• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf vs. Toon Link

teekay

Smash Journeyman
So the first matchup I've encountered with Wolf that has given me huge amounts of trouble is Toon Link. The little bugger seemed totally broken when I tried to face him tonight, so as a Wolf main I am asking for some advice on how to take him.

Projectile wise he has Wolf pretty much solidly beat. Not only does he outrange Wolf but his projectiles go right through the blaster, and you can't even reflect effectively because of Toon Link's shield. Not to mention the fact that a well-thrown bomb can get you in the explosion even if your reflector is up. So if Wolf keeps his distance, he's a goner.

Getting in close seems to be the only option, and I've definitely done better when playing very aggressively, but TL still manages to beat me every time because of how **** fast and strong all his normals are. Has anyone developed any good strategies for approaching?

RepMR

Smash Rookie
I haven't played much against Toon Link, but the few times he was a very frustrating fight. Faking him out by shielding or approaching through the air seems best, Wolf's Bair seems to out-perform most of Toon Link's projectiles so it might be the best way to approach him.

I don't have much trouble keeping up with him at close range, considering Wolf's throw game and Dsmash are better than Toon Link's it's fairly easy to keep him locked down.

amanwithaplan08

Smash Rookie
I am also having the same trouble with toon link as a Wolfinite. It seems when I come from the air, upsmash is there. The most trouble i am having is breaking his little attacks. His down+a airfall (tombstone things) is so quick and unbreakable, and his up+A in the air is also giving me trouble. It seems wolf's ->Bis quite useless against him. Any takes on what to do?

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
Wolf is waaaay better than toon link. Let me explain... Wolf fsmash is perfect for when toon link keeps his distance. his downsmash is quick, powerful and will probably kill toon link at lower percentages if you don`t spam it. his up smash is great some distances but don`t use it up close though. Reflecting his projectiles is vital because for the most part they`re slow. If he`s shielding yours or his own projectiles he`s standing still. So it`s a good idea to run over and grab or fsmash him. Try using your foward tilt more and don`t shoot into his projectiles reflect them. If he`s using a bomb catch or dodge it. Beating TL(or anyone) with wolf should be a sinch.

teekay

Smash Journeyman
As I already mentioned, the reflector is not very helpful. TL's shield (not his R shield, but his actual shield that he holds in his hand) stops the reflected projectile much of the time, and you can't reflect bombs back at him at all as they just hit the ground. A good TL will throw his bombs so that they explode just in front of you, which will go right through your reflector.

Wolf is not "waaaaay" better than TL, or if he is it is far too early to know. TL is an exceedingly good character and if you think beating him with Wolf should be a "sinch" you obviously haven't ever played a good one.

RepMR's summary is pretty accurate. I have also found that Bair has been my best approach, but as amanwithaplan pointed out you have to be very careful about it or you will be met with a nasty upsmash. In general it has seemed to me that keeping the pressure up and playing aggressively, taking advantage of Wolf's great melee moves and better throw game, is the way to win. The problem is that all the while you are struggling to get through a barrage of varying projectiles just to get up there, and unlike other projectile-heavy characters like normal Link or Samus, TL still packs a tremendous punch up close. His Fsmash is insanely powerful, which is ridiculous considering how easy it is for him to rack up damage.

That's why I'm particularly interested in approaches. I'm trying to develop a strategy for getting in quickly while taking minimal damage and maintaining that pressure long enough to stay a stock ahead.

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
As I already mentioned, the reflector is not very helpful. TL's shield (not his R shield, but his actual shield that he holds in his hand) stops the reflected projectile much of the time, and you can't reflect bombs back at him at all as they just hit the ground. A good TL will throw his bombs so that they explode just in front of you, which will go right through your reflector.

Wolf is not "waaaaay" better than TL, or if he is it is far too early to know. TL is an exceedingly good character and if you think beating him with Wolf should be a "sinch" you obviously haven't ever played a good one.

RepMR's summary is pretty accurate. I have also found that Bair has been my best approach, but as amanwithaplan pointed out you have to be very careful about it or you will be met with a nasty upsmash. In general it has seemed to me that keeping the pressure up and playing aggressively, taking advantage of Wolf's great melee moves and better throw game, is the way to win. The problem is that all the while you are struggling to get through a barrage of varying projectiles just to get up there, and unlike other projectile-heavy characters like normal Link or Samus, TL still packs a tremendous punch up close. His Fsmash is insanely powerful, which is ridiculous considering how easy it is for him to rack up damage.

That's why I'm particularly interested in approaches. I'm trying to develop a strategy for getting in quickly while taking minimal damage and maintaining that pressure long enough to stay a stock ahead.
The only way for toon link to stop any projectiles is for when he`s stand still. I can find a million different ways to approach him while he`s standing still. When he`s throwing his bombs roll back then shoot at him. If he`s shielding with his actual shield, run over and fsmash him(or the back air approach).

Quick combo, if you fsmash your opponent at 0% then pull out your gun(Does damage at close range) then shoot you would do around 35%!

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Faced a TL on wifi today...it was just a little troublesome at first because I didn't know how to handle his projectile spam. Then I went offensive and it worked out pretty well and I won. Keep up the jabs and tilts, but maintain your spacing or you'll get caught by TL's fsmash which is pretty nasty. Grab and combo out of down throw if you can, and the blaster actually helps with edgeguarding slightly (if, at the least, it does tack on additional damage and trust me this definitely will tick off your opponent when you're messing with their recovery).

I'd say avoid aerial fighting unless he's in hitstun, basically all his aerials are better than wolf's, and avoid approaching him from above. (upsmash hurts >.>)

teekay

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so basically I think next time my strategy is going to be to try to approach on the ground while avoiding projectiles as much as possible with a combination of shielding, reflecting, and dodging. Once in close, use the same general strategy as I do with other characters only I have to be extra careful to keep the spacing correct and stay close so I can keep pressuring him. Use a combination of blaster with ftilt and jabs, plus Fsmash when the opportunity arises, to rack up damage, and try to KO with dsmash or fsmash if I've used a lot of other attacks.

Blegh. I'm not looking forward to facing the little bugger again but wish me luck.

iconicSLEAZOID

Smash Cadet
definitely an unfriendly match up. your ground approaches are key. if you can get in close enough with those projectiles, you can feign into a fsmash by empty short hopping. if you get too close you may notice him going for a fsmash or grab. if you can roll behind that and you should be within perfect range for a dsmash. the lag he has should also prevent him from shielding or dodging. Stay as close to fsmash range as possible but don't move in past that or you can get punished pretty easily. I found that if you nair just over his head, you can follow up with a ftilt or grab almost immediately after which TL is 'almost' helpless against. just make sure you dont land in front of him. you'll get punished....badly if he shields. Other than that, good luck on that match up, it's annoying as hell, but not impossible.

Ghost07

Smash Journeyman
With wolf you sometimes have to take damage(or risk) to inflict damage because of his poor approach. When fighting toon link you have to play smart and aggresive.

teekay

Smash Journeyman
Thanks to everyone who contributed something useful to this thread. I just wiped the floor with the same Toon Link tonight 3 times in a row. It was very pleasing.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Toon Link is a very good counter for Wolf. I have a struggle playing him sometimes. Wolf is much stronger though, its easy to kill Toon Link, it just takes longer cuz he's so quick.

Top Bottom