• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Would anyone still buy SSB if it wasnt Nintendo themed?

Omhatoen

Smash Apprentice
Depends; what would it be like?

I wouldn't want it on the 360, mainly because of the Headset option. WTF! Why would I want to hear someone say "****ing noob" and "man you ****ing suck!". That's why I prefer Nintendo than Microsoft.

But I can't wait for the PS3 version of smash with Cloud Sora and Leon Kennedy!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Depends; what would it be like?

I wouldn't want it on the 360, mainly because of the Headset option. WTF! Why would I want to hear someone say "****ing noob" and "man you ****ing suck!". That's why I prefer Nintendo than Microsoft.

But I can't wait for the PS3 version of smash with Cloud Sora and Leon Kennedy!
Notice none of those are 1st party SONY characters...

The problem with people that want a SONY Bros. game, they list 3rd party characters...

mas369

Smash Apprentice
To answer the question that this thread asks, it would depend on if you are talking about SSB in general or just Brawl

If it is the whole series you are talking about, then the answer would not only be no, but I wouldn't be here to answer this question if it were so. I wanted SSB as a Poke`mon obsessed kid because it had Pikachu in it. SSB intoduced me to the Nintendo world in general (though, I was already familiar with Mario from playing the games on my brothers NES when I was about 2 or 3). Nintendo introduced me to the online gaming comunity, and that introduced me to the gaming world at large. So SSB is the reason I am a hardcore gamer today, and if it didn't have nintendo's major franchises (namely Poke`mon), I woudn't be who I am now.

If it is just Brawl, however, then if I have heard of it and the general concensus is that it is good, then I would get it

Pieman0920

Smash Master
It sure would be different, wouldn't it.....The original SSB could have been easily had original characters replace the main cast, but Melee and Brawl expanded it so much that you need a actual company's franchise, rather than original characters. I guess it all depends on whatever the alternative may have been.

mista_mista

Smash Journeyman
If it had the same physics, gameplay, etc., then I would buy it. I like the Nintendo characters and everything, but the gameplay is my favorite part.

Senor Crouch

Smash Journeyman
I am not sure, probably not though.

I mean when I first heard the name of Super Smash Bros. I truely thought that it was just a rip off of Super Mario Bros. (mind you I had only heard the name Super Smash Bros. 64, I didn't know what the game was like and I was still naive back then).
Then my friend came over and brought Smash 64 with her and told me that Super Smash Bros. was a great game for the N64. I was extremely skeptical, but then I took a look at the box cover and I was like, "No way, is that Pikachu? So wait this game is made up of all the Nintendo All-Stars? This is so awesome, I have been wanting Nintendo to do something like this for awhile!" (I believe I was introduced to 'This World' right around the time Melee was coming out.)
Anyways the point of my tangent is that I probably would not have gotten into Smash if it wasn't for the Nintendo cast.

Gesi1223

Smash Apprentice
lol. Ouch. I actually liked the Adventure series. (All 2 of them)

Well, from what I've seen, Sega Superstar Tennis looks enjoyable... but I know that doesn't match the greatness of Brawl.
Sonic Rush is where he practically went back to his roots. Too bad the recent Sonic console games are nowhere near as good as the handheld Sonic games.

Edit: If SSB didn't have Nintendo characters? I dunno, I really cannot say whether I'd play it or not.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well here,

I don't think enough people would have heard of smash for it to reach Brawl level whether you like the gameplay or not...

The gameplay wasn't it's selling point and it's not the reason people bought the games in the first place...

It'd probably end up as a cult classic

SmashFi3nd

Smash Apprentice
Idk if I would buy it. It really has to depend on the characters. It would just be weird logging on your computer looking at a different Dojo and seeing everybody excited that Mario made it as a 3rd Party character.

Spellman

Smash Ace
The historical value and seeing my favorite characters looking their very best is one of the reasons I like Smash Bros.

That being said, I really hope I'd buy it, 'cause even if it was a bunch of other characters shelled in this type of game play, it would still be awesome.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I mean, the reason it is so famous is that Nintendo Characters fight. I wouldn't have ever heard of it if it didn't.

