• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Smash 4 support the Nintendo Figurine Platform?

Brickbuild101

Smash Lord
NNID
YouSeemFRAZZLED
www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140508/04.html

In an investor briefing, Nintendo has announced the Nintendo Figurine Platform, a lime of NFC figures depicting Nintendo's all-stars, which will be compatible across multiple games on both Wii U and 3DS (The latter requiring an add-on which is only compatible with physical games), with more info to come at E3, regarding supported games.

You know what else depicts Nintendo's all-stars on both Wii U and 3DS? Smash Bros.

I wonder what they could do to utilize them...

Discuss.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Eh, it's possible. I'd buy the figures if they were high quality collectables like the Disney infinitys ones.

DeanAdamFry

Smash Supporter
NNID
DeanAdamFry
3DS FC
2423-3337-0046
Personally don't see the purpose of these for games, if they only add content to the game then I'm a bit confused.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Now this is interesting. I joked about this before, since the Skylanders and Disney Infinity figurines reminded me of the Smash Trophies to begin with...I never thought they'd actually do this though. Very interesting.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Depending on how this is used I might pick up a couple they could be decent little collectables. Never had any interest in any of the other types of this kinda thing. But it's Nintendo and I do love me some Nintendo.

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
I don't care what it works with...

I need a Kirby figure.

On topic, they might go this route, but as I said before in a different thread, it needs to be either for easier unlocks, or trophies.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I don't know about smash, but if this results in link in Mario Kart 8 I can forgive Pink Gold Peach.

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I'll probably wait to see exactly what games they can be used for, but it's an interesting concept. Hopefully it'll be well supported too.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
If I have to buy something to unlock a character I'm burning the store.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Here's what I think: DLC for MK8 AND Smash 4. Imagine:

Link driving a Kart. :p

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Doubt it. Also, i think this is a terrible idea.

EDIT: This is my opinion though. Don't let me hold you guys back.

Last edited:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I want them all, especially if each character in Smash Bros. has it.

Wait, what if THIS is the Wii U/3DS connectivity? In Skylanders/Disney Infinity, the character holds any unique attacks given to it. What if you can customize the moveset of a character and save it onto the figure, and if they're added in an Adventure Mode, stickers? That'd be interesting.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
I want them all, especially if each character in Smash Bros. has it.

Wait, what if THIS is the Wii U/3DS connectivity? In Skylanders/Disney Infinity, the character holds any unique attacks given to it. What if you can customize the moveset of a character and save it onto the figure, and if they're added in an Adventure Mode, stickers? That'd be interesting.
Ooh, this would be interesting for tournaments. I'm not sure how likely it would be for the customized movesets to be tournament legal, but if they are, it would be a lot faster to have your pre-customized character saved onto a figure that you can just swipe across the gamepad.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
I would love figures. I'm a collector, and Smash is my passion.

My life would be complete.

supercopper64

Smash Ace
NNID
CaptainOfWar
3DS FC
1650-2938-3501
Am I the only one who does not want to waste money on thing you can easily break. Dude, is you have to buy the characters for smash in the form of little crappy figurines, i will be p*ssed off. That will be almost ditching what many people love to do, WHICH IS UNLOCKING CHARACTERS!! The only reason I bought the wii u is to play smash. If the figurine thing is for smash, i will be smashin' iwata's face.
I'm serious Samurai Sakurai, I WILL KILL NINTENDO!! THIS IS A FREKING TERRIBLE IDEA!! who even thought the plot of skylanders and their knockups where good? i played them and they were complete bull sh*t!!

Last edited:

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Am I the only one who does not want to waste money on thing you can easily break. Dude, is you have to buy the characters for smash in the form of little crappy figurines, i will be p*ssed off. That will be almost ditching what many people love to do, WHICH IS UNLOCKING CHARACTERS!! The only reason I bought the wii u is to play smash. If the figurine thing is for smash, i will be smashin' iwata's face.
I'm serious Samurai Sakurai, I WILL KILL NINTENDO!! THIS IS A FREKING TERRIBLE IDEA!! who even thought the plot of skylanders and their knockups where good? i played them and they were complete bull sh*t!!
child detected

Renji64

Smash Lord
Your not the only one i don't wanna waste money on toys i just wanna buy the game and play people really psychical mircotransactions in smash smh.

D

Deleted member

Guys, he's really serious, he is actually going to kill Nintendo. Better enjoy their games while they're still alive.

On-topic, I can see these being the platform for the custom movesets, like someone else said earlier in this thread. Nintendo isn't the type of company that would put characters behind these, and it would make perfect sense for them to be for the custom movesets. They're completely optional, and they really aren't needed to experience the full game (especially since they're disabled when not playing with friends or playing locally anyway). Plus, how would they put characters behind these if they come out in the holidays, and the 3DS version comes out this summer?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
Am I the only one who does not want to waste money on thing you can easily break.
I'm pretty sure discs are easy to break.

But, anyway, I'm not excited about the figurines, either, and if I had to guess, I'd say that even if you could use a figurine to unlock a character you could still unlock the character using traditional methods as well. It would be kind of like those facebook games, where you can either put in the time to upgrade / unlock things or pay money and just unlock / upgrade it right away. Which basically means rich kids won't get the satisfaction of unlocking a character through hard work and will instead have it just handed to them, which is kind of sad...

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Yeah, not sure exactly what the best application for such a peripheral would be as it pertains to Smash. I mean, it looks like a hand-in-glove fit, what with the Smash characters being animated figurines. But what would be their electronic function, outside of just looking really nice on top of your entertainment center or desk?

