• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(Winter) Warehouse Throwdown: 2 - $75 Melee... - November 23rd, 2013 - St. Joseph/St. Cloud, MN

Tuggieman

Smash Rookie
One last question before I get everything set for the tourny. Any preference to what tv I bring? I can bring a CRT or a flat screen

Tuggieman

Smash Rookie
It was fun watching the melee tournament and I am glad I was there. never been to a legit tournament like that before and it really opened my eyes to how the smash society is really like. Here I am with less than a year of experience and everyone there has 5+ years under their belt. I never been crushed and defeated so badly since UMVC3. I realize that I need to practice for years to get as good as these guys, but I am a little too late to hop on that band wagon. I am 22, have a job, go to college and working on my career to be a teacher. I don't have have the time to constantly train like everyone else does. And that is what depressed me that night at the tourny, realizing that I can't stop my life to practice for any tournaments.

I am glad I went, but at the same time, wish I didn't. Because now I can't play smash bros anymore. I can't see it as a party game, and can't practice to be good at it as a competitive game. I enjoyed the smash games since I was a kid, but now its time for me to grow up and move on to what is really important. As of last night after being crushed in the first match, I am quitting smash bros.

Thank you Bayless for hosting the tournament in MN, thank you RRR for showing that a Kirby can still smash it with space animals, thank you Slayer for keeping the dream alive with the Knee in the loser finals, and thank you to that brawl player that kept counter picking every character I played... **** move, but well played...

Mundungu

Smash Lord
Ggs everyone, this was a fun tourney. It was awesome seeing so many new players there.

@Tuggieman sorry you feel that way. I really hope this isn't the opinion of a lot of the new players at this tournament.

You don't have to commit a ton of time to learn the game, at least not as much as you think. I actually think starting the game late is an advantage. All the new players that have started playing in the last 2 years or so have gotten good really fast, since they have a jump on the metagame. I played a good marth that has only been playing for 3 months who got 9th at this thing (Alex). It isn't impossible to start playing now.

Starreaver1

Smash Apprentice
I have been PLAYING competitively (ie going to events and playing with competitive players) for 3 months. I learned basic tech skill a while ago and followed the scene for a bit, but I don't think that 4 stocking casual friends counts as competitive smash. Almost everything I've learned metagame-wise was in the past 3 months.
Also Mundungu you're a ton of fun to play with, grats on 4th and I hope we can get some more games in next time!
Knoxvader do I know you? I don't believe that I've met anyone with your tag, sorry if it's just my bad memory ^^

knoxvader

Smash Cadet
I was told you had been to at least one RoM, if not more... so I would assume you've been playing for longer. I do think that if you're 4-stocking casuals and practicing tech skill, that that is competitive. Casuals do not practice tech, competitive people do.

Anyway, no, you don't know me, but I know you. My tag is KV.

Starreaver1

Smash Apprentice
I went to ROM2 around the time that I learned tech skill. And I would say that some casuals do learn tech skill as I have friends that can wavedash and etc but have absolutely no concept of the competitive metagame. That's the kind of player I was four years ago. I could say a lot more about this but basically I've been lurking for a few years but just started playing (vs "competitive" people) recently. And I haven't practiced tech skill in years since I don't own a setup. You can interpret that however you like but I don't think I can equate going to fests/playing with pros with four stocking people that don't even know that a metagame exists. There's no competitiveness in that. I dunno it's weird. I have a lot of general smash background but very little experience playing in the scene. ROM was my only firsthand experience with the scene until three months ago.
Nice to meet you KV. I'm Alex and I play blue Marth.

Edit: in response to Mundungu, there are really players that have just started playing who unlike me have no prior background. 33: Loring has been in the scene for less than a month, and 25: Hepa tight ass G has been around for about four months. So it's definitely never too late to start.

knoxvader

Smash Cadet
Gotcha. I also have been lurking around, as I started playing again with my friends in 2011, but I also didn't own a setup (until a few weeks ago). Equally, I just started playing v. Bryce and going to Randall's. So, I have a good amount of Smash background, too, but it's mostly in Smash 64.

I'm Caleb, I just switched from Marth/Sheik to Falcon.

Starreaver1

Smash Apprentice
Ohhhh yeah I've seen you on the FB group. I play Falcon a lot in friendlies but I'm so awful with him lol. Marth just fits my playstyle more :)
I was about to make a joke about reavers and lurkers but I feel like that would just be lost. Shoutouts to anyone that's played Brood War.

Tuggieman

Smash Rookie
Well I can pick up the game again if I have people to play with. but for now, I am taking a break for a week or so. Losing so easily in the first match gave me bad feels all around and I need time to get over it. even now I still feel the saltiness from that shameful defeat.

If anyone is near by to smash it with me I live in Hutchinson, MN. I will record the matches as well since I have the recording equipment. I want to get better, but I can't unless I have someone good to play against. I will focus on P:M

Top Bottom