• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolfset move discussion: Fair

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
I know the title doesn't make sense, but who cares?

Fair is a fun move, very large hitbox =) But there's a lot of time between when the hitbox goes away and when you finally reach the ground.

Discuss.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Fair is nice... Retreating fairs and crossover fairs are my preferred variants. The only problem is that when you're trying to make use of it's full range, you can't hit shorter characters. Against taller opponents that are prone to being juggled or are weaker than you in the air, fair is a particularly good move to abuse. It puts your opponent in a position that is very easy to capitalize on. However, since a SH fair can get predictable (since it always needs to be executed around the same time), your opponent might start to PS it, and then you'll be getting punished because of that extra time that Arc mentioned.

For crossovers, usmash, grab, or retreating bair are my preferred followups on low %, and going for a juggle at high %s. Fair can kill moderately well, and it's not the hardest move to land since it's hitbox is huge. I try to save it for kills against ligher air-based characters like jigglypuff and luigi, since they can be tough to hit with other kill moves.

:059:

Emo^Wolf

Smash Journeyman
Far is a good movee but specially for spacing like SHFair except i still havent figured out how to do it without lagg cuz if you use it and lagg it can be severely punish with a strong smash by the opponent. i aggre with ishieymoro. since i havnt been able to get it down the Fair without lagg i like to save it to killl light charecter cuz the move comes out fast and it will take out light charesters cuz that move send the opponent upward most of the time. and sometimes its hard to hit light charesters like luigi with other ko moves like he said so the Fair is good. its also a grab realease on ness so it comes handy in that match up. it can also be used with heave charecters cuz like i said the moves comes out fast and unexpected/

people ive ask say that just short hop and Fair and press down to get it not to lagg but i must be doing something wrongg cuz i cant get itttt. if anyone can help me id appreciated cuz that move is soo good for setting up combos and when i dont do it right i get punishh during the lagg time. Fair is really good move but you have to know how to use it.

tekkie

Smash Master
people ive ask say that just short hop and Fair and press down to get it not to lagg but i must be doing something wrongg cuz i cant get itttt. if anyone can help me id appreciated cuz that move is soo good for setting up combos and when i dont do it right i get punishh during the lagg time. Fair is really good move but you have to know how to use it.
Don't press down/fast fall it. Just short hop and fair immediately after and you'll land laglessly.

Um, I hate fair against short people. And I don't really like using it other than the short hop. So it's basically retreating SH fair or try to SH fair past them. Eh, it feels too risky regardless.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
If anyone doesn't auto cancel F-air then they will have their bike stolen by me.

It sends your opponent up in most cases. This is not that bad a move.

SelfPossessed

Smash Apprentice
Overall:
1) Comes out slow (not as good OoS or when close to the enemy), but has good disjointed range
2) Autocancel is late, so not as good at shield pressuring and overuse = loss of stage control
3) Bad vertical range below it, so it fails vs grounded *******
4) Sets up juggling well at medium %, character dependent though
5) Synergizes well with Bair as it defeats many moves that Bair has trouble with
6) Usually SH it, though sometimes FH/DJ it if guaranteed to hit. Exception is FH Fair on low platforms like BF as it ACs there

How to Use:
1) Predict and interrupt moves (especially aerials) using disjointed hitboxes, character dependent
2) Stage control with crossovers
3) Bait a punish attempt with retreating SH Fair (vary where you land) and punish them
4) Punish an AD/whiffed aerial high up (especially when juggling opponents on platform stages) for the kill (if they DI sideways expecting it, Bair mixup solves)
5) Ledgedrop DJ Fair to punish a failed ledgeguard attempt or if they recover onto the stage

ArcPoint

Smash Lord
I'm sure those aren't the only uses...

I honestly hate that "You use X move for Y purpose" mentality. So, I'll make my own "how to"

How to Use Fair:

1) Effectively

However you accomplish this is your choice.

All of what SP said is true, you can use it to interrupt moves due to its really large hitbox (Beating Ness Fair spam comes to mind). You can use it for stage control (advancing/retreating) you can use it to bait things (What CAN'T you do to bait punishment?) You can kill them and punish stuff with Fair. You can also Fair from the ledge and have it Autocancel.

It can also be used in a neutral situation to prop up an opponent. It can be used to get away from a dangerous situation, it can be used to keep an opponent at bay, zone them. It can be used to set up a Dsmash, a variety of things.

It's uses aren't set in stone is the point I'm trying to make, if all else is unclear haha.

Emo^Wolf

Smash Journeyman
Don't press down/fast fall it. Just short hop and fair immediately after and you'll land laglessly.

Um, I hate fair against short people. And I don't really like using it other than the short hop. So it's basically retreating SH fair or try to SH fair past them. Eh, it feels too risky regardless.
dam mann thnkss i finally found out how to do it, i always Fair with the cstick bt if i Fair with the A button it workss. thnks dawgg

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
turbogilman's style beats that. he holds it like an arcade joystick and plays the same way. and he is 15th on the md/va power rankings. lolz

Sukai

Smash Champion
Forward Air, huh, it's not bad if you're tagging characters with crappy Vertical Knockback Resistance. Best used in a Full Hop or double jump.
Other than that it's pretty bad, end lag is 3 hours, doesn't combo, short range.
At least it (kinda) fast.

Semifer

Smash Journeyman
AC Fair also works in a shrot hop knuxrouge.
@Fair: It's a punisher, baiter, interrupter, spacer, sets up juggling traps and kills, but Fair is limited because auf the long Duration in the air and the horrible ending lag if not AC'd. and if it's auto cancelled there is enough time to punish it after the hit. It's a good move at all, but it's like a Lucas aerial, in grounded fight it's really good, but otherwise it's very limited.

Top Bottom