• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will melee's competitive scene live on?

Eggm

Smash Hero
DDing isn't as effective or even good to do, CCing is out, and light shielding wasn't exactly an AT, but its out too. I hope new stuff is found tho, I'll play both forever. ;)

Melee will never die.

mario-man

Smash Lord
I've also heard that shorthopping is in, but it isn't as short. They have said it's more like a half jump this time. So, we could still develop that, and it would be pretty effective just to SH attack, as long as you use a non laggy or high knockback move.

S2

Smash Lord
I've also heard that shorthopping is in, but it isn't as short. They have said it's more like a half jump this time. So, we could still develop that, and it would be pretty effective just to SH attack, as long as you use a non laggy or high knockback move.
Yeah, no one knows what to do with the shorthop right now since it was changed.

If you try and run and then shorthop you now lose momentum, which kinda robs it of another bit of usefullness.

We'll just have to see, it'll probably still be very useful. Just more situational than Melee, where it was useful all the time.

YinYang.ERROR

Smash Journeyman
don't judge how competitive brawl is by just watching videos on youtube.
Wait till you own the game, then judge. I think the Idea of being able to play vs people
online will improve competitive play. Sure Brawl will be more easy to learn, but Skill is not something
people can just pick up overnight.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Yeah, no one knows what to do with the shorthop right now since it was changed.

If you try and run and then shorthop you now lose momentum, which kinda robs it of another bit of usefullness.

We'll just have to see, it'll probably still be very useful. Just more situational than Melee, where it was useful all the time.
The new shorthop is basically for spacing purposes. It enables you to do an attack (either one that cancels by the time the shorthop is done or laggy) and be able to DI away from grabs and such.

The only major edgeguard technique that will probably be improved is using the actual jump off the edge to attack people trying to recover onto the stage. Edgehogging to a ledgehop isn't as fast as it is on Melee. By the time you can let go of the edge most of your invincibility frames are gone.

Unless (hopefully) new techs are found that can make the game more fluid Brawl won't have the competitive interest in the long run. I've played Brawl for about a week and a half now, and it's really fun. But there are really stupid moves and tactics in the game already. Just jabbing or grabbing Snake's upB device makes him fall to his death, DI is really bad when you get hit (Sheik's ftilt can be repeated on fastfallers from like 70-120%) Fox's shine and rapid A attacks can infinite people on walls, Falco's laser can trap people on the ground in certain situations.

This is what seems to happen when you try to dumb games down. The cheap tactics just become easier. As it stands now there is just more you can do in melee for attacks and defensive tactics. Brawl is fun and interesting for now. But give it 2-3 years and if nothing changes greatly from how it looks now competitive (not normal gamers) gamers will get bored of it fast.

Top Bottom