• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Worms - Support Thread

Firefly201085

Smash Rookie
Worms is a 2D artillery tactical video game developed by Team17 and released in 1995. It is the first game in the Worms series of video games. It is a turn based game where a player controls a team of worms against other teams of worms that are controlled by a computer or human opponent. The aim is to use various weapons to kill the worms on the other teams and have the last surviving worm(s).

Worms is a turn-based artillery game, similar to other early games in the genre such as Scorched Earth.[1][2] Each player controls a team of several worms. During the course of the game, players take turns selecting one of their worms. They then use whatever tools and weapons are available to attack and kill the opponents' worms, thereby winning the game. Worms may move around the terrain in a variety of ways, normally by walking and jumping but also by using particular tools such as the "Bungee" and "Ninja Rope", to move to otherwise inaccessible areas. Each turn is time-limited to ensure that players do not hold up the game with excessive thinking or moving. The time limit can be modified in some of the games in the Worms series.
Over fifty weapons and tools may be available each time a game is played, and differing selections of weapons and tools can be saved into a "scheme" for easy selection in future games. Other scheme settings allow options such as deployment of reinforcement crates, from which additional weapons can be obtained, and sudden death where the game is rushed to a conclusion after a time limit expires. Some settings provide for the inclusion of objects such as land mines and explosive barrels.
When most weapons are used, they cause explosions that deform the terrain, creating circular cavities. If a worm is hit with a weapon, they will lose health. A worm who is out of health will die by blowing themselves up and leaving a grave marker. Worms can also die by being thrown off the side of the map or by falling into the water at the map's base.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I dunno how this doesn't seem to have anybody else talking about it. Worms would just go into Smash way too well. Destructable stage, plenty of options for music and Spirits, and a fun, unconventional fighter.

Definitely support the Worms.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Support. The Worms flash games (and the many ripoffs) were a big part of my childhood. Having them in Smash would be really, really fun to play as and against.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I support Worms in Smash. Actually, I did a quick Worms Armageddon match against CPU just a couple hours ago... I occasionally do it. Worms Armageddon is one of my favorite PC games of all times and I would definitely want a worm in Smash.

I'm not completely sure it would be an unconventional fighter though (design aside), I think it would be a pretty standard projectile-based character with not many gimmicks (maybe the wind at best). Visually unconventional I agree.

I always considered Worms to be a turn based Smash Bros (or the other way, Smash Bros a real time Worms) because the two games have a lot of things in common.

Last edited:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I support. Worms have way too many weapons and tools at their disposal and they'd definitely make for a fun fighter. I enjoyed Armageddon, World Party, 3D and Mayhem quite a bit back then, though I don't play as often nowadays. It'd be fun to see what they do about their movement speed since it's pretty slow in-game.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
On the subject of similarities between Worms and Smash Bros, it would be interesting if there was a turn based mode in Smash, where each player has a limited time to do wathever they want to the opponent, then their character will be unable to move until it's their turn again (but you can use a team of several characters instead of just one).

Top Bottom