• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wiimote+nunchuck only thing allowed in gamestop tourneys

telliseed

Smash Rookie
I know it was previously believed that, at the Gamestop tourneys, each individual store could tweak the rules, I.E. use gamecube controllers if they wanted.

I just talked to the local Gamestop manager, who said they JUST had a conference call with Nintendo, and Nintendo is requiring them to use only Wiimote+nunchuck (no gamecube controller.)

I don't know if this will effect every city's local Gamestop, but I called some other ones near here and they all got calls from Nintendo telling them they could only use WM+NC.

Sorry if this is old news :lick:

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
I dunno about that, since I called earlier and my gamestop is using gamecube controllers...

Besides, it's not like they can check/make them.

telliseed

Smash Rookie
Well, i'm just posting the info. Anyone going to one of these should probably double check. All of the gamestops around here are just going to do what Nintendo wants.

Also, I called earlier today, a few hours ago, and they said they were using gamecube controllers. I just called again to check something else, and the manager said they just got the call from Nintendo to only use Wm+NC.

epi_adict

Smash Rookie
Mine told me yesterday that they were being forced to use the wiimote and numchuck because the regional manager was going to make random rounds to the stores to make sure Nintendo's rules were being enforced. Today however we got like 4 inches of snow and I called to make sure the mid night launch was still happening, didn't care about the tourney really just want my game. Needless to say they informed me that not only was the tourney still on but that with the snow the regional manager would probably not be coming out to our little gamestop so they "might be inclined to open a couple of used gamecube controllers." So it sounds as if the rules all depend on how much care/influence the regional manager has over the store since they are the one who will get chewed out should nintendo catch word that the rules for round 1 are not being followed.

Miharu

Smash Hero
Interesting.

I don't see how Nintendo stands to benefit from the enforcement of this rule. Then again, I suppose that they honestly could care less, since people are going to show up regardless of the ruleset.

Zellsfalco

Smash Apprentice
Dude there is no way it has over 30 people attending where i am.
I wanted to win the sweet trophy of the wrestler!! LMAO.
They told me the rules then said there was no more registering!

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
Interesting.

I don't see how Nintendo stands to benefit from the enforcement of this rule. Then again, I suppose that they honestly could care less, since people are going to show up regardless of the ruleset.
Aren't they just doing this for promotional reasons? I don't get Nintendo sometimes (well, okay most times.) I'm sure there are players who didn't compete because of the controller rules.

Vollo

Smash Rookie
i called my gamestop this morning and they said that i have to sign up tonight when i go to the store. he said it was first come first serve and i live in chicago. how early should i go?

TheMinority

Smash Rookie
yea lol but i was ok with it because i never played the game before and it made it less hard for everyone.

TheMinority

Smash Rookie
I'm going like 30 minute early.

Yeah, lame rules. Adjusting to the Wii+chuck is weird.
you have to or you'll be disqualified. lol my gamestop started 30 mins early. you better get a move on.

kingofping4

Smash Cadet
Anyone else's gamestop do random characters? I got stuck with bowser, and lost in the semis to my second consecutive ike... Apparently random hates me.

Jcent22

Smash Apprentice
i work at game stop and yes you have to us the wii mote and nunchuck and you can pick the guy you want to be if a store let you us any other type controller and then nintendo finds out later you could get kicked out

Top Bottom