• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wolf combos (up dated)

Afro_Chris

Smash Ace
alright i'm making this for everyone and anyone who wants to learn to combo with wolf, if u no any combos post them here , so far i've found a few that works very very well, i'm still getting the details about it though... oh when i talk about the forward b i'm only talking about sweet spot, oh and the down tilt has a sweet spot but it's very hard to hit and forgive me for the gammier mistakes

all of these combos were used on real ppl but i haven't tryed them on all the characters yet but these work on/ have been tryed on fox - pit - ike - wolf - falcon - link - toon link - falco - marth- locario

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~BIG THING I FOUND OUT HERE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
!!!!!!!! u can "dair or nair into a grab"!!!!!!!!!!!

very useful, for the nair to grab to work u can't sweet spot it u have to hit them with the after effect of the nair then u can grab, the dair works from 0 - 40% as long as they down leave the ground

this works neer a edge, (u have to be facing it)

down throw - short jump dair

right after the down throw the other player glides right off the stage if u do it quick u can catch them when their off the stage and u can spike them at that moment, but it can be metor canceled so becareful on who ur facing, if ur facing ike and u dont hit him right away it wont work so becareful!!!!!!!!

wolf can chain grab to about 50% by using nair to grab

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

these combos i named cuz i think there wolfs best combo so far there are 2 versions

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(Afro Combo alfa)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

this one works better if ur not close to a edge

dair - down b - f smash - dair - down b - f smash - nair -down throw - forward smash- forward B

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(Afro Combo beta)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

this one works better close to a edge

dair - down b - f smash - dair - down b - f smash - nair -down throw - short jump Dair (if ur close to the edge u can spike if not use the first combo can continue the combo with)

this combo is so far wolfs best combo, it brings the other player from 0 to about 80- 100% the only bad thing is that if the forward b or short jump dair don't hit at the end this combo will not kill but still good damage and u can edge hog with ur dair

one major thing about this combo is i've only done it 3 times and all were on pit so i'm not sure if this works on the other characters i'll try them out later

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~Combos(the combos under the first are add ons to the one above it)~~~~

Combo #1 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

wolf's easiest combo and probably most likely to be used because it's very easy to land is

dair- down b - forward smash

does 35 damage works from 0- 40%

combo # 2~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

dair - down b - f smash - if u want u can add in a forward b only works if they mess up there DI),

Or

dair - down b - f smash - dair - down b - f smash - dair - up smash ( not sure about this one i've only done it on a Lv 9 cpu)

if u do it right it should come up as a 4 - 11 hit combo in training mode, for this to work u have to be right beside the person when u dair to down b to f smash, or else it wont count at all, u can use this combo anywhere from 0 - 20% i think, for u to add the forward b at the end u'll need them to be from 20-35% i think, the best thing about this combo is if u have them end up under u when u hit the forward b it spikes, so try and use this near a edge but be careful not u be to close or u'll just kill ur self, and as well if ur right above the edge after u use it u can take the edge,

combo #3~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bair - forward b,

works around 40-70% if they mess up there D I when u hit this it 75% of the time it may kill if u don't spike, unless u hit them near the edge then it's a 80% chance of u killing them when done right in training mode 2 hit combo

combo #4~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

down b - down til - forward b

same as combo #2 works around 50- 70%,

combo #5~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

dair - down b - f smash

works as long as the dair does not make them leave the ground unless it's very small then it might still works

combo #6~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

down tilt - forward b

works around 60% and higher

Combo #7~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

down throw - forward smash

not sure if they can break out of this one yet but it works at around 0 - 20% or as long as when u down throw they stand up right after

Combo #8 (this is one of my favs)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

nair - nair - nair - forward b OR F smash

ok this one is kind of hard to land because i found out that when wolf uses his nair if the other player is right beside u then they travel with u, so far i've only be able to hit 3 in a row until they got to far so i just ended with a forward b, if they stay in the ground when they go to far use the f smash instead, if they end up in the air use the forward b, works around 40%

combo # 9~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

down tilt (no sweet spot) - forward smash, or down smash ,or up smash

combo # 10

a - a - a -forward b

this works around 70-85% do the full jab and end it with forward b

combo #11

bair - forward b

for this to work they need to mess up there DI works around 80-100%, if the forward b hits they die most of the time

these r all the combos that i have found, i hope these help u and if u find any combos post them up here, i'll make a video on these soon.

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
Um, no offense but most of these combos will never work in high level competitive play. They may catch some people by surprise but that's pretty much it. Just wanted to let you know :)

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
I have a similar combo like his fifth one, expect it's Nair>Shine>f-smash, with works in competitive play very well. the rest, seem pretty cool, but I still have to go with Kouryuu which some of them. Although, nice combo's buddy.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
Yea, noob, is throw the same as a grab =\ sorry I'm a noob, I know, I don't know the difference yet.

and tilting, you know what, is their a term thread that explains ho to do them?

Very nice though, I tried some of these and they worked amazingly.

iZack

Smash Rookie
somethin i noticed about recovering after spiking with wolf (dair)...it's kinda not possible unless you're really high in the air cause the lag after that move finishes puts you so far below the platform that it's nearly impossible to recover from. however, what i find works better for edge guarding is chasing after them and using his fair. it's kinda like a reverse spike cause it knocks them almost straight up. it's best to use this the higher they are up in the air during their recovery (good against chars that fly and float like pit, dedede, meta knight etc.) cause the higher they are the lower their percentage needs to be to star KO them. it's also easier for you yourself to get back from this cause his fair has some lag too (not as much as dair). better to use his side b rather than his up b, at least i have a hard time controlling his up b and it isn't as good as fox and falco's fire (as far as recovering goes).

what i wanna know is aside from nair>shine>f-smash, what're the combos that work in competitive play vs. the ones that don't and why?

kciD

Smash Journeyman
wolf's bair has virtually no lag after hitting the ground, so if you hit your opponent just before the ground, at cetrain (low) percents you can combo into a f-smash.

that's all I've figured out myself.

iZack

Smash Rookie
one more thing i forgot to mention that i discovered. dair (while opponent is on the ground). at certain percentages, it will knock them high enough into the air to either do a usmash on them or if they get rly high jump after them and uair or bair or fair. works nicely.

BlackYoshi7

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I don't really like the dair as a meteor. The windup is slow and predictable, and your recovery is pretty mediocre so it's dangerous to use. Plus it isn't a spike. I'd rather just chase and side-KO them with the bair, or go for the juggle with uairs/fairs.

Twilightwolf

Smash Cadet
The initial post needs to use better english... decoding it is hard enough.

Anyway, it is good practice NOT to name combos after yourself unless it is an autoKO and you are the first to use it effectively (see Ken). Good job in finding the combos. I will try them out over Spring Break.

Also, does Dair cancel (as in L-canceling) if the animation finishes before landing? (a la Ganondorf)

Bocks

Smash Apprentice
you can easily recover with after using a dair off the edge... i really dont know how you wouldn.t

after a dthrow, if your opponent techs you wont be able to fsmash, its better to dash chase, read the tech and THEN fsmash accordingly, some characters however will be ables to break out of the throw with an nair before having to tech making this also problematic, the main combo here that works competitively is the nair -> down b -> fsmash

and to black yoshi, learn to meteor, especially as wolf, he doesnt have much of a horizontal jump and if you chase some one off the edge and "juggle with uair" then maybe just try a dif character?

and to twilight wolf, yes it does

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
If you want to be variant with your possibilites with the Nair to shine, you can always use some of the following. I can be sure that this work well in competitive gaming:

Nair>Shine>Blaster(the key point of this combo is to rack damage and use the knockback to give safe enough distance to pull off some more handy tricks.)

Nair>Shine>D-smash(Just a variation to the f-smash. With this you have a little bit more diversity since it will hit behind you as well in case they roll in the opposite direction.)

are that you can pretty much get creative. In a since, the shine after the Neutral A is just another form of drill shining just without a few other things(L-canceling, etc).

Now towards the Recovering from Dair(and yes it is a spike. Not as beastly as others, but it will send you to your doom), its pretty much based on your DI depending on how difficult it'll be to recover. Example, if you Dair'ed someone, killing them in the process from the spike and you have to recover. The key point is not to waste your second jump(gives you even more of a boost), which from there, depending on the angle, can either Forward B or angle your Up B. Even if your dropping vertically, your Up B has enough distance to atleast allow you to grab the edge(of course, without using your second jump, recovering from anything is alot easier).

Wingless Abaddon

Smash Rookie
U-air is horrible for juggling.

Wolf's Front air has more vertical knockback than his U-air. If anything, try to get your back to the edge and use your Back air, if you can't spike. At least that move has little need for recovery time and can be done in succession.

Bocks

Smash Apprentice
on the topic of wolf spiking, its really good to practice on FD because the ledge will **** you, so go to fd, practice shorthop spiking after a dthrow, use your second jump to line up vertically with the ledge (has to be perfect on FD hence good practice) and upB, if you double jump spike to catch them off guard, a side B is nearly always possible

Sledfang

Smash Rookie
I'm sure it's been picked up on, but I've notice that while the shine does little damage and knockback, it cancels basically every attack ever, special or otherwise, and it is much easier to use than Fox's shine. I was pretty disappointed with it at first until I realized this little fact. So far the best uses for this are things like Falcon Kick and all of Metaknight's moves... pretty much all attacks that come at you from a distance, as long as the shine connects with the character and not an extension of them. Obviously it reflects ranged attacks but it won't stop things like the hookshot or Zero Suit's whip.

Just like most people have said, you have several options to use following the shine, particularly depending on whether the opponent gets caught behind or in front of you. Best option is usually DSmash because it will hit either side of you, but you can easily get an FSmash if they are in front.

Twilightwolf

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I noticed that the hitbox on Wolf's shine is larger than melee Falco's (I was a Falco main).

Wolf's Dair spikes vertically, with no horizontal momentum (like melee Falco's Dair). Wolf's Uair is not terrible for juggling, but it is worse than, say, Meta Knights Uair. I prefer to use the Utilt.

Does the Blaster combo into anything (wind-down lag is a little long I know)? I love his blaster spam, but all it needs is a good combo out of. I'll get on practice mode to find out. i.e. Blaster->Fsmash?

Sledfang

Smash Rookie
Blaster has great combo potential if you hit with the bayonet. If you haven't noticed, the bayonet is on the tip of his blaster and if you hit enemies with it it knocks them back and then the blaster stuns them, putting them in basically the most perfect range for Fsmash. I'm pretty sure bayonet knockback is fixed, so this is a great finisher for highly damaged opponents if the opportunity arises.

Roscoewolf

Smash Cadet
Some of the combos seem to elaborate to actually work , the first few steps of a few of em are effective though

Captain Sa10

Smash Journeyman
Down Air- While in the air, wolf performs a powerful slam with his claws, causing the opponent to meteor vertically either into the stage or into the "abyss" as I call it.

Neutral Air-While in the air, wolf preforms a sumersault, which hits in three different frames of the attack.

Juggling- Using multiple aerials, or tilt's that produce constant damage rack up that the opponent cant get away from, allowing the other player to "juggle" them.

Now about the blaster. I must say that next to his shine, his blaster is the next best defensive and offensive approach. What I like to do is Nair into the opponent, and then immediately using my blaster to give him an extra 15% and knockback.

ledhead

Smash Apprentice
I've found one useful and short combo with Wolf. Shine-> fsmash. Shine stuns just enough and at the right distance to hit with a cstick'd fsmash, and works well enough that you can't be punished by a shieldgrab.

BlackYoshi7

Smash Apprentice
you can easily recover with after using a dair off the edge... i really dont know how you wouldn.t

after a dthrow, if your opponent techs you wont be able to fsmash, its better to dash chase, read the tech and THEN fsmash accordingly, some characters however will be ables to break out of the throw with an nair before having to tech making this also problematic, the main combo here that works competitively is the nair -> down b -> fsmash

and to black yoshi, learn to meteor, especially as wolf, he doesnt have much of a horizontal jump and if you chase some one off the edge and "juggle with uair" then maybe just try a dif character?

and to twilight wolf, yes it does
I was only referring to the effectiveness of his aerials in general. No one goes off the edge to juggle. I was referring to at low %s.

The long ending lag after the dair pretty much means you can't meteor someone whose under the level without suiciding, especially because he falls faster while using it (and as a character falls faster in general). Also, meteor cancelling isn't that hard in this game.

