• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf's Reputation

THEND

Smash Cadet
It seems to me that most people think Wolf is a noob character, and if you use him you have no skill. Also people seem to think Wolf becomes totally amazing online or in lag, I guess because all we do is spam blaster and Fsmash. I get this feedback from a lot of people I play online. Good people too. So, is this generally Wolf's reputation, or am I just playing a lot of scrubs.?

rvkevin

Smash Lord
Depends on the amount of lag...In heavy lag, Fsmash is hard to punish, even if it is shielded. And projectiles are much harder to perfect shield in lag. Also, Wolf has big hit boxes and a lot of priority, perfect for online play. Then again, Wolf fails offstage when online. If he doesn't SD, he is a force to be reckoned with.

THEND

Smash Cadet
Wolf was given great smashes and a great projectile. It would be a shame not to use them...very often...so often that its to the point of spamming. But that's okay, because there's nothing wrong with spamming.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Actually, among people that actually are good at Brawl, Wolf has a reputation for being easy to gimp, having bad recovery, and getting chain grabbed/tilt locked/comboed more than anyone else in the game (except maybe Fox).

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Basically, yeah you're playing scrubs.

Wolf's current reputation seems to be really good, at least in terms of popularity. Haven't heard anyone complaining about a spammy Wolf in a long time.

:059:

rvkevin

Smash Lord
No offense, but are you good at brawl?
No offense, but are you good at brawl?

:: points to Wikipedia ::

Dunning–Kruger effect:
Incompetent individuals tend to overestimate their own level of skill.
Incompetent individuals fail to recognize genuine skill in others.
Incompetent individuals fail to recognize the extremity of their inadequacy.

:: notice how ::

I'm not the self-proclaimed "best" of anything; I let others say how good I am (Thanks Gull)

castorpollux

Smash Champion
rvkevin has more knowledge about wolf's weaknesses than anyone. I'm not even kidding.

_Kain_

Smash Champion
this bad rep for wolf only applies to wifi and sore losers and dummies who dont go out to tournies. other than that wolf has a good rep and respect especially if u show ur good with him and take him far

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
this bad rep for wolf only applies to wifi and sore losers and dummies who dont go out to tournies. other than that wolf has a good rep and respect especially if u show ur good with him and take him far
Which is why both you and I don't do Wolf wifi tactics when playing wifi.:bee: Kain go verse DLA with Wolf vs his Ganon and record. Side bet on DLA;)

Edit: My avi is amazing.

_Kain_

Smash Champion
Which is why both you and I don't do Wolf wifi tactics when playing wifi.:bee: Kain go verse DLA with Wolf vs his Ganon and record. Side bet on DLA;)

Edit: My avi is amazing.
Lol too bad i still get called a wifi wolf by sore losers XD. I've played DLA i think before on wifi. If he comes to the tourny this saturday ill see if i can get a set in with him

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Lol too bad i still get called a wifi wolf by sore losers XD. I've played DLA i think before on wifi. If he comes to the tourny this saturday ill see if i can get a set in with him
You are one of the few Wolfs I know isn't a Wifi Wolf who plays on the ladder.:laugh: And yeah verse him. DLA is on the PR now and your labeled inactive. Lol. Record it. I wanna see a good ganon vs a good Wolf. Should be interesting to say the least.

THEND

Smash Cadet
I have a strange feeling that Jumpman wasn't even talking to Rvkevin >____>

Whatever.

Yeah I'm pretty sure he was talking about me. I have videos of my Samus, but none of my Wolf. If you want you can watch those and form an opinion. I know I only have what, 20 posts, but yeah I'm pretty good.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
You are one of the few Wolfs I know isn't a Wifi Wolf who plays on the ladder.:laugh: And yeah verse him. DLA is on the PR now and your labeled inactive. Lol. Record it. I wanna see a good ganon vs a good Wolf. Should be interesting to say the least.
I'm also a Wolf who isn't a wifi wolf, and I never play ladder :D

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
Yeah I'm pretty sure he was talking about me. I have videos of my Samus, but none of my Wolf. If you want you can watch those and form an opinion. I know I only have what, 20 posts, but yeah I'm pretty good.
Well, the one thing I can say from your (quite old) stuff is everything seemed so linear, at least from my perspective. If you don't attend tournaments often, you should try to get to more of them, play more different people and the like, it looks like you could really benefit from the variety of playstyles.

And if people john about Kain then they can find an excuse to john about any Wolf .__. Doesn't change the fact that they're either scrubs or raging at wifail.

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
i havent had anyone complain about my wolf in a while, when brawl first came out everyone thought he was cheap and i think that was the general view on him for a long time what with his sexy moves and rugged attitude etc. but now i meet lots of people who thinks its cool that i've stuck with him for so long, everyone i know thinks that he's hard and that you have to try harder to do anything with him. its too bad that he's so easy to get into and spam the &^*( out of, but i guess that makes us special huh?

