• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Smash 4 Be Competitive?

Roshambo

Smash Rookie
All three previous smash games have been competitive, so I can't see a reason why this one would change anything. Especially since Nintendo themselves are showing much more support of the competitive aspect then the previous three titles combined. They threw us the invitational and are listening to the issues that we as a competitive community have brought up. I think this game has the potential to be just as if not more competitive than melee.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
I see competitive smash in the same way that I see competitive TF2, if anyone is familiar with that.

The games aren't catered to competitive players, nor meant for them. But can they all be played competitively? Yes.

And just to add, neither kind of players should be looked down upon in any way.

Garquille14

Smash Apprentice
I see competitive smash in the same way that I see competitive TF2, if anyone is familiar with that.

The games aren't catered to competitive players, nor meant for them. But can they all be played competitively? Yes.
TF2 is my next favorite game that I have no talent for that I love playing competitively

though valve has intentionally done at least one thing for competitive tf2, and I heard they're making an in-game 9v9 lobby system

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I'm actually excited for how this game will turn out. Specially with the prospect that this game might get actual support, I only see a good, albeit a very different, future.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
TF2 is my next favorite game that I have no talent for that I love playing competitively

though valve has intentionally done at least one thing for competitive tf2, and I heard they're making an in-game 9v9 lobby system
Yup, but that was like.. over a year ago. I'm not saying they don't care, but it's obviously not a high priority.

Roshambo

Smash Rookie
I'm actually excited for how this game will turn out. Specially with the prospect that this game might get actual support, I only see a good, albeit a very different, future.
I agree. The support from Nintendo should really help out in the games future competitive scene

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
In short yes, it will be, you'll have the new players join in with 4, feeling more on an even playing field than past games due to them being out longer, the players from Brawl and Melee will of course try it out due to being able to join at tourneys without a new controller so they can get a feel for it and see if they'll play it more.

The gameplay is unmistakably at a competitive pace as well.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
True it is at a faster pace, but based off of the impressions in E3 according to maximillion, there are some concerns.
He did mention it was somewhat similar to brawl in that it was defensive in its nature, where as Melee was much more offensive and that is where much of the appeal came from.

"I am afraid to press buttons" and supposedly, several other players shared the same sentiment. It was mentioned its an older build so I hope things change to increase the pace and push it towards a more offensive part of the spectrum.

Roshambo

Smash Rookie
True it is at a faster pace, but based off of the impressions in E3 according to maximillion, there are some concerns.
He did mention it was somewhat similar to brawl in that it was defensive in its nature, where as Melee was much more offensive and that is where much of the appeal came from.

"I am afraid to press buttons" and supposedly, several other players shared the same sentiment. It was mentioned its an older build so I hope things change to increase the pace and push it towards a more offensive part of the spectrum.
I did get the feel of brawl for the most part. But by that fact of how much lag after an air dodge occurs, I feel like they took a large step towards a good balance of offensive and defensive aspects of the game. Maybe things will change even more. Wishful thinking lol

Hong

The Strongest
Personally I am VERY interested in all the new ledge mechanics. I think it will be even more exciting than before after we've had time in the lab. I have many ideas of how you can still use the mechanic to put the recovering enemy at a disadvantage. We've only scratched the surface.

Last edited:

Flindigo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1075-0735-7198
A lot of people are saying that they have problems, which is a good thing. The 3DS version doesn't come out for 5 months, and they're definitely taking feedback for a reason. I know Sakurai has the thickest skull of all ****ing time (still love him tho <3) but there are obviously quite a few things that he's doing to cater towards competitive smash, and he's most definitely not finished. At least I hope not.

Canuckduck

Smash Ace

I happen to be a competitive TF2 player, as a matter of fact. I agree with you fully.

Dark_Wolf

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5258-0774-1382
I think this game will have competitive potential. I mean brawl had tournaments, but not as much as melee did. I do think that smash 4 will have way more tournaments than brawl though, but I have no idea if this game will catch up to melee's competitive play style. Just to let everyone know as well that I do love every smash bros game, so im not trying to hate on brawl

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Are there competitive Melee/PM players who have talked about Smash 4's potential for tournaments specifically? Post-E3/Best Buy I mean.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Are there competitive Melee/PM players who have talked about Smash 4's potential for tournaments specifically? Post-E3/Best Buy I mean.
Myself. While I don't go to tournies, I do play competitive Smash.
The game will be competitive. But will largely be poke based imo, like Brawl. Tbh it doesnt fix Brawl's lack of aggression problem. Footsies will be heavy in this game. There is no safe way to approach in this game. There is hitstun, but moves are laggy and hard to follow up on. Rolls are extremely powerful in this game. Throws are useless for combos. This game does a few things right however. Airdodging into ground is a lot weaker and the ledge mechanics are nice. Really excited about these mechanic changes tbh. Also B REVERSALS RETURN YO.

The game wil be competitive, but Melee will outlive it and I think PM will too. This game will essentially be replaced once Smash 5 comes out, like how Brawl will be replaced by this game. I'm still excited for it, but tbh the mobility in this game gives me a Brawl feel. Doesn't feel too different at all. Moment I played it I recognized Brawl. And the game is gonna be released in September for Japan so is much really going to be changed?

Last edited:

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Throws are useless for combos.
This statement frustrates me, even when our lord D1 says it and here is why:

Take notes, aMSa.

This one in particular would hold merit if people actually knew how to use Rosy lol. Get that Luma away from her to follow up properly, a la PM Ice Climbers. While we're on the topic of Rosalina, even if throws ARE useless for comboing when done by other characters, I can guarantee that they'll get mileage from her.

This definitely connects before Mac's smoke even goes away. I'd like to say that it does before the smoke finished generating, but there's no way to tell that if that's the case since Mac got hit, obviously.

This doesn't look as solid as the above, if Coney jumped earlier and Uair'd again or even Nair'd it probably would have worked, but that Dair is too slow man.

Similar deal to the first Luigi GIF, but this time I can't tell if the smoke is still there or not, even when slowed down. Either way, I've seen Sonic do this same combo against ZSS at a lower percent so I'd say he's fine. Sonic can follow up anything because he's THE FASTEST THING ALIVE, YO!

But despite how much I advocate combos in Smash 4, buffered air dodges are still a thing and it's disgusting. My hope dies every time it increases I swear. That said this IS Bowser so if Mario did that to say, another Mario, he might have been able to follow up. Only time will tell.
Well that, and I'd rather have no throw combos than Brawl throw chains lmao.

TL;DR - I still think that Smash 4 will be like PSASBR in regards to comboing; you'll need to spend a lot of time in the lab, taking notes on what works and what doesn't and will likely need to practice timing too. I see the combo windows in this game being very strict. I also have no idea what to think anymore and I need to stop obsessing over combos and go outside.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
This game will have a lasting competitive scene if there's balance patches and good online, even if the gameplay turns out to be flawed. Even Brawl would probably still be going if it had semi-decent balance.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I think this will be, by far, the most competitive Smash game to date. I'm willing to bet even more-so then Melee simply because of the efforts that are being put into it to balance the entire cast of characters as well as the mechanics in general.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
I think this will be, by far, the most competitive Smash game to date. I'm willing to bet even more-so then Melee simply because of the efforts that are being put into it to balance the entire cast of characters as well as the mechanics in general.
From what most people have played, the mechanics that made Brawl competitive are GONE. And this game is still being balanced by Sakurai. He doesn't know how to balance a game competitively or want to for that matter. I'd say, if I had Sakurai's skillset, years, and experience (which is his major edge imo) but my own mindset, I'd balance way better than he would.

D

Deleted member 245254

This was so amazing, I don't even understand what you said. Curses you super smart competitive players...
From a literary standpoint, the post you quoted actually makes very little sense. It's horridly written.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
It's certainly going to be more competitive than Brawl. Combo's are back and it looks like fairly easy to pull off at least from the video's we've seen. Everything seems to move a nice bit faster. I'm really hoping that they get the balance down to a science. That way if it does go competitive stage we see a wide variation of characters represented in the competitive scene. I would also like to hope that we'll get patches to correct balance issues as they arise in the game.

Top Bottom