• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would you say practicing on the vanilla melee is obsolete now?

AirFair

Marth tho
It's just that I've heard that people practice a lot on vanilla melee by themselves, and I was wondering if that was very efficient or not. Chances are they don't have the hack pack.

Mew2King got really good really fast by practicing on vanilla. 20XX might be better, but it's still useful

Avalancer

Smash Journeyman
20XX is good for looking at very specific things and trying certain things out. I suppose it depends on what exactly you're practicing, for ex. movement and tech like waveshining can be practiced fine on vanilla melee.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
There is nothing you can do in vanilla that you can't do with the 20XX pack, but there are so, so many things that you can only do with the 20XX pack. For those that say otherwise... they aren't using or haven't explored the hack pack enough.

If you have the means to get the hack pack, get it. Learn how to use all it's features, learn how to use the save and load states without freezing the game even if it's super annoying at first. You will not regret it. If you can't, well, it's not required, but you are certainly missing out on the best tools for improvement.

Mastodon

Smash Apprentice
Melee discs are obsolete; you can run a venue off a bunch of wiis and a melee iso...yet melee discs are still $100 bucks

GspotMicrostock

Smash Rookie
I think 20XX can be a better training session. Two equals with each different setup the 20XX user will probably get more gains. But that's not to say you can't go really hard on vanilla. But it can be more difficult to learn certain things. Watching your L cancels sooo much easier with 20XX. Dan, bring me the disc god dannit

Top Bottom