• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Meta Knight get the Bowser treatment?

TweetyPurd

Smash Apprentice
...in reverse?

Assuming he is in ofcorse ( i really hope so as he is my favourite nintendo character )

Bowser was SUPER slow and SUPER strong, but now it appears that they have changed him so he is a bit faster and probably weaker.

I hope they do the same with MK, making him a bit slower, and a tad stronger.

Overall in all the characters i hope that the "extreemes" of speed and power are much less than brawl.

Depends on the games engine whether he will need a nerf or not, but i'm fairly sure he's returning. The thing is Meta Knight is all about speed. He has speed and strength, but in exchange he is typically very fragile. I wouldn't mind him staying as he is he was the lightest character in the game.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
possibly. I see them cutting his recovery options down a notch(which I get the feeling they might do to Pit as well), obviously change the properties of most of his moves,and maybe even change a super he has.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
He is going to get redone in some way, If I recall correctly, Sakuria watched a few high level matches where a Meta Knight planked, Nadoed, and basically did what he does and is hated for and stated he never wanted to see his game played like that again. Its one of the reasons I believe that Pit got redone a fair bit. It wouldnt surprise me at all if the other characters who played ledge games got remade as well.

Basically he is going to get made more unsafe with a worse recovery.

SirPainsalot

Smash Apprentice
I think a way to balance him is to keep his speed, but give him less recovery options and significantly reduce the knockback from the smashes.
Forcing him to become an aerial character might fix him.
I like MK too much, I hope Sakurai doesn't simply sack him. He's too awesome to deserve a bad rep like Fox did in Melee.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
I think a way to balance him is to keep his speed, but give him less recovery options and significantly reduce the knockback from the smashes.
Forcing him to become an aerial character might fix him.
I like MK too much, I hope Sakurai doesn't simply sack him. He's too awesome to deserve a bad rep like Fox did in Melee.
They are going to have to make him more punishable somehow. This will basically effect his speed in some way.
Probably extremely fast attacks with medium recovery.

If he somehow remains dominant due to his speedy safe playstyle and gimping potential, he will be one of the most hated characters I have ever seen.

SirPainsalot

Smash Apprentice
They are going to have to make him more punishable somehow. This will basically effect his speed in some way.
Probably extremely fast attacks with medium recovery.

If he somehow remains dominant due to his speedy safe playstyle and gimping potential, he will be one of the most hated characters I have ever seen.
If that happens, that crap would be patched like no tomorrow. Sakurai would never want that.
I get the feeling Sakurai will sack him in favor of Dedede and more characters to fit in. One less headache.
Which will suck, but eh what can you do?

[Corn]

Smash Ace
If that happens, that crap would be patched like no tomorrow. Sakurai would never want that.
I get the feeling Sakurai will sack him in favor of Dedede and more characters to fit in. One less headache.
Which will suck, but eh what can you do?

Im not saying that he is a needed character, just explaining what will probably be done if he someone makes it,

Hell Id rather have Prince Fluff then Meta Knight, I dont like sword characters in general lol.

TweetyPurd

Smash Apprentice
hmm what you guys are saying is true, maybe keep his fast attacks but add more recovery to them (and nerf the tornado) would be enough.
do you also think that other extreeme characters will become more "balanced"?
like ganan or fox?

grizby2

Smash Lord
its just meta knight's knock was (<--- see? optimism!) TOO good for a light character. I felt that the he needed to be more like sonic IF sonic had a bit more ko potential.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Depends on the games engine whether he will need a nerf or not, but i'm fairly sure he's returning. The thing is Meta Knight is all about speed. He has speed and strength, but in exchange he is typically very fragile. I wouldn't mind him staying as he is he was the lightest character in the game.
The problem with being both fast and strong is that it doesn't matter if you are fragile, since you are going to rip apart your opponents with little to no risk to yourself. It's not a true drawback at all, particularly since MK has an insane amount of recovery options. Being light is only a weakness if your opponents can actually hit you.

MK needs to keep his speed more than his strength, so his strength should go along with whatever necessary tweaks to his speed come.

Nitros14

Smash Journeyman
Bowser isn't SUPER strong in Brawl. He hits less hard than Snake, Ganondorf, Dedede, Donkey Kong, Ike etc.

In fact that's one of his problems, he has all the downsides of being slow and big but doesn't really hit much harder than your average character. His smashes and heavy hitting moves in general are underwhelming.

If Bowser gets faster and stays at the same power level he might be a balanced character.

Prince Longstrok

Taker of lives, defiler of daughters.
Personally I feel if a character has all 5 of their specials useful for recovery, they may need toned down a bit. But I hope Meta Knight comes back :)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Personally I feel if a character has all 5 of their specials useful for recovery, they may need toned down a bit. But I hope Meta Knight comes back :)
Five special moves?

Wut?

Meta-Knight will be nerfed, rest assured but I don't see him getting drastically changed this time around.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think (s)he means his 4 specials and Glide ability.
I assumed that.

But I couldn't resist. :troll:

Then again, it wasn't the fact that he could glide that was an issue. It was the fact that he could glide twice in one jump.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
He might get a new down-B or even side-B, but other than that his moveset is fine. Bowser's problem wasn't only that he was a weak character, but also that he didn't feel or act like the Bowser from the Mario series, so they made him more faithful to his source. Meta Knight is fine moveset-wise, it's just his numbers that are through the roof, especially the knockback. A little starting delay on his down-Smash and Nair wouldn't be too far fetched either.

I don't expect him to get the Bowser treatment, but I do expect him to be nerfed a lot. He'll probably center more around gimping people's recoveries, a character like him shouldn't be able to KO from the main platform on a stage, he needs to have some kind of risk involved when KOing, have him jump out and try to gimp people, then there's always the risk of running out of jumps (which should also be nerfed) or getting spiked.

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Here is how I would go about balancing Meta Knight.

Nerfs:
-Reduce almost all of his moves to standard priority so he can't just plow through characters.
-Make his down smash weaker in knock back.
-Nerf his up air speed to be about 5 frames slower.
-Only 1 Glide
-Nerf knock back of Shuttle Loop
-Nerf maneuverability and damage of Nado
-Lose the little jump after his Drill Rush

Buffs:
-Make his down B have increased knockback and be a kill move
-Make Up smash link better
-make Up throw a kill move at around 120(for Mario) instead of much later.

XavierSylfaen

Smash Apprentice
Something worth noting is that in the one match video we have, we can see Mario getting KOed rather easily at sub-100 percentages, and he's a mid-weight. The engine will of course be changed over the next 6-18 months but from what we can see here, I'm predicting a Jiggs-esque situation with MK where he's still fast and viable, but is liable to be usmashed at 65-75%.

Top Bottom