• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Wii U] Can I pick my teammate in 2v2 For Glory?

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
In the 50-fact video, it talks about playing 2v2 online, but it seemed to be in the For Fun context. Does anyone know whether For Glory will support 2v2 with 2 players on one Wii U? The 3DS version supports 2v2 For Glory, so I can't imagine the Wii U dropping it.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
I am 110 percent sure that they will have 2v2 in for glory. -_-

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I am 110 percent sure that they will have 2v2 in for glory. -_-
Proof? Screenshots? Link to Sakurai interviews? Anything?

I am inclined to agree with you, but I'm still bothered that the video opted to show 2v2 For Fun. I don't want 3DS style 2v2 For Glory where I am paired with a random teammate.

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
There is 2v2 For Glory in the 3DS version already. It makes no sense that the Wii U version will not have 2v2 For Glory mode.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
In the 50-fact video, it talks about playing 2v2 online, but it seemed to be in the For Fun context. Does anyone know whether For Glory will support 2v2 with 2 players on one Wii U? The 3DS version supports 2v2 For Glory, so I can't imagine the Wii U dropping it.
Well you could do it in Brawl to an extent, and it's on the 3DS version.

I doubt they removed it.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
its common sense.
Then it should be easy for you to find some proof of it. I'm not interested in your feelings on the matter. I'm asking if anyone knows for sure.

There is 2v2 For Glory in the 3DS version already. It makes no sense that the Wii U version will not have 2v2 For Glory mode.
That's not what I asked. In the 3DS version, I am involuntarily paired with a stranger for a teammate. I specifically asked about 2 players on the same Wii U. I want to be able to take a friend IRL into For Glory with me.

I edited the title to better reflect that.

Last edited:

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
Then it should be easy for you to find some proof of it. I'm not interested in your feelings on the matter. I'm asking if anyone knows for sure.

That's not what I asked. In the 3DS version, I am involuntarily paired with a stranger for a teammate. I specifically asked about 2 players on the same Wii U. I want to be able to take a friend IRL into For Glory with me.

Oh ok my bad. Forgot that they announced that 2 people can go online using the same Wii U. I think you can do it. I don't see why not. Nintendo made it seem that way using that feature.

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
Why would they remove 2v2 For Glory? I think we even saw screenshots of it. There also isn't any reason you couldn't go onto For Glory with two local players, not sure about two players on separate WiiUs though.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Why would they remove 2v2 For Glory? I think we even saw screenshots of it. There also isn't any reason you couldn't go onto For Glory with two local players, not sure about two players on separate WiiUs though.
Wii U version will have For Glory. That much we know.

I will be sad if 2v2 For Glory still pairs players with strangers for teammates. :(

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
it's amazing to me how many people didn't understand his question
o_o
I am also very hopeful TheBuzzSaw. It was a let down on the 3DS having it exclusively randos, but it's semi fun I guess. It'll just never go further than being either laggy or not well coordinated or interesting.

My guess is "tournament mode" will be the way to go for this. I hope at least.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
it's amazing to me how many people didn't understand his question
o_o
I am also very hopeful TheBuzzSaw. It was a let down on the 3DS having it exclusively randos, but it's semi fun I guess. It'll just never go further than being either laggy or not well coordinated or interesting.

My guess is "tournament mode" will be the way to go for this. I hope at least.
I clearly understood his question.

its not about my feelings one bit, "its common sense" for Nintendo to allow you to pair up in for glory if it has it in for fun.

let me ask you this, why do you think they wouldn't allow you to pair up with REAL LIFE FRIENDS in for glory?

The 3DS version supports 2v2 For Glory, so I can't imagine the Wii U dropping it.
look even you agree that It would be just straight up dumb to not be able to pair up in both modes.

Example: you don't need proof for captain falcon to come back, all you need to know its common sense for him to come back because his the original 12.

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
its not about my feelings one bit, "its common sense" for Nintendo to allow you to pair up in for glory if it has it in for fun.

let me ask you this, why do you think they wouldn't allow you to pair up with REAL LIFE FRIENDS in for glory?
Because the 3DS did not allow that. So there is precedence. It is fine for you to express that you think it is oh-so-obvious that it will be there, but as the creator of the thread, I'm trying to tell you that that isn't good enough for me. I'm not going to drop the discussion just because "MAGMIS told me it was common sense". I'm still very interested in video, screenshots, etc. from people trying the game at press events. If you're not going to contribute to that... leave? Please?

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Simply, the "common sense" is lost when the option is not available to us in the 3DS when "common sense" dictated it could have easily been. Therefore I'm not sure of anything, and that's the safest vantage point for an opinion about this topic. Simple enough, I'd be glad to know as well in a more accurate less "on a hunch" manner. Because my assumption left me a bit high and dry already once.

And frankly, nothing about your response was clear that you understood... it was sarcastic and assuming. Even if you end up being correct, it was not a helpful stance you've taken. "Common sense" and smug smilies are borderline rude in this context, with little to no actual detail or helpful information considering what facts we actually have to work with currently, which seem to dictate the opposite anyway.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
No one knows for sure, but most likely yes. Question, does the 3ds version allows to play along with a friend in 2vs2 For Fun? If not, then the fact that the Wii U version does should be enough to assume that it will also be allowed in For Glory 2vs2. I know you don't want common sense as an answer, but there's no reason as to why it shouldn't be allowed.

Last edited:

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
I'm fine with this take on it :D
At least it's a fair delivery. It became harder for me in this thread the more I read the other responses who didn't fully understand the question to accept that alone, but if that's really all we have to go by then that's that. Proper communication does wonders. Time will tell

otter

Smash Ace
I'd like to know if two players can play doubles from the same console in For Glory.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
Because the 3DS did not allow that. So there is precedence. It is fine for you to express that you think it is oh-so-obvious that it will be there, but as the creator of the thread, I'm trying to tell you that that isn't good enough for me. I'm not going to drop the discussion just because "MAGMIS told me it was common sense". I'm still very interested in video, screenshots, etc. from people trying the game at press events. If you're not going to contribute to that... leave? Please?
ok there's the confusion then, I seriously thought you were trolling, I don't have a 3ds, so I don't know exactly the modes that are on there, but i thought u mentioned that the 3ds has one. That's why I said "common sense" because why would they take it off in the console version. I don't see where u mentioned that in your first post though?

Anyways,

I AM VERY SORRY bud <3.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Fair enough from your perspective. still a bit of an assumption, but I see where you came from not having the game, but then you did take it to 110%... that's a lot of '%' for not having the game!

props for defusing and the apology though.

Oh well the consensus so far is, it's more than likely. But unless someone has hard evidence... it's fine, we'll soon find out :D

just not nearly soon enough.... D:

iLLuMinati_EYE

Smash Apprentice
yes you can play 2v2 for glory on the same console, it sucks that nintendo lacks an invite friend system in the year 2014 but as someone mentioned in a post tournament mode 2v2's will be more viable. Another nitpick i have about online is not being able to set it to a specific region to avoid the most lag as possible amiright

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
There are two sides to my question now. While I am primarily interested in choosing a teammate locally, I am also interested in choosing my teammate online. I would still much rather connect with a friend to form a team than be assigned a random stranger.

otter

Smash Ace
There are two sides to my question now. While I am primarily interested in choosing a teammate locally, I am also interested in choosing my teammate online. I would still much rather connect with a friend to form a team than be assigned a random stranger.
local is all I am interested in. the is no realistic way to make four connections playable wii U.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
If anyone still doesn't understand, OP was asking if he will be able to play with his friend on the same Wii U as a teammate in For Glory Team Battles instead of having to have a randomly picked online teammate. We know this applies for For Fun because this was stated in the Direct, but OP was asking if it will be possible in For Glory as well.

Anyway, I personally think it's about 99% certain, as if you can do it in For Fun it seems very likely that you could do it in For Glory as well. So you might as well assume yes, despite a lack of confirmation.

MAGMIS

Smash Journeyman
If anyone still doesn't understand, OP was asking if he will be able to play with his friend on the same Wii U as a teammate in For Glory Team Battles instead of having to have a randomly picked online teammate. We know this applies for For Fun because this was stated in the Direct, but OP was asking if it will be possible in For Glory as well.

Anyway, I personally think it's about 99% certain, as if you can do it in For Fun it seems very likely that you could do it in For Glory as well. So you might as well assume yes, despite a lack of confirmation.
I also gave that answer, but he replied saying the issue is the 3ds doesn't have it. Which is really wierd for me, why would nintendo not let you team up with a friend in for glory mode on the 3ds, when they have it on for fun mode.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
I also gave that answer, but he replied saying the issue is the 3ds doesn't have it. Which is really wierd for me, why would nintendo not let you team up with a friend in for glory mode on the 3ds, when they have it on for fun mode.
They don't have it in For Fun or For Glory mode on the 3DS. You simply can't team up with a friend when playing With Anyone on the 3DS.

Also, it's a lot more efficient to have two people on the same Wii U to team up than seperate consoles, which is probably why you can on the Wii U.

Megaman36

Smash Cadet
NNID
Megaman36
3DS FC
0473-7900-4411
When it comes to local co-op online, I wanna say that you can for sure have two people local go online for 2v2 on For Fun, as for For Glory I don't think you can. I'm going to be getting the game in 4 or so hours so I can find out for sure if someone doesn't give you an answer sooner.

Edit: You can online local co-op both For Fun and For Glory team battles, as for teaming up online with a friend...I don't know, sorry.

Last edited:

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I would like it if For Glory 2v2 had team attack on.

I get why it's not on: wouldn't want a random beating up their teammate on purpose (like with Halo betrayals). However, if you can play with a friend, it would be nice to have the option of 2v2 with team attack on against others who are playing online together.

Top Bottom