• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Will Melee Ever Come to the Wii U Virtual Console?

MankeyShank

Smash Cadet
Aren't Gamecube games on the Wii U virtual console now? Because if so, putting Melee on it would increase its accessibility and possibly add new ways to play if it got Wii U Pro Controller support.
Just a thought.
What do you think? Will, or should, Melee come to Virtual Console?

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Sakurai is a petty developer, I doubt it will. It definitely should, but Sakurai is too petty.

Delta Chae

The Observer
Doubt that it would be meaningful even if it did happen. The virtual console in my personal experience has problems with input delay and frame skipping, this is an absolute no-no in fighting games of any kind.

MankeyShank

Smash Cadet
Doubt that it would be meaningful even if it did happen. The virtual console in my personal experience has problems with input delay and frame skipping, this is an absolute no-no in fighting games of any kind.
Huh...I've never noticed that.
At least when I've played Smash 64 on my Wii's virtual console, or any game for that matter.

JoeTango

It Takes Two
It'd be cool I guess if melee was released on virtual console, but I like playing our game on old ass TVs and gamecubes. I remember mango saying something along the lines of "theres nothing like the little red disc."

I'm not against a VC release or anything, but I couldn't care either way.

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
It'd be nice, but I highly doubt it. It also makes me wonder how much it would be priced at.

On the other side though, there's USB loading. Thank goodness for that.

Smash 4 is too new and still selling. Nintendo probably doesn't want to release something to compete with its sales. The Nintendo NX is speculated to be released on November 2016. If Melee's coming to VC, it might more likely happen on the NX, if it'll have VC

D

Deleted member

Probably not. Like EP ^^^ said they wouldn't want something to interfere with sales of Sm4sh and Soccerguy has mixed feelings towards Melee and its community.

Delta Chae

The Observer
Huh...I've never noticed that.
At least when I've played Smash 64 on my Wii's virtual console, or any game for that matter.
Have you ever played Smash 64 on a CRT using a Nintendo 64? After doing that for a few months and them coming back to the virtual console you'll notice a difference. Input lag is something that most people don't notice until they spend some time on a lag-less setup and then come back to a laggy one.

SixthArmy

Smash Rookie
I don't remember Wii U VC having any gamecube titles.

Nintendo just doesn't seem like they're interested in doing it. They have the resources for it, small groups of people have put together emulators for even the Wii. Shame considering you physically cannot give them money in any form for a GC title. It has to be emulator or 2nd hand.

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
I think Nintendo recently discussed the possibility of a remake on wii u recently.

Edit: used recently twice, lol.
Don't quote me on this though!

Last edited:

SpiritofSpeed

Smash Cadet
If Virtual Console's a no-no, I wish Nintendo would someday take a page out of others' books and repackage, remaster and re-release 64, Melee and Brawl as an all-in-one compilation for Wii U. Wouldn't mind that happening, and it'd be a great way for people who got into the series via 4 to experience the older games without acquiring old consoles and hardware.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
To be honest everyone should just play 64 on an emulator if they have a 64 controller adapter. The actual game slows down WAY too much.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I genuinely don't believe nintendo is smart enough to put a multi million selling game on the Wii U VC, also I don't even think they are smart enough to put gamecube games on the wii u VC at all.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Not Wii U, I don't think Wii U will have VC for gamecube games.

Whenever a Nintendo Console starts having gamecube games on VC, of course Melee will be there. Only thing to worry about is using a dumb new gen controller.

Top Bottom