How about u?
Probably not... as a Nintendo Fanboy.. I would be saying "Man, this should have used Nintendo characters"

But why are we asking this question? Are we really THAT starved for thread ideas? sigh..

Sychu

Smash Apprentice
I never played fighting games because i hated all of them (Power Stone Wars not included) but, when i saw that a fighting game was out with many of my favorite video game characters duking it out i got interested, but still didn't buy it. Then, every single day that passed by it seemed like all the kids in my elementary school where talking about it nonstop just like they where doing with DBZ, Pokemon cards etc. So i finally snapped and rented the game over the weekend. After turning it on and playing it with my brother and 2 cousins we all became so addicted so quickly and ferociosly that we didn't turn the game off the WHOLE weekend (well of course for eating and chores but no more than 2-3 hours) and we all still continue to play it till this day. This WOULD NOT have happned if Smash Brothers didn't have famous Nintendo characters in it.

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
The reason most wouldn't buy is that graphical and aesthetic hype concerning characters, looks and other bells and whistles are a great deal of why people play games to begin with. But as for if everyone'd enjoy it once they do buy it? Easily. It plays great, of course.

Gameplay can easily hold on its own of course, in fact seeing just plain polygon models might refresh it for me once in a while as I'd focus on the fighting as a focal point; but people need motive to actually buy something.

Thats about all.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Nah may not buy unless the roster is intresting and unique. I wish they have a spinoff called super smash pokemon: featuring only pokemon!

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
Getting back on topic . . .

In the event that there was a game that played exactly like Smash Bros, but did not feature Nintendo characters, I'd still buy it if it had a full cast of Square characters. Think about it:

Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy (I - XIII and Tactics), Xenogears, Super Mario RPG, Vagrant Story, Legend of Mana, Actraiser, etc.

There is a metric ton of GOOD characters they could throw in. Now, I know there is always the new 'Dissidia' (or whatever it's called) game coming out, but odds are that it isn't going to play just like Smash does . . .

The only other company I could tolerate would be Capcom.
Oh wow. You could have the pretty guy with the hair and the sword, or the other pretty guy with the hair and the different sword, or that third guy who isn't as pretty, but he really has the hair, and then an even more unique sword still. Oh, and don't forget sad girls with magic powers numbers 1-6.

Variety.

Anyway, they kinda did that with Ergheiz, and it really sucked. Maybe using the Smash engine?

L-ectrico

Smash Apprentice
Probably not... as a Nintendo Fanboy.. I would be saying "Man, this should have used Nintendo characters"

But why are we asking this question? Are we really THAT starved for thread ideas? sigh..
I was thinking, " What if SSB had different characters?" Then I wondered what others thought.

pwnzorz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ABlackMage
3DS FC
0103-9129-9741
i would like a square-enix ssb.
Final Fantasy + Star Ocean + Kingdom Hearts??
It would be good too.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
If I had played it probably yes. Because under the awesome Nintendo characters and worlds you still got a great innovative fighting game. But it wouldn't have as much appeal.

CojaxCojax

Smash Rookie
I think it'd be cool to have a fighting game like smash with the same gameplay, only it was also similar to mugen in that you could add your own characters. Provided people balanced characters as you liked. And it'd come with a big roster from most game companies that would never ever partner together, and some non-game characters. 4-man FFA stock battle with Master Chief, Pikachu, Bruce Lee, and Dante.
Amirite, guys?
And I don't even want to think of a moveset for Master Chief. That'd be...terrifying.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure the Nintendo theme gets a lot more people buying it than a game without it would, but it would probably have some demand because of it's unique ringout playstyle.

iMichael

Smash Lord
No.

1. Not Nintendo themed and Nintendo *****
2. No epic Nintendo music
3. Sakurai wouldn't even be on this project
4. probably come out for the Ps3 and 360, but not the Wii
5. whats more cooler than a Italian plumber duking it out with a pink cute puffy ball ^_^

Top Bottom