Ark_Zer0

Smash Rookie
Well, I switched to Wolf after realizing that there weren't too many Wolf mains out there. Plus, I always really liked his moves and the fact that he is cool incarnate. Goldenadept, though he is one character that can be locked in any cheap spam, he alos has a relatively fast Reflector, so if the spammer messes up, presto you can stun them for a split second and get off a quick combo. Or you could just not get close enough to get spammed, that's why he has the blaster and fsmash range. Plus his up-special approach is useful too, though I wouldn't rely too heavily on that because if you miss, his recovery time from that move is horrible, and I've gotten falcon/wizard punched from failed approaches multiple times.

Xervous

Smash Rookie
Thank goodness i finally got my computer working again!

Hm, i cannot comment accurately on Wolf's rep as i have deserted the lagging menace known as wifi (i blame my cable company).

In my area; specifically local semi-pro tournaments, wolf's rep has undergone a few changes since we started the tournies.

first: he was seen as the gay spammy s***bag of a character who noobs picked because of his amazing Fsmash and spammable lazor.

second: all the noobs realized they couldn't play him, at least, not good against most people there

third: I won a few consecutive tournaments with him, and two things happened: he was called cheap because of the shield, and the noobs came back... shortly to go onto lucario.

As a character, i feel wolf's weaknesses, like many characters weaknesses, are coming into full view and hurting his rep.
- the godawful gimpable recovery, and a rigid one at that (you literally have to hit the edge with Uspecial)
- the suckish fast falling attitude he has; two big problems (some mentioned earlier), recovery failures, and chain grabs

if he didn't have such a fast falling speed, he could be A/B tier... but of course, his heaviness comes with a logical disadvantage.

Thankfully, only one guy in my area plays a CG character, well, switches between D3 and Falco

overall, wolf is finally revealing his true colors as an average guy whose bandwagon has passed

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Thank goodness i finally got my computer working again!

Hm, i cannot comment accurately on Wolf's rep as i have deserted the lagging menace known as wifi (i blame my cable company).

In my area; specifically local semi-pro tournaments, wolf's rep has undergone a few changes since we started the tournies.

first: he was seen as the gay spammy s***bag of a character who noobs picked because of his amazing Fsmash and spammable lazor.

second: all the noobs realized they couldn't play him, at least, not good against most people there

third: I won a few consecutive tournaments with him, and two things happened: he was called cheap because of the shield, and the noobs came back... shortly to go onto lucario.

As a character, i feel wolf's weaknesses, like many characters weaknesses, are coming into full view and hurting his rep.
- the godawful gimpable recovery, and a rigid one at that (you literally have to hit the edge with Uspecial)
- the suckish fast falling attitude he has; two big problems (some mentioned earlier), recovery failures, and chain grabs

if he didn't have such a fast falling speed, he could be A/B tier... but of course, his heaviness comes with a logical disadvantage.

Thankfully, only one guy in my area plays a CG character, well, switches between D3 and Falco

overall, wolf is finally revealing his true colors as an average guy whose bandwagon has passed
Wolf's recovery isn't terrible. If he didn't fall fast he'd be god awful because his bair wall and bair game becomes useless. Wolf is lowest in B tier at most.

Goldenadept

Smash Lord
Hmmm... if wolf didn't fall as fast he'd lose his bair wall/game but it also means he wouldn't get chaingrabbed/tilt locked nearly as much as he does now, so you're trading one approaching/defensive option for a couple of bad match ups, personally i think wolf wouldn't suffer too much by losing his bair wall but he'd gain a lot from not being shut down by some characters. That being said none of wolfs MU's are truly THAT bad, you can get around a lot of the crap out there, not that its easy, you have to have a cool head and a lot of patience, (and not be afraid to play gay)
So even if wolf was floatier he'd still have above average weight, KO power and decent priority, we're resourceful guys so I'm sure we could get around losing the bair wall amirite?
I am glad wolf has managed to evolve as much as he has and get around the whole noob spammy jerk everyone thought he was, but i also think that he has a long way to go and a lot of work needs to be put into him before we see a drastic rise in his popularity and position, i think as of late JJ, Anti, and Xzas are doing a good job of repping him, we got incredibly talented players putting time into developing his game and whatnot so wolf is defiantly far from lost, we can get around his shortcomings and put pressure on in an above average offensive

Ark_Zer0

Smash Rookie
Exactly, cause all that would change if he fell slower would be the timing of the attacks to zone. That isn't hard at all. But, his fast fall is a part of his character design, so why not just make the best of it instead of wishing for something else. Wolf is a skill-based character, you have to know how to use him in order to use him well.

Top Bottom