• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will there be a fourth SSB game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedius Zanarukando

Smash Apprentice
I am aware that it is said that Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be the last installment of the Super Smash Bros. series. Super Smash Bros. Melee was originally intended to be the last Super Smash Bros. game. Satoru Iwata begged Masahiro Sakurai to make Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and he did. Although it is unlikely that I will play Super Smash Bros. Brawl, I still want the Super Smash Bros. series to continue. I would like to see Super Smash Bros. in HD, when Nintendo's next console (after Wii) gets 1080p HD support. The fourth Super Smash Bros. game would be on a future HD console. Masahiro Sakurai would be given twelve years to make Brawl's successor.

The fourth Smash Bros. game would feature all the characters that were playable in Brawl, plus Newcomers. There would be increased representation of franchises that have already been represented in the previous three installments of the Super Smash Bros. series. That includes F-Zero, Pokémon, and Fire Emblem.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Nintendo is stupid to leave the best selling franchise behind after three games.

Of course, it is to be doubted whether or not Sakurai stays on this project, but it is very unlikely Smash ends after Brawl.

Blackadder

Smash Master
I think they'll mabye make one or two more, then prolly stop.
I think a neat addition to the franchise would be "Super Smash Brothers DS"
But after all that, I think it may end.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
I really do doubt that Brawl will be the last Smash. It's far too large a cash cow to be stopped now. Sakurai may decline an offer to keep making them, but I'm quite sure someone will keep the franchise going. Ending the series after Brawl is like saying "no thanks" to automatic money.

Whether a Smash game being made by someone other than Sakurai keeps it's magic or not is another story entirely.

Crazy Ace 01

Smash Apprentice
That's an interesting observation... who knows?

As everyone else said, it is instant money + console selling (even though they still can't keep Wii's on the shelves).

I'd hope for a fourth one, but the third one isn't even out yet; don't worry about what hasn't happened.

Got Blood?

Smash Lord
This won't be the last.The quality on the next one(s) will be debatable,but we'll all be coming back for it anyway.

Ba1100n_Drag0n

Smash Apprentice
I believe there will be more Smashes after Brawl, considering how many Mario Parties there are... *shivers*

On a more-related note, you also have to consider factors of new Nintendo characters appearing over time. That may lead to a forever-chain of Smash games (though very unlikely).

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
If Nintendo pays Sakurai enough he'll keep going... no reason for him not to.

He's stated he'd like to work on other games - every game deisigner/producer/director has; it does not by any means mean he will.

Hideo Kojima stated that MGS3 was going to be his last, but look now... MGS4 is on it's way.

Tedius Zanarukando

Smash Apprentice
Yes, Hideo Kojima said that Metal Gear Solid 3 was going to be his last Metal Gear Solid game, but now it is otherwise. The same may go for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Intelligent Systems is not going to milk Fire Emblem. There will not be many Fire Emblem games released between Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Smash Bros. HD. Those future Fire Emblem games will all console games. Intelligent Systems has vowed to quit making handheld Fire Emblem games. Fire Emblem is meant to be on consoles, not handhelds. Downloadable content will become commonplace by 2019 (the twentieth anniversary of the original Super Smash Bros.). Therefore, we will most likely expect a library of downloadable characters and stages being in Super Smash Bros. HD.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's still 4 months before Brawl even sees a release, and its shelf life will be well over 5 years. Why bother even being worried about this now? :/

KevRed

Smash Apprentice
I don't think we're worrying about the next one. We're just wondering if they will make one.

The next smash would probably be for the next-gen console of Nintendo. And looking at Wii's success, that will be a long time from now.

More franchises of Nintendo will come out, and more characters will be created. So yeah, they might make another smash in the future.

-KevRed

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Short awnser. Yes

Long Awnser: Sales of Melee where though the roof. About 8million shipped if I remeber correctly. And that was on the cubes small user base. The Wii is almost half way to the Cube's total sales. Chances are Brawl will sell more then 10million over it's lifetime(or close). Nintendo would not let it die.

Don't listen to what Sakurai said. He has never held his word well. He was ghoing to take characters out of Melee but didn't. He has never really left Nintendo has his last 3 games since leaving were Meteos(published by Nintendo), Kirby Canvas Curse, and Brawl. He pretty much works for BNintendo independently. Also, if you know what "Foot-in-the-door phenomenon" is then you'll knopw that one request leads to antoher and another. Who's to say that Sakurai won't give in and develop SSB4.

And besides, it's possible for them to find another creative and talented developer. Or just use Hal. They're still good.

Bli33ard

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo is stupid to leave the best selling franchise behind after three games.

Of course, it is to be doubted whether or not Sakurai stays on this project, but it is very unlikely Smash ends after Brawl.
To be honest, I think that it'll go the other way. I think they [Nintendo] might dwell on the success for another five years, and make one more. If Sakurai leaves, that's the series finished. Period. I can't see a SSB 5.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Reasons why Super Smash Brothers will continue FOREVER (or until Nintendo stops existing):

1. MONEY
2. Sakurai is not needed. Whether the games would be as good without him is highly debatable, but Sakurai is not Smash Brothers. The characters of Nintendo (and third parties) are Smash Brothers.
3. Unlike Mario Party, which is so uber-ridiculously overdone that it borders on overkilling the very definition of overkill, Smash Brothers has so far been once a generation. I see that trend continuing.
4. Having Mario, Pikachu, Link and Kirby beat the snot out of each other will NEVER, EVER get old.... EVER.

Link'sLeftHand

Smash Rookie
Download it.

With the potential the Wii has for downloadable content I think we can expect to see Brawl last a long time. Imagine what Melee would be like now if they had been able to create new content. It would be like a whole new game. The thought of an ever changing and evolving Smash Bros. is enough to send me into shivers... [shivers]. I was thinking about it, and wouldn't it be cool if you could go into... say... Tom Nook's store and buy new items, stages, and characters online. Too good to be true.
They may never need to make another one again.... at least until the Wii is history.
I think if there is going to be another Smash after brawl in the forseeable future it would be on the DS, but even that would be years away.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
With the potential the Wii has for downloadable content I think we can expect to see Brawl last a long time. Imagine what Melee would be like now if they had been able to create new content. It would be like a whole new game. The thought of an ever changing and evolving Smash Bros. is enough to send me into shivers... [shivers]. I was thinking about it, and wouldn't it be cool if you could go into... say... Tom Nook's store and buy new items, stages, and characters online. Too good to be true.

I WILL KILL SOMEBODY IF THEY MAKE DLC FOR SMASH BROS!!!!

Seriously, no. That is a TERRIBLE idea. I want my game to always be complete. I don't want them to keep changing it through downloadable content every month. After a while it will seem completely *******ized, and I don't want to be nickle-and-dimed on online transactions.

I could live with it if they maybe released a set of new stages once or twice, but I don't really want them to, and I don't want to have to keep downloading stuff to feel like my game is "complete". Not to mention the Wii's hard drive isn't that impressive...

DLC is a good idea for a game like Guitar Hero (if they'd only charge a reasonable price...), NOT for Smash Bros.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I say... If Nintendo continues making gaming systems. There will be more Smash.. There has been one Smash game for each console since 64.. But they aren't trying to milk it all out like Mario Party which has more than one (I think) even for the same console.

As the consoles improve, people are going to want to keep playing Smash but on a new system and upgraded. Maybe not lead by Sakurai but they will continue with the franchise.

PrinnyFlute

Smash Journeyman
Does Nintendo like money?

It's going to sell too well to be ignored.

But Nintendo isn't stupid, either. If Sakurai won't do it, Miyamoto will find a suitable replacement (as nigh-impossible as that may be.) And if he can't, then we'll see it brought back under a different banner. But it'll live on, one way or the other.

Edit: And for the love of sweet baby jesus, I really hope he doesn't continue making Smashes unless he has a real ongoing passion as a game designer for it. I'd hate to see the expert behind some of the best games of my childhood (that will still live on as generally some of the best games of the 16-bit era,) stuck making party-fighter sequels for the next fifteen years when I'm sure he's got loads of his own ideas to pursue. Admittedly, the absolute best party-fighters out there, but still.

Light09

Smash Cadet
There may or may not be a fourth one but I think there will be one, like on a new console after the wii is done or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom