• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

With the addition of Lucas in Brawl...

Super_alex2

Smash Journeyman
... I really hope that the Earthbound/MOTHER series will be re-released in some way to the rest of the world. We have seen this sort of trend before with the Fire Emblem series in Melee, so why not the MOTHER series? Honestly, there is little reason why Nintendo shouldn't release it to the rest of the world. People have been asking for this series for such a long time, it's odd that Nintendo has ignored the public (in a way). This would be a great way to make a very underrated series well know, especially to younger gamers (much like my self) who weren't able to pick these games up first hand. Agrees? Disagrees?

this has undoubtably been said before, but i think it needs to be more well known.

Card

Smash Lord
The reason?

As glorious, whimsical, and beautiful of a game Mother 2 (EarthBound) was, it sold very poorly in North America. This was due to a variety of factors, ranging from release date timing, to RPG's just not being popular at the time in the Americas, to it's modern look.

You have to remember... in this industry what it all comes down to is Money. Nintendo spent a lot of money on Mother 2, and did not see profit. That's the real reason why Mother 3 is not being released here.

Although I do suggest you go to www.starmen.net. These guys have campaigns and everything, trying to get Nintendo to release Mother 3 stateside. If anyone is going to succeed at your wish, it would be them, so go show your support.

Super_alex2

Smash Journeyman
yes, i am an official Starman :)

but now that rpgs have gotten more popular, and the supprisingly high demand for mother games, i think they have a slightly higher chance in coming out of japan

Zek

Smash Ace
Yeah, Nintendo had high hopes for Earthbound and they got burned. That's why they decided not to localize Mother 3. At this point, even if they wanted to change their minds it's just too late to start the translation process of a full RPG. Be realistic, if they went to all that trouble and released another GBA game 6+ months from now, how many people would actually buy it? Earthbound fans alone probably won't cover their costs.

FaceGuy

Smash Apprentice
It is a shame, but it's unlikely they'd go to the bother of releasing any new GBA game now, let alone one that would require a large amount of translation. Hopefully we'll get it in some form one day.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
It is a shame, but it's unlikely they'd go to the bother of releasing any new GBA game now, let alone one that would require a large amount of translation. Hopefully we'll get it in some form one day.
I don't see why they can't make it for virtual console. Why can't the virtual console play GBA games?

Zek

Smash Ace
I don't see why they can't make it for virtual console. Why can't the virtual console play GBA games?
I don't know, but it doesn't and probably won't for a long time. And even if it eventually does, I still highly doubt VC sales would justify the costs of localization.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Our best bet, other than the PK Siege, is to simply download Earthbound on the VC when it comes out.

SpeedBreaker888

Smash Cadet
Well They made Final Fantasy III come out on the DS, that sold well, and Earthbound/Mother series as legions of fans that would buy the game here in america, I mean RPGs sell well I think for the Handheld systems, so I see no reason why they could try it again, especially with all the Ness/ and So to be Lucas fans from the Smash Bros. series.

Legendary Angel

Smash Apprentice
They ended up releasing the Fire Emblem series to America; and rumor has it that that was partially due to the list of SSBM characters including Marth and Roy.

Ness has been in the SSB series since the beginning, and yet they continue on with Lucas from Mother 3. Then again that could be due exclusively to the fact that Ness had a unique moveset. But so did Marth and Roy.

I don't see any reason for not releasing it. I mean, it's not like Japan itself is familiar with the likes of us Americans. Fire Emblem boomed didn't it? Perhaps Mother 3 would have even better chances over here. Mother 3 for American release!!

Drake3

Smash Ace
Hmm, well with Lucas in Brawl, Mother 3 would spread like wildfire. I think it depends on if Lucas is a good enough character, if his story is interesting, basically if people become interested and want to know more. Anything's possible.

dan smith

Smash Champion
How much could it cost to put it on VC? Yeah, translation...but seriously. Selling a game that you don't have to physically produce and transport has got to be high on profit.

FunkMaster

Smash Journeyman
I do believe that mother 3 will be released in the u.s. after Brawl comes out. it's seems to be similar to the fire emblem thing, really.

maybe the Nintendo people are waiting to see how popular Lucas or any other Mother characters are in
Smash before they make the decision.

Byron X

Smash Journeyman
I heard that they already discussed Mother 3 and it won't be released in the U.S. cause the GBA has be discontinued.

MarvinTPA

Smash Cadet
whoa guys...
It is clear that they WILL NOT release Mother 3 in america.
But for discussion's sake:
The reason Earthbound sold "poorly" is simply because they overcommercialized.
If it had been a relatively silent release, say; with a column in Nintendo Power saying how much they love the game and that was it...
Earthbound wouldn't be such a disapointment.
Just send us the game, no commercials.
Cut down on costs yet make the minorities happy...

hyruleboy

Smash Apprentice
I will personally show up at NOA's door dressed up with 3 other people as the chosen four if they
don't.

Macc

Smash Rookie
I'm glad no one has come and #$(*@&#@ed about this being off topic from Smash Bros. >.> This topic is somewhat refreshing and I believe that Nintendo will at least rerelease Earthbounds SNES incarnation on the virtual console. As far as getting Mother 3, I recommend you do exactly as I did. Import yourself a copy of the game and read the translated diologue from either Starmen.net or gamefaqs. I had an edge over the adverage Mother fanboy since I am studying Japanese.

Nintendo fails to realize the gem they have with the Mother/Earthbound series. It is one of my favorite game series ever and would be extremely refreshing to be continued on future Nintendo platforms. I am sick of hearing about Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy, Dragons Quest, and any other rpg based around endrogenous males wielding giant swords in fantasy settings! Well, actually, I take back that slightly. Alot of Fantasy RPGS out there are really good, but I really would like to see Mother come back as a Nintendo Franchise...

I think alot of reasons they don't want to touch the series, is because Shigesato Itoi *the creator of it all* is no longer directing games. Oh well, I'll just have to persuade them with my idea for Mother 4 and revive the series with a quirky look on western life from a western perspective!

Macc out

Also, I've got a pretty cool Ninten Cosplay if you're up for protesting Nintendo! *Ninten is Mother (Earthbound Zero)'s main protagonist*

Levitas

the moon
lol, should I tell youko that this is off topic? He's like 20 feet from me right now.

Nah, it just gets bad if it's spammish, and this thread makes a good point and is lucas related.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
This isn't too bad, and hopefully reasonable, seeing as how Marth and Roy did the same with FE. But then again, Ness has been in the PAST TWO smash games, and it hasn't done so much for making the franchise mainstream in America...Meh.

Thanks JMan, always got my Ness/Lucas back. :)

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Maybe, maybe not. I wouldn't buy it :/ I didn't even like using Ness in Melee :(

But for you fans I would want it to happen. Its not like I hate the series.

-Onyx

Yo Mang

Smash Rookie
I've run out of optimism honestly. Between Nintendo completely blowing off an American/international release of Mother 1+2 despite loud and obvious demand, and then teasing Americans by dropping the Mother 3 name in speeches and ultimately never doing anything with it, I've lost faith in localization. Starmen.net has worked so long and so hard to get something in the pipeline but so far all that American Mother fans have gotten are half hearted promises that Earthbound will be out on the VC "eventually" (the original promise was last summer, then before '08, now all we have to go by is some second hand news that "all that's left to do is write the online instruction manual." Which seems to be an arcane art that involves gently boiling it in a cauldron over three astrological ages while cooing softly to it in The Old Tongue).

At this point I've resorted to playing Mother 3 with a translation guide and the Fan Translation Team's lovely menu patch. The GBA era is over, so seeing Mother 1+2 or Mother 3 in their current formats is unlikely. They'll probably release Earthbound on the VC eventually despite my pessimism, but I doubt Nintendo would release GBA games on the service when the system is still selling in a steady trickle and is hardly "retro". Not to mention the extensive localization it would require, which would be unprecedented in a VC release, an effort they weren't willing to put in when the GBA market was still on fire (none of the recent VC releases that were previously released in the American store required nearly as much localization effort, most were puzzle/action games with very little text and Sin and Punishment's Japanese release had English voice overs anyway). Maybe it's my inner kicked puppy talking, but I'm putting my faith in the fan translation, which is looking excellent.

Levitas

the moon
lol, whether or not Nintendo's a part of it, we shall have our mother games in their english glory.

Someone should do a thing for lucas like what I did for the Ness boards. By that, I mean make and be prepared to update a lucas video thread.

Top Bottom