• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would you say character selection is also a measure of skill?

Uffe

Smash Hero
As long as I have fun, I could care less if I win or lose. Ness is a low tier failure, but he's who I enjoy most. He has a lot of options and there's a lot I can do when I play as him.
I wouldn't say failure. Look at ViceGrip, Dog Latin and FOW.

*_Echo_*

Smash Journeyman
no not at all. it does not measure skill wat so ever.

a good example is gimpyfish in melee, he played bowser and was **** but didnt get far in tourneys because he played a low tier but if he played fox, shiek, marth ect. he would probly be like M2K :p
but CPing to a better match up is just smart. but if u can win that bad match up with that low tier that shows much more skill imo

Vecayse

Smash Apprentice
Players pick their charecters to fit their play style. Gimpyfish likes how bowser plays, knows bowser sucks, but he does best with bowser. (from what I've seen of his fox, it sucked).
I have to agree with this, because this is how I picked my main and how the people I play smash with picked their mains. But then again the "extents" that people would go to in order to win sound pretty correct too. I mean yeah some people do just play in order to win and may just pick MK for the best possible advantage. Or some may just play to win with their main.

But I'd disagree with the actual question. No I don't think character selection is a measure of skill.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Probably not. The players that are truly good at this game put that skill to use.

They pick anyone that isn't garbage.
This post caught my eye.

Just out of curiosity, what do you consider to be "garbage" material.

UberMario

Smash Master
Only if you completely owned the other person before and are trying to make it look even. ;)

Scipion121212

Smash Apprentice
No it isn´t. Because you don´t have to have skill to look at tier list.
And to respond to others who say that how well you do depends on how well the character "fits you".. I disagree, completely. Unless you mean snake fits you more than meta, but that´s exception. After short/long training you will find yourself better with meta/snake than your main. Period.

UncleSam

Smash Master
And to respond to others who say that how well you do depends on how well the character "fits you".. I disagree, completely. Unless you mean snake fits you more than meta, but that´s exception. After short/long training you will find yourself better with meta/snake than your main. Period.
after short/long training I found my TL to be better than my MK
don't let the tier list control you, you shouldn't use that list to pick a char. people who do probably suck at the game, or are ***s that only care about winning
EDIT: character picking doesn't show somebody's skill but if that player is skilled with said character, it's a different story

UberMario

Smash Master

If you were talking to me, I wasn't referring to the tier list. It's a given that almost everyone is best with a certain character. What I was implying was that if you completely smoked them with your main, you could use a secondary to make it seem closer, thus showing you have guts and skill that transcends just using one character only.

Prawn

Smash Master
I play Ice Climbers because I like watching people cry, nuff said.

Top Bottom