• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why YOU should main a low-tier character

TheMarthRunner

Smash Cadet
NNID
reallemon

Why You Should Main a Low Tier Character

In the Super Smash Brothers series, a player often wonders who they should pick as the character they want to master and develop skills as. This process is known as “choosing a main”. When picking a main, players often refer to a tier list, which is a ranking of the game’s characters from most viable to least viable. These tier lists can be very beneficial in learning more about the game, but so often a player will look at this list and limit themselves to the top-tier characters. This essay will help you, as a player realize that not only do you need to treat tier lists as gospel, but you may be better off ignoring them all together.

Freedom

If I think back to a decade and a half ago when I first picked up a brand new copy of Super Smash Brothers: Melee- which I will focus primarily on because I am more knowledgeable about this version than the others- I can vaguely remember my process of choosing a character. It had nothing to do with an arbitrary list put together by strangers, it had everything to do with playing the characters I genuinely liked. I would choose Young Link because he reminded me of Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, one of my favorite games. I might also choose Donkey Kong because he was a giant ape with his own theme song and a super-charged death punch. I was not thinking about frame data. Part of me wishes I could mentally go back to these days. Playing Smash Brothers should not just be about winning. It should be a celebration of your favorite Nintendo characters. It should be about having fun.

From a tactical perspective, you are much more likely to practice and improve when playing a character you find fascinating than you are when playing a character you are simply not interested in. If you pick your favorite character, regardless of how other people feel about them, and exploit ever gimmick and combo they might have, you can show people why the character you main is viable and should not be ignored. Now, if your favorite character is Fox, Marth or some other high-tier, power to you, but for many people, their favorite character isnt anywhere impressive on the tier list, which is why you ought to ignore the tiers when you are starting out. This is exactly what professional Smash player, Amsa, did.

Amsa, real name Masaya Chikamot, is a Yoshi main from Japan. Originally, Yoshi was placed fairly low on the tier list, but Amsa changed all of that in the Smash tournament, Evo 2013. Chikamot had been working for years developing his favorite character, Yoshi, from a joke of a main into a tournament-viable character. Amsa had developed techniques with Yoshi that were hardly ever known to the competitive Smash scene, such as parrying. He took everyone by surprise when he started beating some of the best players as a low-tier. He even took a game off of Mew2King, one of the top five best players in the world. The best part is that if you look at any of Amsa’s matches, he has a huge, energetic smile across his face. The man is having a blast! He didn’t listen to the tiers, he just had fun playing as his favorite character.

Support

If you go to any Melee tournament Fox, Falco, Marth, Peach, Captain Falcon and Sheik tend to dominate a large portion of a player’s character selection while middle or bottom-tier characters such as Doctor Mario, Luigi, Ganondorf, Bowser, Donkey Kong tend to be ignored. This is a tragic waste of the game’s roster, but when one of these lower tier characters are picked, they player who picked them will often win over the crowd of people watching. It’s always interesting to watch two top-tier Fox’s fighting it out, but it is riviting when a low tier comes into the situation. People love an underdog and people love to see their game’s competitive scene develop. People want the low tier to win. When you pick a low tier, you will often find that people are willing to help you out. They are often willing to give you general pointers or just give you some practice. The crowd has more fun when you play a low-tier. Go look at any of Bizzaro Flame’s matches. Bizzaro Flame is a Ganondorf main who focus a lot on flashy moves and combos with his character. People love him because he isn’t supposed to win, but somehow he does anyway. If you want to have the crowd love you, pick a low tier.

Recognition

Now, recognition is not important to many Smashers, but to some it is. Especially if you are trying to get sponsored. I briefly mentioned it earlier, but if you are just another top-tier main, you had better be the very best out there, otherwise you are forgettable. However, when you pick a less common character, you stick out! You are fun to watch and people remember you! It is much easier to remember “The Donkey Kong master that played fairly well” than it would be to remember “The Fox player that played alright”. Even if you win more games when you play a top-tier, you are less likely to stick out.

This is not to say that playing a low-tier will be easy. It will take lots of work and you will really have to nail down your fundamentals. If you play your character poorly, it will only reinforce the notion that it is a bad character choice. You will not only have to play well, you will have to be better at the game at its core than your opponent. It will take arduous work and training, but once you begin playing well, people will start to notice you.

