• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worst to best, New Characters

BlueShadow.EXE

Smash Cadet
NNID
BlueShadow.EXE
3DS FC
2036-9070-3056
It's pretty self-explanatory, I'll start it off. BTW No Mii's because they can either be terrible or great.
14: Little Mac
13: Mega Man
12: Duck-Hunt
11: Villager
10: Bowser Jr.
9: Robin
8: Pac-Man
7: Shulk
6: Palutana
5: Rosalina & Luma
4: Dark Pit
3: Wii Fit Trainer
2: Greninja
1: Lucina

Last edited:

blue_flavored

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blueflavored
14. Little Mac (worst character ever IMO)
13. Palutina
12. Wii Fit Trainer
11. Pac-Man
10. Lucina
9. Dark Pit
8. Shulk
7. Greninja
6. Duck Hunt Dog
5. Robin
4. Mega Man
3. Bowser Jr.
2. Villager
1. Rosalina & Luma

Defex

Smash Cadet
NNID
toot1231
In terms of who I think is the best.

14. Wii Fit
13. Palutina
12. Lil Mac
11. Lucina
10. Robin
9. Dark Pit
8. Shulk
7. Pac Man
6. Duck Hunt Dog
5. Mega Man
4. Bowser JR
3. Greninja
2. Villager
1. Rosalina

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
14. Duck Hunt Dog - Nothing will make me like this damn mutt.
13. Little Mac - Predictable
12. Mega Man - Again predictable but has the limited air game
11. Pac-man - I don't care.
10. Dark Pit - Ow the edge
9. Villager - Nothing special
8. Bowser Jr - Impartial to him
7. Palutena - I wanted her in but she isn't my style
6. Rosalina - Pretty strong but too reliant on Luma to be really effective
5. Greninja - Solid moveset
4. WFT -
3. Robin - Good mix of projectiles and close combat.
2. Lucina - I like her (and Marth's) playstyle. But ultimately she's a clone.
1. Monado Boy - He easily has some of the most potential in the game with his arts.

not sure if worst tier wise or just not liking.

If its the second im pretty sure it's against da rulez.

The first im pretty sure involves a lock too.

Shulk is the best at both obviously

Last edited:

Drippy

Smash Ace
14. Palutena
13. Lucina
12. Wii Fit Trainer
11. Little Mac
10. Pac-Man
9. Dark Pit
8. Duck Hunt
7. Bowser Jr
6. Robin
5. Megaman
4. Greninja
3. Shulk
2. Villager
1. Rosalina &Luma
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
That's my opinion from worse to best new characters. Palutena without customs is just way to weak in my opinion, a lot of lag on moves and overall not the best special moves (it's very dependent on match-up). Lucina is worse than Marth in like any way. Wii Fit Trainer just isn't that great without customs either in my opinion but I haven't played enough or seen enough WFT to confidently say that. Little Mac despite his crap recovery I still feel needs to be higher up because he's quite strong. Pac-Man is pretty strong but is really hard to play effectively and takes a lot of time to put into. Dark Pit is like Pit and they're both good in their own match-ups. Duck Hunt Dog I find very powerful when used correctly. Bowser Jr / Robin takes a lot of time to get good with and is pretty strong when used correctly. Megaman / Greninja / Shulk in my opinion are all extremely strong characters but are sleeper because of their high skill caps. Villager / Rosalina & Luma are pretty self-explanatory.

Bob Bills

Smash Cadet
I'll do it from worst to best:

The Bad:

14. Lucina - Laziest clone in the series (moveset-wise), and has absolutely no benefits over Marth.
13. WFT - Bad character idea (She's not even a main character), worse execution (I think someone really overestimated how powerful she would be).
12. Dark Pit - Second laziest clone in the series (moveset wise), laziest clone in every other way.
11. Palutena - Very bad playstyle. Everything's laggy, and did they really have to make her worst specials her default ones?
10. Rosalina - Not exactly the best character to represent the Mario series. Toad would probably have worked better.

The okay:

9. Greninja - Would rank higher if it weren't for the constant nerfs. Plus, the fact he was included before most people knew of his existence seems rather jarring.
8. Shulk - More of a "meh" addition (I've never played Xenoblade, so yeah). Too many memes.
7. Robin - Same as Shulk, but the fact that he/she doesn't have any annoying memes gives him/her the edge.
6. Villager - Creative moveset, just not into his playstyle.

The good:

5. PAC-MAN - Never wanted him in until I saw how he was pulled off. He has a nice, creative, and quirky moveset. The PAC-LAND stage brings him down though.
4. Bowser Jr. - I love mechanized fighters, and I feel Bowser Jr. was pulled off well. The Koopaling alts are nice too.
3. Little Mac - He was one of my most wanted additions, and his boxing style and close-range combat are nothing short of awesome.
2. Mega Man - He was clearly made with great attention to detail, and his moves and sound effects all referrencing his series ultimately make him one of the best additions to this game.
1. Duck Hunt - Easily the most creative character addition in this game. His moveset is interesting, his alts are cool, and his stage is actually fun to fight on. What's not to love?

