• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wind Waker Link's moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnFerris

Smash Journeyman
There should only be one Link in Brawl and it is the TP version of him and that is good enough.
People with this frame of mind have already made their opinions clear. Not only is your reiteration unnecessary, it is conspicuously absent of support. There are Five recurring characters in Zelda Games: Link, Ganon, Zelda, Tingle, and Vaati. Tingle would be incredibly unpopular, and Vaati has only been battled in his giant eye form so far, and is also partially owned by Capcom. I wouldn't mind playing as Skull Kid with Majora's Mask, but he has only been in one game. See what I am saying? The only classic Zelda Characters are Link, Zelda, and Ganon. Legend of Zelda is MArio's only competition for mascot series of Nintendo, so I think it deserves more representation than three characters. Now, since LInk is so versatile, and so many popular versions of him have been around, I think that representing one of the more popular Links (the one that isn't connected to the bloodline) would be a pretty neat idea. Especially if it adds some graphical uniqueness to Smash Bros.

Yes, it is potentially one of the strongest moves, however the time it takes to work is the problem. Which I think, therefore makes it an edge guard tool rather than a combat maneuver. Try using that when your opponent is on land with you, it's going to be interrupted.

The Hurricane Spin is basically an improved IC's Smash B, am I right? It's an OK move, nothing great.

The cannon.....rather see something else, the cast time is too long. THoW has way too many long cast B moves, give him something instantaneous like the Skull Hammer or something from his Portable games, which I've never played.
Yeah, the Cannon was one of my weaker ideas. The only real hook to it is altering it's trajectory. I think that would b fun to use on an out of the way platform. I like including Hurricane Spin, since it is a sword move that will link him to THoT Link. As for a different VB, I haven't played the handheld versions very much, but I can see including the gust Jar, which sucks air and items in, and then spits them back out. I could also see that working as an item. The Skull Hammer is another good idea, but it should have an additional effect other than just damaging people. Maybe it would bury characters in the ground like DK's headbutt?

Captain_Obvious

Smash Journeyman
There should only be one Link in Brawl and it is the TP version of him and that is good enough.
The thing that's wrong with this comment (and those like it) is that there's no real reason behind it. Some of us are excited about the Hero of Winds getting into SSBB, and have created movesets and reasons why he should be in. Saying, "no, multiple Links would be ghey" or "why isn't one Link enough" is really not doing anything useful. You're inciting no discussion, you're filling our thread with flaming, and you're actually keeping this thread going on longer.

If you really don't like the idea of WW Link in Brawl, then you can do your part to kill the thread by NOT POSTING. When you don't post in a thread, it goes away.

So please, keep your negative comments to yourself, especially if they've been repeatedly made by others.

Thank you.

- Captain R.D. Obvious

P.S. (I definitely support the Hero of Winds being in Brawl. I think that, like Link's sword-spin in Melee, that it should fire a pulse of wind (no stun but pushes them back) on the ground and when used in the air, Link should fly up into the air as if propelled by an updraft, and then drift slowly down until his leaf gives out. Grappling hook is also a great idea, though climbing it would be too slow on recovery. Perhaps you could hit the edge, swing into the wall and then walljump off of it into your up-B?)

Eaode

Smash Champion
Yes, of course. I make an actual POINT, and no one adresses it. But everyone flocks to dweller's unsupported opinions. You complain about him not backing it up? Look at MY post then.

If you want to whine about unsupported opinions, don't ignore the ones that have been backed up.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Yes, of course. I make an actual POINT, and no one adresses it. But everyone flocks to dweller's unsupported opinions. You complain about him not backing it up? Look at MY post then.

If you want to whine about unsupported opinions, don't ignore the ones that have been backed up.
So far, this is the most intelligent post in this thread I have seen. The only people who want 5 Links are stupid fanboys who want to ruin a great game by overloading it with a bunch of stupid versions of one character. We should just change the name to The Legend of Super Smash Bros or Super Link Bros Brawl. Seriously though, you say there are no good reasons who shouldn't be in but I've yet to see one good reason he should be in. Original Moveset wow! Every character in Nintendo history can have an original moveset this doesn't grant them a spot in brawl. Characters like Dr. Mario and Young Link were there just to fill the roster because of time restrictions and they will make up for that mistake in brawl. They were probabbly not even planned and just placed in because they already had character models to use (Mario and Link). Proof of this is Pichu. Do you honestly think he was planned? You can flame and neg rep me all you want but my point remains valid and none of you can think of something that is better than my argument. As for representation, they have 5 out of 26 characters that is almost 1/4 of all characters in the game. The next game is going to be more original trust that.

GenG

Smash Lord
So far I haven't seen any good point to why he should be out. He has high chances actually.

BIRDMAN22

Smash Journeyman
I'm confused about the whole celda issue. I know who he is but what is so special about him that warrants an appearance in brawl. I've seen people state that as long as celda link replaces y.link they will be happy. It's just a different coloring of the same character who already doesn't need to be there. As Eaode stated, the possiblity of an original moveset doesn't justify an inclusion in smash. Especially when there is already one form of the same character in the game. The development time good be used for another character that has yet to be included in smash.

Every character only needs one representation. I'm not hypocritical about this so I will state that I am against Doc's inclusion,or any other mario, just as much as any other link. I will also be against Zamus if she IS NOT a transformation like sheik. If the allow y.link and adult link to transform back and forth by use of an ocarina(or anything else) that would be fine.

The man reason I'm against this is because the two characters (regardless of moveset) can't be that different. They use a good amount of the same weapons, they fight almost identically, but most of all they are the same character at different ages. Yes they have a few weapons that are different depending on age but it's not enough. I like racoon mario but I know he shouldn't be in brawl. Just my two cents

Eaode and Uncle Kenny, +rep to both of you

IKillCauseOfVGs

Smash Cadet
First off, Uncle Kenny, how do you know that clones were put in just because they had to fill a roster? Did you bother to think that maybe clones of popular characters were put in so that fans of that character could have a little more choice in their character selection? Mario is a great character so why stop at one? Clones are a great way of varying game play. Two characters with the same move set that play differently, why, it's a fans dream come true.

Also, it's not fair for you to say that all the people who want more than one Link are stupid fan boys. No one even said that they'd like to see five links in Brawl, they were merely commenting on how versatile Link was. You could make five different move sets for any character but they are still the same character right? Not true for Link. The Legend of Zelda series doesn't revolve around one Link. There's the Hero of Time both young and old and also the Hero of the Winds. The two are different, their titles should be enough evidence of that. Just because they both have the Triforce of Courage doesn't mean they're the same person. They fight differently, act differently and live in different worlds. One of them rides a horse, one of them rides a talking boat. One of them controls time, the other controls wind. There is an entire ocean between their worlds. They are not the same.

And as a final note, five is not almost a quarter of 26. Five is actually almost a fifth of 26. If you're going to call someone stupid, learn your god **** times tables.

Neo M.J

Smash Apprentice
Wow, why all the hate:urg: ? I think he desrves a spot, as hes totally diffrent from adul link. Oh, did anyone think about his parry as a counter attack, kinda like marths counter?

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
..Celda is Link cell shaded. I mean do we need a another Link? If so leave Y. Link and luigified him it's not that difficult. I mean Luigi is way different than Mario than he was in SSB64, in SSB64 he was almost a clone of Mario with a few extra moves. Y. Link can be luigified. Celda is a waste and plus..how can you fit a Cell-shaded character? Make the whole game cell-shaded?

IKillCauseOfVGs

Smash Cadet
I do agree that putting a cel shaded character into a game with the kind of graphics the Wii's gonna be usin will be tough. But if worse comes to worst they could just use a regular young link model and say he's the Hero of the Wind. And the parry thing's a cool idea.

Eaode

Smash Champion
don't get into the whole "They're different people, blah blah blah"

The Legend of Zelda games do not make sequels (Aside from Majora's mask and Phantom Hourglass), They simply retell the story as if the previous games never happenned. By what you're saying, if it were aranged, OoT link and WW link could make a meeting and Bring Zelda and Tetra with them and have a little tea party.

GenG

Smash Lord
Flatzone in Melee was intended to convert all character mves into single-frame style, you can read this in the webpage. So what about a cell shaded stage (like Ocean for example) to make all characters cell shaded (not deformed, only with the cell shaded shadow style)?

Luigify Y Link? Link WW is a NEW character, not a clone nor semiclone, I picture him with different A moves and B moves based on his games which isn't only WW but all Zeldas not repped by the former Link; That one only reppes Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess and that's simply not fair, what about Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, the Oracles, Wind Waker, Minish Cap...? Overshadowed titles with a different setup and mood, and can't be repped by adult Link.

He has his OWN SWORD (the Four Sword) and a lot of moves like the roc's cape, the mole mitts, the gust jar, the ol'slingshot, the seed gun (Oracle), pegasus boots, the deku leaf, the pacci cane, the hammer, Ezlo... He has the "mood", the goofyness, an interesting graphic style... It's a character that holds a lot of water Smash-wise, people wants him, it's interesting, funny, different, from a major franchise. Not a clone or a luigified Y Link, and this is very important. WW Link should be a new character of his own.

Not even Paper Mario should be in, this Link have a totally different setup, with a different playstyle from Link, Marth and the others.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Please. Link is versatile so he deserves different versions of himself to fill the roster? I can think up just as many moves for Mario (example FLUDD) and Paper Mario is a different Mario altogether should we add him? Versatile or not it will still be Link. If anything just luigify Young Link (although I want him taken out) and forget adding another one. I hate the idea that there are characters in Melee wasting space when they are just a variation of another character. Oh and do you need proof they had time restrictions? Look at Ganon. God help me I didn't do a math problem right. Fine its 1/5 but that is still alot, I mean look at DK. He only has 1/26 of the representation.

Edit: Link represents ALL LoZ games! Do we need representation of Paper Mario? No. But he does have different moves with his hammer and badges so don't give me that B/S.

GenG

Smash Lord
Mario is representing Mario. All Mario games have the same "kiddie" setup. But, in this case, there are two Zeldas, the jolly ones and the dark ones. The series is split in two, and you can't stick with one. Wind Waker is canon now and you can't simply forfeit that, but it went for "minor" and portable titles that couldn't be done by the mature one. This is a bit farfetched, but unlike most Nintendo franchises, Zelda is split in two, and if you ask me, cutting the other one is like underrepping the franchise as a whole.

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
..Actually the Four Sword Link is not WW Link..it'a another Link too. WW Link..still wields the master Sword no?..So he is just another Link. Y. Link can hold the..Great Fairy Sword or the sword from MM. He can also have his Mirror shield, light arrows and some other things. WW Link...is waste of space and besides..Gannondof is the same Gannondorf from OoT.

IKillCauseOfVGs

Smash Cadet
I don't think any of us want a new link added, we just want Young Link to be changed into Celda so there is representation to each side of the zelda series, like Gen said.

Of course the Hero of Time and Hero of the Winds are different. In WW it even says that the Hero of Time existed, there are legends telling of his heroic deeds. I don't think any of us ever said that all of the Legend of Zelda's are one continuing story line, we were just saying that the character is the same. If you look on Y. Link's trophy, he was the hero in titles other than Ocarina of Time, same with Adult Link.

Wind Waker link was not in any other games. He is not the Link that is known the Hero of Time. He is just a boy who's ben told stories about him. Wind Waker Link didn't live at the same time as him, he wasn't a descendant or just another incarnation of the same hero.

I don't get what about that is so hard to get. Tell my why you think they are the same person, and maybe I'll accept that as the truth.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Samus has let's see ..............

oh yeah, about NINE different beam weapons, and uh let's see........

......... about 7 different suits. And oh wait...........

Then there's the Morph ball, morph ball bomb, super bomb, boost ball, spider ball, the Super dash, super missile, Ice blast, Super wave-whatever, sonic boom, Dark burst, light burst, and all other missile/beam combos. And almost ALL of these things are NOT used By Samus in Melee. Should we have multiple versions of Suited samus (Zero suit samus is completely different, all of samus's moves revolve around her suit, Links attacks don't revolve around his art style do they? And she could still be a transformation anyway.) Do you really want tons of Samus's flooding Brawl??

If you MUST have another link, at least make it more original than link using different items. Have goron link, Zora link, or Deku link, That'd be interesting. Maybe FD link. Those would be actually different, on par with Zamus.

Soi why do you insist on anoter version of HUMAN link!!?? Wouldn't you rather have Deku link? Zora Link? Goron link? Fierce Deity? I wouldn't mind that as much.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
If what you say is true GenG then Wario should have one of himselves represent WarioWare and another represent Wario Adventure games. And don't tell me that isn't two franchises, they are completely seperate.

P.S. To those of you taking my posts offensively, I am not flaming I just don't approve of this idea.

