• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will People Stop Playing Melee When Sm4sh comes out?

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
Definitely not.
Though, I really would like for Smash Wii U to overtake Melee as like, the general consensus favorite.
I was disappointed to hear such overwhelming negativity for Brawl, I personally always felt like the series got progressively better..

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Melee will still be strong at tournaments. People who don't attend tournaments, like myself, will play it a whole lot less since I've seen everything the game has to offer for me. I have the Smash 3DS demo and I think I prefer how it feels compared to Melee, plus it has online, so there is really no point in me training in Melee because I won't ever get to play it at tournaments.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
A lot of people will play Smash 4 a lot more but I don't think Melee is going to be gone entirely. However, I think Brawl is more likely to lost steam than Melee is.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Melee didn't stop when P:M got popular, why would smash 4 kill it?

Spirst

To directly answer the question: Yes, people will stop playing Melee. Will the entire community dissipate? Definitely not.

Of course though, some people will stop playing Melee. But that much would be obvious when considering that there will be a new Smash game for everyone to get into. Smash 4 will most likely be the most dominant Smash game hosted at tournaments for quite a bit of time (as Brawl was early on) but nobody knows how long it will last. Melee definitely won't be going anywhere though. It's already lasted over 10 years now for a reason.

Brawl, however, will sink further than Melee ever would, I believe.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
I highly doubt it. While Smash 4 is a definite improvement over its predecessor, matches still seem to unfold in a fashion that is quite similar to Brawl's. Players that enjoy Melee's, Project M's or even 64's dynamic back-and-forth pacing are probably not going to find it here, so I expect quite a few people to stick with those games.

Last edited:

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
nah because how else am i going to be known as the best pichu main in america

though seriously, while i think smash 4 is going to be the more dominant game, at least for a while, there's no way melee's going to die out when the new game is released worldwide; a game doesn't maintain a competitive scene for over a decade and then fade into oblivion. what i see as a potential issue to melee's scene is whether it can introduce newcomers to the game at a satisfactory rate. brawl almost killed melee, i believe, but it seems to have come back stronger than ever. it'll obviously be a little harder to incentivize new people to get involved with the melee scene since it's not only a little dated (graphics-wise and series-wise, since there have been two—technically, three—new smash games since its release) but sm4sh will also have a lot of $$$. don't foresee many professional players leaving the game, especially not for ssb4.* i think there will still be a strong melee scene in coming years, but it won't be quite as erumpent as it was in the past year or two.

do take my opinion with a grain of salt however, since i'm some scrub who's been playing for a month and only learned how to do basic fox tech skill (e.g. multishines, waveshines, shield drops) recently lol

* this isn't to detract from SSB4; i think it's a fine game, but at the moment it looks similar enough to brawl to the point where most players won't abandon melee for the gameplay (which, again, looks fine to me), at the very least…

Last edited:

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
I always believed Project M was going to be the "killer" of Melee. Smash 4 is too different to compete with Melee on the same basis. You'd lose something unique by replacing Melee with Smash 4 of all games.

Prism

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jesset202
3DS FC
0576-5008-6643
I think PM's in a worse spot than Melee with the release of Smash 4. I do hope that Smash 4 is the most popular and focused on game for the next few years, but who knows. I personally loveee it.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I haven't stop playing any of the games. I still play 64, melee, brawl quite a bit. Do you mean from a completive standpoint? Probably not.

People still like how melee plays and Smash 4 plays differently. People are still going to invest time into melee for years to come I bet.

Prism

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jesset202
3DS FC
0576-5008-6643
Really, why would it? I always saw Project M as Melee with all the content and good in Brawl and some of the fun quirks of Smash 64.
I know a LOT of players I've talked to have begun to detest PM because of how... for lack of a more intelligent word, janky some of the characters are. Plus, a lot of people don't really like how PM keeps changing, because even though they're updating it to make it more balanced, that means that some things people have practiced for months won't work anymore.

DJ Dong

Smash Cadet
No. Melee is very unique.

But honestly, between the increasingly outdated graphics and how badly imbalanced the roster is, I doubt it'll go on for too long.

And it's very discouraging to see the best players in the game all using the top tier characters to such a degree.

My point is, Melee won't last much longer. But it won't go out because of SSB4.

Supermario12

Smash Apprentice
Personally I didn't like brawl to much because of the floatiness, so i went back to playing Melee. However I've played the demo on the 3ds and i like it a lot so ill be playing smash 4. Some characters a kinda floaty, like the villager, but Luigi was floaty in Melee and he was my best character in that game.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Smash 4 will kill off Brawl more than it will Melee. I expect the Smash 4 competitive scene to grow bigger than Melee's due to its accessibility, online play and (as far as I can see) generally lower skill floor for tournaments, but this will by no means mean that Melee's won't remain big. I would be devastated to see either scene die off, personally.

Last edited:

TheUnsullied

Smash Apprentice
Will people stop playing Melee? No. Even if SM4SH becomes the premier smash bros game to play in tournaments people will still play Melee like how people still play Brawl and 64.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I stopped playing Melee regularly when Brawl came out... and I stopped playing Smash 64 when Melee came out... pretty sure I will stop playing Brawl regularly when SSB4 comes out. I still play those games once in a while just to play as the cut characters and play on the old stages.

Joeyd123

Smash Ace
Melee is a f**king legend and will never stop being played.

As for Smash 4 I think it could definitely overtake Brawl and be a great game, but realisticly there is not a chance I ever love it like I loved Melee. Melee is perhaps my favorite game of all-time.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Eh, I stopped playing Melee as soon as I got Brawl. But yeah it's up to the individual.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
Melee will never die because some people will never move away from Melee no matter what. You can have everything Melee has plus better graphics and new characters and a decent amount of people will still go back to Melee. That's fine though because everyone has their preferences. Brawl on the other hand....surprisingly might also live because some people out there prefer it.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Nope, Melee will always have its die-hard fans that simply won't budge. There isn't anything wrong with that either, but it's a reality. I'm sure many of them will give Sm4sh a try, and some may even prefer Sm4sh depending on how they like or dislike the physics, but Melee will always have a good chunk of its player-base I think just based off of its unique physics.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Nah, there's rarely a game that is considered a universal upgrade over its predecessor. The real question is will they even try the newer game while they have one they currently like. Hopefully the answer is yes.

Fex13

Smash Apprentice
outside of the top 5% melee players, no. they already stopped back then when brawl was released. so the better question is if brawl falls flat.

link2702

Smash Champion
expect brawl to die off *almost* completely. but melee is still gonig strong even this many years after its release, I doubt smash4 will change that.

Last edited:

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
Yes & no.

At least not the people you're asking, I don't think. The people that felt Melee was worth playing for 14 years are not going to just stop playing it all of the sudden. There are still people who play classic Street Fighters too.

People who play game by game instead of sticking to one will obviously flock to this and play it instead, though. The majority of non-tourney players will absolutely move on. And that's a lot more people than the amount who actually play in tournaments/competitively.

So yes. People will definitely stop playing Melee, or already have.
But no. People who think Melee is the game to end all games will never stop playing Melee.

Clint Jaguar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ClintJaguar
Even if I end up loving this new game, I'll still happily go back to playing Melee. Smash 4 could fix all of Melee's problems and I'd still go back to it, just for that unmatchable speed. I'm not saying that no game can possibly take Melee place, but if Smash 4 does meet all expectations, it just means I'll now have two Smash games that I love.

Brawl on the other hand...

Vkrm

Smash Lord
It wouldn't surprise if melee maintained its position as top dog even after smash 4 comes out.

Cactusblah

Smash Apprentice
Melee and all other Smash games will be dead when Smash 4 Wii U is released.
The Smash 4 competitive scene will be bigger than ever with lots of new people.
Tournaments will be Smash 4 only.
Smash 4 will be at EVO 2015 and all future EVOs
No one will have to lug a bulky CRT ever again.

Renji64

Smash Lord
There is no reason to stop playing melee. Smash 4 is pretty good but the pacing of the game and those blastzones make feel like brawl still. Melee has too much freedom and your character be played how you want it too there will never be a reason to quit.

Top Bottom