Last edited:

Karinole

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Karinole
:rosalina:#1 not close
:4robinf::4robinm:#2
:4lucina:#3
:4duckhunt:#4
:4darkpit:#5
:4palutena:#6
:4wiifit:#7
:4bowserjr:#8
:4pacman:#9
:4villager:#10
:4megaman:#11
:4shulk:#12
:4greninja:#13
:4littlemac:#14

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
15. :4darkpit:: Started as an alternative costume, should've stayed one. Never wanted 'dark' versions of characters in, and Dark Pit is worse than anything they could've given instead.
14. :4mii:: Would've been the absolute most stupid idea ever if Dark Pit wasn't there. Time consumption for these 3 "characters" who literally nobody plays as should've been spared to give us at least one more unique newcomer.
13. :4wiifit:: I have no fun fighting as this character, who by her absurd "logic" of getting in, at the very least should've been fun. She's exactly as she looks like... A mannequin devoit of emotion.
12. :4pacman:: Everything about this character just screams ":4gaw: on a bad trip" to me... I never liked his inclusion, never played as him.
11. :4lucina:: I have respect for the character herself, but her playstyle is just :4marth: without the flair... She's ranked this high because I actually like :4marth:.
10. :4villager:: I only play as him if I want to lose / troll. Planting trees is fun, but the overall inclusion of this character still feels wrong to me.
9. :4palutena:: Never thought she'd be this boring.
8. :4littlemac:: Unlike as above, probably exactly as boring as I envisioned.
7. :4greninja:: Missed his whole generation, as well as the previous one. Still, his moveset is more fun than everything listed lower than him.
6. :4shulk:: I like fighting against him mostly. Respect him most as an opponent, but it's not like I play all these other characters either :laugh: It seems he has potential though.
5. :4duckhunt:: Woof? Woof woof woof!
4. :4bowserjr:: Bowser Jr. was actually a character I wanted in Brawl, but lost interesst in later on. Was surprised to see him, and his moveset is actually quite fun! Him using the Koopa Clown Car was a great idea, as well as adding all the Koopalings as alts!
3. :rosalina:: Never played as her, but her moveset is extremely flashy looking and she's an overall very strong character obviously. I enjoy fighting her a lot! Smash's first puppeteer character to, and she was the first newcomer I actually felt innitial hype for!
2.:4megaman:: Yes, I never expected that I'd rank MegaMan this high either. But yes, after giving him a try I liked him a lot... Can't lie. He fits in perfectly, and despite not being too familiar with MegaMan the series, I can respect his addition. The only third party character I fully, 100% respect.
1. :4robinm:/:4robinf:: Never thought I wanted him / her till I saw him / her in action! Having never played Awakening didn't stop me from liking the character as the whole character is just overall the ideal character to represent Fire Emblem as a whole. The only newcomer I also actually play as. That has to say a lot!

BlueShadow.EXE

Smash Cadet
NNID
BlueShadow.EXE
3DS FC
2036-9070-3056
15. :4darkpit:: Started as an alternative costume, should've stayed one. Never wanted 'dark' versions of characters in, and Dark Pit is worse than anything they could've given instead.
14. :4mii:: Would've been the absolute most stupid idea ever if Dark Pit wasn't there. Time consumption for these 3 "characters" who literally nobody plays as should've been spared to give us at least one more unique newcomer.
13. :4wiifit:: I have no fun fighting as this character, who by her absurd "logic" of getting in, at the very least should've been fun. She's exactly as she looks like... A mannequin devoit of emotion.
12. :4pacman:: Everything about this character just screams ":4gaw: on a bad trip" to me... I never liked his inclusion, never played as him.
11. :4lucina:: I have respect for the character herself, but her playstyle is just :4marth: without the flair... She's ranked this high because I actually like :4marth:.
10. :4villager:: I only play as him if I want to lose / troll. Planting trees is fun, but the overall inclusion of this character still feels wrong to me.
9. :4palutena:: Never thought she'd be this boring.
8. :4littlemac:: Unlike as above, probably exactly as boring as I envisioned.
7. :4greninja:: Missed his whole generation, as well as the previous one. Still, his moveset is more fun than everything listed lower than him.
6. :4shulk:: I like fighting against him mostly. Respect him most as an opponent, but it's not like I play all these other characters either :laugh: It seems he has potential though.
5. :4duckhunt:: Woof? Woof woof woof!
4. :4bowserjr:: Bowser Jr. was actually a character I wanted in Brawl, but lost interesst in later on. Was surprised to see him, and his moveset is actually quite fun! Him using the Koopa Clown Car was a great idea, as well as adding all the Koopalings as alts!
3. :rosalina:: Never played as her, but her moveset is extremely flashy looking and she's an overall very strong character obviously. I enjoy fighting her a lot! Smash's first puppeteer character to, and she was the first newcomer I actually felt innitial hype for!
2.:4megaman:: Yes, I never expected that I'd rank MegaMan this high either. But yes, after giving him a try I liked him a lot... Can't lie. He fits in perfectly, and despite not being too familiar with MegaMan the series, I can respect his addition. The only third party character I fully, 100% respect.
1. :4robinm:/:4robinf:: Never thought I wanted him / her till I saw him / her in action! Having never played Awakening didn't stop me from liking the character as the whole character is just overall the ideal character to represent Fire Emblem as a whole. The only newcomer I also actually play as. That has to say a lot!
Ok so, no problem with the list as a whole but, in my post, I request you NOT to put Miis in the list.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
HOW MANY TIMES I GONA DO THIS...
WAIT A Minute. the game is out for months... Look this not a tier List ok. so not take seriusly.
Is just opinions of character are put in Smash Bros.

