• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will the two versions of Smash affect tournaments/split the community?

Skrlx

Smash Champion
As you may be aware, the 3DS and the Wii U will have a different control scheme, and as of now, the 3DS version will have stages that the Wii U version will not. My question is, how will Smash 4 be ran in a tournament setting? Will there have to be separate rulesets? Separate events for both the Wii U and 3DS version? What if there are players who exclusively play on the 3DS version? How will they ever compete with Wii U players? I don't know, I just see this as splitting the community. What do you think?

peeup

Smash Lord
Im assuming nobody will play competitively on the 3DS as its supposed to be more of a 1 player experience.

Adamated

Smash Apprentice
I imagine that this is where the MiiVerse community will become relevant. The 3ds is meant to be an individual experience, but can be shared with others online. Where a room full of smash players may not find this enjoyable, an online community would. Also, i think that anyone who is playing the 3DS version explicitly, probably never intended to play the console version competitively.

My fear is that the development team will have their resources split, and rush out two mediocre games. That isn't Nintendo's normal style, but I feel like it's a legitimate concern.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
From what I've seen and heard smash 4 will have more random and quirky stages as well as less characters/no new characters. Also it would be over blutooth/wifi or whatever. Doubt it would take precedence over smash 4, might make for a cool side tourney or something interesting to play at smashfests.

Edit: @above, sakurai said he won't be able to release both games at the same time and he already has a much larger team than he's ever had. Not to mention it doesn't sound like there'll be major differences between them so i think he'll make sure wii u version is polished and 3ds is fun.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
I think the WII U version of Smash 4 will be in a tournament separated from the 3DS version of the game. Sakurai did state that the two games won't be able to interact in a normal gameplay.

nessokman

Smash Lord
ok so so so so here is how its gonna be-

people who EMBRACE change will choose either 3DS or Wii U, some will play both and hang in limbo.

people who hate change and only want tourneys will go melee, people who don't like a half competitive half casual game will go brawl. 4 way division that is sure to start wars between fans!

Who wins? Those swaglords who play 64

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
The 3DS doesn't really seem like it will have a competitive-scene. I could be wrong though... :kirby2: :kirby2: :kirby2: :kirby2: :kirby2: :kirby2: :kirby2: :kirby2: :kirby2:

Morbi

Scavenger
I honestly can't see people going to tournaments with their 3DS. I mean it is possible. I just don't think that people playing for money will rely on the 3DS version. Less competition I guess.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Depends on what kind of level of online play is supported. If it's possible to set up tournaments online, then I'd guess the 3DS might support some online-only tournaments.

Seems like the Wii U would be much better for in-person tournaments, because it's much, much easier for spectators to watch. And the controls are much nicer. And not everyone needs to have and bring their own system. I can't imagine very many competitive Smash players won't own or have access to a Wii U - I think there will be many more Wii U-only players than 3DS-only players.

But there will still be some people who prefer the 3DS, or only have a 3DS. So yeah, there may be some demand for that.

My guess is that what competitive play there is on the 3DS will primarily be online-based, or as a side tournament at a larger Wii U event. Something people can do between Wii U matches or after they've been eliminated.

Much like there are smaller, less competitive side-events at most large Magic: The Gathering tournaments.

Vale

Smash Ace
Much like there are smaller, less competitive side-events at most large Magic: The Gathering tournaments.

EDH and pack wars > actual tournament

But anyway, I think that TOs should offer both if there is demand for it. I think a majority of competitive players will at least have the 3DS version (if you are that dedicated to Super Smash Brothers, how can you say no to having a portable version of it?). People have mentioned potential problems with the Wii-U forcing wireless controllers and potential interference at a large tournament, so 3DS could even be the standard! don't shoot me it was mostly a joke. I don't think that the 3DS version will be less competitive per say, because that is up to the players. Not owning a 3DS is a non-problem, because I doubt very many professional players don't have an N64/Gamecube/Wii as of right now. That is, if people are going to be competitive with it, they are going to own the system, Wii-U or 3DS.

To sort out my ramblings, tournaments on the 3DS could very well happen, but people may not like the controls or whatnot, causing it to not happen, considering several people have mentioned that they are going to buy adapters so they can continue to use the GCN controller instead of accepting the new layout. The only real problem is the difficulty of spectating - less hype and the potential to lie about who won if the replay system still has restrictions.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Considering the developing team considers them two separate games, I doubt both will have the same ruleset. So both will probably run events separately. The fans are the only people calling the games the same name, Smash 4.

I'm more interested to see how 3DS tournaments will work. Better bring that battery charger and memorize your friend code. >_>

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
For the most part the wii u version will be most likey to be the competitive version.
People can bring thier 3ds to street pass and play casually between tournament matches.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Isn't it obvious? Tournaments would rather play on an HDTV, you can't exactly broadcast or record 3DS's that well. At the same time, you're going to at the least import your player profile from your 3DS to the Wii U. Controller settings, player statistics, perhaps any customization that comes with it, rather be imported wirelessly than remade during every tournament.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I think 3ds would be more like an online tournament and wii u will be local. Hopefully the 3ds lets you create your own tournaments with its own rules if it is online.

Tesh

Smash Hero
it would be funny if brawl vs melee happened with 3ds vs wii u

people will fight over anything

3ds accessibility at any time will be a huge boon for the community, i dont see how it can go wrong unless hardware limitations leave alot missing.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Explanation please.
The Spirit Tracks stage is too fun and the Wii Fit Stage is too ugly.

Nah but seriously the spirit tracks stage looks like it's got too many areas to hide inside of and the Wii Fit stage has got walk off edges.
Both those things tend to lead to stages getting shafted by the tournament community.

GiantBoyDetective

Smash Cadet
I think the Wii U verison will have more of a competitive following and the 3DS version will be more for friendlys while waiting around at tournaments. I'm sure 3DS version will have it's fair share of tournaments, but I doubt they'll draw as many players.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
There will be a brief diversion at launch with tournaments (get togethers, really) strictly based just on who has which version, but eventually the 3DS players will have to migrate if they want to play, whether they like it or not. Interest in the 3DS scene will wane. The Wii U version is just much more convenient in every way. In terms of community success, you may as well consider the 3DS Smash the Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition. 3DS owners may outnumber Wii U owners 10:1, but that is subject to change. The Wii U has several more quarters of sales to push the console, and more people are committed to buying the Wii U and software as exclusive titles are approaching launch. BaPr's poll is highly insubstantiave, but if it reflects remotely reflects the system demographic, then the great majority of community smashers will very probably be Wii U owners.

I honestly don't see this splitting the community, and especially tournaments. Most actual competitive players see the console option for a game as a no-brainer. In terms of what most players like to experience in Smash, I don't see either version being so different at launch as to warrant splitting the casual scene. It's hard to imagine them giving that big of a crap.

Luigi player

Smash Master
well... at least 3DS tourneys wouldn't take as much afford as ones on consoles. They don't need TVs, they don't need consoles (everyone takes their 3DS with them anyway).
So they can just play. There just needs to be a bracket and room for these players (but I'm guessing most of them will have both versions?). Like it was said, the Wii U version was meant to be for multiplayer, and the 3DS for single player.

I can see it becoming some small side tourney or maybe some will play it hardcore, but I can't see it getting too big, so it wouldn't really hinder anything.

Tesh

Smash Hero
3ds tournaments dont even need a venue

set up in the park or play at mc donalds, who cares

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
That's a good point. the 3DS version requires a lot less set up and could be much more spontaneous.

But if you're planning on having a very large event, you'll already have to do planning even with the 3DS version, so there'll be less reason for that to matter. Large events will probably primarily be Wii U.

Xigger

Smash Lord
As for the community, it will differ for different crowds. The main factors are the differences between the two versions, (for now, stages) and the ease vs. visual gains between the two. 3DS is easier and gives more freedom, while the Wii U may reward more visually at the cost of the portability and need for a TV.

As we find out more differences between the two versions, it will only get more complex. For now, we can assume a lot just by judging the consoles.

Mind Ranger

Smash Apprentice
Im assuming nobody will play competitively on the 3DS as its supposed to be more of a 1 player experience.
I always thought it might be more competitive, can you just imagine it? Everyone bringing their 3ds to a tourney and having their own screen instead of sharing it. It will be easier since its portable.

On the original question, I think it will split them up, I dont think it will be a bad thing though.

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
Probably split. Those that prefer in-person tournaments will probably stick with Wii U and those that like online competitive play while on the couch will stick to the 3DS. Hell, I could be playing in a tournament while on the toilet. The 3DS scene will definitely have a lower number of people but it will surely exist, even if pretty much non-existent at bigger in-person tournaments.

Infinitroll

Smash Rookie
I think at first people will try out both versions. But i see the wii U as the go to version. Im just worried that the community will be split. There are people who play 64 and melee. And there are those who will play brawl after smash 4 releases. Thats a big fragmentation. Could be worse if smash 4 players are split on wiiU and 3ds version.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Sh$#, smash bros is the only fighting game with a built in tournament mode, let us pray that they make it compatible with the online.
I mean, can you imagine the unfathomable hype? We could set up tournaments that span the globe and spectate eachother's matches, rooting for our favorite fighter...maybe someday...
Then again Lag would be a b$#@%

Top Bottom