• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wizkick Meteor Smashing

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
http://youtu.be/nG59_xUWJ48?t=1m32s

I'd like to focus on wizkicking's meteor smash properties, and how they're more useful now when compared to Brawl.

It was possible to recover in Brawl if you jumped offstage. wizkicked, jumped, then up special. The same method applies here, as well as being able to use both jumps, wizkick, and up special back. What truly increases its viability though, is the new ledge guard mechanics and how they're in favor of Ganondorf.

This was previously extremely risky, as they could just ledge hog you should you miss, and it's still risky, but I'm using this nearly every match to great success. Now, there are definitely mus to avoid this in, like Meta Knight, but to ignore it altogether won't give it a chance to develop(Such as good MUs, any other applicable scenarios.).

Even IF you miss, it has goo KO power so there's not much to worry about aside from recovering, which is easy enough.

I've been using this a ton, and plan to upload more vids where I utilize it. I try and upload entertaining ones, so I won't upload one where say, I win by Ganonciding every stock lol.

Anyway, what are your thoughts guys?

Also, is anyone writing a guide? I may be interested after my MM guide.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Wizkick edgeguarding is kinda overkill when you consider that Ganondorf hitting you with anything offstage is generally speaking deadly. D-air is strictly better for spiking people, and options like N-air and U-air also control space more reliably.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Wizkick edgeguarding is kinda overkill when you consider that Ganondorf hitting you with anything offstage is generally speaking deadly. D-air is strictly better for spiking people, and options like N-air and U-air also control space more reliably.
But writing it is a viable mix up, not just for spiking but KOs. I mean, I definitely use Uair offstage more than wizkick, but the point is I do use it offstage.

This isn't meant to replace any other move, rather, work in combination with them.(Mix Up)

Do you feel it's not a viable mix up?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Personally, I believe aerial Wizkick edgeguarding not only fails to cover options that are seriously useful, the risk you put yourself to do it is not that worth it. Ganon has enough decent tools for killing people who edgeguard low as far as I'm concerned, and the range at which you could viably spike someone with aerial wizkick, they would most likely die to F-air or D-air anyway.

Unless you're talking Wizard's Drop Kick, which actually does cover unique options.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Personally, I believe aerial Wizkick edgeguarding not only fails to cover options that are seriously useful, the risk you put yourself to do it is not that worth it. Ganon has enough decent tools for killing people who edgeguard low as far as I'm concerned, and the range at which you could viably spike someone with aerial wizkick, they would most likely die to F-air or D-air anyway.

Unless you're talking Wizard's Drop Kick, which actually does cover unique options.
I disagree, it covers high and low as well as functioning as a meteor and KO move, although I will agree it's not at all safe in some mus. Fair or Dair would work, yeah, but if they do avoid it it leaves you open. Wzkick does as well, but it's about where you're left open, and almost any punishment given to Fair or Dair isn't applicable to Dspecial.

Bittersweet

Smash Apprentice
NNID
eskay64
3DS FC
2449-5765-1828
I'm gonna have to agree with A2ZOMG on this. While yes, Wizkick has capabilities for all of those, Fair, Dair, and Uair all work better and more accurately for their respective purposes than Wizkick does.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I'm gonna have to agree with A2ZOMG on this. While yes, Wizkick has capabilities for all of those, Fair, Dair, and Uair all work better and more accurately for their respective purposes than Wizkick does.
Fair enough, I understand what he means, I guess it's more so I feel it has potential.

Well, I'll continue using it and see if it has some other use, maybe out prioritizing or something.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
but the swag value
Off the charts.

As Opana mentioned, I can see Aerial Wizkick spiking as a viable mixup, unexcepting players may fall for it.

Another use of this could be a very hard to do trap. Knock opponent off-stage > jump reverse follow above them > aerial wizkick in a position where they will either be forced to airdodge or get hit > recover back on stage if they manage to grab ledge snapping it off them > BAir.

^ Yes, I've done this. Twice.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I spiked a ZSS with Wizkick last night. My pants still feel tight.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I'd like videos too lol, I love watching flashy stunts be pulled off.

Another offstage maneuver that's a favorite of mine is dash->pivot->sourspot uair, which can be followed with a bair if they can still make it but that often gets the job done.

Last edited:

kro_

Smash Apprentice
Wizkick is pretty good for killing players charging an upsmash while waiting for you to fall into it. Kills at 90-100% from my experience. Only utility I've found for it in the air.

Last edited:

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I actually messed up a bit trying to do this >_>

Daeyrat

Smash Journeyman
I don't think meteor wizkick is the best option there, but, against characters who recover from below, it's worth trying because of its active hitbox frames. Easier to calculate than a dair. At high %, they might die on the ceiling anyway.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Used sparingly, it's a nice and unpredictable mix-up.
Ppl seem to get stage-spiked a lot from it.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I used it so damn much, yet I screwed it up every time I tried it in this wifi tourney I was in smh.

I didn't let the jump gain enough height before using wizkick.

I still want to work it in, but that was a shameful mistake considering I just made this lol.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I'd say that WizKick is arguably one of the more riskier moves in Ganon's artillery. But at a high enough percentage, Ganondorf's aerial Wizkick, if it hits, will kill your opponent. It also has that little earthquake effect so you have some level of safety, but the lag is awful. So... use with caution.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Yeah I try not to do aerial onstage much, although when falling I try and Footstool->Wizkick which works great imo. Even if they don't get footstool stun they don't expect a third jump, almost always works for me.

I use it for meteors or just plain old KOs honestly, although I've been using wizkick ledge cancel fairs more and more as it's just faster. Fair seems overall buffed, mean idk about its power but the speed buff is great.

mangamusicfan

Dark lord
NNID
mangamusicfan
3DS FC
1891-2073-5876
I think the risk you bring to yourself is way to high.
like other people said earlyer ganon has more then enough tools to handle it.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I've been playing around with this, and if anyone decides to use this Pivot jumping into wizkick is pretty good on omega stages that are just a big block like Gaur Plain.

It slides down the wall, which is pretty good for Mega Man and DH.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Ganon generally has enough tools to kill even without aerial wizkick, but it doesn't harm to have one more tool on your arsenal. I like to do mine on stage, but I see too many punishes if I get too obvious. lol

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Ganon generally has enough tools to kill even without aerial wizkick, but it doesn't harm to have one more tool on your arsenal. I like to do mine on stage, but I see too many punishes if I get too obvious. lol
I try and wait until I'm just out of range of what I predict they'll use, like an usmash, and counter with an onstage aerial wizkick. Other times I fast fall into a footstool, which near guarantees an aerial wizkick follow up, either from the stun or for the fact that they don't expect it when coming oos.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
I try and wait until I'm just out of range of what I predict they'll use, like an usmash, and counter with an onstage aerial wizkick. Other times I fast fall into a footstool, which near guarantees an aerial wizkick follow up, either from the stun or for the fact that they don't expect it when coming oos.
Hm, I should add footstools into my arsenal, come to think of it. Never really liked it.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
Hm, I should add footstools into my arsenal, come to think of it. Never really liked it.
They're hard to pull off, but can be worth it to score a ko on high percent opponents.

Top Bottom