(ACTIVATE FLAME CLOAK) I just don't like these guys(or ladys)
14.:rosalina:-Since are reveal, I thought they ran out of ideas of new characters. She dissapointment to me. Even now, I don't like her in this game.
13.:4lucina:-Lazy clone ever. Even Roy feel more unique than her. Sorry I don't like air and I wish she just a costume.
12.:4darkpit:-Another lazy clone. Dark Pit BEAT lucina because He have more character and diferent personality from Pit. Love his taunts though but this guy :4drmario:is a clone that feel different. don't start me with these guys:wolf::lucas:.

From this point. I not that Mad. Just ok with it:

11.:4bowserjr:-Another Mario character. Somehow, I like it, the koopalings as skin were brilliant idea, is riding a vehicle.I wish they Cut Rosalina over this guy.
10.:4greninja:-He just another pokemon but at least is cool loking. And is very different from others pokemon in the game. but low a little because he kinda dissapointment to me when he was reveal.
9.:4palutena:- I wanted her, but I not really digging it. I love her moveset, she has counter, Reflect, a warp and projectile a good custom moves! She a lot of lag with not enough power, she need more power.

At this point I would point this, these guys are awesome:

8.:4wiifit:-Talk crap, get fits. She is a fun character. That all, is air game is very godly.
7.:4megaman:- I have to say this but, Megaman is not part of my Childhood. never was.
But in reality after play Megaman X4 and HE in Smash bros. is GOD SEND. He have such moveset I can't even explain. Is the most projectile based character ever made. (Is reveal make me cry.)
6.:4littlemac:-I just Punch. Even with Super weak air game, Little Mac is speedy, fast, powerful and OPineess ground game is the most fun character to fool your oppenent with such speed and control. (sorry sonic, until next time.)
5.:4pacman:-Is not just Pac-Man, but he is Namco himself, I adore the love and dedication with this characters.
4.:4robinm:-Best Fire emblem character ever. He represent the core of fire emblem more than Marth. And is a Tome user and Sword user, AWESOME.
3.:4shulk:-I got a good feeling that this guys is the definition of Nintendo can think about others franchise, Shulk treatment need to be in Nintendo Future IP. Love is counter and evolucionary arts system.
2.:4villager:-More than 10 years, this game has been my childhood, And this characters is amazing, the moves, the smash attacks, those specials move, the skin that let you use different avatars and even :4villagerf: murabito and those beutiffull memes of Villager.
I literally lose my Mind when he was the new playable character.
1.:4duckhunt:-WHO THOUGH THAT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA??? NOBODY!! But soemhow Smash Bros. not make awesome, is not, the most unique, amazing crafted, historical and amazing characters I ever seen, I litterally don't believe is real, Duck Hunt Dog is in the game, Official and fighting FREAKING PAC-MAN!!
To me, History remade and reset himself with Duck Hunt Addition. one of the best character ever made.
After is my second Main.

But he could not beat :4olimar:.

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well, I'm gonna start with my least favorite to most favorite newcomers in the game:
14.:4bowserjr:- He's pretty much a big "meh" to me. I never liked him as a character since the moment I laid eyes on him, never will. I also don't like the Koopalings either, least of all :4wendy:. I will say he's a better choice than Daisy, Waluigi and even Toad.
13.:4palutena:- I will say this. I did like her in Kid Icarus: Uprising even though she was pretty annoying at times. I was excited to see her in Smash when she was revealed...until I noticed how much of a **** they made her...just like :4peach:! She's suppose to be a goddess, not a damn stripper!
12.:4wiifit:- Eh, I was fairly neutral about her when she was revealed but she's in the game so...oh well. I do like how they took all her yoga poses and developed them as her movesets.
11. :4greninja:- I'm not really that excited about Greninja in the game mainly because I don't really care about the Pokemon franchise anymore since after Gen 3. So...there you have it. He's still a cool Pokemon though.
10. :4villager:- Well, didn't think it was going to happen but there he goes. Never played an Animal Crossing game before until I picked up New Leaf, which is an amazing simulation game. What drives me crazy about him is this meme people created, in which they portray him as a deranged psychopath with murdeous intent. He's even been referred to as "Killager" as a result. All of that...just cuz of how they zoomed in on him in his reveal trailer.
9. :4darkpit:- I actually really like Dark Pit in this game and I prefer him over the original Pit, even though I still like him. I enjoyed all those times where I had to fight against him and fight alongside him during my run in Kid Icarus: Uprising. Plus, he's the closest thing I have to :wolf:, since he's not in the game, and I plan to pick him up as another secondary.
8. :4robinm::4robinf:- I didn't really expect for him/her to be in the game, to be honest, up until the day he/she was revealed along with Lucina. I did enjoyed playing as Robin, or my unit or the avatar, during the 500+ hours of playing Fire Emblem: Awakening and I did play as him/her a few times in this game. Can say he/she's not an easy character to master but nonetheless, pretty fun to use.
7. :4duckhunt:- I didn't know who he was until I saw him in the ESBR leaks prior to the release of the 3DS version so I really don't have anything to say, although I don't get all the hatin' going on against him. He's just a cute dog...with a cute duck. I mean c'mon!
6. :4shulk:- I've never played Xenoblade Chronicles before but I heard a lot of good things about it and I got interested in who Shulk is. I must say I'm really feeling his movesets especially the Monado Arts and all that good stuff.
5. :4littlemac:- And in this corner...the bruiser from the Bronx...Little Mac!! Okay, I wasn't really that surprised the day he was revealed since I've heard he was requested to be a fighter since before Brawl came out. I didn't know who he was until I saw him as an Assist Trophy character in that game since I've never played the Punch-Out!! games before. I must say, playing as him is just as fun as playing as Rosalina and Mega Man. He sure fights like a true boxing champ!
4. :4pacman:- Who could ever forget about this guy? As someone who has enjoyed playing the arcade game while growing up, of course I was excited to see Pac-Man in the game, even though his movesets feels really awkward for me when I tried him. It would've been weird if all he does is move around back and forth chomping at everyone.
3. :4megaman:- Well, I really don't have anything much to say about him since I've never played the Mega Man games before but his reveal trailer is what really got me interested in playing as him. Needless to say that I really enjoy playing as him a lot.
2. :4lucina:- I've never been so hyped to see her in the game since Rosalina was revealed. I've spent over 500+ hours playing Fire Emblem: Awakening and I absolutely loved Lucina as a character and the role she portrayed in the game, always willing to do anything to protect her beloved father, Chrom (although she can be a little overprotective at some point). Prior to her reveal, I wanted to see either her or Chrom make it to the roster, which I'm satisfied either way. Plus, I don't give a **** if she's a clone.
1. :rosalina:- She was easily my most wanted newcomer for the game. I absolutely love her as a character and I loved her charming, yet tragic, background story in Super Mario Galaxy, which touched a nerve on me. The day she was revealed was the best moment I've ever seen since the Dallas Mavericks beat the Miami Heat at the NBA finals some 3 1/2 years ago. I knew right then that she'll be my automatic main character to play as...and the only Mario rep I will ever play as.

BlueShadow.EXE

Smash Cadet
NNID
BlueShadow.EXE
3DS FC
2036-9070-3056
Well, I'm gonna start with my least favorite to most favorite newcomers in the game:
14.:4bowserjr:- He's pretty much a big "meh" to me. I never liked him as a character since the moment I laid eyes on him, never will. I also don't like the Koopalings either, least of all :4wendy:. I will say he's a better choice than Daisy, Waluigi and even Toad.
13.:4palutena:- I will say this. I did like her in Kid Icarus: Uprising even though she was pretty annoying at times. I was excited to see her in Smash when she was revealed...until I noticed how much of a **** they made her...just like :4peach:! She's suppose to be a goddess, not a damn stripper!
12.:4wiifit:- Eh, I was fairly neutral about her when she was revealed but she's in the game so...oh well. I do like how they took all her yoga poses and developed them as her movesets.
11. :4greninja:- I'm not really that excited about Greninja in the game mainly because I don't really care about the Pokemon franchise anymore since after Gen 3. So...there you have it. He's still a cool Pokemon though.
10. :4villager:- Well, didn't think it was going to happen but there he goes. Never played an Animal Crossing game before until I picked up New Leaf, which is an amazing simulation game. What drives me crazy about him is this meme people created, in which they portray him as a deranged psychopath with murdeous intent. He's even been referred to as "Killager" as a result. All of that...just cuz of how they zoomed in on him in his reveal trailer.
9. :4darkpit:- I actually really like Dark Pit in this game and I prefer him over the original Pit, even though I still like him. I enjoyed all those times where I had to fight against him and fight alongside him during my run in Kid Icarus: Uprising. Plus, he's the closest thing I have to :wolf:, since he's not in the game, and I plan to pick him up as another secondary.
8. :4robinm::4robinf:- I didn't really expect for him/her to be in the game, to be honest, up until the day he/she was revealed along with Lucina. I did enjoyed playing as Robin, or my unit or the avatar, during the 500+ hours of playing Fire Emblem: Awakening and I did play as him/her a few times in this game. Can say he/she's not an easy character to master but nonetheless, pretty fun to use.
7. :4duckhunt:- I didn't know who he was until I saw him in the ESBR leaks prior to the release of the 3DS version so I really don't have anything to say, although I don't get all the hatin' going on against him. He's just a cute dog...with a cute duck. I mean c'mon!
6. :4shulk:- I've never played Xenoblade Chronicles before but I heard a lot of good things about it and I got interested in who Shulk is. I must say I'm really feeling his movesets especially the Monado Arts and all that good stuff.
5. :4littlemac:- And in this corner...the bruiser from the Bronx...Little Mac!! Okay, I wasn't really that surprised the day he was revealed since I've heard he was requested to be a fighter since before Brawl came out. I didn't know who he was until I saw him as an Assist Trophy character in that game since I've never played the Punch-Out!! games before. I must say, playing as him is just as fun as playing as Rosalina and Mega Man. He sure fights like a true boxing champ!
4. :4pacman:- Who could ever forget about this guy? As someone who has enjoyed playing the arcade game while growing up, of course I was excited to see Pac-Man in the game, even though his movesets feels really awkward for me when I tried him. It would've been weird if all he does is move around back and forth chomping at everyone.
3. :4megaman:- Well, I really don't have anything much to say about him since I've never played the Mega Man games before but his reveal trailer is what really got me interested in playing as him. Needless to say that I really enjoy playing as him a lot.
2. :4lucina:- I've never been so hyped to see her in the game since Rosalina was revealed. I've spent over 500+ hours playing Fire Emblem: Awakening and I absolutely loved Lucina as a character and the role she portrayed in the game, always willing to do anything to protect her beloved father, Chrom (although she can be a little overprotective at some point). Prior to her reveal, I wanted to see either her or Chrom make it to the roster, which I'm satisfied either way. Plus, I don't give a **** if she's a clone.
1. :rosalina:- She was easily my most wanted newcomer for the game. I absolutely love her as a character and I loved her charming, yet tragic, background story in Super Mario Galaxy, which touched a nerve on me. The day she was revealed was the best moment I've ever seen since the Dallas Mavericks beat the Miami Heat at the NBA finals some 3 1/2 years ago. I knew right then that she'll be my automatic main character to play as...and the only Mario rep I will ever play as.
FINALLY, someone else who loves using Lucina! I'm not alone!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
1: villager
2: shulk
3: wii fit trainer
4: megaman
5: duck hunt duo
6: greninja
7: palutena
8: robin
9: little mac
10: pac man
11: rosalina
12: bowser jr
13: lucina
14: dark pit

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
From best to worst:
Duck Hunt Duo
Pac Man
Greninja
Mega Man
Bowser Jr
Shulk
Little Mac
Rosalina
Lucina
Wii Fit Trainer
Villager
Robin
Dark Pit
Palutena
Mii Fighters

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
From best to worst...
  1. :rosalina:: Seeing Rosalina was a huge blessing for me, and she has a very unique moveset with her Luma partner by her side.
  2. :4pacman:: Hey, if you're going to involve 3rd party characters, you can't neglect that round ball who has been around before even Mario came to existence.
  3. :4lucina:: Lucina might just be a female Marth, but having a balanced sword means that you don't have to worry about sweetspots very much. Anyway, you won't get any female jokes out of Lucina, since she IS a girl.
  4. :4shulk:: Shulk may be another swordfighter, but that Monado of his can really offer a good amount of changes to his playstyle.
  5. :4duckhunt:: Now here's a duo that's on the odd side. While it's nice that Duck Hunt's moveset involves the NES Zapper, the only problem is that Duck Hunt is quite technical, and doesn't have that many reliable KO moves.
  6. :4megaman:: I will say that Mega Man is quite amusing with his arsenal of different weapons that he can use. However, his moveset can on the inconvenient side sometimes, and he feels advanced as well.
  7. :4palutena:: Palutena seemed good at first, but having laggy moves just doesn't work all that well. At least her custom specials give her some more diversity with her combat options.
  8. :4villager:: It sure was a surprise to see the Villager from Animal Crossing join the fight. However, the fact that people tend to treat him as a psycho or a murderer is just highly disturbing.
  9. :4littlemac:: This guy may be about power and speed, but his abysmal air game can be a downer.
  10. :4robinm:: It's nice how Robin can use his tomes to perform various magic attacks, but having limitations with them is quite inconvenient; all the other projectile users can use their projectiles at any time. Add the fact that Robin is very sluggish, and that makes things even more troubling.
  11. :4bowserjr:: As much as I wanted Bowser Jr. to be in the game, I never wanted him to be stuck using the Koopa Clown Car. That alone made me lose my hype over him, and the fact that the Koopalings are his palette swaps just add extra insult to injury.
  12. :4greninja:: One word, random. I feel that Greninja only made it because of the fact that Froakie is a popular starter in Pokemon X/Y, and Ash owned a Froakie in the anime series, which is now a Frogadier.
  13. :4wiifit:: She's probably one of the most unorthodox characters that I've seen, and I haven't really cared for her very much either.
  14. :4darkpit:: To be frank, Dark Pit never should've been a separate character if he's a Pit clone. A mere palette swap would've been good enough for him.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Detracting from the thread's title, best to worst:

:4megaman:I had little connection with Mega Man prior to his reveal for SSB4, I guess I only heard about him through some online Flash games like Super Smash Flash or Super Mario Crossover, but I think he adds so much awesomeness to SSB4 regardless. I love his moveset, I love how creative, diverse and unique it is, I love how it represents what the Mega Man series is about, and I love using him. Not to mention his amiibo looks awesome and is the only one I own as of now.
:4duckhunt:I heard of the idea of him being playable during SSB4 pre-release and found it to be a rather stupid idea, so I was really surprised to see him in the ESRB leak. I thought it was so hilariously stupid it had to be fake! Though when leaked video footage of Bowser Jr. and Shulk surfaced I instantly started to believe everything that was leaked, including this character, and I started to consider the idea as possibly awesome. A dog who summons ducks to attack? Yes please! Okay, it didn't turn out to be exactly this, but I really liked his moveset, which looked to be very inspired despite the lack of obvious potential from the source material. Him representing the entire NES Zapper series rather than just his one game is indeed awesome, plus it really fits him considering he looks like a Tex Avery character, a characterization which definitely fits his original role. Not to mention I actually played his game when I was a kid.
:4robinm:I was actually kind of anticipating him as a playable character in Smash 4 despite the Gematsu leak apparently destroying his chances, and his reveal trailer was personally the most hype inducing for me. The concept of a character with a crappy base weapon who can use many much stronger weapons with limited use feels very creative to me, and the limited weapon use doesn't feel too intrusive in the actual gameplay and sets him apart from other Fire Emblem characters with their personal and unbreakable weapons. I don't really like how sluggish he is, but I like playing as him.
:4pacman:I never took him seriously prior to his reveal, because I saw no potential in him and definitely didn't want him to have the Ghostly Adventures design (and also because I don't like the idea of two or more third-party characters from the same company... I thought Capcom and Namco were the same thing back then :facepalm:), so when I saw him on SSB4's official site I thought "What the... are they serious?" even though I liked the fact they choose a cooler design. Then I understood why he was included (Namco mascot, pop-culture icon, Miyamoto wanted him blah blah blah) and I grew to like his inclusion. His moveset feels creative and fits him surprisingly well, and I love using him. I'm planning to get his amiibo because it looks really good.
:4bowserjr:I thought about the idea of playable Bowser Jr. in Smash a long time ago, probably in the early post-SSBB era, I already wondered how SSB4 would turn out to be like. But I rejected the idea rather quickly, as I thought it was a stupid one, and when I started to care about SSB4 pre-release I still thought he was a stupid idea. I mean come on, Smash Bros. won't get a secondary villain as a playable character anytime soon! So when the ESRB leak surfaced I was shocked to see him in the roster and he made me want it to be fake. Later leaked video footage definitely proved the leak to be real and I actually was pleasantly surprised to see how he turned out to be. The Koopa Clown Car indeed is a very creative idea and his moveset perfectly represents what his boss fights are about, something he does better than other playable villains imo and that's why I finally like him as a fighter. Though I'm not sold on the idea of Koopalings replacing him for his alt costumes, mostly because Bowser Jr.'s moveset doesn't fit them... like at all.
:4villager:Never played a game from the source series and I have no interest in doing so, but I love his moveset. It is very unique and represents Animal Crossing as a whole very well. However, I don't like some of his alternate costumes which look unappealing. The pink-haired female one in particular, I know it may be an unpopular opinion but I find it to be very ugly.
:4shulk:After his reveal I managed to find a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles and I really like the game so far. However, while the Monado Arts system makes him unique, it doesn't really represent his game very well, because in the source game it doesn't have for purpose to just adjust your stats but to have many different effects on the fight (and btw, Buster is an offensive giant forward slash, NOT a stat-changing art... it should have been Enchant instead). Though I respect the design decision in a way, as the Monado in Xenoblade allows Shulk to have considerably more arts to use in fight than his teammates. Thus it makes sense to give the different Monado arts as one single special move, and for balance's sake making them all similar in a way (like as it is, stat changes) in order to not artificially and unfairly giving him more moves than other Smash characters. (They also put two arts - Jump and Smash - not from the original game, but eh...)
:rosalina:I love the Super Mario Galaxy references in her special moves and the Luma mechanic gives her a very unique playstyle. Using a Smash attack to combo to another with Luma to kill the enemy may be one of the most satisfying things ever in Smash. Though I'm baffled she didn't get the spin attack from Mario Galaxy (and by extension the one she uses in SM3DW). It would have made much more sense than that weird looking dash attack.
:4littlemac:Never been aware of his popularity before the Febuary 2014 Nintendo Direct, though he was the one who made me ride the hype train for SSB4 with his reveal trailer. In fact, I think I found him to be one of the least memorable Assist Trophies from Brawl. I think the concept of a boxer in Smash Bros. was well translated, though I don't really like how "extreme" he his. Most notably because of that crappy recovery.
:4palutena:As someone who never played a Kid Icarus game, I'm pretty indifferent to her inclusion. I like her moveset for some unique and cool looking moves (like up Smash, nair, uair, Explosive Flame, Super Speed), but I also dislike how generic her default special set is (I know it was made generic to incite players to add some fantasy with customs, but still) and how laggy she is overall despite not being Ike or Ganondorf level powerful.
:4wiifit:Didn't care much about SSB4 when she was revealed, I can't really have an opinion about how surprising she was, but I doubt I would have considered her prior to her reveal. I have to say she has a rather creative moveset, converting yoga poses to attacks is a cool concept I admit xD though the Sun Salutation projectile feels kind of forced. And I have to admit, she sometimes feels kinda weird in the game... for example beating Master Fortress with her felt really awkward to me.
:4greninja:I thought it was Mewtwo in the shadow. I thought Water Shuriken was indeed a weirdly animated Psycho Cut. Then the truth was reveal and I was mystified. Not because it wasn't Mewtwo, but because of the character itself - I thought it was the most random character ever. Even though I was aware of his popularity, I was too confused to really enjoy the trailer and many hours after the Direct I wondered why he was chosen in the playable roster. Now that this confusion is long behind me, I'm still not entirely satisfied with this inclusion, as Sakurai himself confirmed that he wanted to add a Pokémon newcomer for the sake of a playable gen 6 Pokémon, a logic I don't agree with. Though I'm starting to think that Charizard was meant to leave Pokémon Trainer from the start due to having enough star power by himself and the Trainer concept was meant to be transfered to generation 6 starters, but due to technical issues he ditched the concept and only kept Greninja - just a theory, but it's hard for me to believe that Kanto Trainer AND solo Greninja were both planed from the start. I'm also not a fan of his moveset, Water Shuriken and Shadow Sneak being charging moves contradicts their use in Pokémon games, and overall he kind of feels like another Pokémon thrown here rather than a character who represents what the Pokémon series is about. I don't really like his playstyle either. I don't think it's a bad inclusion per se, but he's my personal least favourite non-clone newcomer.
:4lucina:While I understand that Sakurai promoted her when she was probably already done as an alt costume because he didn't want to lose all the modeling and voice acting work done after realizing she actually wouldn't fit perfectly as a Marth alt for whatever reason, it doesn't change the fact she adds basically nothing to the game, both gameplay and series representation-wise. I understand why she's in, but I'd rather not have her in future Smash Bros. games.
:4darkpit:Similar to Lucina, I get Sakurai didn't want to waste all the voice actor already done (and not modeling this time... he's just a palette swap) and promoted him to a fully fledged character instead of outright cutting him, but just like her he adds pretty much no added value to the roster. Like Lucina, I'd rather not have him in the next gen Smash.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
My least favourite to my favourite, in my humble opinion. Bear in mind that I don't dislike any character, so this is all relative.

:4littlemac: I'm a big Punch-Out!! fan and I like Mac as a character, but his Smash incarnation does nothing for me. I don't care for his fighting style or his moveset, but I do think he fits in well and is definitely a worthy addition to the roster.

:4darkpit: Going against the grain, I have no issue with Pittoo's addition. I just prefer Pit in every possible way. He's got some great lines and a kick-ass theme, though, so I'll forgive him his shortcomings.

:rosalina: A good choice of character, but I have no interest in playing as her. She leaves me cold.

:4wiifit: This is a hilariously silly choice, and I love that. I'm pretty awful as her and there are characters I much prefer, though, so she's a bit towards the bottom because of that.

:4miibrawl: :4miigun: :4miisword: Specifically the latter, but the rest are cool too. I can play as myself, Will Wedgewood, Henry Fleming and Takashi Kamiyama - what's not to love?

:4greninja: Pretty ambivalent towards him as a fighter. He's my favourite Gen 6 starter, though, and frogs are neat. So I'm okay with him. May warm up to him if I try him out again.

:4megaman: Fun as all hell, but I'm not a huge fan compared to other characters. Definitely enjoyable to mess about with, and a true all-star, but not the best in my eyes.

:4pacman: One of the icons of vidya, he's pretty fun to play and has a very charming design. He represents something pretty huge in Smash, and I respect him for that.

:4villagerf: How do you make a non-violent life sim protagonist into a competent fighter? As it turns out, immaculately. While I seldom play her, she's immensely fun in concept, and Animal Crossing is wonderful. A very nice character overall.

:4shulk: I had never heard of Xenoblade Chronicles prior to Smash, and I was skeptical about Shulk at first. The reveal trailer changed my mind in an instant, and introduced me to a great character with a lot of charisma and a sublime moveset.

:4duckhunt: Definitely not expecting these quirky souls, much less that I'd really enjoy them. They have such an adorable charm to them and a brilliantly creative moveset - considering they have very little to work with in theory, the execution is superb and they are incredibly fun to play.

:4ludwig: Yes, Ludwig. Honestly, were it not for the option to play as the Koopalings, Junior would be much lower on my list. Either way, the moveset is very fun and quirky. But, yeah, being able to play as Ludwig van Koopa is what makes it for me.

:4robinf: Awakening is a great game, and Robin is a great character. A very diverse and original moveset, and her design and mannerisms are top-notch. Plus the trailer was hype. Just excellent in every way.

:4lucina: As above, but with the added benefit of playing like Marth, a character I've always been fond of and interested in playing. A character I never thought would appear, and was pleasantly surprised to see that she did.

:4palutena: The absolute best character in the roster (alongside Pit) hands down. The one character I wanted above all else, and the newcomer I was most hyped for. When she was revealed, I exploded. Easily my favourite character (ibid) in Smash, full-stop.

Last edited:

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
I like most of them but here goes.
14.:4lucina:
13.:4darkpit:
12.:4wiifit:
I like all of the characters below:
11.:4shulk:
10.:rosalina:
9.:4villager:
8.:4megaman:
7.:4bowserjr:
6.:4robinm::4robinf:
5.:4duckhunt:
4.:4pacman:
3.:4palutena:
2.:4littlemac:
1.:4greninja:(Love you froggy <3)

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
Least favorite to favorite gameplay and character wise. Excluded Miis because I really don't use them that often.

:4wiifit:Lived up to the "who ever wanted them in Smash?" name once her trailer came out as one of the first three newcomers. I tried playing her a bit and found that she didn't mesh with me at all.

:4palutena:I really loved Uprising and was pretty excited to play her. Although I just found her moveset to be pretty...lacking. That's only because I haven't tried out her customs yet and plan to in the near future.

:4duckhunt:I really want to learn them, I really do. He's definitely an interesting and creative character but I just can't bring myself to play him as much as I do the other newcomers.

:4pacman:A pretty iconic character whom I welcome into Smash. I've tinkered with his moveset quite a bit and found it pretty nice, though it's still not my style.

:4bowserjr:I honestly didn't expect him to be in this game much less in the Koopa Clown Car with the other Koopalings but was pleasantly surprised. Everyone after Jr is a pretty tough decision to place.

:4villager:To be honest I actually laughed pretty loud when I saw him in the debut trailer. I loved the Animal Crossing series and their happy and soothing gameplay, but I honestly didn't expect Villager to join the roster. Once I saw his actual gameplay and memes I started to think he'd be pretty good (and I think he is now). Needless to say I haven't really been playing him much since the other newcomers usurped my time more.

:4greninja:I was the one person in my local circle who didn't pick Chespin (since we all found Fennekin overrated) and instead chose Froakie with absolutely no knowledge of Pokemon Y. Come Greninja and I loved how badass he looked. Then came the Smash trailer and hype thrusters exploded. His moveset reminds me of a Water Sheik in a good way and I still love him for that despite his 1.04 nerfs.

:rosalina:Loved her in the Galaxy games but started to get a little weary from her appearing in pretty much every Mario game afterwards. That aside I really enjoy her puppet fighter mechanic and wish to explore it myself sometime in the future.

:4darkpit:I personally play him over regular Pit and really liked his character in Uprising to the point that he was my 2nd favorite in the entire game (behind Hades but right in front of Pit himself). He's my go-to KI rep to play as and I prefer his specials as he has more focus on offstage game and an aggressive throw game as opposed to straight up gimping or vertical KOing.

:4littlemac:As much as I hate readjusting to staying on the ground every time I use him, I'm pretty fine with Little Mac as a character. I personally enjoy his defensive punish game and get a kick of using him to demolish my friends in Mac dittos.

:4lucina:Haven't played Awakening but I do like her addition in Smash 4. She was initially the character I always played as and later converted me to playing Marth as one of my most used characters. Of course I go back to Lucina every now and again because I prefer to play her over Marth if we only counted characters instead of their gameplay.

:4robinf:Disregarding the fact that she's the character I find the cutest in this game, I find Robin to be a pretty cool spellcaster as well. I really love the idea of zoning characters out and planning my next move in order to trap them into my game. Being a magician and using elemental spells is an added bonus.

:4megaman:Oh where do I even begin. He made me the most hyped out of all the newcomers before the game started and was my favorite character to use in the demo. He's extremely faithful to his games and I just love his projectile-based moveset oh so much.

:4shulk:Absolutely no question about it. He's been my main since full release Day 1. Shulk's an incredibly versatile character (which I love because I like having lots of options) and is able to switch his designated roles and strategies on the fly. Add onto the fact that he's one of the harder characters in the learning curve because of the entry bar of his Monado Arts alone and you got someone who I'll never tire of playing.

Top Bottom