• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Wolf Social Discussion

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I bet he is. Wouldn't bet on him returning but it'd be great if he did come back.

Also good to see you again Tino! Been a long while.
If he were to come back, we’ll welcome him with open arms.

And good to see and hear from you again as well. Long while felt like forever but we still here.

I bet he is. Wouldn't bet on him returning but it'd be great if he did come back.

Also good to see you again Tino! Been a long while.
If he were to come back, we’ll welcome him back with open arms.

And good to see and hear from you again as well. Long while felt like forever but we still here.

EDIT: Forgive me for the double post. Internet is slow on my phone.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Tino Tino and Jestar Jestar , welcome back, both of you! It's been a while.

It's great to be back with the pack!

Also fantastic job AlphaSSB for all the great work you've done (now and in the future)! If Obnoxshush/Dasshizer was still around I'm sure he'd be proud of what you've done since you basically took over his role as pack leader/carried the torch/finished what he started. Amazing work!
Ha, thank-you, Jestar. It's been a fun few years now being pack leader. Guess you can say there's a literal 'Alpha of the Pack' now, haha.

I imagine Obnoxshush/Dasshizer is somewhere out there celebrating Wolf’s triumphant return to Smash.
I bet he is. Been years since Dassh left, but maybe one day he'll return closer to release. I'm glad to see so many familiar faces returning, but there's still plenty of Wolf supporters left MIA. Like with Dassh, hopefully we'll see them again closer to the game's release.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Stoked to have Wolf back. I plan on playing all the spacies this game.

Congrats everyone, we've waited too long!

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Super excited. Actually I did a breakdown of his trailer. I really like all the changes
> new nair
> new dthrow
> new DA
> new animations for everything
> neutral b bayonet hitbox links into the shot
and more. Im so excited for this game to drop and to instantly get to labbing this character.
I do wonder how popular he will be tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfeBZ-VV2wY&t=341s

Last edited:

Spaceless

Smash Cadet
I really can't wait for him. After he got cut in Smash 4 and Marth didn't click for me anymore I had a huge character crisis and never invested huge time in the game. With Wolf back I'm super optimistic for Ultimate and want to step up my game big time. HYPE

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
I really can't wait for him. After he got cut in Smash 4 and Marth didn't click for me anymore I had a huge character crisis and never invested huge time in the game. With Wolf back I'm super optimistic for Ultimate and want to step up my game big time. HYPE
It was pretty much the same for me: during the entirety of the Smash 4 era, I just kept jumping from main to main (although now I'm satisfied with DK in that game).

Spaceless

Smash Cadet
It was pretty much the same for me: during the entirety of the Smash 4 era, I just kept jumping from main to main (although now I'm satisfied with DK in that game).
I'm happy for you that you found your main. For a matter of fact I also tried DK because he got the closest to having Wolfs amazing bair. But he didn't click with me. At the end Corrin became my main. But I didn't really enjoy it enough anymore to want to get good at it. This time I'm feeling it. Let's go Wolf.

Last edited:

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
I'm happy for you that you found your main. For a matter of fact I also tried DK because he got the closest to having Wolfs amazing bair. But he didn't click with me. At the end Corrin became my main. But I didn't really enjoy it enough anymore to want to get good at it. This time I'm feeling it. Let's go Wolf.
Thanks! Fun fact, I remember having that phase where I mained Corrin for like a couple weeks or so. I just hope that our boy Wolf doesn't suck too much in Ultimate, but I don't care since I'll main him anyways.

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
Now that Wolf is back how is everyone's list of mains changed? For me my list of mains is similar to Smash 4 just with Wolf in it this time.

:ultpeach::ultwolf::ultfox: Top 3 mains
:ultlucario::ultmewtwo::ultjigglypuff::ultroy: Secondary mains
:ultbowser::ultyoshi::ultfalco::4roy::ultrosalina::4charizard: 3rd mains
:ultzelda::ultlittlemac::4wiifitm::4bayonetta2::ultgreninja::ultrobin:ultsonic: For fun

I might try out a few other characters but this is my list for now.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
My list:

Main: :ultwolf: - Self explanatory.

Secondaries: :ultfox::ultfalco: - I'm a Star Fox loyalist, and I've been playing as these two since their release. Hopefully Fox isn't nerfed hard and Falco gets buffed.

Tertiaries: :ultganondorf::ultike::ultbowser:- Bruisers are always fun. Excited to see what all has changed with Ganondorf, and Ike and Bowser were very fun in Smash 4.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Now that Wolf is back how is everyone's list of mains changed? For me my list of mains is similar to Smash 4 just with Wolf in it this time.

:ultpeach::ultwolf::ultfox: Top 3 mains
:ultlucario::ultmewtwo::ultjigglypuff::ultroy: Secondary mains
:ultbowser::ultyoshi::ultfalco::4roy::ultrosalina::4charizard: 3rd mains
:ultzelda::ultlittlemac::4wiifitm::4bayonetta2::ultgreninja::ultrobin:ultsonic: For fun

I might try out a few other characters but this is my list for now.
64: Toyed with everyone, but mostly Fox.

Melee: Falco as a primary, C. Falcon and Sheik as secondaries.

Brawl: Wolf main full stop, but I also used Pikachu and Yoshi as secondaries.

Smash 4: Shulk, Duck Hunt and ZSS, mainly Shulk. But I used everyone a sizable amount, with MK, Cloud, Yoshi, Fox, Sheik, Marth, Ike, Greninja, Diddy, Kirby and Falcon being standouts. Yeah, I played a lot of characters here.

Ultimate: Got to feel everyone out, but Wolf is getting the leg up. I'll feel out everyone else and see who sticks.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
:4link: has always been my main since Smash 64 so I'm definitely sticking with him alongside those I've mained in Sm4sh (those being :rosalina::4cloud:and :4myfriends:). No doubt Wolf and Snake will also be on my list of characters I'll be maining.

In other words, my mains from Brawl and Sm4sh remains the same for Ultimate.

However I do plan to play other characters I like besides the big six.

Spaceless

Smash Cadet
My Smash 4 mains :ultcorrin: and :ultpikachu: will definitely stay as secondaries.
My Mains for this game will depend on how much fun I will have playing those characters.
:ultwolf:is my favorite for now
:ultganondorf::ultlink::ultpokemontrainer::ultsnake::ultzss::ultinkling: being the other options. Time will tell who I'm gonna stick to.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869
I'll likely stick with :ultmegaman: and :ultrobin as my mainstays, with :ultwolf: added to that list of course. As for secondaries, :ultlucario:, :ultluigi: and :ultwario: will comprise that group. I'll eventually get a feel for other characters to see if they can shake up the list a bit.

Aviterius

Smash Cadet
Really glad to see Wolf has finally returned, the anxiety before and even after smash 4's release has finally paid off.
Ganon kept me busy in smash 4 after the disappointing realization that Wolf was not returning, but with this confirmation I'll definitely be going all out with Wolf the first chance I get.
Anyhow:
Main: :ultwolf:
Secondaries: :ultganondorf: :ultlittlemac:
Potential pockets/for fun: :ultcloud: :ultpichu: :ultpokemontrainer: :ultdoc:

I already know that I'll be playing Wolf almost exclusively though, especially in bracket.

Mellos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
El_Beslic
Now that Wolf is back how is everyone's list of mains changed?
I will unlock Wolf as fast as possible, then main him for atleast a couple of months, before seriously touching anyone else.

:ultwolf: - real Main
:ultfalco::ultganondorf::ultbowser::ultjigglypuff: - secondary mains (fell in love with 'em in Smash 4, will play regardless of tier)
:ultpokemontrainer::ultsnake::ultlink::ultzelda::ulticeclimbers::ultdaisy::ultduckhunt::ultfox: - looking forward to testing them (I have high hopes for Pokemon Trainer and Snake)

God, I really hope :ultzelda: and :ultganondorf: are not bottom tier this game.
And with the landing lag changes, :ultjigglypuff: is finally buffed!
(Puff Buff: https://clips.twitch.tv/CleanAcceptableOysterDendiFace)

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Where I stand at the moment:

Main(s): :ultganondorf: / :ultwolf:
Secondaries: :ultfalco::ultike::ultshulk:

I love Ganondorf and Wolf so I can't say for sure I'd main one over the other. Definitely mained Wolf in Brawl though because the Dorf was a POS, unfortunately.

My secondaries just include characters from series I really enjoy outside of Smash (naturally, the same goes for my main(s). I don't really bother exploring other characters outside of the ones I listed since at least one of them will good and I'm a loyalist.

Certain newcomers could make me change my mind (like Shulk's inclusion in Smash 4), but until then, this is where I'm at.

I didn't play much of Smash 4 though because Wolf got cut, Ganondorf still didn't sit right with me, and Falco genuinely gave me a "Dat ain't Falco!" vibe. I was too hurt to even bother putting in effort to main Ike or Shulk.

