• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Toon Link Clear the Way for Toon Zelda?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
It's exactly as it sounds. No one had any doubt that the three users of the Triforce would be back. But now, we have Toon Link, with Zelda, Ganondorf, and probably Sheik soon to come.

But what if the franchise gets one more rep? Who would it be? Why, I think Toon Zelda's chances have gone up considerably!

Let me explain: the only Zelda newcomers I thought could happen were Toon Zelda, Tetra (or the two in one), Tingle, and Impa, and to a very lesser extent Ghirahim and Vaati. But we now have confirmation of Toon-styled Zelda in the game. I don't think that will be the last we see of it.

If Toon Link wasn't in the game, then sure. No to Toon Zelda/Tetra/Both. But now, he's in, he was revealed early (due to WWHD, but still), and there is still a long ways to go. I think because of Toon Link, the cel-shaded princess's chances skyrocketed.

Please discuss how you feel about it!

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
I always thought that the Triforce trio plus Sheik were shoo-ins. Toon Link I had doubts but did not seen him getting replaced my Young Link or anyone else. Zelda newcomers are harder to predict, because unlike Mario there are not enough reoccurring character. I think if we get anyone new it will be either Too Zelda and/or Tetra and Tingle. Impa faces competition from veteran Sheik and Ghirahim, Vaati and Skull Kid are one (or two if you count Skull Kid in TP) time characters. I do not know if Toon Link's early reveal makes Toon Zelda/Tetra more likely, but it seems to make Ghirahim and Vaati and Skull Kid less likely. And of course there is the elephant in the room known as Tingle...I would not say she skyrocketed, but is a little more likely.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think so. I'm thinkin' Toon Link and Luigi may mean we get new characters from those franchises. Which would make me... moist.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I still say Impa is best. And if we get a solo Tetra, or solo Toon Zelda, it might very well happen.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm thinkin' Toon Zelda because she's easiest. But Ghirahim and Tingle are choices as well. Ones I like, unlike Toon Zelda.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Okay, I might have exaggerated. But her chances definitely boosted.

Diddy, I'd be fine with a solo Tetra, or a solo Toon Zelda, but I would also be fine with both. And I can see them doing that.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't see Toon Zelda, athough it is a possibility.
I've said it in the past and I'm going to stick to it: All Zelda needs is the Triforce Trio and another Link.
And Tingle.

I still say Impa is best. And if we get a solo Tetra, or solo Toon Zelda, it might very well happen.
Sorry Diddy, not feelin' Impa.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well seeing as how Toon Zelda was apparently planned for Brawl. And with Toon Link's confirmation of being back. I don't see her as too far out of the realm of possibility now. So yeah, I'll say she's likely. I don't know who her transformation would be though. But seeing as how early Toon Link was revealed and how we still have at least a year before we will probably get a release for the games. I'd say that there is no excuse to implement a Toon Sheik. Sakurai should work on Tetra and make her the transformation for Toon Zelda.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
I say it makes all Toon characters more likely...but only slightly. I still hope for Vaati over Toon Zelda.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
tetra and tingle seem like likely reps since toon link was announced. more so on tingle, though.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I would love Tetra. For me when it comes to Zelda getting a new rep it's either her or Tingle (who could really even not rep Zelda, but his spin-offs, so we could get both.) or no go..

We don't need any one note villains and while Impa has a ton of appearances, Sheik is too much of a memorable note for the Zelda series and Smash Brothers to be removed at this point, so I don't see her ever happening.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Tetra alone please. She wouldn't end up a Sheik clone, but Toon Zelda would end up as a Zelda clone. And that's, not cool. Toon Link is awesome, don't get me wrong. Just, Toon Zelda pushes it. And Tetra is her 'real' form anyway.

If Skyward Sword Zelda is in however, Toon Zelda would be okay though. Cause they could change around some things better, making them semi-clones perhaps. That's already better than nothing. Toon Zelda would be more of a 'classic Zelda' but floatier, faster and lighter also smaller. Skyward Sword Zelda would be Bowser-like revamped. Down B as new move to. :smirk: So it still opens up for Impa that way.

Toon Link being back opens up a lot more choices for Mario characters to. I see Paper Mario make it to. Cause I cannot see a gaint Zelda cast without a almost-equal Mario cast. Like Brawl and Melee.

And honestly, face it... Which character of the CURRENT Zelda cast would they remove out of our 3 veterans? Zelda? Ganondorf? Or Sheik? Think the answer is obvious.

grizby2

Smash Lord
i honestly think toon link got back in because hes going to get some real drastic changes to his moveset. just how like fox and falco are getting more and more different from each other, i think the same will happen to link and toon link. he deserves it after all. toon link had ALOT of original material to work with without becoming an almost-complete clone of link, but for some reason he ended up way too similar.
im hoping that him getting revealed this early is a chance of him getting more time in to get reworked.
toon Zelda isn't out of the realm of possibility, but i still think that they'll stick with link/Zelda/ganondorf as the other Zelda franchise characters. not seeing classic Zelda in HD WOULD be kinda disappointing. that's coming from me, and im not even that much of a Zelda fan :ohwell:. but anything is possible.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Toon Link was at least drastically different in the air from Link. Hope they change his Smash attacks and regular attacks a little. But not sure yet. He could get a Luigi-Peach-like Glide with the Deku Leaf though perhaps. Hope Up B becomes Wind Waker Hurricane Spin to.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'm not certain it has affected her chances greatly, but it could still mean good things for her.

Personally I want a Toon Zelda that can turn into Tetra. I could settle for a Phantom transformation as well, but I would hate a Toon Sheik.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think Toon Zelda is unnecessary, because ultimately without care and precision she just becomes regular Zelda celshaded.

Tetra at least has a multitude of stuff to pull from that would make her a unique Zelda rep and is the character's preferred persona/personality.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
I'd love to believe that this is true, and I think having Toon Link return certainly helps, but I can't shake the feeling that we shouldn't take anything from this announcement other than Toon Link is in the game and WWHD was the perfect opportunity for some cross-promotion. That he beat Zelda and Ganondorf to their reveals is pretty surprising, but it doesn't suddenly mean the Toon games deserve a second rep or that Zelda in general would get a fifth. At least it makes it a lot easier to dream of a Smash with Tetra and/or Toon Zelda, and do that I shall.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I doubt Toon Zelda will show up, but I do think that Ganondorf now has a high chance of appearing as his Wind Waker incarnation. It would certainly solve his issue of lack of a Skyward Sword incarnation.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
It's possible. Not a huge or notable possibility, but still a possibility. Toon Zelda was supposedly planned for Brawl, and if Sakurai is planning on bringing back characters he was unable to finish (which I would be happy with since that includes Dixie), then Toon Zelda would show up I guess. I don't really see Zelda getting a 5th rep, though, as Sakurai seems to be focusing more on series that currently have no representation in Super Smash Bros as well as characters that add something unique and interesting to the table.

I wouldn't really mind having her playable, though. If she played like a speedier and lighter version of her adult self, that would be very interesting and probably offer a completely different playstyle.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Ghiraihim is a one time caracter, but?
He has everything to be a SSB fighter. Easy to make a unique moveset, popular among Zelda fans, vital role in the franchise last game...
I don't think Tingle have better chances just because he is in more games. That is not Sakurai logic(or lack of)...

With Toon Link in game I expected more on Toon character but seriously rather Toon Ganondof then Toon Zelda.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Oh, I hope so! Like Toon Link being many people's favorite Link, Tetra happens to be my favorite Zelda! Having Toon Link appear definitely improves her chances! It woulda been quite jarring to see Link, Zelda, Ganon, maybe Ghirahim, maybe someone else, and all of a sudden Tetra with her charming cartoony style. But yeah, lots of people are rather worried that Toon Link and Tetra's appearance put others at jeopardy. If it makes anyone feel better my gut is telling me there'll be about 6 Zelda characters...? I dunno, I don't work for em but... I dunno when I heard Tetra coulda been in Brawl, I just wanted to play as the swashbuckling princess myself! :D

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Like I said, I do say her chances have improved now that Toon Link is staying. And hey I personally don't mind, at least if Tetra comes along with her and with Toon Link revealed so early and the release of Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS still being ways away, I can definitely see Tetra making it in as Toon Zelda's transformation rather than Toon Sheik since they still have loads of time to program her into the game and giving her her own moveset and all. I'm cool with them and I'll certainly enjoy playing as them. ^^

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I tthink Toon Link's reveal lowers the chances of any Zelda newcomers. I also think it lowers the chance of any more Toon characters more than it lowers the chance of others. Now that the Toon Zelda games are represented, why would they add another Toon character instead of Ghirahim? If we got Paper Mario, it wouldn't mean that there are more Paper characters to come. In fact, it would imply the opposite. As far as Toon Zelda herself, I have no interest in her, and I hope she doesn't get in the game, unless it's as DLC later. Tetra by herself would have my support, though. I'm not interested in clones.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
I just want toon zelda because she looks so freakin cute.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
No one said that there is only a limit for 4 characters per franchise and seeing how we had 5 Mario characters in Melee and we were apparently planned to have 5 Mario, Pokemon and Zelda characters in Brawl, it's certainly isn't outside the realm of possibility to get a fifth Zelda character in Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS.

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
Yes, but that doesn't mean the path isn't open to other characters like Tingle, as well. It's not impossible to have 5 Reps in a series, as the Mario series had 5 in Melee (Yes, I count Doctor Mario as a separate character). The spot is really open, most likely, to Toon Zelda/Tetra or Tingle.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
I'm gonna be completely honest, and agree with Diddy Kong. If any Zelda character is most deserving, it's Impa. I know that Impa would be very similar to Sheik, but that's an easy fix. Impa is arguably the most important reoccurring character from the Legend of Zelda franchise who hasn't made their way into Smash. I'm not saying she's gonna make it, I'm saying she deserves to make it. Especially over Toon Zelda. Tetra, on the other hand, I'm on the line with. I could see her making an appearance, and I'd welcome her with open arms, but I really don't know if we really need her at all. Especially when there's so many one-time Legend of Zelda characters who have the potential for fantastic move sets (Ghirahim, Midna, Vaati), but sadly their chances are slim-to-none. Just give me Midna and Ghirahim, Sakurai. :(

Back to Tetra, I would be content with her stepping up to the Smash realm, and I know she'd be very unique, so if she does make it in over Impa, I wouldn't be disappointed. A lone Toon Zelda, on the other hand, can gtfo. Maybe it's because I haven't played Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks, but I don't think there's anything unique about her that she can bring to the table other than being a smaller and faster version of Zelda. I guess I'd be okay with Toon Zelda having a Transform move to Tetra because at least we'll see half a unique character.

Also, can we lay Tingle to rest? Jesus, he would be a terrible character. Maybe it's just because I hate Tingle. But really, guys. I'd rather Toon Zelda than Tingle.

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
Also, can we lay Tingle to rest? Jesus, he would be a terrible character. Maybe it's just because I hate Tingle. But really, guys. I'd rather Toon Zelda than Tingle.
Tingle would definitely be unique, and he has appeared in more Zelda games than most. You can't deny his chances are better than most-wanted Zelda reps. I can see the hate for Tingle. I love him, but I know why a lot of people would hate him... But his chances are good.

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
Tingle would definitely be unique, and he has appeared in more Zelda games than most. You can't deny his chances are better than most-wanted Zelda reps. I can see the hate for Tingle. I love him, but I know why a lot of people would hate him... But his chances are good.
I would argue that there aren't enough good things that he would bring to the table, but I know Sakurai can pull great ideas out of his ass (see: Captain Falcon, Wii Fit Trainer) so I don't doubt that Tingle could be made unique, but he's just so... I don't know how to explain it, I just really don't like the guy. Hahaha. But I guess I can't really argue, considering I'd love Toad to be playable, and they're about on the same level.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Yes, but that doesn't mean the path isn't open to other characters like Tingle, as well. It's not impossible to have 5 Reps in a series, as the Mario series had 5 in Melee (Yes, I count Doctor Mario as a separate character). The spot is really open, most likely, to Toon Zelda/Tetra or Tingle.
Ah, but the difference here is that Tetra has the advantage over Tingle, because she was actually worked on to be playable in Brawl :D And, nothing against ya if ya support Tingle, but he fits much better as an assist trophy in my opinion. In each Zelda game, Link and a handful of other characters will do the fighting (like Zelda or Ganondorf.....or Ghirahim *cough*) and Tingle is a strange entity that reoccurs along with them, in several games. But in each one he is always simply assisting. I know he has his own games where he's the star, but if I'm not so sure those are quite popular or...even canon? Japan is kind of worried about America's hate for the guy as well (I just think he's funny XD) so they might not risk choosing Tingle over a more...favorable character. The Zelda series has plenty! ...like Tetra!
I'd love if you didn't really have to deal with the transforming stuff and it was just Tetra who for he final smash calls down her raid of pirates! She doesn't really need her Princess counterpart. Toon Zelda is great though in spirit tracks where she can be a ghost and posses those big ol' knights! But that Toon Zelda and Tetra are different entities. Only things from Windwaker and Phantom Hourglass. So! I see her just laying traps and laying down the law with one of those big ol' pirate swords. Ohh, I hope she gets in! When I was a kid she was a role model of sorts! Not all Zelda's have to be boring and trapped somewhere! They can be a pirate captain and sail the seven seas! Ahh, I rambling again. Sorry!

