• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii U Patch 1.0.8 (Lucas Patch) Data Thread Compilation

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
This was totally unexpected.

And majorly awesome. :awesome:

@ RandomTBush RandomTBush As we're all aware, there was text data in the 1.0.6 files. that suggested five more DLC slots opened up after Mewtwo. While you're going through all the pictures and audio files. is there anything new now that would hint at more characters coming? If they're releasing Lucas, Roy, and Ryu all on Sunday or this month, then there would/should definitely be something relating to new characters if they're working on them, considering the turnaround they had on three characters at once (albeit two of them coming from being semi-clones in previous games; hopefully Roy isn't this time, though!).

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
Roy and Ryu's Final Smash has been revealed in the form of trophies. Roy gets some kind of Flaming Critical Hit, Ryu gets his Shin Shoryuken, and Lucas gets a PK Starstorm that looks way cooler than Ness'.

Bullys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bullys23
Well this is just awesome.

Really struggling to find a secondary in Wii U/3DS I want, and I've said for a long time if Ryu comes its going to be near impossible for me not to commit to him. But a couple of new stages, Lucas and Roy.

I wonder when Nintendo realize that truly they can print their own money. They have so many games and franchises that they can cross over or remake (not just limited to Smash) that people will go crazy for.

Funbot28

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlwaysDOMINATE
This is all cool and all but I am still waiting for Ice Climbers....

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Roy just has Japanese voices. Ryu has both.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
Ryu's moveset just got released. I seriously hope that down b isn't a counter, we have way too many with Roy coming in.

Metal B

Smash Journeyman
It will work like Chizard's Rocksmash (Super Armor Move), you can the Focus Attack in his Video. Ryu uses his move, even so nobody is attacking him.

IndigoSSB

Back from the dead
Is the focus attack the punch with the ink trail? (I'm not that familiar with Ryu) If it works like GW's up smash that would be pretty interesting.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Roy yessss

I just need Ivysaur back now and I'll be so happy

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I assumed that Focus Attack was a Smash Attack, and that Ryu is basically gonna be a more versatile Little Mac.

MOV_Games

Smash Rookie
So there's 10 songs on the Street Fighter stage, 6 of which are versions of Ryu's & Ken's SF2 themes. Any confirmation on what the other 4 songs are?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
So Roy is just another clone? Disappointing but expected. Wonder if he'll share Marth's frame data or if they actually balanced him unlike Lucina...

Ryu, I don't really understand. Can't get the videos to work ATM, but is he a generic B:Hadoken Up B Shoruken kinda thing or is there some cool gimmick to him?

What I'm really interested in is if there's been balance changes. People are actually playing the update correct? Just wondering if we've seen any significant changes so far.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So Roy is just another clone? Disappointing but expected. Wonder if he'll share Marth's frame data or if they actually balanced him unlike Lucina...

Ryu, I don't really understand. Can't get the videos to work ATM, but is he a generic B:Hadoken Up B Shoruken kinda thing or is there some cool gimmick to him?

What I'm really interested in is if there's been balance changes. People are actually playing the update correct? Just wondering if we've seen any significant changes so far.
People aren't playing the update. The one part of the update that is missing is the installation executable, as far as I'm aware.

Ryu seems to just be like a more versatile Little Mac with Mario-esque specials, from what little we can see.

I don't think we can expect cool gimmicks from any of these DLC fighters. You'll notice that all of them so far use code and functions that already exist in the default roster. Ryu and Mewtwo may not be clones/semi-clones like Roy/Lucas, but they use pretty standard functions that the roster already has (melee attacks with hitboxes, projectiles, reflectors, stun move, counter, etc). It's for that reason I don't think Inklings are ever going to be in this game, and will be saved for the next Smash. They'd likely require a ton of new code and serious consideration to get into the game, without being a glitchy or broken mess.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
So Roy's still a full-on clone of Marth, it seems... if they charge $4 for a second clone of Marth, I'm seriously giving up on this character DLC business unless they get Geno. Stage DLC, on the other hand, I'm all in for. Especially that Street Fighter stage, that Ken's Theme remix is pretty swanky.
also what about :4roy:*shot*

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
People aren't playing the update. The one part of the update that is missing is the installation executable, as far as I'm aware.

Ryu seems to just be like a more versatile Little Mac with Mario-esque specials, from what little we can see.

I don't think we can expect cool gimmicks from any of these DLC fighters. You'll notice that all of them so far use code and functions that already exist in the default roster. Ryu and Mewtwo may not be clones/semi-clones like Roy/Lucas, but they use pretty standard functions that the roster already has (melee attacks with hitboxes, projectiles, reflectors, stun move, counter, etc). It's for that reason I don't think Inklings are ever going to be in this game, and will be saved for the next Smash. They'd likely require a ton of new code and serious consideration to get into the game, without being a glitchy or broken mess.
You don't need a whole new game to make a decent gimmick. Most of our newcomers could be ported to Brawl if they wanted to.

I sure hope Sakurai isn't trying to cheap out on designing characters... I don't want more fluff like Mewtwo or the clones. If Ryu really is just a generic character then I know not to ever expect any good DLC from Sakurai, I guess.

Untamed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Immortal_gamer2
Idk about you guys, but I'm not buying either until I see how they play, if they're good, broken, etc.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You don't need a whole new game to make a decent gimmick. Most of our newcomers could be ported to Brawl if they wanted to.

I sure hope Sakurai isn't trying to cheap out on designing characters... I don't want more fluff like Mewtwo or the clones. If Ryu really is just a generic character then I know not to ever expect any good DLC from Sakurai, I guess.
All of the newcomers could be theoretically back ported to Brawl, absolutely nothing is impossible with coding. However, that does not equal it being worth the time or cost of doing it with some characters, it could potentially take years to back port a Smash 4 newcomer like Shulk or Rosalina to Brawl, with all of the exact same properties and what not. Same with Smash 4 DLC. It's add-on content for a game, made with a small team as opposed to the big team they had for the original game. It's impressive they've got 4 new characters done already to begin with. Throwing in a character that requires loads of new code and functions probably would not be worth it. So far, they some to be putting in characters they know people want to play as and are fairly simple to play/implement.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
All of the newcomers could be theoretically back ported to Brawl, absolutely nothing is impossible with coding. However, that does not equal it being worth the time or cost of doing it with some characters, it could potentially take years to back port a Smash 4 newcomer like Shulk or Rosalina to Brawl, with all of the exact same properties and what not. Same with Smash 4 DLC. It's add-on content for a game, made with a small team as opposed to the big team they had for the original game. It's impressive they've got 4 new characters done already to begin with. Throwing in a character that requires loads of new code and functions probably would not be worth it. So far, they some to be putting in characters they know people want to play as and are fairly simple to play.
There's almost no difference in adding a new character to a new game as compared to adding a new character to an old game. Just about all of our newcomers could of been added to Brawl in a reasonable amount of time.

What's the point if the DLC is just going to be useless fluff? Why can't we have a truly unique newcomer? It's entirely possible that we could get something as worthwhile as MK8's DLC, we just haven't yet. If for some god-awful reason Ryu is as boring as Mewtwo, then this DLC is a complete waste of time. I would sure hope Nintendo wouldn't get lazy with the DLC of one of their biggest games.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
There's almost no difference in adding a new character to a new game as compared to adding a new character to an old game. Just about all of our newcomers could of been added to Brawl in a reasonable amount of time.

What's the point if the DLC is just going to be useless fluff? Why can't we have a truly unique newcomer? It's entirely possible that we could get something as worthwhile as MK8's DLC, we just haven't yet. If for some god-awful reason Ryu is as boring as Mewtwo, then this DLC is a complete waste of time. I would sure hope Nintendo wouldn't get lazy with the DLC of one of their biggest games.
Yes there is a difference. And you have to keep in mind they have a budget to adhere to. Sakurai is most likely doing this with a few select people pulled from different companies (primarily Bandai Namco). He has to do as much as he can with that.

Just because characters are "useless fluff" to you, doesn't mean others don't enjoy them. I'll admit Roy is debatable, but the other three are all beloved characters and have their own unique movesets, even if they don't have unique gimmicks. Personally, I actually really enjoy Mewtwo in this game. Plus, I got him for free, so there is nothing to complain about.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
To be honest, I don't really mind a few newcomer DLC that aren't overly gimmicky but still unique. I still enjoyed most of Brawl's newcomers and most of them weren't really near the same calibre as Smash 4's newcomers in terms of special features. They are working with a smaller team after all so I'm not expecting most of the DLC characters to be all Rosalina's and Shulk's etc.

But that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Yes there is a difference. And you have to keep in mind they have a budget to adhere to. Sakurai is most likely doing this with a few select people pulled from different companies (primarily Bandai Namco). He has to do as much as he can with that.

Just because characters are "useless fluff" to you, doesn't mean others don't enjoy them. I'll admit Roy is debatable, but the other three are all beloved characters and have their own unique movesets, even if they don't have unique gimmicks. Personally, I actually really enjoy Mewtwo in this game. Plus, I got him for free, so there is nothing to complain about.
So why can't they put all their effort into one good character? Actually, why can't they put as much effort into the DLC as the MK8 team did? Why waste their time on fluff that they're going to have to waste time recreating next game when they could make something that stands the test of time? If it's just going to be clones and fluff people are going to remember SSB4's DLC as disappointing.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
I can only imagine the HAL/Sora/Nintendo/Namco employee...
--Hmm, this update is sure looking great...*Press upload* NOOOOO
Edit: OMG...those songs... are..so..beautiful!

Last edited:
Top Bottom