• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii U owners: Would you get an 3DS solely for Smash?

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
I'm only buying a 3DSXL& SSB3DS if Banjo-Kazooie or King K. Rool is playable in the game. If they are not I can wait for the Wii U version. No other characters would get me excited enough to buy both versions.
B-K are highly unlikely & I vastly regret this... I love their games & they would fit perfectly. The only place where BK games could be possible (except the XBoxes) is the 3DS....(oh, another possible selling point for me?) But other than that, there's no justification for Big N to support the now Microsoft-owned franchise :(

Psh.

I bought the Wii U solely for smash (along with the fact that I predicted that many good games would come out as well)

If it was the other way around, I'd definitely do it still.
That pretty much nails the background of my Wii U purchase. I love most of Nintendos franchises, so finally getting them in HD was another thought, but there was not much confirmed at that point.

Sure, the 3DS got some things like Ocarina of Time 3D and a possible Majora's Mask 3D, but I wouldn't really need MK7 & 3D land due to their more-or-less had counterparts. Maybe Fire Emblem or Pokemon, but that's almost it...

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Mmm, I like a lot of the games on the 3ds.

If you've never played Tales of the abyss which was originally on Ps2, the 3ds version is almost as good.

I say almost because unlike the ps2 version it doesn't have multiplayer. But it's load times are so much better that it's worth it.

Fun game

7/10 I'd rate it for the average person.

------

Bravely Default was a pretty excellent title.
I won't lie though. It has a good plot twist, but said plot twist ends up with the game becoming SUPERBLY repetitive.

Most of the content post the plot twist is all optional, but because each one has a big blue exclamation mark over them, it would feel really awkward to not do them.

9/10 first part of the story
6/10 post plot twist
9/10 for the two endings

10/10 for gameplay. lots of creativity and really fun to experiment and play through.

----

Fire emblem: Awakening is a must.

Not gonna ramble about this one. Had a relatively solid story and rewards your strategy. Casual for the good time, and Classic for an extreme challenge.

For newer players to the series but possess strategy in their veins, I'd recommend Hard Casual.

----

A link between worlds is much more worth getting than ocarina of time 3d unless you've never played Ocarina of time.

It was pretty good as well. I still haven't beaten it because I'm trying to 100% it before I beat the final boss.

10/10 I really enjoyed it. Kind of short though. Wish hero mode was available from the start.

----

Pokemon X and Y was a pretty lackluster title.

It was great in mostly everything. New mechanics, things to explore, new types, and pokemon.

But...the experience was lacking.

The trainers in this game were easier than ever which is bad because pokemon is already easy enough.
The story was...flawed. Heavily.
The endgame content is so non-existent other than a nice side story (which was better than the main story of the whole game). It really felt like it was....unfinished.

But the new changes to the game in general are probably the best of any pokemon series.

I would wait for the more than likely "Z" version before buying this if I were you. Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire also look more promising than these, but if you've played Hoenn, I wouldn't suggest it unless it was your absolute favorite region and you are looking for a way to get into the next gen of pokemon.

------
Kid Icarus: Uprising was great.

It's got the worst control scheme to date. I won't lie. But if you can adapt to it, it probably becomes one of the 3ds' strongest titles.

Great humor, great story, fun to play and even has pretty good online.
I put in quite a bit of time on the game.

10/10 I really enjoyed it.

-----

Now here are some appealing games that I have heard good things about but I haven't played personally.

Animal Crossing New Leaf
Kingdom Hearts Dream drop Distance
Pheonix Wright Ace attorney Dual Destinies
Pheonix Wright Trilogy
Rune factory 4
Tomodachi life
Professor Layton and his games
Professor Layton vs Pheonix Wright Ace attorney

YaBoiobZ

Smash Rookie
I have a 3DS and cannot wait for Smash. I will also be getting a WiiU for Smash as well. But I am really hoping to get the WiiU as a xmas gift so I dont have to buy it.

Jords2Good

Smash Journeyman
Well I already have a 3ds but if I didn't have one, I would've bought one to get Smash 3ds. How could I not?

But doesn't mean there isn't other great games for 3ds. Some are Luigi's mansion dark moon, Kirby triple deluxe, Mario and Luigi Dream team and Mario kart 7.

Josniff640

Smash Cadet
I own a 3ds and I love it but I would not get a 3ds solely for smash 4.
I would definitely get a 3ds, but I would pick up other games with it too (pokemon/zelda/Fire Emblem) in addition to smash. I say this because if you think about it, once Smash 4 comes out on the Wii U, that's what you'll be wanting to play it on (Unless the 3ds version is significantly superior to the Wii U for some reason). And I'm not saying \everybody will stop playing the 3ds version once the Wii U version comes out, but it's just that the Wii U one is more hyped and is what we will naturally progress to.
So get a 3DS if there are other games you want in addition to smash 4, but not only for it.

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
@Saito: ...Wow! Thank you for your detailed post! Yeah, I've completed OOT once on the N64, but still love the whole setting, story, music etc. and think it looks like a gorgeous remake :)

Good to know that Pokemon X&Y are a mixed bag. In my mind, I'm still stuck in the first generation and would prefer to try an older title as a remake. But RPGs in general are just best on a handheld console. So there's plenty of them!

So what are the multiplayer-evergreens on 3DS?

@Josniff640: Yep that's right, that would be kind of a waste at the end. But what do you think about the whole "new experience" factor? Do you think the Wii U version becomes less exciting after 2, 3 months of 3DS Smash?

@Everyone: Thanks to all of you for your comments & opinions so far; I'm always curious about your answers!

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
So what are the multiplayer-evergreens on 3DS?
I've never actually heard that terminology.

I'm going to assume you mean the long lasting multiplayer games on 3ds.

Hmmm, It's been more of a solo experience from what I've seen.

Pokemon has online (of course)

Animal crossing lets you spend time with other players online. I've heard stories about strange happenings in that game though... @Ndayday :laugh:

Mario Tennis Open has online, I heard it's not very good though because you can use the auto aim stuff online. If not for that I probably would of purchased that game.

Luigi's mansion dark moon apparently has it, but I know nothing of that game.

Kid Icarus uprising online is good. I haven't been on it in a while so I don't know if it's still active. It's a blast to play though.
No seriously. I need to rant about how good it's online is for a minute.

Not only do you get two modes, (Team and Free for all) At the end of the match, sometimes a random free item goes to a random person. And a lot of the time everyone will be rewarded with a free weapon. These weapons can be literal godly weapons or even trash weapons that you can fuse to make even more powerful weapons.

I've gotten better weapons from playing online than playing the game. Never has an online experience been more fun than that. I just wish I had more personal friends so I could play stock type matches as opposed to just timed matches.

Sonic lost world also has online from what I've been told.

------------

For non online, I'd say Mario Party is a great one though.

Josniff640

Smash Cadet
@Josniff640: Yep that's right, that would be kind of a waste at the end. But what do you think about the whole "new experience" factor? Do you think the Wii U version becomes less exciting after 2, 3 months of 3DS Smash?
I don't think it would be that much less exciting. I mean it's still technically a new smash bros. To me it will kinda be like playing the beta of the game and then getting the so much more full filling release. But as for hype of "What characters are in it" that one is totally dying the day smash 4 comes out on the 3ds for sure though lol.

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
@Saito: Ha! Yes, in Germany, "evergreen" is a term for "long lasting enjoyment". Interesting that it's not that common in its original language.

So Kid Icarus, MK7, Animal Crossing & Pokemon seem to be the strongest ones. From my experience, Smash is definately joining them - if the online works far better than it did in Brawl.

@Josniff640: Ye
s, at least we've got different stages, less music tracks & different modes (I hope... because only Smash Run was declared to be exclusive). And the roster surprise will be destroyed as soon as we hit any Nintendo-games related page...

Josniff640

Smash Cadet
Yeah I'm going to stay off the internet from the moment smash 4 is released to the second I know I have every character because I don't want that surprise to be spoiled.

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Yeah I'm going to stay off the internet from the moment smash 4 is released to the second I know I have every character because I don't want that surprise to be spoiled.
I hope you have a great september 13th.

BECAUSE JAPAN'S GETTIN IT EARLY.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I'd never buy any Video Game System only for a single game.
However, Super Smash Bros. for both systems are the biggest reasons I own both a Nintendo 3DS and Wii U..and the sole reason I upgraded to a Nintendo 3DS XL from a Nintendo 3DS.
However, when buying systems, I have to look at what games are being released, what games are planned for release, and what games are likely to be released.
For instance, I plan on getting a PlayStation 4 eventually in order to get Kingdom Hearts III, but its not the sole reason, since I also expect to see other Capcom games, Sega games, Atlus games, and Square-Enix games released for the system that I would really like to play.

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
Okay guys, I did it. Ordered a new XL imported from Italy, so it was quite a bit cheaper. So yeah - I'm waiting! But when it arrives, I'll go and discover A Link Between Worlds :chuckle: Currently, I'm not interested in much more (Luigis Mansion 2 maybe?), but that might change a while after Smash!

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Okay guys, I did it. Ordered a new XL imported from Italy, so it was quite a bit cheaper. So yeah - I'm waiting! But when it arrives, I'll go and discover A Link Between Worlds :chuckle: Currently, I'm not interested in much more (Luigis Mansion 2 maybe?), but that might change a while after Smash!
I feel I should just make sure, you are in Europe right?
I only have to ask since the Nintendo 3DS is region locked.
I assume you are since why else would you import from Italy, but better safe then sorry.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
I'm planning on getting a 3DS on eBay. I have several options (all prices are as of this writing):
- a regular red 3DS with 2 games (My Amusement Park: Digging For Dinosaurs and Petz: Ocean Patrol) and a SD card that includes a charger but might not have a stylus for $16 (can't buy until Monday)
- another regular red 3DS with a charger and likely no stylus (or SD card), but has 3 games (Luigi's Mansion 2, Super Mario 3D Land and some Transformers game) for $20.50 (can't buy until Tuesday)
- yet another regular 3DS, this time blue, with all of the above except an SD card (stylus unknown) and only has New Super Mario Bros 2 for $11.51 (can't buy until Thursday)
- a black XL with literally the whole package but no games or SD card for $14.25 (can't buy until Thursday)
- same as above (still an XL), but it's pink (!) and new for $13.98 (can't buy until Monday)

Last edited:

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
If its about Smash, I would recommend the XL one. In almost every way people advice to buy the bigger one - the normal version is too tiny! And you've got more battery life + a better grip (as an adult with bigger hands). Also, the screen should be matte and not shiny, which prevents a lot of reflections while you're playing.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I'm planning on getting a 3DS on eBay. I have several options (all prices are as of this writing):
- a regular red 3DS with 2 games (My Amusement Park: Digging For Dinosaurs and Petz: Ocean Patrol) and a SD card that includes a charger but might not have a stylus for $16 (can't buy until Monday)
- another regular red 3DS with a charger and likely no stylus (or SD card), but has 3 games (Luigi's Mansion 2, Super Mario 3D Land and some Transformers game) for $20.50 (can't buy until Tuesday)
- yet another regular 3DS, this time blue, with all of the above except an SD card (stylus unknown) and only has New Super Mario Bros 2 for $11.51 (can't buy until Thursday)
- a black XL with literally the whole package but no games or SD card for $14.25 (can't buy until Thursday)
- same as above (still an XL), but it's pink (!) and new for $13.98 (can't buy until Monday)
I'd be fairly dubious of the Nintendo 3DS systems actually being in working order or looking good enough if they're being sold at those prices...I can't imagine people selling things for that cheap if they were actually in working order.

LoboRundas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoboRundas
3DS FC
4098-3496-0921
Switch FC
SW 6696 1795 2392
It's in fact the opposite for me, I will buy a WiiU for Smash already having a 3DS.

turtle roll

Smash Apprentice
I bought my 3ds with brawl in mind. But after a year or two of wear and tear, I'm considering purchasing a special edition 3ds if it comes out. Start fresh and all. I'd say you made a wise decision!

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
I'd be fairly dubious of the Nintendo 3DS systems actually being in working order or looking good enough if they're being sold at those prices...I can't imagine people selling things for that cheap if they were actually in working order.
That doesn't really answer my question...

Morbi

Scavenger
Not necessarily. I bought a Wii U for Smash and I finally got a game for it about a month ago, I have not played the game too much. I should probably get back to it. Regardless, I did buy a 3DS predominately for Smash; HOWEVER, there were other games I was interested in because there is such an extensive library, currently I own: Awakening, Pokemon Y, Uprising, A Link Between Worlds, Ocarina of Time, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Kart 7 and New Leaf. New Leaf was mostly for my sister, but I enjoy all of my 3DS games a lot.

I DID buy it for Smash, but it was not solely for Smash whereas the Wii U was.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
That doesn't really answer my question...
That's more because it ultimately depends on if you feel you need a bigger screen, the actual condition of the systems themselves (they could be scratched up, broken buttons, etc) and other such unknowns that would make creating a decision difficult.

I just can't see a 3DS system being sold for below $50 being all that well cared for..unless its only that cheap because a friend or family member is selling it to you.

If I had to choose between them though, I would go with either the Nintendo 3DS XL or the standard one that comes with Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon and New Super Mario Bros. 2, since they're not bad games.
You can purchase an SD Card and/or Stylus though other means and can just use a finger on the touch screen until you get a stylus. The SD Card is much more important though.

Last edited:

BlackAcidX

Smash Rookie
NNID
BlackAcidX
3DS FC
1332-9003-7116
Yes, I'll definitely be buying the 3DS version for this as well as the WiiU version of Smash4. Originally, I wasn't going to get the 3DS version and just wait it out till the release of it's WiiU counterpart, but a friend of mine is going to be buying it so I'll keep the guy company. As well as the fact that, when I saw the E3 videos of people playing Smash 4 on 3DS everyone was kind of disappointed about it, the controls just didn't feel right apparently, yet I still wanted get regardless.

Besides that, and being a Nintendo fanboy, I see no reason why no one shouldn't get both of them; freaking that the sucker on the go, and when you get home play it on your comfy couch lol.

Top Bottom