I could see them unlocking trivial content, like trophies, stickers, or even a song, at most. Stages, characters, items, and all the "big" pieces don't make a lot of sense. Character costumes? Yes. Actual characters? No, because they'd have to be coded into the game to begin with and then unlocked by buying a figurine... No one wants Smash to be the next Skylanders. Heck, people get severely buttflustered at Monster Hunter for doing this as it is.

The idea of a figurine holding personal customization info also sounds decent, like @ Halfhead Halfhead said. Although, it would have to be a convenience purchase; locking functionality to a $8 figure or what have you would assure that such a game mode would be viewed as a joke by most adults.

All that said, if I'm in a Wal-Mart or Target store, I oftentimes see parents shopping for Skylanders or Disney figures with their kids. It makes me cringe, but Nintendo has likely seen that there is a market for these things in America. How big of a market? Who knows. But it looks like a way to make some money, and I can't blame them. If these figures had functionality with a companion website in addition to the WiiU, I could see them making some quick cash off impulse buys, if the price point is right.

And, y'know, there'd be no better franchise to launch an electronic Nintendo figurine collection with than Smash. Maybe this is the "Smash 6" that was leaked a while back, eh?

Last edited:

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
I would want figures, just not to unlock in game content. Just plain, non-electronic figures. That would be perfection.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
The figurines are, ironically, just a different form of e-reader cards anyway.

I don't see a point to it, and I'm facepalming over the fact that Iwata can't grasp the true nature of Nintendo's issues, but I've been beating that horse for 10 years and I've no intention to beat it further.

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
This is what I was thinking. If it's not exclusively 3DS to Wii U and vice versa I'm sold. It'd be awesome if I could costumise a moveset from my Wii U, save it to the figurine and have someone else's Wii U read it. It would also make the argument that customisable movesets would be too time-consuming to set up in tournaments weaker.

Marxl141

Smash Rookie
Paying for characters individually (Unless it's DLC) is ridiculous imo, just give us the content we paid for, if the figurines are purely aesthetic then yes it's a great idea

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I actually think this is brilliant and a bit overdue.

What Nintendo has more than any other gaming company, and that puts it in the league of a titan like Disney, is a horde of memorable franchises and characters. It's been clear with Smash Bros promotion this year that this is something they can easily capitalize on, and it's what makes Nintendo hardware worth the price since no one else has access to these characters and unique experiences. And when Sony tried to mimic that, they kind of failed somewhat miserably. It's these brands that make Nintendo such a titan and what has everyone on edge waiting for Nintendo to sell their rights to the franchises for mobile gaming or other consoles. But that'd be an awful idea, Nintendo alone should benefit from these IPs.

So to have something like a figurine where you can connect it to different games to carry data or unlock content, it's brilliant. Now, I'm sure the content will mostly be aesthetic since Nintendo DLC never aims to exclude, so in that sense there's nothing but excitement to be gained from this.
Not to mention that as a hard core Nintendo AND Smash fan, the idea of having real life trophies of my favorite Nintendo characters in my place is simply awesome, and them adding stuff to the games is a plus.

edit: Also, who wants to bet that this is one way that will allow connectivity between 3DS and Wii U?

Last edited:

HatsuneMiku

Smash Apprentice
Smash 4 Figurines is a great idea for transfering your customized character movesets to that certain figurine. So you can take it with you anywhere, like at your friends place and transfer your custom moveset from the figurine to their Wii U. It could also become a thing for tournaments, if they'll even allow custom movesets then taking the figurines of your mains with you would be a great way to transfer the custom movesets to the consoles they have set up there. It could also perhaps include your name tag from your game so your Global Smash Ranking and scores will be stored to the stranger console. It'd be excellent and it'd be very pro-social.

I don't want figurines to automatically unlock the characters, but it makes perfect sense for custom moveset transferring. Sakurai has previously talked about customized characters being transferred between Wii U and 3DS so this idea works.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
I'm mostly hyped for the idea of Nintendo figurines that look nice and aren't at least 80 dollars, but there are quite a few uses for Smash.

The obvious ones are figurines unlocking stuff and storing personal data for easy transport. You could pay like 15 dollars for the Mario figurine (i think thats how much the Skylanders and Disney ones cost anyway) and have most of the Mario stuff unlocked immediately. And scanning a figurine with the gamepad to transfer stuff like names and control settings sounds much faster than syncing wiimotes or retyping it all manually.

I think one of the things that interests me most is though, is that these figurines sound like they're supposed to work with multiple games. What if these figurines actuallyallowed you unlock DLC, or at least give you discounts on it. Nintendo has mentioned that they were working on a system that would reward frequent customers, and that they would test it with the Wii U. Maybe the figurines could be that method. Get the Mario figurine, get all the Mario DLC for every game with Mario DLC. Smash gets a Mario themed DLC and you have the Mario figurine? Congrats you already own it. Go download it.

The other thing is that the NFC reader is built into the controller. Theoretically these figurines could be cross-generational as long as theres a way to scan the figurine.

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't see why one of Nintendo's biggest platforms wouldn't support these figures. The figures are reminiscent of Smash per se.

RODO

Smash Ace
They'd get my money if they did but then again they usually don't do the things that would take my money (new levels in 3d world still aren't a thing and DKC:TF dlc would get my attention)

Morbi

Scavenger
I would buy them depending on the cost. If the figures are only 5 dollars, I would probably get a dozen of them. If they were 10 dollars, I would probably get 4. If they were 15 dollars, I would get one.

Top Bottom