• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf>Fox?

[Deuce]

Smash Journeyman
Just wanted to see some opinions. Right now I'm playing all 3 spacies, but Wolf just feels much easier to play with, some of his moves flow better..

Fox's trot is sexier but I like Wolf's Bair since it is instantaneous and can be cancelled into a ground move upon landing (not sure about fox's bair cancelability i'll have to check again)

.. actually now that I think about it, I remember Fox's Nair being one of the significant aerials you can chain into another attack.

But anyways, wolf's attacks are more powerful while fox is compensating for some speed, but some of his attacks just dont seem to flow as well as with wolf..

what are your thoughts-

Vegeta214

Smash Apprentice
Spacies are always good. Its a tradition. But you're right Wolf does seem like he has more options than Fox this time. Wolf feels better to me than Fox, and I played that guy for years in both 64 and Melee.

Insane-Contrast

Smash Apprentice
Wolf feels like melee sheik to me. His moves are much better than Fox. Don't get me wrong, Fox is still a good character but not an awesome one. Wolf is awesome.

Sandoggg

Smash Apprentice
i have no idea why, but like a lot of the people above, wolf just instantly clicked with me. fox was my main main in melee, and perhaps it was the playstyle adjustment in brawl, but after a couple games with fox i started checking out other characters and landed quickly on wolf.
i think wolf has a better balance of speed and single hit power, a much better interrupting laser, and to top it off, a (somewhat tricky) spike. i believe he is an all-around better character than fox and can bring much more to the table than just the usual fast always-in-your-face playstyle that fox generally requires.

Hose A

Smash Cadet
At first, I hated Wolf. I was pissed that he was just taking up another character slot as a third space animal. When I first started playing him, he felt clunky and he didn't seem to flow well. However, after several more matches I've started to get a hang of him and I love him. I used to play Fox in Melee but stopped because my fingers were never fast enough to be techy with him. With Wolf, I have plenty of time to see, react, and attack.

Fox McCl0ud

Smash Apprentice
Wolf is awesome and he is good at chaining moves together. However, I still think Falco is the best of the spacies. His combos, speed, laser, stong smash attacks, and his recovery. Plus the fact he is good at the tech and chase game. Makes him one of my favorites.

mikee8728

Smash Rookie
Some of Wolf's attacks come out faster as well. His F-Smash is lightning quick, as with his D-Smash, and his reflector can easily set up some attacks. Wolf is a great character and better than the other 2 space animals imo.

Ghost07

Smash Journeyman
Wolf is great but I wouldn't say he's better than fox or falco. They each have their strong and weak points.

[Deuce]

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm what I meant to say, is that fox's movement is faster, but wolf's actual attacks seem to lag a lot less

for example, from either his nair or bair (need to recheck w/ the others) you can chain it straight to an fsmash, and it comes out almost instantaneously.. whereas with fox you gotta wait for him recover on the ground, same with falco.

and I was a falco mainer in melee and brawl falco = :[

dak0tah

Smash Cadet
i was a falco and shiek mainer in melee, and since playing Wolf, i havnt looked back. hes definatly fast enough to accomplish whatever you need him to in the least time possible, and at the same time, powerful enough to get to the job done. i may have just said the same thing twice, im not sure.

[Deuce]

Smash Journeyman
^^^ I disagree, can you explain why you think so?

Wolf has plenty of profitable traits, such as higher weight (which in turn provides additional speed), power, chainability, good aerials, a projectile, a projectile defense, a spike, and more I'm sure, that allow him to be a top level character, but I can't really say the same about falco... as for fox, I'm still at a crossroads.

I might as well post some more findings right now..
I found that falco can chain his dair into an utilt and perhaps an usmash, but I really dislike his fsmash in comparison to wolfs and fox's.. falco's is just pre-laggy in comparison.

I like falco's bair, but it's hard to take advantage of its preemptiveness sometimes because of falco's floatiness- you have to combine it with another aerial instead of fastfalling to continue the aggression: typically another bair, or double jumped bair, dair, or nair.

The dair just sucks sometimes, it spikes only when connecting at certain angles.
I don't use the fair that often, I guess its just melee instinct, but the nair is actually pretty handy, it can be short hopped for most of its damage at a side platform on battlefield, or full jumped at the center platform. It can also be full jumped when the opponent is right above you so you can get a few hits in, and escape in just the one jump.

Falco's AAA to shine can be dodged.
Dtilt seemed reduced in range if I recall correctly.

Fox:
The first thing I want to talk about is his bair- it has its good and bad sides to it- it reminds me of captain falcon's knee, in which you'll have to time it, which makes it more difficult to utilize than wolf's bair. Also, not only does it have pre-lag (falcon knee) it also has post lag, where you can't attack right upon landing, same applies to his fair.
Fox's fair's been buffed a little, but the knockback is reserved for the last hit if I recall, whereas wolf's is instantaneous.
The nair, however, has no post lag upon landing and can chain into any move. This, along with fox's dair, is what I like about fox's aerials.

Wolf's bair and nair and I think his uair too have no landing lag
Wolf has ... range? (dont know what word I can use) as well as power and slight speed with his fsmash
Wolf's usmash is powerful, but thats pretty much it. You'll have to either time it, hyphen smash it, or mindgame into it or something for it to hit
I think im starting to get a little long in my typing so I'll cut it shorter
Wolf Bair> Falco Bair>Fox Bair (not sure on knockback quality)
Wolf Nair ? Falco Nair ? Fox Nair - they all have their own goods and bads
Fox Dair = Falco Dair > Wolf Dair - not sure which is better, fox's or falcos

Falling speed
Fox=Wolf>Falco

Overall Speed
Fox>Wolf>Falco

Power
Wolf>the other 2

..... well these are just opinions, and my own research, but I wanted to compare findings with everyone else.

nitnit

Smash Cadet
I was using wolf as soon as I unlocked him (1 day after the game was out), but now everyone I play with is screaming "Wolf is OP bawwwww" -_-;

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Mario and Sonic Guy is just some noob troll. Ignore him.

I've developed three common themes with the Star Fox franchise:

1. They all have the same Final Smash
2. They're all top tier
3. I forgot... dammit...

Sneakz

Smash Apprentice
Trust me Wolf is good now, (I know since I use him) and for a while will be better than Fox but I have a strong feeling Speed will be the main thing in Brawl and Fox has that over him so in the future, it will prob be Fox as the best but since we're all newbies now .... We prefer characters that just do the job quick >.< Wolf does it quick

Don't get me wrong Wolf will also get better but how much can he?

angdia

Smash Rookie
Wolf is better than falco, if not fox. I don't play fox so I don't know (they seem pretty equal to me), but I used to main falco until I realized wolf is better overall (as a side note, meta knight is probably better in every way). His smashes are more powerful, longer ranged, and some are faster (FSmash for sure and I think the front part of DSmash but I haven't played falco in a while so I'm not sure), and overall much more useful. Both their b-airs are their best air attack (maybe falcos dair is) and wolf's bair has the advtantage in terms of range, power, and angle of knockback, and his fair is usable unlike falco's, which is quite bad. However, falco probably makes up for this with his superior dair. Still, spiking some enemies is very difficult (wolf being one of them imo), so it's not a huge advantage. Their b attacks are comparable, wolfs b-up goes farther while his b-side isn't as practical an attacking move.

Despite these points, I think falco's main problem is his floatiness. He has good air game, but on smaller characters a SH will go over their heads, and you can't hit them with an aerial move from there, which negates his air advantage. This is especially true against meta knight, who can reach you while you can't reach him.

Falco has his strong points but overall wolf is better in my opinion. If you disagree, feel free to state why. I may be wrong.

Jon2Anderson

Smash Rookie
I haven't used wolf much. I am a true Fox user, and I have grown very used to him and i'm not very comfortable with any other characters, but after hearing all the hype about wolf I might have to sit down and do some hard core practicing with him to gain comfortability and raise my game to a new level 8-)

warp

Smash Rookie
Before I got Brawl I was wondering who my main would be. I always play every character and whoever feels natural to me I main. This was the case with Sheik in Melee. When I started playing Brawl I quickly became decent with Pit against my friends and most of the time I won.

I thought I had found my main and spent quite a bit playing with him getting better. The after I unlocked Wolf I started playing him just to see what it was like it felt incredible, like it just clicked to me. I was very comfortable and flowed naturally with him. I quickly forgot about Pit and now I main Wolf and I've never been happier, he's just awesome.

And about Wolf > Fox, I am yet to lose to a Fox. To me speed is not that big of a deal in Brawl as it was in Melee so I believe Wolf will dominate Fox and Falco.

//5M45H\\

Smash Rookie
Wolf is moderately slow, dies pretty easily, has smashes that send enemies flying, but not so much out of the course unless they're at high percentage, he cannot jump as high fox or falco, but his aerial attacks are pretty powerful, but honestly IMO, his aerial attacks are very inferior to Falco, but about equal to Fox. So for me, since Fox was toned down in this game, it'd be Falco>Wolf=Fox because Falco is just like, too good. Honestly, there's really nothing bad about him. Wolf lacks in speed but contains power, and Fox lacks in power but has speed. And they both have other ups and downs, but overall, I'd say they're about equal honestly. I choose characters that I don't believe are overpowered so that it can be a fair fight without complaints from my friends, and from what I've seen, Wolf is definitely not ranked up with people like Marth, Ike, Lucas, Snake, Wario, Pikachu, etc. Just my opinion.

BrawlBro

Smash Ace
This whole thing with everyone saying wolf just 'feels' right to them... im not getting that at all. to me he just feels wrong

Ill stick with fox for now but im still gonna give wolf some more practice.

Ill stick with the speed.

Juicy

Smash Apprentice
personally this sounds like just another tier list discussion, only it has 3 people instead of 35(39). its still to soon to make any say who is better. if you go to the fox thread more responces will be for fox, same as falco thread will mostly say falco, and same as this thread is wolf. right now they are about the same and the person with the more skill will win, simple as that. brawl is very balenced and i think it will take acouple of years to determine who is better. till then will people just drop the topic, there is no def answer.

angdia

Smash Rookie
well with wolf you can chain a short hopped nair with a grab or A
Ok, great.

Wolf is moderately slow, dies pretty easily, has smashes that send enemies flying, but not so much out of the course unless they're at high percentage, he cannot jump as high fox or falco, but his aerial attacks are pretty powerful, but honestly IMO, his aerial attacks are very inferior to Falco, but about equal to Fox. So for me, since Fox was toned down in this game, it'd be Falco>Wolf=Fox because Falco is just like, too good. Honestly, there's really nothing bad about him. Wolf lacks in speed but contains power, and Fox lacks in power but has speed. And they both have other ups and downs, but overall, I'd say they're about equal honestly. I choose characters that I don't believe are overpowered so that it can be a fair fight without complaints from my friends, and from what I've seen, Wolf is definitely not ranked up with people like Marth, Ike, Lucas, Snake, Wario, Pikachu, etc. Just my opinion.
Wolf isn't slow at all, in terms of attacks. Many of his attacks are close to instant coming out and some have very little lag. He may die pretty easily, but also gets kills very easily (if dsmash doesn't kill them in the 100's, they're sure to be off the stage, where wolf has many options). In terms of aerials, only his dair is worse than falco's (we'll assume either wolfs or falcos nair and fair switches places). Falco relies on spikes for kills, which isn't good enough in brawl because of the many varied recoveries which sometimes make it impossible to spike. His other killer, his Fsmash, isn't up to par with wolf's. Wolf also has a better vertical recovery.

After trying fox for a little, I'd say both fox and wolf have clear strengths over eachother, so I'd consider them equal at this point.

Wolf_FTW

Smash Journeyman
I would have to say if you had a good fox and a good wolf going at it both have their strengths it will come down to the better player due to the strengths of each char. but thats just my opinion also in my opinion for the future this is how i think its going to be Wolf=Fox>falco. This is my opinion im sorry if you disagree.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Wolf is definitely the best for me. His smashes are awesome, I love his >Tilt, and his n-air is sweet. He's definitely the number one spacey:

Wolf>Fox>Falco

Gymn

Smash Cadet
I belive that wolf is a little better then Fox, slower by a fraction, but still better then most Alternate Characters like Ganondorf and Captain Falcon

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
Mario and Sonic Guy is just some noob troll. Ignore him.
I've seen him make helpful posts around the boards. A different opinion doesn't make someone a troll or noob...

Anyway, so far, I've found Wolf to click way better with me than Fox. All my specific reasons have already been mentioned, though.

Wolf_FTW

Smash Journeyman
i agree with you all saying that at this moment but thinking into the future i think that fox is going to pass out wolf...and this is coming from a wolf user

M@v

Subarashii!
I think wolf is better, but fox in somes cases has an easier time against ppl wolf has trouble with. Ex. Zelda.

Just "dont get too cocky" when you play him :bee:

PKboy89

Smash Journeyman
All the space animals are good, its just a matter of taste. Aerial attack wise, I'm kinda disappointed with Wolf. His bair is the best bair of the animals, and his spike is much more reliable then Falco's, but his fair shoots the opponent up, which is kinda weird and leaves him landing on his side when used in a short hop, leaving him to be punished easily, and his upair shoots the opponent up as well, but the knockback isn't really strong enough KO, not even at high percentages, unless you're really high up in the air. Also, with Wolf's horrible recovery, its risky to go spiking, especially if it leaves wolf at a bad angle towards the stage, and its really hard to pull off a spike with his forward b. Overall, I think Wolf dominates a lot more ground based, since his attacks are fast and just seem to flow, but when it comes to the air, I think that Fox is better. His fair gets a lotta good his in, and the last kick is powerful and sends them flying sideways. His dair doesn't spike, but gets good hits in, and Fox seems to have better attacks when it comes to sideways knockback, and his upair has much better knockback then wolf's upair.

Twilightwolf

Smash Cadet
You can SH Aerial Cancel with Fair... but you gotta be fast. I need to check if you can fast fall it tho.

Wolf's Uair and Fair have different properties than Fox's. Use Fair for getting breathing room and Uair for "psuedo-juggling"

Wolf's Bair has better knockback in the horizontal range than Fox. Plus, you can wall.

smashking14

Smash Cadet
i agree with you all saying that at this moment but thinking into the future i think that fox is going to pass out wolf...and this is coming from a wolf user
Don't think so, and this is why. They dumbed down fox from melee because they were making wolf such a beast.

SaintStrufenha

Smash Rookie
I find that I can rack up damage more easily with Wolf compared to Fox, but as far as finishing my opponent, Fox does a much better job.

But the extra attack range of the attacks is really nice. That's the only reason I can't seem to do Falco; many of his attacks require your enemy to be in a much closer range.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Wolf's range on his forward smash is insane, I think it might have more range than marth's.

Top Bottom