• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Sonic be unlockable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I don't think he will be because of his fame and the trailors. I think he will be a starter. However, a lot of people assume all the third parties will be unlockable. Is there anything to base this idea on? I don't see evidence either way.

Zevox

Smash Lord
I don't think he will be because of his fame and the trailors. I think he will be a starter. However, a lot of people assume all the third parties will be unlockable. Is there anything to base this idea on? I don't see evidence either way.
Sakurai stated himself that all third-party characters would be unlockables due to their status as "guests."

See his [thread=72642]Journal[/thread], entry #251-260.

Zevox

volbound1700

Smash Master
Ok that pretty much answers it, you can close the thread now. Neat observation at 31-40. He says only third-parties (meaning there could be more then 1 or 2 characters if you get more from third party, but only three third parties) also he said it was tentative number (subject to change).

Star105

Smash Journeyman
Yes he will be unlockable
well i hope he won't be too hard to unlock (or maybe not :))

burrito

Smash Lord
Sakurai stated himself that all third-party characters would be unlockables due to their status as "guests."

See his [thread=72642]Journal[/thread], entry #251-260.
If you read the full literal translation, it actually says this:

Sakurai says that having Snake as a hidden character rather than be part of the starting line-up is more fitting for a guest character.
All Sakurai says is that he would feel it would be more fitting for a guest character. He didn't confirm that all 3rd parties were unlockable.

I believe that he had actually not decided if he were going to make 3rd parties unlockable yet, and simply was conveying his feelings at the moment. In the end, I think he decided that 3rd party characters would be starters for hype value. Since everyone would want to know who the third party characters were anyway.

Kongah

Smash Rookie
Unlockable.
Sakurai show Sonic and Snake because they are important characters.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
He's a hidden character. The easiest way to check is only available when it's a new post. For all the characters that will be hidden except for Snake, Sakurai posts the words "WARNING! CHALLENGER APPROACHING!" above the character. This applies to Lucas, Sonic, and King Dedede. You gotta pay attention to these things when they are new or else you'll never know. Sonic was only in the demo for hype value.
An Example of what I'm talking about:

Django_EXE

Smash Apprentice
Take route 666 west, then drive 13 miles past meph
He's a hidden character. The easiest way to check is only available when it's a new post. For all the characters that will be hidden except for Snake, Sakurai posts the words "WARNING! CHALLENGER APPROACHING!" above the character. This applies to Lucas, Sonic, and King Dedede. You gotta pay attention to these things when they are new or else you'll never know. Sonic was only in the demo for hype value.
An Example of what I'm talking about:

:laugh: HaHaHaHaHaHaHa. I've seen this time and time again.If you translate the Japanese one, it says something along the lines of "A new Battler enters the fray" which is different than the melee one (forgot the translation). Btw the others were in the E3 movie, so they didn't have that above them.

Smash brother 93

Smash Rookie
I don't think Sonic will be unlockable.

1. He was playable in the demo

2. I don't believe that the Dojo is introducing unlockables

burrito

Smash Lord
He's a hidden character. The easiest way to check is only available when it's a new post. For all the characters that will be hidden except for Snake, Sakurai posts the words "WARNING! CHALLENGER APPROACHING!" above the character. This applies to Lucas, Sonic, and King Dedede. You gotta pay attention to these things when they are new or else you'll never know. Sonic was only in the demo for hype value.[/IMG]
No, those banners are just for newcomers that haven't been shown before. There's no reason to assume that makes them unlockable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom