• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Wii U is hackable - Will there be mods again?

Do you want a new Project M-kinda thing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dekonic
...except there IS good reason for it if Smash 4 ends up being too close to Brawl in terms of physics to the point where it isn't competitive anymore.,

Project M took the characters in Brawl and essentially made it what the entire competitive scene wanted Brawl to be. And guess what? It's still fun for casuals too! So yeah, if Smash 4 plays terribly (which I don't anticipate it being that way, but lots can happen between the demos and release), I would love to see a Project M 2.0.
I don't understand why a game has to be competitive for everyone to like it. We have Melee and PM. Those games aren't going anywhere. We all need to give Smash 4 the chance it deserves. If the game isn't competitive then go back to Melee/The PM we already have and take Smash as what its meant to be. A party game.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I feel it's insulting to Sakurai. He spends many years on a game, working through things like his hand problem, and fans just ignore all of his hard work and hack it.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
You're speculating Project M for a game not even out yet. Once the mechanics annoy you, then go ahead, hack it.

Just stop fanboying over Melee.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
No. I don't.
I figure since they constantly update PM anyway, if you want to play PM, then just play PM and don't make another one.

Oh, and this:
I think I speak for most when I say this. We don't hate Project M. We would just not want to see retreading on old territory when the game is still in its infancy.

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
you guys should not think that a project m for sm4sh is possible with just the mods in the video. no big-time wii u mods are out. maybe like one guy who spent forever trying has it, but nintendo would be on his ass faster than grass in a field if he tried to release it

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Hacking a game is fine, especially if you do it without encouraging privacy. Just like PM did.

Personally, I don't think a new PM for Smash 4 is necessary. While there is obviously the argument of making the Smash 4 newcomers playable in a Melee style game, I feel this sentiment is much less applicable to Smash 4 than it was for Brawl. Most of Brawl's newcomers benefited and fit into a Melee style game. These characters were mostly traditional close quarters characters, but Brawl limited them. Smash 4's newcomers, with the exception of WFT, Little Mac, and Greninja (who would be right at home in a Melee style setting), seem like they wouldn't benefit from stuff like wave dashing and L-cancelling, all those other nuances.

I've said it from the beginning - Smash 4 doesn't seem to have a clear "overall" feel. Instead, I feel characters represent different types of play. Greninja and WFT are fast and Melee-like. Mega Man and Villager seem more Brawl-like. Then Rosalina feels like neither, she has her own thing going on altogether. This also applies to how certain veterans are being tweaked.

So while I wouldn't hate the idea of making Smash 4: Melee Edition, I think it's completely unnecessary. I doubt the actual PM team wouldn't want to do it either. IMO, they seem like they could move on to make their own IP or something after PM. Seriously, if you can make a mod like PM, you have a lot of potential to make your own games.

viewtifulduck82

Smash Ace
NNID
Viewtifulduck82
3DS FC
4957-3557-2255
Never mind that Sakurai has done most of the balancing himself in the past games instead of a dedicated team for it.

A perfectly balanced game would indeed be boring. That would mean that everyone plays the same with the same exact stats.
This is confirmed false. He had a team in brawl, and another one in smash 4. He went solo on melee however.

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
I have mixed feelings about it.
On the one hand, PM is a great mod with a lot of effort put in.
On the other hand, I don't want the fanbase scattered over more versions of Smash.

Also, Sakurai himself puts a lot of work into SSB4, and it would be kinda bad if his work just ends up being a base for hacks.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
???
What is wrong with people working to make the game more pleasing to themselves? Sakurai can't please everyone, why not let people customize their experience to suit their needs?
Also, I thought you like Project M?
I LOVE Project M, but because it has separated itself further and further from being a Melee clone. What I hate: People thinking that Smash4 will need to be 'fixed'.
Sakurai's balancing philosophy, aka trying to balance both between FFA and 1v1, means that the game will inevitably have balance issues, it's just a flat out flawed way of doing it and explains the terrible balance of the series (Ganondorf and Meta Knight in Brawl being prime examples.) They should simply focus on 1v1s, there are too many things that factor into FFAs to balance anything around it, and even then it's never played seriously, it's just for fun. That and he has said that a perfectly balanced game isn't fun (how it isn't I dunno), so expect Sakurai to inject his bias into the game in that way too (Kirby and Pit were both two of the best characters in the demo too.)