Tier Lists Change

Since the release of Melee, there have been 14 different tier lists. These lists are not concrete and should not be treated as doctrine. The purpose of tier lists are to give a general idea of which characters would be best if played by players of the exact same skill level as one another. Yoshi, as used in my previous example, has jumped up ten slots on the tier list since the game’s initial release. You can control the tier list by discovering new ways to use your character that no one has ever exploited.

Tactical Advantage

While it may seem counterintuitive to think that choosing a worse character could actually give you an advantage, that is the case in many situations. First of all, most players aren’t familiar with the matchups of their character with a low tier. You will sometimes have several matched before they can adapt to a new character matchup, and often by that time it is too late and you have already won. This unfamiliarity with you character won't last very long though and, as such, should not be depended on.

Another advantage a low tier main can give is that of reinforcing your fundamentals. Timing, directional influence and reading your opponent are all things that you really need to fine tune if you are going to be successful as a Smash player. When you pick a low-tier, you are forced to rely on these basics for a lot of your matches. Melee Bowser just doesn’t have the tools needed to keep up with Fox and Falco. In order to win your matches you need to get into the heads of your opponents and predict their actions. When you play a top-tier character, this is important, but you also have bread and butter combos that you can fall back on if you need it. Back when I mained Marth, I had fallen in the habit of throwing out random forward airs, hoping they would connect and then try to perform a Ken Combo. This is okay, if you are thinking of the fundamentals as well. For me, I was not able to slow myself down and really get a grasp on the game until I switched my main to Ganondorf. Now, because of the extra effort I have needed in order to succeed as Ganon, my Marth and other characters are better because I really worked on those basics. This is not to say that switching to a low-tier will solve all of your problems, but in my case, it helped a lot.

A Word of Caution

While playing your favorite character is fun, just remember that if you want to excel as your character, then you as your player need to put in the work. Amsa and Bizzaro Flame didn’t get to where they are today by sitting around and complaining about how their character wasn’t great. They sucked it up, buckled down and got to work. This holds true for you as well. Remember that as you practice with your low-tier Mewtwo, there is a top-tier practicing Fox just as hard. When it comes down to it, you need to be the better player that playing a low-tier forces you to be. You will get bodied a lot and you will lose a lot of matches, but when you do win there isn’t anything quite like that warm fuzzy feeling you get when you embarrass a top level player as Donkey Kong. So choose your favorite character to main, not the top of the tier list. Work hard, train hard and show the Smash community what low-tiers can do.

SAUS

Smash Ace
I just want to point that, from what I've seen, being a low tier and not good is not very fun. You will have less access to people who know your character, less tutorial videos, and you will always have that nagging in the back of your head telling you that your character sucks and is holding you back. If it's not in your own head, many (definitely not all) players will tell you so. Even if not verbally, they will try to by picking characters like Shiek to try to get the easy win and make you feel bad.

The crowd will be behind your back when you are performing well, but if you don't get into a spotlight (far in bracket at bigger tournaments), no one will see you. There are definitely players who don't want to see low tiers because they think they are boring - especially when it is not high level players playing.

IMO, tier lists are a waste of time. Lower level players get too easily distracted by them, and when you get better, you are likely to start ignoring or even disagreeing with the tier list. It doesn't tell you how to play the game and you are not thinking "I am disadvantaged in this matchup" when you are playing because it doesn't matter. If you are thinking about tier lists while playing a competitive match, I guarantee you are doing it wrong.

A variety of 8 among the tournament viables is plenty for most players to find 1 that fits them. Viables are more fun because they can reliably do things instead of getting out charactered. The hidden strength of low tiers is the opponents' unfamiliarity against them. But when they're familiar, it's gone. This will happen most often at locals. At bigger events, where players travel outside their local areas to compete, you'll have more people to surprise for 1-3 days. Top tiers can have a relative advantage of unfamiliarity too. Sometimes opponents are simply just bad vs certain characters. Ice Climbers are rarely played enough for others do understand how to fight them through practice

Being a pioneer/innovator for a nonviable character seems like a really cool dream, but it's a dream that only some can fulfill. This isn't the same as saying it's impossible. It's simply so much more difficult than playing well as a viable. Even competing with viables are very difficult. Not many among the top X use nonviables, especially not the gods

It's really up to the player to decide who they want to play as. They can look at the tier list for some guidance on who's good or they could ignore it. Player preference has a significant effect too. If only tier lists mattered, everyone would only main Fox

Synnett

Alligator Lord
Even if not verbally, they will try to by picking characters like Shiek to try to get the easy win and make you feel bad.
At the first tournament I went, I was playing friendlies and some guy beside me insulted me, just like that. Luckily for me it strengthened my desire to be a good Bowser, but it was quite disheartening.

And yep, I can confirm, a bunch of people will switch to shiek and laugh at you if you play a low/mid tier. Or in my case Jigglypuff but they just die and never land a rest of the game.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Personally I love Mewtwo but I absolutely hate playing as him because he's garbage. It's hard for me to play for fun when my character is awful and I have a heavily reduced chance of winning.

I don't care about Star Fox whatsoever, but I love playing Fox. I get much more enjoyment out of competing with a character that can hold its own than I do from playing a character that I think is cool.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
Playing Smash Brothers should not just be about winning. It should be a celebration of your favorite Nintendo characters. It should be about having fun.

What if somebody finds all his fun from winning?

From a tactical perspective, you are much more likely to practice and improve when playing a character you find fascinating than you are when playing a character you are simply not interested in.

Your criteria are not the same as everyone's.

Originally, Yoshi was placed fairly low on the tier list, but Amsa changed all of that in the Smash tournament, Evo 2013.

Yoshi wasn't considered bad, he was just considered extremely hard to use at a professional level and had little representation. Nobody seems to remember Vectorman, which is unfortunate...

Support

If you go to any Melee tournament Fox, Falco, Marth, Peach, Captain Falcon and Sheik tend to dominate a large portion of a player’s character selection

Many people hate low tiers for reasons already stated.

Recognition

Now, recognition is not important to many Smashers, but to some it is. Especially if you are trying to get sponsored.

Sponsors also like people who place well in tournaments. #FalconIsn'tViable

This is not to say that playing a low-tier will be easy. It will take lots of work and you will really have to nail down your fundamentals. If you play your character poorly, it will only reinforce the notion that it is a bad character choice. You will not only have to play well, you will have to be better at the game at its core than your opponent. It will take arduous work and training, but once you begin playing well, people will start to notice you.

People are more likely to notice you if you get good results, which are WAY harder to get with terrible characters, as you said.

Tier Lists Change

Since the release of Melee, there have been 14 different tier lists. These lists are not concrete and should not be treated as doctrine. The purpose of tier lists are to give a general idea of which characters would be best if played by players of the exact same skill level as one another. Yoshi, as used in my previous example, has jumped up ten slots on the tier list since the game’s initial release. You can control the tier list by discovering new ways to use your character that no one has ever exploited.

It's been over 14 years since Melee was released. Nearly all meaningful techniques have been found. The metagame will continue to evolve. Low tiers' strategies will advance too, but they won't suddenly become viable. Yoshi was an exception because of his extreme tech skill requirement.

Tactical Advantage

While it may seem counterintuitive to think that choosing a worse character could actually give you an advantage, that is the case in many situations. First of all, most players aren’t familiar with the matchups of their character with a low tier. You will sometimes have several matched before they can adapt to a new character matchup, and often by that time it is too late and you have already won. This unfamiliarity with you character won't last very long though and, as such, should not be depended on.

This unfamiliarity with you character won't last very long though and, as such, should not be depended on.

Another advantage a low tier main can give is that of reinforcing your fundamentals. Timing, directional influence and reading your opponent are all things that you really need to fine tune if you are going to be successful as a Smash player. When you pick a low-tier, you are forced to rely on these basics for a lot of your matches. Melee Bowser just doesn’t have the tools needed to keep up with Fox and Falco. In order to win your matches you need to get into the heads of your opponents and predict their actions. When you play a top-tier character, this is important, but you also have bread and butter combos that you can fall back on if you need it. Back when I mained Marth, I had fallen in the habit of throwing out random forward airs, hoping they would connect and then try to perform a Ken Combo. This is okay, if you are thinking of the fundamentals as well. For me, I was not able to slow myself down and really get a grasp on the game until I switched my main to Ganondorf. Now, because of the extra effort I have needed in order to succeed as Ganon, my Marth and other characters are better because I really worked on those basics. This is not to say that switching to a low-tier will solve all of your problems, but in my case, it helped a lot.

Playing a character with more options will allow players to learn how to use different options for different situations more than a character with less options. Skill growth can occur regardless of character, but shooting yourself in the foot so you learn how to hop better won't make you stronger.

A Word of Caution

While playing your favorite character is fun, just remember that if you want to excel as your character, then you as your player need to put in the work. Amsa and Bizzaro Flame didn’t get to where they are today by sitting around and complaining about how their character wasn’t great. They sucked it up, buckled down and got to work. This holds true for you as well. Remember that as you practice with your low-tier Mewtwo, there is a top-tier practicing Fox just as hard. When it comes down to it, you need to be the better player that playing a low-tier forces you to be. You will get bodied a lot and you will lose a lot of matches, but when you do win there isn’t anything quite like that warm fuzzy feeling you get when you embarrass a top level player as Donkey Kong. So choose your favorite character to main, not the top of the tier list. Work hard, train hard and show the Smash community what low-tiers can do.

This essay could use some work.

Squire

Smash Apprentice
Speaking from experience, if you main a low tier for any reason other than just plain old enjoying the way the character handles, you're going to have a bad time. Don't pick the worst character you can find and say "I'm going to be the best _____ in all of _____" just for the recognition. You're going to find the game frustrating as all hell. Play the character you like to play. If it happens to be a low tier, that's fantastic and everyone should support that. But don't play the low tier to be a special snowflake so all your friends will say "Wow. I can't believe he's playing Game & Watch instead of Marth. What a champion."

There's a reason there are so few good low tier players. It requires determination and a lot of unexplained loyalty to a character on a screen. It's a real uphill battle, and you get a lot of looks from people. Most people think I'm either really new or I'm trying to BM them, but really I just like Mario.

TuukkaTime

Smash Cadet
NNID
OmegaLesPaul
Totally agree to just pick who you enjoy playing. When people ask why I play YL that's the exact reason why - imo he's just the most fun character on the roster.

Additionally though, a nice benefit not mentioned is that you can actually benefit your local community. So many good players get destroyed by Samus/Yoshi/Pika/etc. because they're uncommon enough where you probably won't face them in your local scene, but common enough and good enough where when you face one in a decent tourney without MU experience you're screwed. In some sense you actually give back to your scene by preparing them with your weird af main choice. I don't think anyone should choose a main this way, but it certainly does make you feel better for maining a garbage char.

Last edited:

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Yoshi wasn't considered bad, he was just considered extremely hard to use at a professional level and had little representation. Nobody seems to remember Vectorman, which is unfortunate...

Thank you for the shoutout...however sadly, this game is in a day and age, where many players are overlooked...or forgotten...I'm one example of MANY and I'm certain more to come, and honestly it's ok. It's always been like this for me. =p

People are into the "here and now" People's memories are fickle...One week "X player can be your favorite player. Next week jump ship...it's simply the way it is..Whether it's considered a bandwagon or change of heart or even to just fit in, there are countless reasons, and I don't necessarily fault one side more than another...some people simply don't know.

You'll hear it all the time even with top players...They do well, and they're loved, they drop a few sets, doubt and people will even forget...or even worst case no longer a fan of "said player"

Though "highly unlikely" but if another Pikachu/Yoshi player came around and started winning some majors/placing consistently for a few years..though Axe is known, some would jump ship, some would even forget..more likely the newer generation of players, but still...even an old player like me, would likely gain some recognition back, or even take a few fans away from another...
Though it's unfortunate, there's also a unique sense of beauty to it that's hard for me to explain...but I think of it similarly as "passing of a torch"

I mean after all we'd all want our children to be more successful than ourselves right? =)

Sadly many players get lost...it won't be the first time, or the last...Memories are fickle...it's unfortunate? Perhaps in terms of history of the game...but ultimately people have their favorites...and I think that's fine too..

=)

Last edited:
Top Bottom