• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

WoI at the ledge (video) added possible uses

kupo15

Smash Hero
Ok, before I get your hopes up, this is NOT something you will do often. It may be helpful or not, but it pretty fun to do. Sorry for the secret, I thought the boards needed a bit of life today and something to hopefully look forward to.

So we know that WoI can cancel pretty much anything at the startup, lets say a Falcon punch for example. Even though this is a countering option, shielding or dodging is a much better choice. So then I decided to challenge traditional thinking and see what would happen if I countered a ledge attack with the WoI and it yielded some fairly interesting results. Not to mention it looks kick***!

If you use WoI to combat a ledge attack, not only does it cancel the move, but it pushes them off and the auto snap feature does NOT kick it. I haven't tested every character but there seem to be different outcomes. With some characters, it only works if you get hit by the move link Toon Link. Others, it works both ways. It works for some but not for others.

Keep in mind that they DO have a second jump

There is one rule, you MUST be on the ground when you perform the WoI.

There is an exception to this rule. With some characters, you can perform it off the ground if your spaced at the end of the attacks range like Peach. (as shown in the vid) This could allow you to follow up with a move faster by canceling the wings.

Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWNIzuSFFTY

This list is VERY incomplete and any help with it is appreciated and will, of course, be credited! :D

Key:
Y: Works against this char
N: Does not work against this char
H-Works by getting Hit by attack
C-Works by Canceling the attack
W: This move cancels your Wings
G: Can be done off the Ground
(): Not tested

Mario: YHC(G)

Peach: NG
This just cancels both of your moves. She does not fall off and you can cancel ANY frame of her attack. If done on the ground, the wings are not canceled and she still stays on the stage

Pika: YC(H)(G)
GaW: YCW
Snake: YHW(G)
MK: YCH(G)
DDD: YC(H)(G)
TL: YH
Luigi: YCH(G)
Wario: YCH(G)
Pit: Y(C)H(G)

Doubts
If you think the timing is way too hard, I disagree for this reason. In the middle of the fight, you will have a pretty good sense of when he will attack from the ledge based on how the battle goes. You should be able to predict him better while in the flow.

ONE THING WOI CANNOT CANCEL
The one thing that cancels the WoI and overrides it is the auto ledge snap. I have tried to override it and it failed.

Why this can be useful *new

This is a way to counter the ledge attack while keeping them off the ledge. So you are forcing the recovery aspect on them longer than they thought and with 95% confidence eliminated a possible ledge option if they manage to re grab the ledge. It is different than powershielding>attacking because they could DI up making it harder to follow up with a counter. Because they fall right next to the wall WITHOUT the auto snap feature, this COULD be a good setup to:
- Bair stage spike for some characters.
- Dtilt spike because their jump will pop them above the ledge
- Immediate up B from reaction will trap certain chars in certain stage's lip. Snake would be an instant KO with the cypher glitch; and some will leave them way open like DDD

Application
Once, the King of finding good applications especially to my threads, Sagemoon!
my idea for this tech. an expansion:
guy moves on the ledge at this point, you know he's gonna do one of four things.
ledge attack, jump from the ledge, roll, or ledge hop.

so you up b normally, and if it was a ledge attack, you pushed him off already, so grab the ledge
if its a jump, you're at the height where you can uair or raise a bit
if its a ledgehop, follow w/ dair
if its a roll, follow with winglunge fair

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
silly kupo always working hard anywhy I work all day on sunday so I cant get on until 6ish but ya cant wait to see

kown

Smash Lord
Someone on the boards kowns about this because I talked to them very recently and thought it was cool. If you were to ask him, he won't kown. And if he remembers I hope he doesn't spoil anything >_>
I fixed ur spelling for you.

if this is a hint to who kowns than i dont kown it. unless i forgot lol.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
my idea for this tech. an expansion:
guy moves on the ledge at this point, you know he's gonna do one of four things.
ledge attack, jump from the ledge, roll, or ledge hop.

so you up b normally, and if it was a ledge attack, you pushed him off already, so grab the ledge
if its a jump, you're at the height where you can uair or raise a bit
if its a ledgehop, follow w/ dair
if its a roll, follow with winglunge fair

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I'll have to try this against Sauna and see how it works as a mindgame. ^_^ Nice application thar Kupo.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Woa, this is kinda big if you ask me. great find. I'll try it out.

Apollo317

Smash Cadet
Wait, I had no idea that WoI could counter almost anything, and do you have to be on the ground for it to do this, or could you counter a smash attack with a wingdash?

kupo15

Smash Hero
Unfortunately I think you have to be on the ground. My proof is how I can't cancel Peach's ledge attack with a wingdash except with the proper spacing. Even if you could, I don't think it would be a viable option because it would be way easier to perfect shield that frame. Wingdashing would be useful to use at the startup of their move so you avoid it before he lands the punch.

You wouldn't gain any benefit from canceling a non ledge attack with a Wingdash because after you canceled it, you would retreat. But if you were to power shield you would be right there to do as you please. I may have worded that weird. It was hard to explain.

And I added a possible reason why this could be useful in the OP. Also, any help with testing would be appreciated and always credited.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
looks like you could use the up b on the ground (pushing the leadge attack or what not off with no auto snap as pointed out) then fly next to the edge cancal the up b and down tilt spike them it would be fast and not to much they can do.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you mess up, and they don't attack, do you do the regular jumping animation off the ground?

kupo15

Smash Hero
yes but you can use Nair really quickly to defend and I think if you get knocked out of it in between start up and the move, you get your Up B back. I think it lasts that long, not sure.

Top Bottom