• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

! WORLD SMASH HIP-HOP ! Rap/HipHop/R&B/ Discussion Thread (explicit warning)

Suspect

Smash Hero
When does he go to houston? Thats what I should of spent my money on instead of gay whobo 2...

Jane

Smash Hero
haha im too lazy to actually look through my music and choose just 5... and too lazy to muster up ALL of my fav cds, so no list from me x]

also, i have newfound respect for asher after this-
its supposedly a freestyle, i dont believe it, but still firee
asher and cudi freestyle - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkQU3d5Zeic

rhan

Smash Hero
Twist, nobody listens to that mainstream bull**** in here.

And I have NEVER heard Common get buck in any of his tracks.... I actually don't know how I feel about that right there....

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
top5 albums! (in order that I listened to them first)
cannibal ox - the cold vein
mf doom - mm food
el-p - fantastic damage
madvillain - madvillainy
little brother - the listening

I need to listen to more hiphop =(

I'm not very knowledgeable on common, someone should recommend me some! I heard a song by him called 'make my day' ft. ceelo. that was a good song!

T3h Albino

Smash Master
Hey guys!!!

Just your local emceee, checking this thread out.

What are we talking abouttt? :O
ohh albums !!!

Lupe Fiasco-Food and Liquor
Nas- Illmatic
A Tribe Called Quest- Midnight Marauders
Outkast- Presents the Speakerboxxx The Love Below
BigL- Lifestyles of da Poor and Dangerous

Young Jeezy- The Recession

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
@ETWIST: read the thread, dog. it's not hard.

hmmm let's run through these artists
Common - Check out his old stuff. He's two steps away from being a sellout, and i'm just being lenient with that.

MF Doom - Don't really like him. I like a few tracks from his King Geedorah album but that's about it.

Andre is the ****in man. He's supposed to be droppin an album this year so be on the look out!

@Jane: Hell no that's not a freestyle lol. I really don't like asher. I like The Lounge but everything else is just terrible to me. He shouldn't have rushed to drop an album just cuz that wack *** track I Love College was popular.

I'm diggin the amount of Illmatic in people's top albums :chuckle:

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
rap: no
hip hop: meh
R&B: hell yes
anybody wanna explain to me exactly what's the difference between hip-hop and rap? i really don't see some huge, diving line between the two aside from random rappers continuously saying "you guys are rap and i'm hip hop". I hope people do know that rap stands for rhythm and poetry.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
There's not really any difference I don't think. I usually refer to hip-hop as more club music that is more about a catchy chorus and simple rhymes and rap as focus on lyrics and verses. But I dunno.

Jane

Smash Hero
even though i was the one that decided to name this thread "rap, AND hiphop"

i see

NO difference. at all. ever.

if i ever say rap, i mean hip hop, if i ever say hip hop, i mean rap. rap = hip hop to me. and thats the end of it. lol (thats just how i feel, dont get all pissed and start an arguement :b)

Linguini

Smash Master
somebody actually like's asher roth?
Hell yeah, the dude is seriously underrated, people listen to I Love College or a couple songs off his debut album and automatically dismiss him. Lyrically,he's disgusting, and provides just the right amount of whit and humor to make him unique.Check out the Greenhouse Effect mixtape to get a feel of his real skill, link below.
http://www.mediafire.com/?hmyjyttxyrz

There's not really any difference I don't think. I usually refer to hip-hop as more club music that is more about a catchy chorus and simple rhymes and rap as focus on lyrics and verses. But I dunno.
Nah, actually there is a huge difference between Rap and Hip Hop. You have it all backwards. Hip Hop goes beyond the realm of music and is more of a cultural phenomenon than a genre. The five pillars of hip-hop culture are: MCing, DJing, breaking, graffiti writing, and knowledge; at least essentially. What we now call "rap" is the combination of mass marketing and heavily produced music.

Jane

Smash Hero
you bring up a good point linguini.

correction to my previous post. when referring to MUSIC GENRES, rap and hip hop are the exact same thing to me.

BUT, hip hop is something bigger. hip hop is a culture, its a movement, its a lifestyle.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
read the thread.

also common is hardly underground.
Never said he was. Sean Price and MF DOOM are though.
@ETWIST: read the thread, dog. it's not hard.

hmmm let's run through these artists
Common - Check out his old stuff. He's two steps away from being a sellout, and i'm just being lenient with that.

MF Doom - Don't really like him. I like a few tracks from his King Geedorah album but that's about it.

Andre is the ****in man. He's supposed to be droppin an album this year so be on the look out!

@Jane: Hell no that's not a freestyle lol. I really don't like asher. I like The Lounge but everything else is just terrible to me. He shouldn't have rushed to drop an album just cuz that wack *** track I Love College was popular.

I'm diggin the amount of Illmatic in people's top albums :chuckle:
I really should overcome my laziness and read the thread. MF DOOM really ain't my **** either. Sean Price on the other hand...

IAmBlu3

Smash Champion
meh. to me, there is no real difference.

breaking down the term "hip-hop":
1. Hip - what's new and "in"
2. Hop - dancing or having fun
to me, this is pretty much everything on the radio

Rap - Rhythm and Poetry
This is the more conceptual, intellectual and observational angle of the music.

i think people try to hard to put some major distinction between the two and it really just ends up ****ing up the genre as a whole. i swear, it's irritating as hell to go on youtube, listen to conceptual songs and then read the comments from all these dudes that think they're hip-hop 101 just because they listen to underground music. like really, they think that's the ONLY way rap is supposed to sound. and it's irritating, at the same time, when i youtube snap songs and keep reading " the SOUF IS TAKIN OVA" and how lyrics aren't important at all. blah.

i just categorize everything as good or ****ty rap, for the most part. soulja boi and eminem, though they are in 2 completely different leagues, are a part of the same genre......or at least that's how i look at it : ).

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
Rap is the music. Hip hop is the entire culture. Breakdancing, DJing, rap music and graffiti, the four elements of hip hop. Of the four elements, rap was the last to happen, as it was originally just the DJ and the hypeman. Later on, the hypeman took center stage. And **** Guini, that list is solid. I know personally I'd have Life After Death having more spins than RtD (although Everyday Struggle is my favorite track). As for Pac, it might be my impressionable mind growing up on the East Coast, but I really never got into him. Definitely have a few tracks that I'd put on repeat, but I can't sit and listen through an album. Closest album would be Me Against The World.

rhan

Smash Hero
meh. to me, there is no real difference.

breaking down the term "hip-hop":
1. Hip - what's new and "in"
2. Hop - dancing or having fun
to me, this is pretty much everything on the radio

Rap - Rhythm and Poetry
This is the more conceptual, intellectual and observational angle of the music.

i think people try to hard to put some major distinction between the two and it really just ends up ****ing up the genre as a whole. i swear, it's irritating as hell to go on youtube, listen to conceptual songs and then read the comments from all these dudes that think they're hip-hop 101 just because they listen to underground music. like really, they think that's the ONLY way rap is supposed to sound. and it's irritating, at the same time, when i youtube snap songs and keep reading " the SOUF IS TAKIN OVA" and how lyrics aren't important at all. blah.

i just categorize everything as good or ****ty rap, for the most part. soulja boi and eminem, though they are in 2 completely different leagues, are a part of the same genre......or at least that's how i look at it : ).

I like this interpretation of the genres.

Top Bottom