• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii U owners: Would you get an 3DS solely for Smash?

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys,

this is something I'm really starting to think about. I bought a Wii U primarily for Smash (and Mario Kart 8 / Zelda U). Seriously, I'm anticipating this game since its announcement and loving everything I know so far (like the beauty of HD, Gamecube Controller support, the stages, guessing that it will be packed with content). I already imagined doing a sick tournament with my best friends once I boot this up the very first time...

But now that the 3DS version is coming much earlier - I'm slowly considering to get a 3DS (XL) just for that game. Smash Run seems great and the Wifi connection seems to be quite decent, as you can see in the videos of the 3DS Tournament at Comic Con. I also think that while I might stand 3 weeks of avoiding spoilers (due to the Japanese release date), another two months are going to be damn hard. No, impossible. There might be even more delay time. And I love to be surprised, just like in the 64 days!

But yeah, it would be still another 200 bucks for this and I don't know if its worth it once the Wii U's out.

Is anybody in the same dilemma?

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
I'm in the opposite boat actually (have 3DS, don't have a U), but I would say it's worth getting a 3DS. There are great games for it besides Smash, and then you'll be able to Smash on the go. Definitely a worthwhile investment if you can afford it.

Of course, there are multiple ways and models to get the 3DS, so it could well come to less than $200 depending on how particular you are about what version you want.

Last edited:

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
Hey guys,

this is something I'm really starting to think about. I bought a Wii U primarily for Smash (and Mario Kart 8 / Zelda U). Seriously, I'm anticipating this game since its announcement and loving everything I know so far (like the beauty of HD, Gamecube Controller support, the stages, guessing that it will be packed with content). I already imagined doing a sick tournament with my best friends once I boot this up the very first time...

But now that the 3DS version is coming much earlier - so I'm slowly considering to get a 3DS (XL) just for that game. Smash Run seems great and the Wifi connection seems to be quite decent, as you can see in the videos of the 3DS Tournament at Comic Con. I also think that while I might stand 3 weeks of avoiding spoilers (due to the Japanese release date), another two months are going to be damn hard. No, impossible. There might be even more delay time. And I love to be surprised, just like in the 64 days!

But yeah, it would be still another 200 bucks for this and I don't know if its worth it once the Wii U's out.

Is anybody in the same dilemma?
I would buy a 3DS for Smash, but you should buy a 3DS anyway because of games like Fire Emblem Awakening, Super Mario 3D Land, Pokemon X and Y, Mario and Luigi Dream Team, and Bravely Default. There is still other good games I haven't mentioned.

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
I'm a WiiU owner and I love the system so far; and I ordered a 3DS just the other day and I'm currently waiting for the delivery. I say getting it would open the doors for smash sooner but there are so many other games on the 3DS that are worth owning. Heck I didn't even get my 3DS yet and I already bought Tomodachi Life XD

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Nope, but as a 3DS owner, I would never buy a Wii U solely for Smash Bros.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I have both 3DS and Wii U... and I definitely will buy both SSB4 3DS and SSB4 Wii U.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
(I have both systems) I think it depends on how you feel about possibly being out of the loop. Does it matter to you that everyone will be jumping straight into the game day 1 and learning everything about it, leaving you to read through every post here or catch up by playing yourself when the Wii U version comes out? If you don't mind that, then I personally wouldn't get a 3DS for the game (if I didn't already have one).

Other than that, you just have to think about the value of a handheld Smash. Do you see yourself taking a 3DS everywhere and playing Smash on the go?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I had two vanilla 3DS's, one of which my niece broke, the other can't charge/recently became expensive paperweights. Got my Wii U a little over 2 months ago, and just got a new XL bundle yesterday for $20 off standard XL price and with a free game.

So yeah, I'd say it's worth it. Especially if (and there's no way they won't) they release a Smash 3DS bundle.

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
(I have both systems) I think it depends on how you feel about possibly being out of the loop. Does it matter to you that everyone will be jumping straight into the game day 1 and learning everything about it, leaving you to read through every post here or catch up by playing yourself when the Wii U version comes out? If you don't mind that, then I personally wouldn't get a 3DS for the game (if I didn't already have one).

Other than that, you just have to think about the value of a handheld Smash. Do you see yourself taking a 3DS everywhere and playing Smash on the go?
I wouldn't say that I need to be on the same level as other players, there are no tournaments waiting for me :) And about the mobility, I think that I'll end up playing it at home the most, with some exceptions.

I could say that I basically just want to play this game till the Wii U version comes out... One option might be getting the 3DS on a special deal somewhere & selling it afterwards... the value isn't sinking too strong, is it (If, of course, I don't scratch & damage it)?

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I already have both systems, but I'd never buy a console or handheld for *1* game, nor even only a few.

I delayed getting my 3DS until the library beefed up. I still don't even have some of the games I want on it, but I am more than happy with the games I have, the ones that I still need to buy, and the ones that are coming out. SSB really played no part in my 3DS purchase. And I ended up getting it for only $120 anyway.

As for Wii U, again, delayed my purchase by a year and got it when games finally started coming, and because I only paid for half of it, post-price drop, and got TWW HD for free. Since then, I've gotten 3 other free games from Nintendo, and many games I wanted are out or coming out this year and next year.

I buy Nintendo systems for Zelda, SSB, Pokemon, Metroid & Luigi, but I love most of their franchises anyway, so as long as there are enough coming/out, it's justified for me.

YT123

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Olaf551
3DS FC
5069-4175-0996
I have both, but I don't know yet if I'm going to buy the 3DS version. My only concern is that the Wii U version might be less fun when you've already collected everything in the 3DS version. But if you can afford it I guess you could do it.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I wouldn't say that I need to be on the same level as other players, there are no tournaments waiting for me :) And about the mobility, I think that I'll end up playing it at home the most, with some exceptions.

I could say that I basically just want to play this game till the Wii U version comes out... One option might be getting the 3DS on a special deal somewhere & selling it afterwards... the value isn't sinking too strong, is it (If, of course, I don't scratch & damage it)?
You shouldn't sell it afterwards, there's tons of great games other than Smash.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Only have a Wii U and 3DS for Smash, its the only game on those consoles that i can play for a long long time due to fighting online and playing against people on this site.

I would never buy a console for 1 game, i wait for it to be cheap. I got the 3DS on Christmas and a Wii U on Christmas when it was cheap. Only game i play on the 3DS is pokemon, the Wii U is just collecting dust at this point Mario kart 8 was a disappointment.

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
Okay, which price point do you consider cheap? 150 bucks? I might also get some other games, but SSB's definately a system seller for me. There will so much to do! The only thing that speaks against it is the fact that I would've never considered this when the Wii U version came earlier...

BTW: I'm quite content with my Wii U. In terms of replay value, I only have MK8 (& maybe Rayman Legends), but I know that both MK8 & SSB will keep me on the go for a long time. My Wii proved that already to me. After a long time, the only games that kept me playing were MK & SSBB.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
The 3DS has so many great games that only getting it just for Smash4 is borderline absurd

Last edited:

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Okay, which price point do you consider cheap? 150 bucks? I might also get some other games, but SSB's definately a system seller for me. There will so much to do! The only thing that speaks against it is the fact that I would've never considered this when the Wii U version came earlier...

BTW: I'm quite content with my Wii U. In terms of replay value, I only have MK8 (& maybe Rayman Legends), but I know that both MK8 & SSB will keep me on the go for a long time. My Wii proved that already to me. After a long time, the only games that kept me playing were MK & SSBB.
You can get a refurbished 3DS XL for 135 dollars

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
But not in Europe, sadly :/ So it might be probably better to either wait for an incredibly good deal, or just go and get spoiled till the Wii U version comes out. One advantage is that the mechanics / new feel of the game would still be fresh when we're hitting Winter...

Last edited:

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
My three best Smash friends all got a 3DS in the last couple months just because of Smash

They've been playing Pokemon and Zelda as they wait.

I was an early adopter though, clutching that thing from the start dreaming about that magical October 2014 day

Sandfall

Stage Designer
It was the other way around. I got a 3DS as my main system and got a Wii U for Smash. While the 3DS's library is still fairly small, it does have some fantastic games that make it a solid purchase. The Wii U on the other hand pretty much has nothing. Yes, there are some good games (Mario Kart, Pikmin, etc.), but nothing that would make me want to go out and drop $300 on it. If it weren't for Smash 4, I would have been completely okay waiting for Zelda U to come out before getting one.

YoPoYo9100

Smash Apprentice
I already have a original 3DS, but I do plan on upgrading to an XL model mostly for Smash. So I guess?

When I bought my Wii U almost 2 years ago, Smash was the main reason I bought the console.

GeNo-BreaKer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeNo-BreaKer-01
3DS FC
1220-6182-2346
Why would anyone only with a Wii U get a 3DS just for Smash Bros? You would already get the better Wii U version in a latter date. Getting a 3DS for Fire Emblem and Pokemon is better than getting it just for a worse version of a game you'll already get.

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
I know what you mean... the console version is the real deal after all, but portable smash sounds great and we have a certainty when it arrives. Isn't this the home of like, the biggest Smash fans?

I expected far more fans to admit a tickle in their fingertips when looking at the upcoming 3DS release. Or is it the thing that most people already own the 3DS, having the reverse situation and no worries in the first place?

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
If I didn't already have a 3DS, I do not think Smash 4 3DS would be enough to warrant a purchase if I already have a Wii U. For me, the Wii U version will trump the 3DS version in terms of hours playing it.

However, the 3DS is a fantastic piece of hardware with a multitude of fantastic, original games. I'd highly recommend anyone to get it, Smash or no Smash.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
If I already had a Wii U and not a 3DS I wouldn't buy it.

However, when I buy I console I'm not buying it for one game. That's stupid even if it is Smash. But I usually get one game and one game only when buying a console simply because enough money has already been invested in the console. However, I get a console and buy games as they come out over time.

SuicidalYoshi

Smash Rookie
NNID
SirZeldaNerd
I have both, but if you you have one console and not the other, get the other not just for Smash 4. If you like what the 3DS has to offer (not just Smash), then its a solid deal. The platform has some great titles, including Pokemon, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Mario Kart, 3D Land, Zelda ALBW. And the system is cheaper than a console, but you are able to get games good enough to be on consoles on the go and cheaper.

D

Deleted member

There are tons of amazing titles for the 3DS, such as MK7, Pokémon X / Y, Super Mario 3D Land, A Link Between Worlds, Fire Emblem: Awakening, and so on. I got it at launch, so yeah. It's worth the purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
I bought a 3DS and Wii U both on day one. At the time of the 3DS release Smash 4 wasn't even announced. I have barely used my 3DS and have used my Wii U a bit but not as much as would like to. But the main reason for that is because of school. This is my last year of high school, so after this I will play them both a LOT. Especially when Smash releases :grin:

But to answer your question. Yes I would get a 3DS just for Smash.

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
They'll probably release a 3ds package just for smash, so you don't need to worry. It's well worth it since there are a lot of great games for the 3ds. Not just Smash. Pokemon, Fire Emblem Awakening, Link between worlds, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D, MK7, are all good games.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I'm buying a 2DS for Smash.
Later on I might check out the other fighters in the 3DS library like StreetFighter and BlazBlue.
I hate handhelds because multiplayer games aren't their strong suit, but the 3DS has alot of multiplayer games.

Last edited:

starbolt89

Smash Cadet
NNID
starbolt89
3DS FC
0860-4559-7031
i have a 3DS XL but if they make a Smash 3DS edition think i would get it maybe depends on what they have on it

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
I'm only buying a 3DSXL& SSB3DS if Banjo-Kazooie or King K. Rool is playable in the game. If they are not I can wait for the Wii U version. No other characters would get me excited enough to buy both versions. Though I will be buying a 3DSXL when Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is finally released.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I own both, and rest assured that I had great reason to get a 3DS.

However, if the only reason I wanted/needed one was for Super Smash Bros. that would be a very tough call. It's too tough for me to make because it simply isn't the reality. lol. The 3DS has many titles of interest to me, quite a few of which I haven't gotten around to picking up yet.

Sleepy_Icarus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarrKnight
3DS FC
4639-9220-1156
Solely for Smash? Nope. I'd personally need more than Smash to buy a Nintendo 3DS, and the same would go for the Wii U. However, since I already own both consoles, I already plan to get both. :happysheep:

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Psh.

I bought the Wii U solely for smash (along with the fact that I predicted that many good games would come out as well)

If it was the other way around, I'd definitely do it still.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I probably would if I had the money right now, and also for Kid Icarus Uprising as I really want to play that.

Top Bottom