• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wire boost recovery spike/attack?

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
I remembered this from a while ago. I wasn't on smash boards at the time, so I never mentioned it.

Basically, it's an alternative recovery that could get some damage in on your opponent while they try to edge guard you, or even spike them, all while recovering.

We all know that recovering low for Zamus should be a last resort, since her recovery options are limited there. But should you get there and still have a jump left, you can easily recover by jumping to the edge with her massive jump, or tethering. But this is an interesting (and possibly risky) alternative.

When below the stage, if you DI slightly under it, you can use the up-b w/jump boost to actually do the wire attack instead of tethering (only works with solid stages, as in the opposite of stages that Tether Bouncing/Phasing works on). By doing this while DIing outwards, you can hit your opponent while using the boost to recover, and grab the edge. As you likely know, if you catch your opponent in the full wire attack, (all three hits) and you are DIing horizontally, then you will actually carry them with you in that direction. So if they are close enough to the edge, then you might get them off over the stage before the spike hit kicks in. :p

There's always the chance you will only hit with one hit, but this has that bit of hitstun, so it will help prevent edge hogging/guarding anyways. If it misses altogether, and the opponent goes for a close-range edge guard/hog, then one of a few things could happen:

1. They could get hit anyway (they are walking right into the whip =P).

2. They could gimp you if they have a decently ranged attack that can reach you, in which case you can just tether the edge.

3. If your opponent tries to edge hog you too soon, they will lose the invincibility and get hit/spiked.

4. If they edge hog so the whip hits invincibility frames, then you've boosted up, and can attack them with B/N/F/Uair, possibly stage spiking them.

5. If you miss them with the attack, and they edge hog just in time to catch your aerial with invincibility frames, you fall to your death unless you have DownB intact or you manage one of them Up-B spike > footstool miracles we all love. =P

In they end, only the last one uberly fails. Everything else allows you to recover, and damages your opponent. It's still a risk, but this is useful to have up your sleeve as a surprise attack. Keep in mind that this should be distanced correctly, because if you do it from too high, you'll poke up above the ledge a bit, which is never a good thing, especially if you miss your opponent with the wire.

Also, something else I've noticed... sometimes, being under the stage will initiate the tether-grab animation, but then cancel it because the stage is in the way, while still giving you the jump and boost. I can't replicate this at will*; it seems to happen randomly when you do this enough. it probably has to do with placement, and if it could be controlled, could be used as a mindgame for once (if) people start getting accustomed to us doing this, and get an aerial in as you shoot up. Otherwise, it just kind of nerfs it by removing the attack all together, though without the attack animations, you can just grab the edge without risk of popping up above it.

So what do you think? Possible applications? yes, no? I'm sure someone other than me has found this before, especially considering it can be found while experimenting in the same way I experimented and found the Tether Bouncing/phasing, and I know Neph already had known about that.

EDIT: *That's a lie. I've been able to replicate it intentionally on Smashville by DIing further under the stage, but not consistently; It just does the boosted attack sometimes. But I've figured out that it does involve placement under the stage.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
It's just more like common sense stuff, never was really old because it's mostly untuitive. I do appreciate people looking to expand our Mg though. The part about where the wire almost grabs the ledge is interesting information but I can't really think of any potential uses.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
I figured it's be something people had seen, but I'm just bringing it up just incase, maybe get some feedback on usages, etc.

noradseven

Smash Lord
It's just more like common sense stuff, never was really old because it's mostly untuitive. I do appreciate people looking to expand our Mg though. The part about where the wire almost grabs the ledge is interesting information but I can't really think of any potential uses.
I don't think much more can be added to ZSS's metagame or for the most part, the majority of the characters, in brawl the last thing that had any potential to crack the game a bit was the headtap stuff, and that kinda fell though, except for the easy infinite on Rob.

Some of the other low tier characters, could use some more work, looks at Link, glances at Yoshi, speaking of which I think sheik could use a bit more too, the players seem too caught up in f-tilt locks rather than actually player her well.

noradseven

Smash Lord
I don't think we're done with meta advancement yet, look at what the Sheik boards just found today o.O

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=234716&page=3
Uhhh you mean they didn't already apply that I mean I thought it was obvious, also its not an infinite its a loop eventually b-air moves them too far away, it must also be started at low damages otherwise b-air will not be degraded enough, but yeah alot of characters can do stuff like this, Ike's is lol, jab jab jump head tap, I wonder if you have enough time to do anything besides neutral air or back air.

I caught this p. shortly after we did that whole stun thing, yeah its p. funny but its not as pratical as you would think, but it is good.

The main reason why it has difficulty working is when the MK smash DI's away from you during the b-air.

But this does work on the whole cast mind you.

Normally with the DI it just means you will not be able to kill with the move but you can get a guaranteed 60%ish damage, which is p. nice.

Nefarious B

Smash Champion
Well their boards are saying Meta in particular has a difficult time getting out of it, I'm not sure why he would (SDI is SDI), but I think it has to do with his shortness giving him more fall time. Let's say they land an ftilt at 0%, they have a lock on meta until 40ish normally, before he can SDI out. At around 37% they can begin their new footstool bair ftilt lock until Meta is in kill range of a tippered Usmash kill at around 80-85%.

So if it all works like they say they should have a zero to death on meta, regardless of DI.

noradseven

Smash Lord
Well their boards are saying Meta in particular has a difficult time getting out of it, I'm not sure why he would (SDI is SDI), but I think it has to do with his shortness giving him more fall time. Let's say they land an ftilt at 0%, they have a lock on meta until 40ish normally, before he can SDI out. At around 37% they can begin their new footstool bair ftilt lock until Meta is in kill range of a tippered Usmash kill at around 80-85%.

So if it all works like they say they should have a zero to death on meta, regardless of DI.
Yeah but think, you smash DI away when you get hit by the back air, and if they start this at 20-30%, and back air isn't degraded, they are ****ed, however if back air is degraded then yes this is viable, but still it seems important but also situational, I am saying its good and would actually be worth learning mainly because its easy, but I am also saying its not as good as they are making it out to be its also not an infinite its a loop, and yeah I don't see this working on many characters, as far as the zero death part goes, the loop Im sure will work on most the cast.

noradseven

Smash Lord
Heh wireboost off of a headtap is totally pro in doubles you go off the top of the screen in your first jump on most stages.

Top Bottom