IKillCauseOfVGs

Smash Cadet
You make a good point sayin wario is two different game styles like Zelda, but it's different with wario. Wario is always the same character, the only difference is what he's doing. He's either playin minigames or he's doin adventurey stuff. His character stays the same (to my knowledge at least, haven't played much wario games).

Legend of Zelda shows two sides of link. The cel shaded side is fun and naive sort of, the attributes of a child. He laughs he cries he screams when his butt's on fire. The other side of link is darker and deals with more serious stuff. The all around feel of the games is different. For example: WW was a cute fun Zelda game. TP, through the use of shadow and such, is darker, portrays Link in a more real sense, not just as a fun little fantasy style hero. His wolf form is all black, a dark color representing the darker side of link.

This may sound like complete bull**** and I accept that but it makes sense to me. Feel free to correct me if you want.

And also, Luigi wasn't really needed, lots of the characters weren't, but they put them in because fans loved them, and loved to get a chance to be them.

GenG

Smash Lord
..Actually the Four Sword Link is not WW Link..it'a another Link too. WW Link..still wields the master Sword no?..So he is just another Link. Y. Link can hold the..Great Fairy Sword or the sword from MM. He can also have his Mirror shield, light arrows and some other things. WW Link...is waste of space and besides..Gannondof is the same Gannondorf from OoT.
And the point is...? That doesn't matter. Give him the Four Sword (just to don't have the same sword twice in Brawl), and put him some moves. I can't see why WW is a waste and Y. Link not, he is just child OOT Link, but WW Link goes further and has a different setup to add variety to Brawl.

Uncle Kenny said:
f what you say is true GenG then Wario should have one of himselves represent WarioWare and another represent Wario Adventure games. And don't tell me that isn't two franchises, they are completely seperate.
Wario is Wario, and he isn't repping Ware only, but his gaming career (ex. he will have his trademark Shoulder Charge). And Wario has been the same character, with the same goofy mood as ever.

But the Link featured in the trailer is from Twilight Princess. He would be, AS MUCH, repping Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. There was a Majora's Mask representation in Melee though. But in 2002 Wind Waker was released, and that game, you liked it or not, became part of the Zelda franchise. You have to deal with that, that Wind Waker will be getting representation in Brawl somehow (maybe a stage). But, WW Link can do things that the other Link can't. I'm not talking only about movesets and gimmicks. I'm saying that the WW is more expressive, quirky, he laughs, screams, I can see me having a blast of fun playing with a guy that fights you in a "funny" way, while TP Link is more serious and cool blooded. It's a whole different character, YET he can rep all games that TP Link can't with moves and weapons.

Metroid Prime games are going to be repped in many ways too, you have Samus suit for example, now updated, but Samus covers all her games. Heck, Metroid Prime is considered the revival title in the franchise. Dark and Light beam are a once-in-a-lifetime weapons (Metroid Prime 2 may get a stage), but a recurring weapon like the slingshot in Zelda games? The hammer? Outset Island? A more colourful setup maybe? TP Link can't, Twilight Princess is the first Zelda game to get a T rate.

And I don't know your definition of "b000ring". Bring a more creative point and I'll think about his exclusion. Stupid? G&W is too and it's a blast of a character. I don't want "omg cool manga" characters only in a crossover game like Brawl.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Wario from his adventure games is evil and ruthless, smashing all who stand in his way. The Wario of Ware is...... well just stupid. Two lifestyles right there. Treasure Hunter and Game Creator. You can't make me sound wrong. Even in Super Mario 64 DS he was different because he was helping Mario as opposed to fighting him like in Super Mario Land 2.

P.S. I'm just saying two Links are good enough and whatever two they are doesn't matter to me. But this argument has been taken to a higher level than just character disscussion obviously.

Eaode

Smash Champion
First of all, Samus is a woman, second of all, if you choose to disregard the dark, light, and annhialator beams, you still have a hell of a lot of recurring weapons. power suit, varia suit, and gravity suit are in pretty much every game. as are power, wave, ice and plasma beams. as is the grapple beam. The Deku leaf was a once-in-a-lifetime item, as were the mole mitts, and the gust jar.

GenG

Smash Lord
Don't get carried by his Ware suit, It's only a makeup. In many of his minigames he is powerful and über (based on his Land titles), and he makes crappy and cheap games to make fast money. That's evil and ruthless!

Wario isn't only a fart machine. Of course he is gross, but he is powerful too. Sakurai wanted Wario in SSBM and he knows he doesn't relies only in lol farts.

First of all, Samus is a woman, second of all, if you choose to disregard the dark, light, and annhialator beams, you still have a hell of a lot of recurring weapons. power suit, varia suit, and gravity suit are in pretty much every game. as are power, wave, ice and plasma beams. as is the grapple beam. The Deku leaf was a once-in-a-lifetime item, as were the mole mitts, and the gust jar.
Ok, I got the idea. But while Wind Waker was a mainstream title, Echoes wasn't. But that's not all. Link WW isn't only a second Link to put all the fruity gimmicks, it's a character of his own, with a different mood and setup.
Samus has all suits in Melee to choose from (and expect some more in Brawl). Samus weapons in 2D games are stockable with the possibility to deactivate them if you want. Light and Dark beams don't have any use in Smash (ok, ok, Ganon is DARK, so what? :laugh: ) other that average shooting and neat effects. You can't let Samus standart beams to go through walls in a fighting game, that would be broken. But the Deku Leaf is an interesting way to make a return, ala Peach umbrella, as well using it as a weapon on ground.

IKillCauseOfVGs

Smash Cadet
That's exactly our point. Samus is always the same ruthless bounty hunter she's always been. She gets new weapons but is always just Samus. Link has two sides, a dark and a light. Yin and yang sort of. Two sides that are opposite and yet coexist perfectly. Two sides of link, one side of samus (not counting the Zero Suit Samus, that's a physical change.)

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
I still don't get where this argument is going. Are you trying to state two lifestyles because if so just check out my post again. Just admit that WW Link is the same person as TP Link and I want argue anymore. Titles don't count because Mario (Jumpman, Mr. Nintendo, The Great Gonzales) and Samus (the hatchling, the hunter) as opposed to Link (hero of time, hero of winds). And if we are talking yin yang what of Wario, personality is the same but he is constantly switching sides.

IKillCauseOfVGs

Smash Cadet
Celda isn't a younger form of the TP Link. You said so yourself there were no sequals where age was a physical change but Majora's Mask. None of the Links are connected except by their being in a series. The only Links with an age difference were Young and Adult link. The rest are different because of their attitudes, personalities and such.

And TP link isn't evil. Just dark. Vincent Valentine is dark, but he's obviously not a bad guy.

And I also don't see this ending any time soon, so I'm just gonna say that I want two Links in Brawl and two only. I want young link replaced with Celda, or at least a move set that reflects that Celda side of him. Whether the two links are different is completely irrelevent to this thread. This is about Young Link move sets, not the inner workings of his soul.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
So what you are saying is there are 20 different Links because of attitudes? It is the same person with a different attitude. That doesn't make it a different person over all.

Edit: So if Mario were to change his personality, he would be a different person from regular Mario? What of Baby Mario and the Adult Mario? Play M&LPIT and tell me they have the same personalities. Does this grant Baby Mario a spot in Brawl?

IKillCauseOfVGs

Smash Cadet
Please read my edited post, and I'm saying they're image is different. If you had to say which was darker of Celda and TP Link you'd probably chose the latter. Attitude is also a part of this but at a basic level. Celda is more childish, TP Link is more adult like. Basic idea of what I'm saying.

Also an Edit: I have not played the games you said, so I'll give you that one. Again. Read the message posted before this one.

GenG

Smash Lord
Link WW is part of the Zelda franchise! He was a mainstream title and got plenty subgames, monopolizing the series on GBA and DS! I don't care about the Zelda timeline, just Link WW is an unique character that had the bad luck to be named after another popular character, but that's all. If you break the "I don't want two Links" wall, all you got is pros over cons, like a different graphic style, a different mood, a different character after all.

Baby Mario isn't childish. He is a hero in Mario & Luigi Partners in Time and behaves like one.

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
So WW Link has no connections to the LoZ series whatsoever? Please, that doesn't make sense. It is like Paper Mario to the regular Mario titles.

IKillCauseOfVGs

Smash Cadet
I posted my message before I read your EDITED POST. I'll take your word that Baby Mario is another character, but like I said before, we are getting nowhere. We'll see if Celda appears in Brawl but there is no point on arguing about his character's attributes and incarnations on a thread about the MOVE SET. I think we should make a new thread to argue this so other people can get back to talking about his move set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom