• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf's Nair

ImpossiblyRood

Smash Apprentice
This is the weirdest move to me. Sometimes I can kick ass with it and sometimes it barely touches people and I get punished in the most aggravating ways.

So I put it to you, far more experienced Wolf players: how the hell do I use this move effectively? Or, failing that, should I just not use it?

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
This is the weirdest move to me. Sometimes I can kick *** with it and sometimes it barely touches people and I get punished in the most aggravating ways.

So I put it to you, far more experienced Wolf players: how the hell do I use this move effectively? Or, failing that, should I just not use it?
Use it the same way you would use Fox's or Mario's d-air. It's meant to transition into anything on the ground when L-canceled. Nair -> Anything

Nair -> Shine
Nair -> Grab
Nair -> Smash

Last edited:

ImpossiblyRood

Smash Apprentice
I guess that makes sense. It's not exactly rocket science. Well, actually, I guess it could be possibly related to rocket science. Wolf flies a spaceship. Presumably he has rockets attached to it. Or at the very least some kind of engine that is like unto a rocket. So in that respect, I guess it is rocket science. Bummer.

Thanks for your help.

Guilu

Smash Apprentice
I've heard around these boards that it's not safe of block, however, so be careful.
Unsafe on block ? Really ? It has a ton of hits so you're very likely to get one right before touching the ground, the landing recovery looks to be basically null and you've got the fastest move in the game to cover yourself afterwards. Can you even punish that with a shine out of shield ? Even on whiff it's rather safe, issue being the short range of course.

Do we have frame data for this character ?

Last edited:

Rat

Smash Lord
Wolf's NAir is 0 on block. Most moves in smash are negative on block.

Wolf's next safest aerial on shield is DAir at -3.

ImpossiblyRood

Smash Apprentice
Wolf's NAir is 0 on block. Most moves in smash are negative on block.

Wolf's next safest aerial on shield is DAir at -3.
Does that mean that wolf's Nair is safer than advertised? Like a perfect shffl nair being safer than other shffl options in multiple situations?

Rat

Smash Lord
idk how safe his NAir was advertised at lol.

It is very safe on shield though. Against Snake you can NAir his shield and then Dash away to be perfectly safe. And Snake has one of the fastest OoS options - frame 5 UpB OoS.

It's not as safe versus disjointed hitboxes though. Wolf's NAir has pretty good coverage of his body, but it's not disjointed.

ImpossiblyRood

Smash Apprentice
idk how safe his NAir was advertised at lol.

It is very safe on shield though. Against Snake you can NAir his shield and then Dash away to be perfectly safe. And Snake has one of the fastest OoS options - frame 5 UpB OoS.

It's not as safe versus disjointed hitboxes though. Wolf's NAir has pretty good coverage of his body, but it's not disjointed.
I've heard some claims of uselessly unsafe in regard to his nair.

So it's more useful as a situational combo tool?

Rat

Smash Lord
Yeah those claims about it being uselessly unsafe are wrong. The move just requires some finesse. I figure people who said it's uselessly unsafe are trying to use the move like a Fox/Falco NAir. It's not anything like either of those moves lol.

Cantus

Smash Cadet
I mean, Nair to Shine is a true combo, so any follow ups from there are completely useful. I'm not that great of a Wolf player, but Nair->Shine->Fair is a true combo, and is very basic.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
I think most of what you heard was probably people complaining that its not a bulky hitbox wolf can trade with, like fox or falcos nairs are. Like has been already said, its extremely safe to use on a shield thanks to its landing hitbox, it always combos into shine, and it even combos into grabs and smash attacks at mid to higher percents. You also cannot crouch cancel wolfs nair, unlike fox and falcos nairs which are very CCable at low percents. its just the kind of move you need to be smart with, and you will get extremely high rewards with it if you are.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
I honestly love the hell out of this move. It's comparable to Fox's Dair, but the hitbox is much more convenient. It's a great setup for shine and other moves and work as a very good shield pressure option. Not only that, Wolf has some very nice lead-ins to it as well. Dash attack in particular, since after a certain percent, Dair knocks them down and sets up for a techchase, whereas Nair leads to guaranteed follow ups. It just has so many different uses. I haven't gotten to experiment with exactly what it can do for extending combos, but I can imagine some pretty ridiculous stuff off the top of my head.

Top Bottom