• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

With all of this hype about toon link, link's improvements have been overshadowed.

Boolossus

Smash Ace
The new Link is really great. He hasn't become any slower than he was in melee, and when you consider that the entire game itself has become slower, that actually makes link faster than he was in melee in comparison to the rest of the cast.

Specials: His bow seems alot more spammable, because it can be cancelled. His spin attack still rocks, although it doesn't really spike anymore. Boomerang is a little wierd, although I can see some really great combo potential for it when it returns to Link, because it sucks the opponent in. Bombs are CRAZY. They can actually kill opponents now!

Ground attacks: Utilt still rules, and Usmash is alot easier to hit and kill with. Down tilt and down smash don't seem to have changed much. Ftilt and Fsmash have INSANE range and knockback. Neutral A can't be done rapidly anymore, which is a bummer.

Aerials: Nair is still great, which is good because most other characters have had their Nair nerfed. It can be used to jump off the stage and edgeguard well. Bair has a weird hitbox to me, but it's a good edgeguarding move and can work well in combos. Fair has the same start-up lag, but has better range, and alot of knockback, especially on the second hit. Uair and Dair are still great kill moves, but can't be L-cancelled so you have to be more careful when using them.

Grabs: Well, you can use the clawshot in a short hop as an attack without landing lag, and it can hit twice, dealing 8 percent damage. I haven't tried many throwns besides down throw, which is an amazing combo starter. It can lead into Usmash, Fsmash, Utilt, Ftilt, or Bair.

His recovery is kind of bad to be honest. His sweetspot is pretty small, and his spin attack doesn't take him very far. The clawshot doesn't get nearly as much distance as most other tether recoveries do, which is a shame. But overall Link is a really great character in this game, and I hope to see him do well.

LegendofLink

Smash Apprentice
I agree, the only reason that everyone says that Toon Link is better is because he has replaced Link's former position of the easy to pick up character. Link now takes a lot more skill to use than before.

Skler

Smash Master
The dthrow is not an amazing combo starter, with proper DI you can't combo out of it (maybe at 0, but they might be able to airdodge through the next attack then). Link can't even combo except at VERY specific %s doing utilt into another utilt/usmash. You can airdodge through the utilt "combo" at low %s and at medium %s it knocks them too far away.

Stop making threads about Link being so great.

Renufus

Smash Apprentice
I agree, the only reason that everyone says that Toon Link is better is because he has replaced Link's former position of the easy to pick up character. Link now takes a lot more skill to use than before.
Well, yes and no. Anyone can pick up a TL and look like a pro. But the real pros can also pick up a TL and make him a top tier character. His aerial game is one of the best, if not THE best, in the entire game, and he basically takes all the good stuff about Link (disjointed hitboxes, projectiles aplenty, and powerful smash attacks) and combines them with some goodies of his own, like floatiness, MUCH stronger recovery abilities, and less lag on the majority of his attacks.

I have a feeling we're going to be seeing a lot of Toon Links placing high in tournaments within the next 6 months. Links will probably place somewhere in the middle of the pack as they always have. Link's weak recovery and laggy attacks serve as something of a glass ceiling, which, while nothing new, is a shame as the poor guy's been due for some love since SSB64.

Boolossus

Smash Ace
The dthrow is not an amazing combo starter, with proper DI you can't combo out of it (maybe at 0, but they might be able to airdodge through the next attack then). Link can't even combo except at VERY specific %s doing utilt into another utilt/usmash. You can airdodge through the utilt "combo" at low %s and at medium %s it knocks them too far away.

Stop making threads about Link being so great.
This would be one thread I made about improvements with Link. I never said he was so great.

I was wrong guys. Gosh, Link can't combo at all. His throws are useless. He's by far the worst character in the game. I'm sorry for making this thread, I'm totally wrong. How could I have possibly thought that Link was any good at all? I'm just a silly Zelda fanboy who loves Link so much that I decided to make a thread praising how cool and ub3r he is. I'm such a noob for pointing out a character's strong points, I should just go throw my Wii away and go die in a hole.

Eten

Smash Ace
NO. Don't you get it? STOP MAKING THREADS ABOUT HOW GREAT LINK IS!!!

=P I'm not serious.

Link forums aren't exactly super-active. I'm hoping some of you link-lovers will put some gas into link's meta-game. Time to show us your moves! I think link has great potential, need the players/discussion to find it and turn it into something real.

Skler

Smash Master
This would be one thread I made about improvements with Link. I never said he was so great.

I was wrong guys. Gosh, Link can't combo at all. His throws are useless. He's by far the worst character in the game. I'm sorry for making this thread, I'm totally wrong. How could I have possibly thought that Link was any good at all? I'm just a silly Zelda fanboy who loves Link so much that I decided to make a thread praising how cool and ub3r he is. I'm such a noob for pointing out a character's strong points, I should just go throw my Wii away and go die in a hole.
I wasn't talking to you specifically, this board has had about 10000 threads of people saying Link is amazing.

There's a thread called "Link Pwns. End of Story" and before that there were threads like "Link is a beast in Brawl" and "Link owns in Brawl". I wouldn't mind these threads if they had legitimate arguments as to why Link is good in Brawl, but none of them do.

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
Toon Link is way better than Link. He's twice as fast, recovery is twice as good, he's just as powerful, and he can combo about five times better. It's really no contest, Toon Link is broken compared to his adult self. Regular Link is average, just like his Melee counterpart. But play him and love him if you want-- hell, I still play a lot of Ganondorf and look what happened to HIM in the transition. He's trash now but I love him anyway. But there's no reason to pretend that a character is better than they are.

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
*sigh*

Okay, fine.

Link sucks. Happy?

Personally I loved him in Melee. Sure, he probably wasn't (Or ever will be, THANK YOU SAKURAI...) tournement material, but he was a character that many of us loved from his game, thought he was bad-*** and did our best to fight with him. Yeah, Foxes, Falcos, Marths, ect would **** Link from left to right, but apparently as I've seen so far, Speed = Win in Smash Bros. Sucks, I know, but it happens.

But can't you naysayers give us Link lovers our day in the sun for once? I'm sure deep down we all know he doesn't stand a chance, I know that, you know that, and anyone who tourneys knows that, but Din dammit all, I'd like to be able to brag about Link for once.

And personally, I'd like Toon Link a whole hell of a lot more if everyone wasn't tier-whoring him out like the Brawl Jesus or something...Ugh.

Renufus

Smash Apprentice
Personally I loved him in Melee. Sure, he probably wasn't (Or ever will be, THANK YOU SAKURAI...) tournement material, but he was a character that many of us loved from his game, thought he was bad-*** and did our best to fight with him. Yeah, Foxes, Falcos, Marths, ect would **** Link from left to right, but apparently as I've seen so far, Speed = Win in Smash Bros. Sucks, I know, but it happens.
Speed isn't everything in Smash Bros. It only seems that way because the spacies have been dominating everyone since SSB64. Sonic and the current Captain Falcon are the two fastest players in this game and the former probably won't fare any better than Link in tournament settings and the latter just flat out sucks.

I think it's the combination of speed and priority that kills in this game. Sheik got a lot of her priority and knockback taken away since melee and as a result is shaping up to look like another middle-tier lurker. Ah, how the mighty have fallen.

mishra

Smash Rookie
i was a link mainer on melee, but i just haven't been able to get into him on brawl. I keep reading that he is better, and it seems like he is, but i always do god awful with him now. of course, i really wasn't that good to begin with... and i can't seem to escape the new characters. Once i get the hang of my new guys, i plan on revisiting link.

WR3K

Smash Ace
aurashade no offense, your a good poster and everything but i see you discouraging alot of threads and discussion.

yea, **** gets old, but it will never stop and this IS on of the only prominant comparison threads imho and i think discussion should go on at a normal pace.

but actually, it IS kindof old, it has been said time and time again, it all comes down to the playstlye you like better- floaty and swipey, or hefty and swingey (actual terms used by pros btw :))

KratosAurion192

Smash Ace
See... it took a lot more work to learn how to use Y.Link in Melee, but he WAS better. Being a devoted floater between the two I know....
This time around Ylink's (Toon Link) strengthes are all right out there from the day the game came out, as opposed to way after the last teir list came out and people decided to work at making y.link good.

Link was nerfed, not a lot but he was, and everyone else wasn't nerfed enough to make him good.

I still float between them, and Link still falls a bit short, at least for now.

Besides Toon Link doesn't fall as hard into the camping game as Link does, which is really annoying to anyone that plays...

EDIT: TL is better, it doesn't really matter in the long run. Don't dis Lightshade for you ****tards not looking through the threads first.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Toon Link dojo update has got me thinking...

After seeing today's update of Toon Link on the smashbros dojo website. It just seems like Toon Link has alot more going for him than Link. He attacks faster, runs faster, its easier to hit with his final smash, his bombs have twice the explosion of Link's bombs. I think Brawl Link should attack faster, it would make more sense, a strong man will always swing a sword faster than a strong boy. If they are going to make Link like that, they might as well give him the KO power of Ike. But they made his KO power only average. You cant only throw projectiles most people will learn how to avoid it. Link needs more options than that. Thats why I think Link would be low tier. But I dont care I would still play him. Anyways, after seeing that update I think I will give Toon Link a try... Ive been ignoring him.

Top Bottom