• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would you say Ike is an easy character to use?

Eliwood

Smash Rookie
NNID
Profchaos243
3DS FC
2191-7880-6989
Hello awesome Ike mains!
So im pretty sure a few of you have seen a chart where it shows how easy a character is to use. I saw Ike in the "Easy to use section"
Honestly, I disagree with that. Ike is not an easy character to me. It takes a while to get good with him as you need strong....uhh fundamentals? xD You know, like reads, spacing. Oh well, I just don't think Ike is a easy character to use where anybody can just pick him up. I want to hear your opinion guys cx

Arrei

Smash Lord
I wouldn't call him easy to use, just that most of his bread and butter combos are more simplistic, usually consisting of landing two good hits that don't get thwarted by DI too much. He has way too many unsafe moves to call him easy to use. Sure, it isn't hard to Uthrow -> Fair but Ike can't simply charge in and exchange fisticuffs like a character with less endlag can.

Eliwood

Smash Rookie
NNID
Profchaos243
3DS FC
2191-7880-6989
I wouldn't call him easy to use, just that most of his bread and butter combos are more simplistic, usually consisting of landing two good hits that don't get thwarted by DI too much. He has way too many unsafe moves to call him easy to use. Sure, it isn't hard to Uthrow -> Fair but Ike can't simply charge in and exchange fisticuffs like a character with less endlag can.
Exactly! lol it's not like Shiek with the Fair strings. Those who say he is easy need to experiment with Ike more. His power is not an automatic ease of use haha...believe me I have heard people say Ike is easy because of his power....

RedKnightXIII

Smash Rookie
His moves are straight forward attacks for the most part, its connecting his moves together and moving him effectively on the stage that's hard.
If we wanna get technical every character is almost this way, learning their basic moves is easy, but actually playing the character and figuring out their weaknesses is hard. Gotta think also if its a player weakness rather than a character weakness.

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
I think all heavy characters are easy to use because you don't have to be frame perfect with everything. More-over Ike's hit boxes last such a long time. You can put one out and a minute later have it hit your opponent.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
He's easy to pick up since he's one of my mains. He ain't easy to use though due to him being a heavyweight but I got used to it.

Routa

Smash Lord
He is easy to pick up and is very easy to use on low lvl play. When you move to mid lvl play things will get harder. He is one of the easiest characters to use on paper, but...

Easy to pick up? Yup
Easy to master? Mmm...
Easy on low lvl play? Yup
Easy on mid lvl play? Mmm...
Easy on high lvl play? Oh dear no

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
I'm honestly not sure I'd agree that he's easy to pick up for low level play. Sure, any joker can pick him up and spam Fsmashes all day against people who run into them facefirst and marvel at how stronk he is. I'm not sure I'd even call that low level play though. In my opinion spacing-based characters are the hardest ones to simply pick up as anyone unfamiliar with the concept of spacing will just find their movements awkward and clumsy, particularly ones with higher amounts of punishable endlag like Ike. Whenever a bad Ike shows up on a Youtuber's video, they're impossibly bad.

Maik93

Smash Cadet
NNID
Maik_93
In my opinion Ike is one of the characters that represents Smash the best:
He is quite simple to learn if you just want to play a bit with your friends.
But he is hard to master if you want to go on a more competitive Level.

XenoBlur

Smash Cadet
NNID
XEN0_BLUR
I think that Ike is a really hard character to master, like Mario776 said "He's easy to pick up. He isn't easy to do well with." (I don't main Ike, My sister does)
Ryo with Ike is a beast, last time I was watching his stream, he footstool and sweet-spotted d-air, then a grab in to up-air and killed a Little mac (Sol, that is a good Little Mac, also Ryo´s partner in doubles).
In the chart, I would put Ike and Sheik in A or A+
I change the list according to my thoughts and experiences (Is the original but with Sheik and Ike higher), if anyone want to see it, here is: https://twitter.com/Xeno_Blur/status/625018924661276672

Last edited:

Trunks159

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Trunks159
Ike is kinda the type of character to reveal the flaws in the player who uses him. So if you're good, he's not hard to use.

Trueblade

Smash Cadet
NNID
TruestBlade
3DS FC
0061-0303-4576
He's easy in the sense that he's a character very rooted in fundamentals. It's clear what he wants and he doesn't really have much in the way of gimmicks. Ike is also hard to play for the same reasons. A player needs to be very strong fundamentally in order to do well with him because that's most of what he is.

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
He's easy in the sense that he's a character very rooted in fundamentals. It's clear what he wants and he doesn't really have much in the way of gimmicks. Ike is also hard to play for the same reasons. A player needs to be very strong fundamentally in order to do well with him because that's most of what he is.
This. You are rewarded just for being good at the game. You need a good jab game, mixups, spacing, etc. The thing Ike has that's not as far as other characters is that he doesn't have to respect a lot of hitboxes in the game.

Ike is kinda the type of character to reveal the flaws in the player who uses him. So if you're good, he's not hard to use.
Woah, really like how that's worded.

Last edited:

Aquasition

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1091-8948-2851
While Ike works his best if you have the fundamentals down, and is relatively straightforward (though not as straightforward as the Pits), randomly pressing buttons will get you KO'd due to Ike's average frame data, and you need to have Ike's spacing down or you're not gonna have a good time.

I'd say B or A would be appropriate

(Also from what I saw of that list, Yoshi is apparently more difficult to use than Ike. Really now?)

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Sonic is in the wrong place on that difficulty to use list.

You constantly have options within your options (potentially within your options!) and you gotta be able to rapidly compare those chains of possible actions against your opponent's possible actions AND their habits. While making sure you don't make predictable habits yourself.

He takes a lot of work.

COLDRAMEN

Smash Rookie
NNID
WARMRAMEN
Could someone post a link to the original chart. I can't seem to find it, also i've been an ike main since day 1 of the 3ds release and honestly agree with most of the opinions in this thread.

Top Bottom