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
no offense to the creater of these combos or anything but me and dope have been doing these combos since we first played it. nair shine ftilt or fsmash works well and can shield poke
dair utilt uair or fair works really well
and nair utilt bairx2 (possibly end with a metor spike dair) has worked for me a couple of times.

this isint guilty gear were you can get 32+ combos smash combos are usually 4 to 8 hits unless its an infinate.

teekay

Smash Journeyman
People REALLY need to stop thinking you can combo an fsmash out of using shine. Ugh. All you have to do is go into training and try this and notice that the consecutive hit counter does not go beyond the 2 hits your fsmash get. It's not a combo. If you hit people with it it's because they suck.

Most of the things mentioned in this thread aren't combos. There are hardly any combos IN this game and if you are filling threads with chains of 8 moves you can be pretty well guaranteed you have not found combos, you have just found sequences of moves that sort of look like combos when you do them on training dummies.

If you find yourself saying something like "it's escapable but..." you have not found a combo. Combos by definition are inescapable.

If you find that you did a series of moves to your friend successfully, chances are you haven't found a combo. You've probably outsmarted your friend's attempts to escape from you. That's a huge element of gameplay but it doesn't mean that your series of moves was inescapable.

If you find yourself attempting to name a series of completely escapable moves after yourself, you just... you need to rethink your whole approach to life.

Really there is only one way to know if you have done a combo. Go in training, turn on the help screen, and watch the consecutive hits counter. If it goes up for every hit in your sequence of moves, then you've got a combo. If not, you've got a sequence of moves that is effective against people not expecting it or with slow reaction time.

In short: please stop.

Bocks

Smash Apprentice
People REALLY need to stop thinking you can combo an fsmash out of using shine. Ugh. All you have to do is go into training and try this and notice that the consecutive hit counter does not go beyond the 2 hits your fsmash get. It's not a combo. If you hit people with it it's because they suck.

Most of the things mentioned in this thread aren't combos. There are hardly any combos IN this game and if you are filling threads with chains of 8 moves you can be pretty well guaranteed you have not found combos, you have just found sequences of moves that sort of look like combos when you do them on training dummies.

If you find yourself saying something like "it's escapable but..." you have not found a combo. Combos by definition are inescapable.

If you find that you did a series of moves to your friend successfully, chances are you haven't found a combo. You've probably outsmarted your friend's attempts to escape from you. That's a huge element of gameplay but it doesn't mean that your series of moves was inescapable.

If you find yourself attempting to name a series of completely escapable moves after yourself, you just... you need to rethink your whole approach to life.

Really there is only one way to know if you have done a combo. Go in training, turn on the help screen, and watch the consecutive hits counter. If it goes up for every hit in your sequence of moves, then you've got a combo. If not, you've got a sequence of moves that is effective against people not expecting it or with slow reaction time.

In short: please stop.
thank u, and no one forget it (especially the part about shine)

Relhots

Smash Lord
Nice thread, but you really don't need combos to be good with wolf...All you need is timing, and spacing. Because if your fighting a heavy character, it is very dangerous to combo, since he has a lot of lag, and not much knock back on the ground (in order to get a combo going/ launch distance of the character parallel & vertical to the ground). So the heavy character has a really good chance (if you miss/opponent dodges/vs. ike) you can easily set yourself up into a combo for the opponent. And if you do hit, you have to hit the opponent in the air, and if you miss, you will just set yourself up in another combo (no-matter who the character is) and im sure they'll appreciate the free kill. If you use a grounded combo, you are safe unless the opponent gets behind you, and then your screwed...because you just set yourself up for a combo, or the opponent is spacing (which can be really bad for wolf).

So in short, wolf sucks at comboing at low or mid percentages (in the air and ground, due to the chance/probability of getting knocked out of his combo/SD/or getting countered).

BlackYoshi7

Smash Apprentice
Ok, since combos are almost non-existent, can we all agree to call things chains/strings, or consider combos/chains/strings to all mean the same thing in the context of brawl? Thanks to no hitstun on pretty much every single move, there are almost no true combos in this game, so there isn't any need to argue over semantics.

Top Bottom