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
Ah, but the difference here is that Tetra has the advantage over Tingle, because she was actually worked on to be playable in Brawl :D And, nothing against ya if ya support Tingle, but he fits much better as an assist trophy in my opinion. In each Zelda game, Link and a handful of other characters will do the fighting (like Zelda or Ganondorf.....or Ghirahim *cough*) and Tingle is a strange entity that reoccurs along with them, in several games. But in each one he is always simply assisting. I know he has his own games where he's the star, but if I'm not so sure those are quite popular or...even canon? Japan is kind of worried about America's hate for the guy as well (I just think he's funny XD) so they might not risk choosing Tingle over a more...favorable character. The Zelda series has plenty! ...like Tetra!
I'd love if you didn't really have to deal with the transforming stuff and it was just Tetra who for he final smash calls down her raid of pirates! She doesn't really need her Princess counterpart. Toon Zelda is great though in spirit tracks where she can be a ghost and posses those big ol' knights! But that Toon Zelda and Tetra are different entities. Only things from Windwaker and Phantom Hourglass. So! I see her just laying traps and laying down the law with one of those big ol' pirate swords. Ohh, I hope she gets in! When I was a kid she was a role model of sorts! Not all Zelda's have to be boring and trapped somewhere! They can be a pirate captain and sail the seven seas! Ahh, I rambling again. Sorry!
I won't deny that Tetra has a better chance of getting in than Tingle, I just want Tingle in more than her, although I would be very happy if Tetra got in. :)

Sonsa

Smash Champion
I won't deny that Tetra has a better chance of getting in than Tingle, I just want Tingle in more than her, although I would be very happy if Tetra got in. :)
Ah alright! Well who knows, eh? Maybe both! It's all unknown for now!

NNID
masonisawesome13
3DS FC
3308-4678-2953
i would like Toon Zelda/Tetra like Zelda/sheik. it would complete the circle-or square if you know what im getting at.

In brawl, there was Twilight Princess Link and Zelda plus a twilight princess themed sheik. But then there is Toon Link all by himself. I think Toon Zelda/Tetra would be perfect, but one more thing, take Ganondorf out. Hes not in Every game and with the release of WWHD, I think she is a shoo-in for the new smash game. Anyone agree?

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Either Toon Zelda with Tetra attached, or maybe Impa. I say Impa because of her support, her re-occuring role in the series, her moveset potential and her general importance. Toon Zelda because she adds another "toon" game rep, has the potential for a unique dynamic with Tetra, and was one of the forbidden 7, meaning she's already been considered. Even if Toon Zelda is a Zelda semi-clone like TL is for Link, it still wouldn't be a bad thing. Although Rosalina, outside of the Luma element, already looks kinda like a Zelda semi-clone on many attacks.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'd rather not have that be the case. We just need whatever Clones and Semi-Clones we had in Brawl come back. And to have said clones become a lot more dissimilar from their original counterparts. Luigi and Wolf already do a very good job of that, but they could use a couple more tweaks. Ganon and Falco gained quite a few unique attacks in Brawl, but aren't quite up the level of the former two. So I'd like to see more of that.

If we had to get another Toon character for Smash. We should be fine with solo Tetra. I'd be interesting in actually using that character if that were the case. Hell, you could just use the Wind Waker version of Tingle and call it a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom