• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Modded GameCube Controllers Be Tournament Legal? (Shoulder Buttons Only)

WoodyDave

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, with the button setup option, I dont see how much a modded controller could effect things. But then again, it all depends on how far you can go with modifying the controller.

deathborn00

Smash Apprentice
Deathborn00. I think that there is a chance that by not having the controller modded that it might give the other controllers an advantage in terms of shielding. That is part of the reason I brought this topic up.

I think it's safe to assume that most people will prefer everything about the GameCube controller minus how the shoulder buttons require you to press it all the way down. That is why I think there should be serious consideration about this.
i can see your point then. Then the reason for being able to map the buttons for whatever you want, could be so no control is at a disadvantage

Fluff

Smash Cadet
or you can just lightly hold L/R down, before it clicks and get used to hold the controller that way...
then all u have to do is push a tiny bit further for it to shield.. atleast thats what im going to do.

errtu

Smash Apprentice
People who use the classic controller will have the advantage if you put it that way. Its just making the cube controller represent the classic controller in terms of L&R buttons.

TBH I already modded mine.
and how do you mod it? just wondering in case i decide to do it once i have the game and find it hard to shield

Miller

Smash Lord
Okay, just get a Tri-wing and a Small Phillips Screwdriver, open the controller with the Triwing, and inside around the L & R triggers, theres 2 screws on each, take those off and pull the Triggers down and they should remove, thats about it. After you get the L & R triggers out, the springs are easily removed.

RocketDarkness

Smash Cadet
From the sound of this discussion, most of you proposing other options have either not been to a large Melee tournament or are not familiar with the amount of time it would take to sync up any controller scheme other than the NGC controller, as well as how long it would take to customize your controls on every different setup you'll use at one.

To be frank other non-default-NGC setups don't seem to be too practical for a large (offline) Brawl tournament. It'd take far too long. The choice really is between allowing modded NGC controllers or not; the other proposals don't seem practical.
You do realize that you can store controller configurations for all four types of controls to your Brawl profile, and can then put that profile in the Wii Remote's internal memory for instant access on another Wii, right? For tournaments, it's simply a matter of hitting the Home button, going to "Reconnect Controllers", having the two players press 1+2 on their Remotes, then exiting the Home menu and plugging in whichever controller they choose. It'd take like...30 seconds, tops.

Dojo: http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/various/various14.html

3GOD

Smash Ace
The level of ignorance in this thread (and the general brawl discussion) is amazing. A few things:

1) Yes we know you can map the buttons.
2) Melee tournament experience is important for understanding these issues because of the time factor. Tournaments take a LONG time and syncing Wii remotes will add to that (as will custom button mappings, though not as much).
3) There is effectively NO difference between the L-Button modded and the Classic controller, so it makes no difference which one is used - Yes I KNOW I can just use the classic controller, but why does it matter? I can also use the modded GCN controller.

Top Bottom