• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

would you pay for alt costumes?

would you buy alt costumes packs

• yes

Votes: 72 37.1%
  • no

Votes: 19 9.8%
  • depends on what alt costumes they have.

Votes: 118 60.8%

• Total voters

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Not really. People are entitled to do what they like with their money. Nintendo are a business, and the essence of running a good business is to offer products and services to people that they want and are willing to pay for. So, all in all, this just reaffirms the innate notion that DLC is a great concept for Nintendo and its fans, both from a marketing and hype-generating viewpoints.
i don't care what people do with there money, i just don't want a tekken? ( i don't know what game it was) and have alt costumes packs and they all cost 3 bucks each.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
i don't care what people do with there money, i just don't want a tekken? ( i don't know what game it was) and have alt costumes packs and they all cost 3 bucks each.
Tekken, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur and Skullgirls all have similar DLC costume bundles, if that helps at all.

That's the point of DLC, though: it's entirely optional and has no real bearing on the game. If they didn't have time to or couldn't manage to put it in final roster, what's the harm in including new stuff later on for people that do actually want to get new stuff?

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Tekken, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur and Skullgirls all have similar DLC costume bundles, if that helps at all.

That's the point of DLC, though: it's entirely optional and has no real bearing on the game. If they didn't have time to or couldn't manage to put it in final roster, what's the harm in including new stuff later on for people that do actually want to get new stuff?
i just don't want to see Nintendo do the bad way of dlc, and i guess a bundle is not bad but i still don't see the appeal of buying costumes maybe a character, but as i said a bundle is not bad it could come with a stage to what would be nice

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Depends on the designs they offer. Otherwise I wouldn't waste money on something I don't really need.

Last edited:

Folt

Smash Ace
I'm hoping I won't need to pay for alts. It gives me bad memories of Dissidia and how weakwilled I was in regards to those.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I wouldn't buy costumes unless they were legitimate characters like Alph or the Koopalings. For all intents and purposes, they're 1:1 clones selectable under a single character. So I would accept those.

Otherwise, I don't think I'd buy them individually, just if they had a pack. And I'd have to really want whatever was available.

I'd say no, overall. I wouldn't spend more than $1 on a single costume (that was a character). Anything more is just idiotic to me. Buying costumes in general is stupid, but different characters (as costumes) is still technically different characters. It's a bit different from, say, Link in an alternate tunic or outfit.

QuickRat

Smash Journeyman
It's sad to see how many people doesn't claim about the poor alt costumes we have in the vanilla version and then they beg for the possibility of buying them separately. I would never ever buy just an alt costume... I could buy an entire expansion with new characters, modes, stages, gameplay corrections and, of course, alt costumes. But if Nintendo is hoping I'm gonna spend $3 in Pijama Ness, they're pretty wrong.

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
I'd pay if it was character alts like Alph or the Koopalings. Roy for Marth, Chrom for Ike, Ninten for Ness, Daisy for Peach, Metal Sonic for Sonic...Yeah, those would be awesome.
As for simple coloring schemes...I might be tempted to buy some if Robin gets alts that change his hair style and stuff, but that's it.

K-45

Smash Journeyman
Mini FAQ has been added for people who are not sure about what the dlc would have to offer and be apart of.

BlueZard

Smash Journeyman
NNID
tangerine1234
I'm actually more than pleased with the ones we got.
If they were to offer some really good ones for characters I actually use, then I might be interested at least. But I typically don't get DLC, so even then there's no guarantee that I'd actually buy it... It depends.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
If the pricing's as good as MK8's DLC, then absolutely hell yes, I'd buy any Smash DLC right away, especially if it included costumes that Sakurai would've added if he wasn't lazy and actually used 'too hard' as an excuse to not add things.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
ONLY if:

Toc-Man
Yukata Lucina
Kid Robin(pref male)
Virtual Boy ROB

So yeah, it depends.

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
I'm going to buy any and all DLC that ssb4 has. :D

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
That depends. If it's more skins where it's just recolor stuff (Giving Mario a fancy new Orange skin) No, thanks. But if we're talking something like what Little Mac's training hoodie is, then hell yes. But it would also depend on whether it's for a character I actually use. So, I'd be pretty picky about it, but if a cool skin came out for someone like Ness or Shulk, I would absolutely get it.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yes, I am a little disappointed that Smash 4 could not compete with the industry standard of at least one alternative costume per character; however, if it requires the incentive of DLC money for Sakurai to develop the game properly, so be it. It is not as though I am smart enough to just buy Smash once. I am one of the incompetent individuals that will buy the game twice. Once for early access and the other for the full product.

:4jigglypuff:

Last edited:

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
ONLY if:

Toc-Man
Yukata Lucina
Kid Robin(pref male)
Virtual Boy ROB

So yeah, it depends.
I'm not even joking around, Toc-Man is too big. And he's nothing like Pac-Man.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
Nope.

In the end, costumes are basically just minor aesthetical changes that don't affect the overall experience in the slightest. I'd like having them, but not enough to spend any extra money.

The only way I'd ever get some costumes, is if they sold them in an extremely cheap pack (no freaking way I'd spend any more than $5), have the pack include like, a lot of them (not worth it if I just get a couple of them) have them be like, really good (stuff like Alph and the Koopalings and cool while I'd just laugh at the idea of paying for something like Link's Skyloft clothing) AND I had some leftover money on the eShop that I didn't want to spend on anything else.

Meaning, I doubt it'll happen. They're just not very worth it.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'm not even joking around, Toc-Man is too big. And he's nothing like Pac-Man.
Inb4 ridley

In all fairness, Smash does not stay canonical to size all the time. And really, anything can happen.

That's just my dream.

FangedSniper

Smash Apprentice
Multiple Factors would be involved:

Is it a character I main?
Is it a costume swap (same character, different clothes/features like Mac's hood) a pallete swap, or a full-on character swap (Alph)
Does it look nice?

wifishark

Smash Rookie
Only if A.) They are references to other Nintendo game and B.) They are for my mains.

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
I previously said that I would only pay for a Dr. Mario alt for Mario, but thankfully he's a playable character again. I'd probably pay for a alt for Mr. Game & Watch that was a lighter shade of Cyan, similar to the one in Brawl.

alex6309

Smash Ace
NNID
Dr.Dom
Probably only Dr. Luigi/Wario, Hyrule Warriors & Timeskip OOT Ganondorf, Mario Party 2 Costumes for the chars in that game, GX Falcon, Blood Falcon, and a Roy alt for Marth/Lucina.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
In a heart beat. I am a sucker for costumes and will eat that **** up like no ones business.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Yes. I love costumes, haha.

If any costumes come out for Kirby, I would go up to Sakurai and personally hand him my money to get them.

then i would punch him for cutting ice climbers

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII

All. Can we just have all for Smash Alts? I'd pay top dollar for that.

TheBlossomingLily

Stitchface King
NNID
BlossomingLily
3DS FC
1736-0702-8981
I can only hope that the advertisement there can be a start to making those kind of costumes.
In the meantime I guess it's finally going to be time to dump some extra cash into a new 3DS or 3DS decorations, because some of those designs are just too adorable for me to pass up~

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I was pretty dissapointed in the number of costumes that the team neglected to put it. Yeah, classic Wario, Bikini Samus, Pink Hoody Mac, Alph, and others were great additions but I felt there could of been more alts included. I do hope their are several costume packs that include 5-6 costumes per pack. Here are a few I would like to see:
:4mario: (Cosmic Mario, Referee Mario, Boomerang Mario)
:4luigi: (Mr. L, Dr. Luigi)
:4bowser: (Strikers Bowser, Dry Bowser, Dark Bowser)
:4peach: (Dark Peach, Nurse Peach, Sporty Beach)
:rosalina: (Cosmic Rosalina, Sporty Rosalina)
:4dk: (Boxing Glove DK)
:4diddy: (Sunglasses Diddy)
:4yoshi: (Yarn Yoshi)
:4link: (Skyward Sword Link, Ocarina of Time Link, Retro Link)
:4zelda: (Skyward Sword Zelda, Hooded Zelda, Possessed Zelda)
:4tlink: (Outset Link)
:4ganondorf: ( Time of Time Ganondorf, Demise)
:4metaknight: (Dark Meta Knight, Galacta Knight)
:4dedede: (Masked Dedede, Dark Dedede)
:4samus: (PED Suit, Hazard Suit)
:4fox: (James McCloud)
:4falco: (Assault)
:4pikachu: (Any one of the Pikachu cosplays in the new R/S remakes)
:4charizard::4greninja::4lucario: (Shinies!)
:4falcon: (Phoenix)
:4pit: (Retro Pit, Centurion Armor Pit)
:4palutena: (Retro Palutena, Psuedo-Palutena)
:4darkpit: (Dark Pit made to look Retro)
:4marth: (SSBM Marth)
:4myfriends: (SSBB Ike)
:4lucina: (Masked version pl0x)
:4ness: (PJ Ness)
:4shulk: (Jungle Armor Shulk)
:4duckhunt: (Lol Ameterasu)
:4sonic: (Metal Sonic)
:4megaman: (8-bit Mega Man)
:4pacman: (Mrs. Pac Man)

Any others character, I can't really think of an alt costume or I am happy with what they have.

subata

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3368-2147-2073
It's sad to see how many people doesn't claim about the poor alt costumes we have in the vanilla version and then they beg for the possibility of buying them separately. I would never ever buy just an alt costume... I could buy an entire expansion with new characters, modes, stages, gameplay corrections and, of course, alt costumes. But if Nintendo is hoping I'm gonna spend $3 in Pijama Ness, they're pretty wrong.
i think nintendo would probably do it as alts + stages + characters, as they definitely did sell a character with a set of courses in mario golf, and also is going to sell 3 characters with 8 tracks and 4 karts for mario kart 8, however i don't know how sakurai goes about selling dlc.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime

Yes, I would. Day one. Please, Nintendo :D

Top Bottom