• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WIP] dSpecial Video

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
So since Shaya Shaya is back and I have a constant need of recognition by my senpai, I will use this chance to overcome my recent lack of motivation to play smash and make a video about dSpecial in all its glory.
We have a lot of information about both flip jump and kick as movement options, traps, baits, stock sealer and cheapass kills. I want to compile all of it in one video and maybe talk about it with my ****ty German accent instead of writing all over the screen.

Thing is, I only want to do this once (or twice, if it ends up being that bad), so please have a look at my list and write ITT if something is missing.

Flip Jump

properties
-duration
-duration on hit
-invincibility frames
-dSpecial input changes depending on ground or air position
as movement option
-recovery option (including consecutive flip jumps and uSpecial after dSpecial, DO's and DON'T's)
-landing option (and why hitting shields might not be a good idea)
-combo escape option
-surviving killing blows
as offensive option
-bury
-spike

Flip Kick

properties
-duration
-duration on hit
as movement option
-using momentum to travel further
-ledge cancel
-influencing travel distance and momentum with c-Stick
as offensive option
-normal hit properties
-spike properties and how to spike
-combos(nAir true combo, dThrow trap, bThrow cheese, uAir cheese, dSmash stock sealer)
-hype kick 1&2
-as offensive counter

Don't worry, I already started collecting footage, so it's only a matter of months until it's done.

Last edited:

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Flip Jump as an offensive counter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO-jYbYbpi8

The video is a proof of concept setup for it. It's properly demonstrated in the first setup, not so much the second since it was mis-timed. Not shown were the accidental flutter kicks (1 player, 2 controller johns) that I flip kicked through anyways.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Flip Jump as an offensive counter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO-jYbYbpi8

The video is a proof of concept setup for it. It's properly demonstrated in the first setup, not so much the second since it was mis-timed. Not shown were the accidental flutter kicks (1 player, 2 controller johns) that I flip kicked through anyways.
さすが Tuen

ampatron

Smash Rookie
NNID
ampatron
How about flip kick combos after dsmash to meteor people off stage, or after uair as an air dodge read?

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
How about flip kick combos after dsmash to meteor people off stage, or after uair as an air dodge read?
How could I forget dSmash > flip kick
it's my favourite goddamn combo and my second most used stock sealer
thanks.
uAir airdodge read is basically the same as dThrow airdodge read, but I guess I can show it off as well.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
"Combo Escape Option" probably could be dedicated to what Flip Jump kills in terms of enemy capabilities.
Example: A friend of mine with two controllers tested out (at least on BF, rage may change things too) that ZSS DI away (not up or down away) can flip jump to avoid checkmate/down throw up air basically forever (and most definitely at kill percent).

I know Mario's down throw up tilt at 0% can be flip jumped after the first up tilt but not subsequent ones.

For recovery you should probably bring up the positions at which you should be flip jumping.
Many a newb ZSS (and it's the fault of their opponent's not knowing [fairly, it's quite difficult] how to punish poor flip jumps) will flip jump in spots that will get them killed, or can easily fall into the habit of flip jumping in similar spots which aren't safe.
Using the invincibility to time moving through opponents as such that lingering hitboxes will not clip you is an important skill (i.e. "how to avoid being bouncing fished with flip jump~")

How to optimize usage without getting the bury footstool is the means at which this move scales stupendously in terms of safety.

Last edited:

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Example: A friend of mine with two controllers tested out (at least on BF, rage may change things too) that ZSS DI away (not up or down away) can flip jump to avoid checkmate/down throw up air basically forever (and most definitely at kill percent).
Against what character? Because after a certain percentage treshold the difference between airdodge and doing a move is so huge that this can't possibly be true.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Just finished recording all the replays I've made so far since they will be mashed potatoes on Thursday.
They will be heavily cut down, but over 2h raw footage and over 36gb doesn't sound too bad for a start.

Top Bottom