• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Smash 4 support the Nintendo Figurine Platform?

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
It's possible the figurines are just a pointless afterthought like the Kid Icarus AR cards. Just unlock a trophy and give you some coins. That'd be lame though considering the figurines are probably more expensive than the cards.

Morbi

Scavenger
It's possible the figurines are just a pointless afterthought like the Kid Icarus AR cards. Just unlock a trophy and give you some coins. That'd be lame though considering the figurines are probably more expensive than the cards.
Not only are the figures likely more expensive, but they are much more expensive to actually produce. We will probably find out what they do at E3, but I am fairly certain that it is part of Nintendo's new marketing strategy. You don't just blatantly rip off a concept to do it mediocre.

relaxedexcorcist

Smash Ace
NNID
relaxed
3DS FC
4167-4486-3541
Not only are the figures likely more expensive, but they are much more expensive to actually produce. We will probably find out what they do at E3, but I am fairly certain that it is part of Nintendo's new marketing strategy. You don't just blatantly rip off a concept to do it mediocre.

jk ive havent even really played that game.

Joking aside, these don;t have to be a big feature in Smash, as nice as it would be. These figures are supposed to work across multiple different games, it wouldn't shocking if one figurine works with 3 games and it features it provides for one of them happen to be super lame.

Morbi

Scavenger

jk ive havent even really played that game.

Joking aside, these don;t have to be a big feature in Smash, as nice as it would be. These figures are supposed to work across multiple different games, it wouldn't shocking if one figurine works with 3 games and it features it provides for one of them happen to be super lame.
Yeah, the figures are not going to make a big difference in any individual game, but I feel as though they will have something to do with Smash. Even if it is something minor.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Consider also the possibility of special figurines as rewards for Club Nintendo. It'd make me get excited about their rewards for the first time in a while.

Kirks21

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirks_43
3DS FC
1848-1728-8218
Consider also the possibility of special figurines as rewards for Club Nintendo. It'd make me get excited about their rewards for the first time in a while.
Yeah, I can just imagine some awesome figurines being exclusive for club Nintendo. Like a n64 style Mario and.....wait a minute. I just realized how they can use these figurines in Smash!!! Unlockable costumes! :O

ScubaGoomba

Smash Apprentice
I made a thread predicting something like this a few months back (maybe in November?); it just seems incredibly likely. The figurines would be best used as an optional means of unlocking content within the games, but primarily as collectables. If you don't want to play for the 100 hours necessary to unlock a character, you can purchase the figurine, instead. It has the character's data and automatically unlocks and maybe some small, cosmetic things only attainable with the figurine (maybe stickers, trophies, or character pallet-swaps).

With regards to DLC, the figurines could be released when a batch of DLC characters come out. You can purchase the DLC directly or pay a bit more for the figurine and some added bells and whistles. I think the idea of themed packs could be cool, too. For example, you could purchase a "villain set" with K. Rool, Ridley, and Ghirahim a few months after WiiU comes out. It would cost more than just purchasing the DLC, but might include access to otherwise inaccessible stage music and an Assist Trophy or two.

And Kirks, that's another thing I had guessed! Rather than spend time coding Dr. Mario, they could just plan to release some Dr. Mario figurine after the game is out and devote their development time to something a bit more worthwhile.

Last edited:

Reality_Ciak

Smash Ace
I'm collecting these figurines no matter what; if they're useful and awesome, sweet; if they're a total failure of an idea, they'll be discontinued and become valuable collectibles someday.

Kirks21

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kirks_43
3DS FC
1848-1728-8218
I made a thread predicting something like this a few months back (maybe in November?); it just seems incredibly likely. The figurines would be best used as an optional means of unlocking content within the games, but primarily as collectables. If you don't want to play for the 100 hours necessary to unlock a character, you can purchase the figurine, instead. It has the character's data and automatically unlocks and maybe some small, cosmetic things only attainable with the figurine (maybe stickers, trophies, or character pallet-swaps).

With regards to DLC, the figurines could be released when a batch of DLC characters come out. You can purchase the DLC directly or pay a bit more for the figurine and some added bells and whistles. I think the idea of themed packs could be cool, too. For example, you could purchase a "villain set" with K. Rool, Ridley, and Ghirahim a few months after WiiU comes out. It would cost more than just purchasing the DLC, but might include access to otherwise inaccessible stage music and an Assist Trophy or two.

And Kirks, that's another thing I had guessed! Rather than spend time coding Dr. Mario, they could just plan to release some Dr. Mario figurine after the game is out and devote their development time to something a bit more worthwhile.
It seems like it's the best way to go. And that Dr. Mario figurine could be used in other games as well. Maybe as a skin in Mario Kart? Who knows. Getting them either way.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
As long as I don't need this to unlock characters, im okay with it. I don't really like games like skylanders and disney infinty.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
I've realized that I donmt actually dislike the idea that much. The fact of the matter is that as long as these figurines aren't mandatory for obtaining characters or stages, they don't really inhibit me at all.

Also, I'd probably buy these even if they didn't do anything, they sound dope...

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
So this popped up:

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/05/22/nfc-will-be-used-in-super-smash-bros-wii-u/

"E3 is also an opportunity to show the use of NFC technology [used in Skylanders and Disney Infinity, allowing the use of real objects - here, figurines - in video games] in Nintendo consoles . The NFC will be used in the Wii U version of Super Smash Bros."
Guess i'll just revoice here.
I hope it's just some way to save and upload custom movesets, but extra trophies and characters would be fine if handled right.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
This will only be viable for me if the figurines come with something extra, like exclusive alt costumes and songs.
I'm not going to buy anything I can get through naturally playing the game.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Before anyone throws fire all over the place. Let me just say this.
We don't know how exactly this is gonna work, it could just be DLC (or transferring info) for all we know.
I wouldn't get worked up now of all times until we see how it works.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I just need to see Pit, King Dedede, and Mr. Game and Watch figures, then I'll be happy. :)

Before anyone throws fire all over the place. Let me just say this.
We don't know how exactly this is gonna work, it could just be DLC (or transferring info) for all we know.
I wouldn't get worked up now of all times until we see how it works.
I had an idea to where you upload all of your custom movesets (It wouldn't take up a ton of space, just a three optioned switch for each move stored on the NFC) on a figure, then bring it with you to a friend's house or a tournament.

Last edited:

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
How about a special smash bundle with the game, 3-5 figurines and a GameCube controller thing. Would be amazing.
As for the figures themselves, I'm guessing they will be used to "early unlock" trophies, characters, stages and custom moves, nothing however being figure exclusive.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Yes, because we totally know that we need to buy the figurines to unlock characters.
Yup. Thats why I made that post. Thats why I'm definitely burning the store. I'm totally not intentionally jumping to conclusions to make a joke...

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Update:

Nintendo UK has issued us with the following statement:

On 8th May 2014, Mr Iwata announced the decision for Nintendo to release character figurines with built-in NFC functionality that are compatible with video games starting from this year-end sales season.

There has, however, not been any specific announcements regarding which software titles for Nintendo platforms will use this functionality.

We have no other announcements to make at this time.
So not confirmed!

Renji64

Smash Lord
I really hope this doesn't effect the game. I just wanna buy smash with all the content and play not be purchase some stank toys.

Poots

Smash Journeyman
I could see the figurines unlocking characters immediately rather than forcing you to play through target test 200 times (assuming smash 4 will have unlockable characters).

Top Bottom