• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wild Gunmen Research

Spudboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
spudboy
I was experimenting with the Wild Gunmen to see if there was any sort of rhyme or reason to when they come out, and I found a pattern.

Basically every set of five times you use the move will contain each of the five gunmen once.
So if you use the move 3 times and get gunmen A,B, and C, your next use of the move has a 50/50 chance of using either gunman D or E. If gunman D is used (now having used gunmen A, B, C, and D), the last gunman will be guaranteed to be gunman E. They won't necessarily (and most likely won't) be in any specific order. You can use the move five times and get gunmen B,C,E,A, and D, in that order, you're just guaranteed to get all five. After all the gunmen gave been used, the cycle restarts; it also seems to restart on death.

What this means in practice is that if you keep track of what gunmen you've used, you can have a better idea of which gunman you'll use next, to the point that you'll be 100% sure which one you'll get every 5th time you use the move.

I hope this is useful information to someone, and I hope there are some cool plays that can be done from knowing which gunman you'll have. (I also hope we get specific information on the properties of each gunman, and perhaps give them names for easier communication.)

Spudboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
spudboy
Yeah, the gunmen have different properties. They have different delays before firing, different heights at which they fire ( which can be useful for hitting the can), I think different ranges, and the one in the sombrero uses fire damage.
There might be more differences, idk.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
This makes me wish a Wild Gunman was a character.

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
Yeah, the gunmen have different properties. They have different delays before firing, different heights at which they fire ( which can be useful for hitting the can), I think different ranges, and the one in the sombrero uses fire damage.
I'm guessing apart from the height, none of these will make a difference for the faster fire/shorter range custom special?

Spudboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
spudboy
I'm guessing apart from the height, none of these will make a difference for the faster fire/shorter range custom special?
There are still differences between them, it's just that everything is compressed, so the differences are less noticeable. It's also worth noting that that custom slightly increases damage across all of them.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
The trophy description said that the leader had the fastest shot, but the real question is which one of the gunmen are the leader.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Is true one Gunman burn the foe but the other doesn't it. It really strange, I need more experiment of this.

No, gunmen can't be pocketed, and I'm not sure if the shots they fire actually exist as projectiles or not.
This quite questionable, The gunman I think can't be pocket because they act more like walls than actual projectile compared to the Zelda Phatom that is a Big tackle hitting guy out of nowhere. I need to test with Fox or Pit is the bullect actually can be reflected.

HorribleGhost

Smash Rookie
I have some research I did on them for a little bit just to try to feel out their differences. It feels like they all have the same shooting time except for the Orange Coat guy who shoots faster, and the lanky tall guy in white who shoots slower. They also have different knockback on their shots. I tested this by taking Mario into the Brinstar stage and seeing at what percentages he would have to be for each one to get the KO. This would mean a lower "KO %" would mean more knockback.

BANDIDO
Damage: 7
KO %: 221
Notes: Shots have a fire element to them. Shots also have about half the range.

ORANGE COAT
Damage: 6
KO %: 259
Notes: Fires after a shorter delay than the other 4.

JOHNNY CASH (black coat)
Damage: 5
KO %: 286
Notes: Seems to have more horizontal knockback than the others. Shots fly over cans.

LANKY MAN (tall guy with white on)
Damage: 4
KO %: 324
Notes: Fires after a longer delay than the other 4.

ANGRY GUY (the guy who just looks really angry)
KO %: 350

It's been my experience with testing that except for the tall guy in black who looks like Johnny Cash (who's shots miss it entirely) all of their shots both hit the can and penetrate through it. One thing to note is that there's a positive correlation between damage and knockback, where the more damage it does the higher the knockback. This coupled with the fact that I find no unique characteristics about the angry gunman listed last on my list to me means he's the worst of the 5. His shots are tied for least damage and have the worst knockback without anything to set him apart from the others.

I tried testing out their tankiness and it seems to be both inconsistent and standard across all 5 of them. Testing it against some of Mario's attacks it feels like sometimes they just take more hits (2 fireballs rather than 1 for example) and I couldn't find any difference between the 5 of them in terms of how much they take to be destroyed. I'm sure more testing is probably needed.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
I have some research I did on them for a little bit just to try to feel out their differences. It feels like they all have the same shooting time except for the Orange Coat guy who shoots faster, and the lanky tall guy in white who shoots slower. They also have different knockback on their shots. I tested this by taking Mario into the Brinstar stage and seeing at what percentages he would have to be for each one to get the KO. This would mean a lower "KO %" would mean more knockback.

BANDIDO

ORANGE COAT

JOHNNY CASH (black coat)
Notes: Seems to have more horizontal knockback than the others. Shots fly over cans.

It's been my experience with testing that except for the tall guy in black who looks like Johnny Cash (who's shots miss it entirely) all of their shots both hit the can and penetrate through it. One thing to note is that there's a positive correlation between damage and knockback, where the more damage it does the higher the knockback. This coupled with the fact that I find no unique characteristics about the angry gunman listed last on my list to me means he's the worst of the 5. His shots are tied for least damage and have the worst knockback without anything to set him apart from the others.

I tried testing out their tankiness and it seems to be both inconsistent and standard across all 5 of them. Testing it against some of Mario's attacks it feels like sometimes they just take more hits (2 fireballs rather than 1 for example) and I couldn't find any difference between the 5 of them in terms of how much they take to be destroyed. I'm sure more testing is probably needed.
I think it would help if there were images of the Gunmen next to there name.

Spudboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
spudboy
BANDIDO
ORANGE COAT
JOHNNY CASH (black coat)
Yeah, I'm working on an in-depth analysis of all the projectiles Duck Hunt has. Those numbers seem to go with my findings, although I think some of the timings might be slightly different for each one. Someone with a capture card or 60fps camera needs to get the exact frame timing of each of them.

Last edited:

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero

BANDIDO

ORANGE COAT

JOHNNY CASH (black coat)

Great info here. One other difference I notice between them is different falling speeds in the air I think. Should check it out.

Top Bottom