Fun Fact: I mained Fox in 64 because he was the only Star Fox rep at the time. Couldn't be bothered with Link because I'm all about the Triforce of Power.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
So, rewatching the Wolf trailer again made me notice something I'm not a fan of.

Wolf's supposed to be 6'2", yet he's portrayed so short. Looks like maybe only a little bit taller than Fox. Granted, I know Smash isn't accurate when it comes to character height, and Wolf's probably just using Fox's skeleton, but unless Corrin is 7' tall, I really don't like how short Wolf seems to be.

Otherwise, Wolf looks great. Just needs his textures touched up.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
So, rewatching the Wolf trailer again made me notice something I'm not a fan of.

Wolf's supposed to be 6'2", yet he's portrayed so short. Looks like maybe only a little bit taller than Fox. Granted, I know Smash isn't accurate when it comes to character height, and Wolf's probably just using Fox's skeleton, but unless Corrin is 7' tall, I really don't like how short Wolf seems to be.

To be fair, he looks taller than Brawl, and his stance is a little lower than Corrin's. Also, if he was as tall as Corrin, he would look quite bulky and his hurtbox would be pretty big, so I'm ok with this, as long as he's taller than Fox and Falco.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime

I like it. But then again I always preferred shorter characters. Smaller hurtboxes are always a good thing and it makes them look cuter.

SimonBarSinister

Smash Lord
NNID
SimonBarSinister
3DS FC
2406-5996-7869

For some reason I've always had it in my head that the Starfox characters were a bit shorter than the average human. As far as I know, Smash is the only frame of reference we have for basing these humanoid characters off of. Unless there's something out there that I'm not aware of.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
For some reason I've always had it in my head that the Starfox characters were a bit shorter than the average human. As far as I know, Smash is the only frame of reference we have for basing these humanoid characters off of. Unless there's something out there that I'm not aware of.
Apparently there was a Star Fox 64 website that existed back in the day, with various bits of info on characters. Since then, the site's been taken down, but there exists an archive online. Here's a link to the reconstructed cast page, where it lists the name, age, height, weight, rating, and bio for most of the game's characters.

For example, in Star Fox 64:
Fox was 18, 5'8"/1.73m, 155lbs/70.31kg

Falco was 19, 6'2"/1.88m, 164lbs/74.84kg

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Smash makes all of the Spacies look shorter than they are. And in Smash, many character sizes are pretty irrelevant to their models.

I mean we have Ridley now and he's too...

Fox always looks barely taller than Mario and Mario is, what, 5'1" or something? Falco is shorter than every FE character, and I doubt they exceed 6'2".

However, in the designer's defense, both Fox and Wolf are noticeably slouched in their idle pose and basically never stand up straight.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Its also worth noting that the screenshot of Wolf and Corrin is at a slight angle, with Wolf in the background; this will slightly shrink his proportions.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Apparently there was a Star Fox 64 website that existed back in the day, with various bits of info on characters. Since then, the site's been taken down, but there exists an archive online. Here's a link to the reconstructed cast page, where it lists the name, age, height, weight, rating, and bio for most of the game's characters.

For example, in Star Fox 64:
Fox was 18, 5'8"/1.73m, 155lbs/70.31kg

Falco was 19, 6'2"/1.88m, 164lbs/74.84kg
Adding on, Cloud is 5'7" (173 cm), Little Mac's height in Punch-Out!! (Wii) is 5'7" (~172 cm) as well, and Solid Snake in Metal Gear Solid is 5'11" (182 cm). Solid Snake is a bit weird since he has three given heights, but they don't vary that much in terms of feet and inches. Metal Gear 2 has him at 5'10" (178 cm) and Metal Gear Solid 4 has him at 5'10" (180 cm). MGS4 you can explain as Snake's body degenerating. It's also a bit weirder since Snake is a clone of Big Boss and Big Boss was somehow taller than him in MGS1 at 6'3" (192 cm) according to its website, but he was dead by then, but you could chalk that up as an in-game universe thing of The Patriots exaggerating aspects about Big Boss to make him more legendary and heroic than he was. In MG2, Big Boss was the same height as Snake was in MGS4, so there's that. His twin, Liquid Snake, is around his height in MGS1, though, at 6'0" (183 cm). Anyway, I digress.

Point is that Cloud is around Fox's height and Snake is around Falco and Wolf's height. From what I remember of Smash 4, Fox and Little Mac are about the same height, but I don't know about Cloud. For Brawl, there's videos of Snake's codecs that you can view if you want gameplay footage of them standing around. Falco and Snake are roughly the same height, but it's weird since Snake slouches and his height actually might be based on Big Boss's inexplicably I grew 4 inches/10 cm after I was dead and old and Falco's in his fighting pose, so he's not standing upright either. Snake and Wolf look closer, but it's incredibly hard to see in-game because of Wolf's really animated idle animation and Wolf's mohawk seems to be taller in Assault/Brawl than in Zero/Ultimate.

And if you want more height stuff, look at Link, young Link, and Toon Link. BotW Link's stance looks lower than the previous Links and he seems shorter than them where I think Skyward Sword Link is the tallest since he didn't seem that short compared to other characters in that game and BotW and Twilight Princess are the shortest, but young Link being that tall is kind of ridiculous. If it's OoT young Link, then he's 9 years-old and Majora's Mask would be around 12 years-old where okay, growth spurt, but dude.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Real talk, I've always liked K Rool. He's been a bit neglected (read: ignored) recently in the Donkey Kong games, but he's DKs Bowser or Ganondorf. And he's more than workable in Smash. The more I think about how his character and personality can be applied in Smash, the more interesting he becomes. He'd be such a different fighter, with a Bowser style but a fusion of Wario and King Dedede in terms of being colorful and zany. Using his Blunderbuss, odd crown attacks, boxing moves, using his goons as weapons, barrel attacks...there's a lot of potential with this guy, and he's probably THE biggest newcomer missing in Smash now that we have Ridley.

Edit: For some reason, this posted here and not in the K Rool thread because my phone was tweaking out, ignore this.

Last edited:

Spaceless

Smash Cadet
In my opinion Wolf's height is totally fine. In Brawl he also looked smaller because of his stance. In his taunt you could see that he is actually quite tall. And his stance means smaller hurtbox which I won't complain about. That it is also cool Looking makes it perfect.

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
I retired from Smash 4 and was only going to come back under the pretense that Wolf came back in Smash 5. God, I hope he's good in this game.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Yup, same. I stuck with Falco the most since he was the closest to Wolf you could get, but it didn't feel as satisfying using that Bair with the bird.
(Granted Falco being fairly bad didn't help. That laser endlag was ruthless and he lost his setups from previous games. A bit too reliant on utilt, uairs and reads)

I did enjoy playing as DK too. He felt rewarding albeit very BnB like a lot of the Smash 4 cast. I also would like Robin more if she had some decent grab and throw game, and of course I used Fox from time to time but his lack of KO ability doesn't mesh well with me and I felt that I was always under pressure to finish off the opponent after a certain % of damage he/she had made combos unreliable.

Walfan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Walfan
3DS FC
1719-3715-3474
I had sort of the same experience as you guys. Robin was my most wanted newcomer but Wolf getting cut sapped a lot of enjoyement out of the game and I ended up not being as motivated to get good at it. Nothing clicked as well and I could never get into the other space animals. I got bored quickly and only played the occasional match with friends.

It's still mind-boggling to me that Wolf didn't even return as DLC.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Yeah losing Wolf sucked. I remember the feeling of disappointment when I found out he wasn't in Smash 3ds. And my disappointment continued when he was shafted during the DLC run, even though I liked most of the fighters that were added. I still remember being kind of bitter towards Lucas for being Wolf's closest peer during that time and getting the nod first. Japan just got precedence over the West there.

I am bit slow sometimes, so even when I saw "Everyone is here!" I still wasn't expecting Wolf until he came on screen. Made the whole experience of the direct that much sweeter.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Yeah, I remember the ESRB leak, where Fox's Wolf-based alt was shown. Hoped that it was fake, but turns out it wasn't.

Then DLC came along, and I was happy to see Lucas return. Thought him and Wolf being cut together was stupid, plain and simple.

After Lucas though, I began to loathe Smash 4. I'm not a fan of Fire Emblem or 3rd Parties, and so the rest of the DLC after Lucas all consisting of characters from those two categories made me pretty angry.

I think the lowest point for the Wolf community was after the final Smash 4 presentation. Some still thought Wolf had a chance with Star Fox Zero on the horizon, and YouTubers like Etika covering/promoting the idea didn't help things.

It's been a long 10 years coming, though. Hyped that he's finally back. Hopefully he stays back.

Chameleos

Smash Rookie
Yeah losing Wolf sucked. I remember the feeling of disappointment when I found out he wasn't in Smash 3ds. And my disappointment continued when he was shafted during the DLC run, even though I liked most of the fighters that were added. I still remember being kind of bitter towards Lucas for being Wolf's closest peer during that time and getting the nod first. Japan just got precedence over the West there.

I am bit slow sometimes, so even when I saw "Everyone is here!" I still wasn't expecting Wolf until he came on screen. Made the whole experience of the direct that much sweeter.
I felt the same way when I was watching that live. Wolf was one of the last characters to make it into Brawl so I was expecting him to still end up scrapped in some way.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Yeah, I remember the ESRB leak, where Fox's Wolf-based alt was shown. Hoped that it was fake, but turns out it wasn't.

Then DLC came along, and I was happy to see Lucas return. Thought him and Wolf being cut together was stupid, plain and simple.

After Lucas though, I began to loathe Smash 4. I'm not a fan of Fire Emblem or 3rd Parties, and so the rest of the DLC after Lucas all consisting of characters from those two categories made me pretty angry.

I think the lowest point for the Wolf community was after the final Smash 4 presentation. Some still thought Wolf had a chance with Star Fox Zero on the horizon, and YouTubers like Etika covering/promoting the idea didn't help things.

It's been a long 10 years coming, though. Hyped that he's finally back. Hopefully he stays back.
Agree for sure on the last part. I liked most of the DLC characters and FF7 is my favorite game of all time, while I'm also a fan of Fire Emblem.

The big thing, was that back in the GameCube days, I loved Starfox Assault and Wolf was my favorite character in that game. I remembered seeing him in Starfox 64, but had never played it as much as I wanted. Assault though. His heroic team up with Team Starfox during the Aparoid invasion at the end of the game was badass and felt so cool. And unlocking him in multiplayer was difficult but satisfying.

During the Brawl speculation days, I fell into the Krystal bandwagon because I just wanted a Starfox fighter that wasn't similar to Fox. When we got Wolf, I somehow felt betrayed because Ms. Blue Fox wasn't in, even though I loved Wolf, and I assumed Wolf was identical to Fox because Smash Dojo showed his FS and similar specials.

But then I played him. So damn fun to play and he was the best feeling character in Brawl. I remembered how much I enjoyed him previously and turned over a new leaf. He became the first solo main I've ever had. In every other Smash game. I've tried everybody a decent amount and bounced around to keep things fresh. But in Brawl, it was always the Wolf show.. When I had to start a new game a couple times, I cheesed special smash 1 HP flower matches just to speed towards Wolf ASAP.

I love Cloud. I like most of the Smash cast a fair bit. But Wolf is my favorite Smasher full stop. His design, voice acting, all of his moves; he just felt awesome. And I hope he feels awesome again. I may actually bounce around in this next game too though. Gotta have some love for my other favorites as well, like Shulk and Cloud. But neither of them have this:
250px-Wolf_side_b.jpg

Last edited:

Kuragari

Smash Apprentice
Same. Im super stoked. As much fun as I had in Smash 4, I never played it as much as Melee or Brawl- meaning I didn't try to go after every trophy or unlock on the reward panel like I did with those two.

ShadowSmasher

Smash Rookie
Hi guys! I’m new to smash boards and was planning on maining Wolf in SSBU because I mained him in brawl! I was sad when they cut him in smash 4 :(. The boards here seem really cool and I hope to talk to you guys!
~Wisnam

ShadowSmasher

Smash Rookie
On that note, where do you think his initial placement on the tier list will be? I’m thinking around brawl placement, since they didn’t change him too much, other than DA and nair. They did nerf dsmash though.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Hi guys! I’m new to smash boards and was planning on maining Wolf in SSBU because I mained him in brawl! I was sad when they cut him in smash 4 :(. The boards here seem really cool and I hope to talk to you guys!
~Wisnam
Welcome!

On that note, where do you think his initial placement on the tier list will be? I’m thinking around brawl placement, since they didn’t change him too much, other than DA and nair. They did nerf dsmash though.
Way too early for me to even bother making a guess. The wording in the Direct was that he received "significant" upgrades (I think?), so even though some moves look to be the same or something similar, that may not even be the case for the rest of his moves (tilts, remaining smash attacks, remaining aerials, throws, yadda yadda). I'll reserve judgment until I can see everything else. Can't take away much from what we got to see in his introduction trailer.

+ The roster almost doubled since Brawl. So many new matchups :o

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Yeah I noticed D Smash was nerfed too, its slower in this game. Probably deserved, because it was pretty ridiculous in Brawl. I wonder if back air will get nerfed too...

Top Bottom