• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wiimote and Nunchuck

vhalros

Smash Rookie
I've been playing around with using the wiimote and nunchuk, instead of the gamecube controller.

I've found that the default Wiimote control scheme is inferior to the GC controller, because one can't keep a finger on shield (Z) and jump (c) at the same time (and tilting the analog stick up is no substitute, since that makes short hopping hard/impossible). One also has no quick access to smash attacks (as with the C-stick on the GC controller). Perhaps if my middle finger were more dexterous, I could put it on the Z button for shielding and keep my index finger on C. However, that leaves one holding the nunchuk with only the with only the ring and pinky finger, which feels awkward to me.

However, I've found that with some minor reconfiguration it may be better than a GC controller. Turning on the smash with waggle option allows one access to quick smash attacks. Then, moving the jump to the down arrow on the D-pad allows for jumps while keeping a finger on the shield. The C button is unused in my configuration.

The advantage of this configuration is that I never need to move my fingers. I can keep my left thumb and index finger on the stick and Z button respectively. Then, I can keep my right thumb on down and A (tip of my thumb on down, and another point on my thumb on A). Grabbing by pushing both A+B works pretty well. Short hopping is as easy as with the GC controller. And a quick flick of the wrist in the appropriate direction brings out a smash (I find I can do them as quickly and reliably as I could by reaching for the C stick). Charge smashes are still, of course, available using A and the analog stick.

I'm still not used to this configuration, but I think it has potential.

Has any one else tried something similar? Or does any one have any thoughts on the subject?

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
what is wrong is the A button for quick smash attacks?

I'm not going to call you a c-stick noob, but there is the A button and using it would mean you wouldn't have to make sacrifices in your control scheme.

I only really use the c-stick for some aerials.

vhalros

Smash Rookie
Well, its true I don't really use it much. I figured it nice to have the option available.

Chro

Smash Apprentice
You can charge Shake Smashes by holding down A when you flick it.

Personally I'm fine with the default configuration. My left hand fingers move pretty well (I'm a violinist) and using my left index finger for c/z works nicely. I find the A+B timing a little tricky (same with 1+2 for side taunts) so I usually just shieldgrab, or use the d-pad (which is a little difficult to get to IMO)

Zevox

Smash Lord
because one can't keep a finger on shield (Z) and jump (c) at the same time
Thats incorrect, actually. I do. You just need to put your finger in the crevasse between them. Its actually quite easy to use both with the same finger that way once you get used to it. I sort of discovered that on accident, since it wound up just becoming instinctive while I was trying to learn the control scheme, but it really does work quite well.

vhalros said:
One also has no quick access to smash attacks (as with the C-stick on the GC controller).
Don't know about anyone else, but I've always found simple smashing the control stick and hitting A much faster than moving my finger to the c stick anyway, so this doesn't bother me.

vhalros said:
Perhaps if my middle finger were more dexterous, I could put it on the Z button for shielding and keep my index finger on C. However, that leaves one holding the nunchuk with only the with only the ring and pinky finger, which feels awkward to me.
Aye, I tried that too, and had the same experience.

Personally, the only customizations I've made to the Wiimote/Nunchuk scheme is to make the down d-pad grab and the up/side d-pad taunts (and turn tap jump and shake smash off), and I'm already at least as good with it as I was with the 'Cube controller in Melee, possibly better. But I also don't claim to be some uber-competitive player, so I don't know how that'd work for some of the rest of you.

Zevox

firedragon_jing

Smash Ace
I was able to use the Wii-mote/Nunchuk for what it was, basically a Game-cube controller substitute.
That's exactly what it felt like to me, except of course the two pieces being split, and it being a bit more awkward.

But when I first switched from using my Wavebird and my Wireless Logitech PS2 controller I've got rigged up to be used as a GCN controller, over to the Wii-mote/Nunchuck I keep wanting to swing it around like I have in all my other great Wii titles, like Zelda Twilight Princess and Mario Galaxy (more-so LoZ:TP where you swing to attack), or at least move the pointer around the menu with the motion sensing.

I don't mind them trying to stick to what has worked and allow people who were used to Melee to continue using the GCN contrller scheme, but add something more to the Wii-Mote schemes to give it that Wii feel. That and the character selection is what contributes to my views that this would have been better off on the GCN if the GCN were still around.

I haven't tried the Wii-mote alone, and don't plan to because it looks very awkward and limiting, and the Classic Controller seeing as I don't own one. But for right now, I'll stick to my Wavebird and Wireless PS2 controller. I don't mind the Wii-mote/Nunchuck, but it just feels lacking.

Darkslash

Smash Master
I find that the Nunchuck is Easier if you play Computer FPS games. Because movement is WASD on the left hand side, I need to use my left hand fingers more quicker than my right hand :laugh:

So try getting a free FPS game like Warrock or America's Army :laugh: helps alot :laugh:

@firedragon

the Wiimote sideways isn't awkward to me :laugh:

I've been playing the NES for around 4 to 5 years, so Wiimote Side was is natural to me :laugh:

Canuseethetruth

Smash Rookie
I started playing with the wiimote and nunchuck the first time brawl came out to test out this style of playing. So I've been playing for about 2 weeks and since then i havent been able to use a gamecube controller but i find the wiimote and nunchuck to be easier to use now.

"Once you go mote n chuck u dont go bak"

Yangtze

Smash Rookie
I started playing with the wiimote and nunchuck the first time brawl came out to test out this style of playing. So I've been playing for about 2 weeks and since then i havent been able to use a gamecube controller but i find the wiimote and nunchuck to be easier to use now.

"Once you go mote n chuck u dont go bak"
yar, true dat. i was thinking of buying a wavebird but then i was like what the heck, im getting prety good with wiimote and chuk and decided to get used to it. after 2 weeks im really used to it and i can beat my friends who use wavebirds. just using the normal setup is fine for me. and i can still short hop by scratching the c button, i find that easier than doing it to x or y. i think wii mote and chuk is too underrated.

CaptainFalco30

Smash Cadet
I use the same configuration, actually, making down on the control pad jump and having shake smashes on. Shake Smash can sometimes mess up just because I move my hand diagonally without thinking and use an Fsmash when I wanted a Dsmash or something like that, but that was only a problem in the beginning. I like it mostly for being able to slide from Down to A for SH aerials.

Top Bottom