• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wifi means Nothing

Uffe

Smash Hero
If this is in the wrong part of the message board, please move it elsewhere and please PM me so I know where it went.

Okay, so this topic might be in the wrong spot and I wasn't sure where to put this so I put it in the General Brawl Discussion. So there is some talk about how playing online proves nothing. Now I agree with this in some ways. However what do you say when you lose against someone with a green icon a lot where you feel absolutely nothing during the match? Does that mean they're better than you in real life? I mean if they're winning in that match, clear of lag and you keep losing, then what? I can understand how slight lag screws us up, but I'm talking about a fight that is pretty much lag free.

This is in no way a debate. So don't come in here trying to say, "You're wrong, Uffe," because at this point I'm pretty much neutral. So if someone starts flaming someone else just because they don't agree with that person, that debate is on you. All I'm asking is if you're clear of lag, good signal and all and you keep losing to your opponent, wouldn't that mean they're good in offline competitions?

The reason I'm asking this is mainly because I've lost against really good players and at the same time I'm pretty good myself. Some more worth mentioning than others however since there were some with lag and some without. One thing is for sure, I SD online frequent than I'd actually do offline. Online is like 1/10 chances while offline is like 1/100 chances. That's just one of the many things I've noticed about wifi.

Darkurai

Smash Master
Wi-Fi will lag one way or another. With a fighting game, it's unavoidable. There is simply always lag of some kind at some point.

chinkpak

Smash Rookie
So...adapt, change your game so you focus more on staying on the map, and you won't have to worry about SD'ing

Uffe

Smash Hero
So...adapt, change your game so you focus more on staying on the map, and you won't have to worry about SD'ing
I know how to play the game. I admit if I SD it's pretty much my fault. Online however is a different story. Anyway, Darkurai, I've got a question. This question is actually for anyone I guess. Say you have really good connection on wifi and the other guy has okay connection. Will you feel any of the lag he brings in? Or will he only suffer lag because of his connection? Because there have been some fights where some people said to me, "I lost because there was lag," and in my mind I'd be asking, "lag? I didn't feel any." Just thought I'd go ahead and ask that.

To the people who posted, I have no doubts in what you're saying, other than chinkpak's first response to me. :laugh: No offense, man, I'm just saying that I can stay on the stage. :p

Zodiac

Smash Master
I once fought against a guy who consistantly insisted that there was no lag when we fought on wifi. he was just so used to it that he really didnt notice. Wifi really doesnt mean anything, everyone knows it.

MajorasMask999

Smash Apprentice
I know how to play the game. I admit if I SD it's pretty much my fault. Online however is a different story. Anyway, Darkurai, I've got a question. This question is actually for anyone I guess. Say you have really good connection on wifi and the other guy has okay connection. Will you feel any of the lag he brings in? Or will he only suffer lag because of his connection? Because there have been some fights where some people said to me, "I lost because there was lag," and in my mind I'd be asking, "lag? I didn't feel any." Just thought I'd go ahead and ask that.

To the people who posted, I have no doubts in what you're saying, other than chinkpak's first response to me. :laugh: No offense, man, I'm just saying that I can stay on the stage. :p
Depends. Sometimes there's lag that causes the framerate to drop and pause every now and then. If that happens then it's happening for both people.

But other times you can have input lag and have the game running smoothly. When that happens it could just be happening on your end. Like, I remember one time I was Brawling with a friend online and there was almost a one second delay from the time I pushed the button to when the character did the action (unbearable ;_; ), but the match was running along smoothly. Afterwards when I was talking to him I mentioned the lag and he said he didn't have any lag at all :3.

Unless I'm just crazy and got my facts mixed up :x

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
actaully wifi is great for practice, i went from a newb to really good by playing online, i mean, it does feel different offline than online a little but i always play online and the one time i went to an important offline event(tournament) i got 11th out of 39 so you cant say it proves nothing, it just is someones skill cut in a 5th online or people who are more used to online there skill reduced by a fifth offline

dont flame me this is just my opinion on this matter

Uffe

Smash Hero
Yes! Thanks for the input Zodiac and MajorasMask999! I wasn't sure if it was just me getting those excuses. Online is auto-johns anyway as some have already stated in another topic. But yeah, knowing this kind of proves that wifi really isn't that great for competitive matches but more for practice. So thank you guys for helping me out.

The Dinkoman

Smash Lord
err...

You've been a member since JUNE?! AAAAAAND already an apprentice?!

Anyways, Green icon? I've played with lots of people with red and orange and there was ABSOLUTELY no lag.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
If this is in the wrong part of the message board...yadda yadda rant whine whine blah blah blah
Then it probably is...why do people always start out with this when the post something like this?

Anyway, I have very low lag matches most of the time, if your lag is unbearable, you might need an internet connection above 56kbps...or anything that isn't in Megabytes( or better), cause 56kbps is crap, which means it is your fault for lag, cause you have a crappy connection(unlike my uber connection), so quit complaining about lag and get an uber connection(cause that is the kind you should have for online games).

Other than a solvable lag problem, online is a welcome feature, yet it did not make as triumphant an entry into the saga as wished.

Lord Ba'al

Smash Rookie
The Wifi's lag can get rather annoying at times, but we just have to deal with it. I'm one of those people who has adapted to the lag pretty well, and I tend to not notice it after a while. Uffe, perhaps you should just focus on the battle itself rather than the lag. Maybe over time it wont seem as bad to you.

Top Bottom