And I wouldn't really consider Smash 4 to be some kind of holy deity, it's not going to be perfect at all anyways.
I would certainly consider Smash4 some kind of holy deity, it's the 4th game on the Smash Brothers series. Also, I don't think you're interpreting Sakurai's words the right way, he was trying to say that a game where every character plays pretty much the same with a few differences would be boring. PM has balance problems too, because it's impossible to achieve perfect balance, and I don't see why Sakurai's philosophy isn't working out, most characters on the demo seemed pretty even with each other, even Link and Samus are reported to be much better than all past Smash games, Mario's good now, the only character who seemed terribly underpowered on the demo was Zelda, and I'm pretty sure that word has already gotten to Sakurai.

The balance might not be perfect, but we have patches now and a bigger, more experienced team. If anything, there will be tiers, but they will feel much closer than before, I'm certain this game will have at least three times the amount of viable characters that Melee and Brawl had. At release, the game might not have perfect balance, but I'm pretty sure it will slowly turn more and more polished until we have a fully-viable cast.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Never mind that Sakurai has done most of the balancing himself in the past games instead of a dedicated team for it.

A perfectly balanced game would indeed be boring. That would mean that everyone plays the same with the same exact stats.
Brawl was balanced by a team of 4 people, this game is balanced by a team of 12. It doesn't really matter though because of the way they're doing it, it's just flawed.

And I'm not talking about character stats at all, that has little to do with the overall balance, I'm talking about certain characters not sucking and others not being overpowered, the way they're doing it we can't avoid another 20XX/MK metagame situation.

I would certainly consider Smash4 some kind of holy deity, it's the 4th game on the Smash Brothers series. Also, I don't think you're interpreting Sakurai's words the right way, he was trying to say that a game where every character plays pretty much the same with a few differences would be boring. PM has balance problems too, because it's impossible to achieve perfect balance, and I don't see why Sakurai's philosophy isn't working out, most characters on the demo seemed pretty even with each other, even Link and Samus are reported to be much better than all past Smash games, Mario's good now, the only character who seemed terribly underpowered on the demo was Zelda, and I'm pretty sure that word has already gotten to Sakurai.

The balance might not be perfect, but we have patches now and a bigger, more experienced team. If anything, there will be tiers, but they will feel much closer than before, I'm certain this game will have at least three times the amount of viable characters that Melee and Brawl had. At release, the game might not have perfect balance, but I'm pretty sure it will slowly turn more and more polished until we have a fully-viable cast.
I still wouldn't consider it some sort of sacred object, it's still just a game, especially Smash is almost made to be messed with. And no, he didn't say anything about playstyles in the blog, it was all about balancing characters to match up against each other and how they're gathering their data for it. There were also quite some unnecessary nerfs, like Fox and Marth, but of course they're far from done with the balancing.

As for patches, they can potentially stop another MK situation, but I doubt we're going to see good balance by fighting game standards anyways, alone based on their methods. Of course I could be totally wrong, and I really want to be, but I don't think there's much to be optimistic about given the series' history.

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Brawl was balanced by a team of 4 people, this game is balanced by a team of 12. It doesn't really matter though because of the way they're doing it, it's just flawed.

And I'm not talking about character stats at all, that has little to do with the overall balance, I'm talking about certain characters not sucking and others not being overpowered, the way they're doing it we can't avoid another 20XX/MK metagame situation.

I still wouldn't consider it some sort of sacred object, it's still just a game, especially Smash is almost made to be messed with. And no, he didn't say anything about playstyles in the blog, it was all about balancing characters to match up against each other and how they're gathering their data for it. There were also quite some unnecessary nerfs, like Fox and Marth, but of course they're far from done with the balancing.

As for patches, they can potentially stop another MK situation, but I doubt we're going to see good balance by fighting game standards anyways, alone based on their methods. Of course I could be totally wrong, and I really want to be, but I don't think there's much to be optimistic about given the series' history.
The fact that you're even thinking that a 20XX/MK's possible on this scenario under these conditions? Shrug off the negativity, man, this Smash game's the first one to have a direct focus on balance between characters, and they're collecting data from FFA AND 1vs1, so you don't have to be all gloom and doom, especially considering that Nintendo's pushing competitive Smash4 big time, with sponsoring EVO and stuff, I'm sure that if Sakurai's too stubborn to do anything, the higher ups will interfere.

God, seriously...STOP THE NEGATIVITY.

Last edited:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
If it's a simplistic mod like for music, pictures, skins, fonts, etc., then I'm ok with it. But I think it would be not worth the time with another Project M on a different game of a different console with more complexity. Not that it'll be hard, but just time-consuming than what is already on plate with Brawl.

Last edited:

Ragel

Smash Apprentice
I'm for it, but it shouldn't be the "goto". So far smash 4 looks promising to the point if it does get a melee hack, I'll probably play both versions.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Warning Received
Suckerai has proven he only knows how to please the casual consumer i'll glad take a new mod from the based PMBR.

Last edited:

VhatDeHel

Smash Apprentice
This. I never got why they made grabbing items on PM such a chore, it's extremely hard (Or not possible?) to grab items when they're flying through the air, and you can't dash-grab items, which honestly feels REALLY stupid, if you can grab PEOPLE while running, why not items? Also, bringing back Saffron City without anything of what made Saffron City...well...Saffron City, they should replace that crap with the balanced Spear Pillar mod, which actually has great aesthetics and it's actually a memorable location from the Pokemon series
You can just press the grab button (ie, Z on GC controller) to grab items in midair, or you can wavedash into them. I don't think it's that hard.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
Maybe we should all wait till we play the final build of the game before deciding to hack it or not...

D-idara

NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
You can just press the grab button (ie, Z on GC controller) to grab items in midair, or you can wavedash into them. I don't think it's that hard.
Why not let people grab items with the item-grabbing button? (A)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Geez, who knew the thread was going to turn into another of the Melee/Brawl/Project M hate threads? :rolleyes:

No, seriously if this topics treads too many times in that direction, it will get locked.

VhatDeHel

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand this line of thinking. The implication behind this is a mod that may fix what parts of the community deem as "shortcomings" of Smash 4. Of course, we would need time to see how competitive style gameplay of Smash 4 will be fleshed out, and I'm sure I will have fun with the game as a whole. Even if the movement may feel a bit clunky compared to Melee, as in, can't cancel dash into crouch, can't dashdance easily, can't conserve your momentum when you do a running jump, I think I will at the least be happy that the speed is faster than Brawl, and characters die earlier. My problem with how some of you guys are treating this is that you are saying "no there shouldn't be a Smash 4 PM!!!," but you are by no means forced to download any mods.....I guess your concern is that you think the mods may be become successful, and people will prefer them over the original game, which is like what has happened with Brawl and PM. You don't want the "vanilla Smash 4" community to die out so quickly. I can understand that, but be a bit open-minded......we'll see what happens. None of us are forced to just live with what we don't like about the game, we can voice our concerns or mod the game if we so desire. People who don't support that...don't have to...You can't stop people from doing that sort of thing, you just live with it/ignore it.

Last edited:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
I don't understand this line of thinking. The implication behind this is a mod that may fix what parts of the community deem as "shortcomings" of Smash 4. Of course, we would need time to see how competitive style gameplay of Smash 4 will be fleshed out, and I'm sure I will have fun with the game as a whole. Even if the movement may feel a bit clunky compared to Melee, as in, can't cancel dash into crouch, can't dashdance easily, can't conserve your momentum when you do a running jump, I think I will at the least be happy that the speed is faster than Brawl, and characters die earlier. My problem with how some of you guys are treating this is that you are saying "no there shouldn't be a Smash 4 PM!!!," but you are by no means forced to download any mods.....I guess your concern is that you think the mods may be become successful, and people will prefer them over the original game, which is like what has happened with Brawl and PM. You don't want the "vanilla Smash 4" community to die out so quickly. I can understand that, but be a bit open-minded......we'll see what happens. None of us are forced to just live with what we don't like about the game, we can voice our concerns or mod the game if we so desire. People who don't support that...don't have to...You can't stop people from doing that sort of thing, you just live with it/ignore it.
about being open minded i could say the same to people who keep asking for changes to smash 4 without learning the game fully and seeing how the meta develops before asking for said changes

VhatDeHel

Smash Apprentice
Why not let people grab items with the item-grabbing button? (A)
I think the thing is is that maybe the PM developers thought that it would make it a bit too easy to counter characters with item moves like Turnips and bananas if a character could just like, dash attack and grab it, or do an aerial and grab it, while ALSO attacking. In addition, it could be a bit disruptive even in like, casual matches. Maybe I want to go attack someone, but I end up grabbing an item I didn't want while attacking. Now instead of maybe following up, I'm thinking about getting rid of the item. It's like, if I wanted to grab the item, I'd just stand next to it and press A, or jump past it and press the grab button. Jumping and pressing grab makes grabbing items easy, and you also don't end up accidentally grabbing things with it, cause you can clearly choose to press it or not.

about being open minded i could say the same to people who keep asking for changes to smash 4 without learning the game fully and seeing how the meta develops before asking for said changes
That is a fair point. I think a main concern people have is not that it "won't play like Melee", but rather, movement options. I agree in that regard. I don't care much about Melee techniques if I can cancel my dashing with a crouch, run and jump while keeping my momentum, not have too much lag after aerials, etc. I want movement to feel non-restrictive. I want to feel free, and I want it to feel good playing the game. That is an area of focus that I think people would maybe want to mod if dissatisfied. You can of course adapt to it, and hopefully there are areas in the game that make up for the potential movement restrictions, but what I'm saying is that is the movement feels restricted, then there's not much you can do to it besides adapt, and hopefully, the game will make up for it in other areas. I don't want the game to heavily reward defensive play again like Brawl because I find that that is maybe fun to play but not very fun to watch at the very least.

Last edited:

Bobojack

Smash Apprentice
Geez, who knew the thread was going to turn into another of the Melee/Brawl/Project M hate threads? :rolleyes:

No, seriously if this topics treads too many times in that direction, it will get locked.
Where do you see PM/Melee/Brawl hate if I may ask? I only saw people complaining about another PM and that they are fine with the one existing. No one, except you, said something about Brawl/Melee/PM hate...Thank you for that. :facepalm:

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300

There is only one solution:

http://www.tr0ll.me/images/x-all-the-things/lock-all-the-threads-thumb.jpg (replace 0 with o)

On topic: I see nothing wrong with a game having mods. The people who are interested will get it, and the people who are not (or unaware) won't get it. How exactly does this affect the people not getting it again? Granted, Smash 4 is still a new game. I would like to wait and see how the game actually is first. And from what I have seen/played, no, it doesn't really need a mod to help make the game feel better. Because, from what little I had played, the game felt amazing. Does that mean I am opposed to mods though? Quite the opposite, actually. I love seeing what creative things that people make with certain games. I don't really think it is berating what Sakurai has worked on, but rather improving and building upon it (based upon the personal needs of the individual(s)). And even if I don't like a mod in particular, I really don't see how that should affect me in a personal level. It can still exist for the people that enjoy it, and I could simply ignore it.

tl;dr: Mods are fine, though for right now, I would like to play Smash 4 for what it is whenever it first comes out.

Last edited:

civson

Smash Rookie
In terms of retooled gameplay mechanics? No.
In terms of alternate costumes and giving clone characters a different feel? Yes.

I know Nintendo hates DLC, like everyone does, but having new characters and stages after the game was released would help prolong the life of the game considerably.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
That is a fair point. I think a main concern people have is not that it "won't play like Melee", but rather, movement options. I agree in that regard. I don't care much about Melee techniques if I can cancel my dashing with a crouch, run and jump while keeping my momentum, not have too much lag after aerials, etc. I want movement to feel non-restrictive. I want to feel free, and I want it to feel good playing the game. That is an area of focus that I think people would maybe want to mod if dissatisfied. You can of course adapt to it, and hopefully there are areas in the game that make up for the potential movement restrictions, but what I'm saying is that is the movement feels restricted, then there's not much you can do to it besides adapt, and hopefully, the game will make up for it in other areas. I don't want the game to heavily reward defensive play again like Brawl because I find that that is maybe fun to play but not very fun to watch at the very least.
But what about the people who like the defensive style of play, why should they not get to play the way they like to?

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
I feel it's insulting to Sakurai. He spends many years on a game, working through things like his hand problem, and fans just ignore all of his hard work and hack it.
Even though they have to buy the base copy? Even most of the top competitive players like Mango played Brawl when it came out (but not competively). Simple fact is the game wasn't made for this audience, so it was changed. It's not like they're completely upending the game to make it enjoyable period, or enjoyable for anything else for that matter. What does Little Timmy the Button Mashing Item Player care? Super Smash Bros. is intrinsically a game about customization and Project M carries the spirit of that better than the base copy does itself. I'd be proud people care about my series enough to work backwards through the crazy ass Wii hardware and OS in order to make fundamental changes to the game.

@VhatDelHal

According to video footage, people aren't dying that much earlier on average. Hitboxes are too small, characters are more agile than their most of their moves, and there are only low to mid percent combos and hardly any grab game or setup (like Marth's back throw set/base knockback is just hilariously far). We'll have to see a lot of changes to really warrant 4 stocks/8mins.

Anyway, you guys are going to see mods for the game regardless. There will never not be mods for popular games. I find it amusing, though, that Project M has (?) surpassed Brawl in competitive popularity.

But what about the people who like the defensive style of play, why should they not get to play the way they like to?
Those poor, poor people! [/melodrama] They can make their own mod if they really care, or, and here's a novel idea - they can just keep playing the base copy. :]

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
Ugh...no no no no no no no no no no

Mods some people use aren't worth the other crap that happens to everyone when consoles get hacked. Remember MKWii online? Piracy, etc.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Surprising to see so many hard-set opinions long before the game even comes out, and long before a P:M 2.0 would even be possible... I never realized how much hate there was for P:M until going through a few posts in this thread.

Don't forget: P:M was born of demand. Brawl has some significant issues that fans of Melee (and even some newcomers) found unacceptable. Tripping and low hitstun are the two biggest offenders. That doesn't make Brawl a bad game though! While it's perfectly acceptable for purists to claim "they are part of the game, so deal with it," it's also perfectly acceptable for others to feel a need for improvement. There's no need to hate P:M because you don't like it; Just don't play it.

As for P:M 2.0, again it comes back to demand - and right now, there is none. Nobody knows yet whether the new game will have balance issues or exploitable bugs. Nobody knows yet how attentive Nintendo will be to patching known issues.

The video in the OP shows some very basic hacks - it will be a few more years before reliable mods come to surface, and a lot can change in that time. There's no sense in forming a strong opinion over this right now, because there's plenty of time for something to come along and change your mind - so, try and keep it open!

Last edited:

R0Y

Smash Master
Even though they have to buy the base copy?
Many people won't support Sakurai, Nintendo, and the rest of the devs if piracy comes to Wii U. We see it with PC perpetually and with every console this happens to. I don't want it, and I don't believe everyone who played Project M bought Brawl.

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
...except there IS good reason for it if Smash 4 ends up being too close to Brawl in terms of physics to the point where it isn't competitive anymore.,

Project M took the characters in Brawl and essentially made it what the entire competitive scene wanted Brawl to be. And guess what? It's still fun for casuals too! So yeah, if Smash 4 plays terribly (which I don't anticipate it being that way, but lots can happen between the demos and release), I would love to see a Project M 2.0.
But you already have Project M. All any modders would be doing would be to do all over again the things they already did to Brawl, with only a few minor changes. Since this 'Project M 2.0' would be the same the all over again (IE Melee with different characters) it makes me wonder why people wouldn't just stick to the original.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Those poor, poor people! [/melodrama] They can make their own mod if they really care, or, and here's a novel idea - they can just keep playing the base copy. :]
or people could learn how the new game plays before calling for mods.

Dr. James Rustles

Daxinator
Many people won't support Sakurai, Nintendo, and the rest of the devs if piracy comes to Wii U. We see it with PC perpetually and with every console this happens to. I don't want it, and I don't believe everyone who played Project M bought Brawl.
That's too bad. That's the risk anyone knowingly takes these days when printing digital media. The problem isn't as severe as you think. I don't personally know anyone that plays/played Brawl that hasn't owned one or multiple copies of it.

@ Bladeviper Bladeviper No one is making or even asking you to play the mod to begin with. :] Try again next time, bud.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom