• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will you use the normal or shocking cape?

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Not mentioning the Gust Cape because I don't know how it works that well yet, sorry.

- Cape -

Pros:
Better Recovery (I think)
Reflects projectiles
Faster

Cons:
Nearly no knockback at all

- Shocking Cape -

Pros:
INTENSE Knockback

Cons:
Little bit slower
I think it's worse for recovery (Irrelavant if you use Dr. Mario because you have Mario Tornado for that)
Doesn't reflect projectiles, just blocks them

---

Personally, i'm leaning towards the shocking cape, I always wanted Mario to have a side B that was an actual KO move, but is the lack of projectile reflection hinder it's greatness? I'd like to hear your guys thoughts, want to know which one I should use.

Last edited:

Nat Goméz

Smash Apprentice
What? I'm going to use my gust cape and my High Pressure FLUUD to screw every recovery. People shut know that Mario's potential to negate recoverys and edgeguard is really strong. If you're going to use Shocking Cape and/or Scalding FLUUD just to rack up damage you will loose a big part of Mario's potential.

Edit: Don't know the gust cape effect? Ok, is the cape just that with a windbox in front of it that sends people away, so even if you fail you will push them a little and if you do it right you will push them farther making it even harder for you're opponents to recover, and still retains its reflection effect with the 1.5x damage of the projectile reflected.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm thinking I'll use the Gust Cape. If they are close, I can still deal damage. But from further away, you can really mess up some recovery.

Here's the Custom Mario Set-Up I might use.

Normal Fireball
Fire Jump Punch
Gust Cape
Scalding FLUDD.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Default/Fast Fireballs
Default/Explosive Jump Punch
Gust Cape
High Pressure FLUDD

This is probably going to be his best setup. Default/Fast Fireballs to deal minimal damage, stuff recoveries, and allow Mario to annoy his opponent from afar. Default will be better as an air-to-ground projectile and does slightly more damage, while Fast Fireballs are a better ground-to-ground which might have less cooldown because of their increased speed.

Default Super Jump Punch if you want recovery and better punishes against airdodges. EJP for better damage during his combos and more useful as a kill move. I have to test and see how well EJP does during combos because you can't adjust the angle of it though.

Gust Cape and HP FLUDD to gimp people, which is probably the best method to KO someone in Smash 4 because of vectoring and large blast zones.

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Ugh guys, I didn't really ask about the Gust Cape, i'm not focusing on that for now. I'm wondering whether the normal or electric cape is better, because I REALLY like the Electric cape, but im worried that it's a bad move.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Electric Cape is probably better, because while it might not reflect projectiles (it nullifies them), it offers you a fairly strong killing move off of the stage that hits in front of him. And on-stage, it can work like a faster (?) Fsmash but with less knockback. Its best use will probably be offstage though, since it gives Mario the option to KO in front of him. Would be a great replacement to Bair if Bair is stale, but won't be able to do anything afterwards/chain like Bair can. Plus I think it has stronger KB than Bair anyways.

Last edited:

Nat Goméz

Smash Apprentice
Ugh guys, I didn't really ask about the Gust Cape, i'm not focusing on that for now. I'm wondering whether the normal or electric cape is better, because I REALLY like the Electric cape, but im worried that it's a bad move.
It isn't a bad move, for edgeguard could do some really nice things, it's always useful to have an aerials as strong as a smash attack (almost)

You could do it to send people of stage and then follow them to finish them with same move. But be aware that KO power isn't exactly Mario's thing in this game, and with that the blastzones are wider so killing is rather hard.

And Gust cape with high pressure FLUUD could give you some useful early kills, but shocking cape still have his uses, maybe like an aerial approach to.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I'm using Gust Cape because it's the epitome of a diabolic version of the cape. I love it. If getting flipped wasn't bad enough you get pushed back too just to add to it. Combine that with High Pressure FLUDD and you have something quite special indeed.

But yeah I'd go with Shocking Cape over Vanilla Cape if you wanted raw power, really.

Last edited:
NNID
JoseOmar
3DS FC
5043-2182-4536
StarLight42, shocking cape isn't worse for recovery it's better and can be used for approaching as well. Search "Mario custom moves" on youtube, it's the first video by Exo497, and you'll see the shocking cape gives Mario forward aerial movement. It also trips but I'm not 100% sure if it trips all the time or occasionally like ftilt.

Iko-Seiko

Smash Apprentice
Good to see all the love for the gust cape in here.

May its winds push you ever onward to your goals, my friends.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Good to see all the love for the gust cape in here.

May its winds push you ever onward to your goals, my friends.
Indeed, it does almost everything the original does but better, especially gimping
(forced control reverse + windbox = win)

The only con I can think of compared to the original is that you lose some of the potential
to punish reversed attacks.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Electric Cape is probably better than regular Cape, but not by a whole lot. Mario doesn't lack good KO moves. He more just lacks really strong KO moves outside of F-smash, and Electric Cape, while not too bad, isn't exactly super powerful.

Electric Cape I would use in matchups where your opponent is in the air a lot and is really hard to gimp. Jigglypuff is the obvious example here, so having an extra move that you can consider KOing with in the air helps. I can't think of too many other situations where it's clearly a significant benefit.

Actually, Electric Cape may in fact be better against Duck Hunt. It depends on how well regular/Gust Cape interact with his Dynamite, but Electric Cape absorbing projectiles might be more reliable to work with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom