• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Rollout is a good move/crap move ( debate )

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
It's just a situational, mostly mediocre move. You can mix in some tricks with it to make yourself more unpredictable and throw it in once in a while to confuse your opponent but for the most part you want to use it sparingly at best. Now, 2v2 is a different story; the move becomes almost legitimate depending on your teammate and opponents, and can certainly help with map control and team unpredictability.

The only semi-practical uses I can think of it in singles matches are for recovery against certain characters and canceling to edgehog, but that takes rather precise timing and I think you can only do it on the third turn? Not positive though.

HiddenBowser

Smash Master
The only semi-practical uses I can think of it in singles matches are for recovery against certain characters and canceling to edgehog, but that takes rather precise timing and I think you can only do it on the third turn? Not positive though.
Its really easy to learn the timing and spacing for edge canceling it.

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
Hm, I'll have to mess with it a bit more then. And just for clarification because I'm rereading my post and realizing it sounded like I was referring to one use, you realize I'm not talking about just shooting into the edge from off the map, right? The second part was about canceling during the turn animation while at the very edge to fall into edgehog. You probably do, but just covering my bases.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
uncharged you can automatically grab the edge at any turn just lightly tap towards the edge so you'll roll off and JP should automatically cancel and grab the ledge.

tEhrXXz0r

Smash Journeyman
Neat find, but situational at best... I guess I could see it as a mindgame when they're trying to get back onto the stage and when they see you are charging Rollout, they go for the ledge. That's when you would hug the ledge via Rollout and laugh at their foolishness.

Rollout hug, anyone? lol

But seriously, very situational.

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
Neat find, but situational at best... I guess I could see it as a mindgame when they're trying to get back onto the stage and when they see you are charging Rollout, they go for the ledge. That's when you would hug the ledge via Rollout and laugh at their foolishness.

Rollout hug, anyone? lol

But seriously, very situational.
I was thinking of it more along the lines of making rollout more unpunishable for those who use it more often during their matches. Also wouldn't be too bad if you fsmash them across the map and just want to get across asap, but this would only really work if it can happen during the first turn like it does during that third one.

Rollout Hug or Rollhugging sounds good to me. I still vote for Pasqual Canceling though ;)

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Oh, nice. I've done that by accident before, but now that I think of it, it has a use for reducing cool down lag. In melee, that meant death, so I tried to avoid doing that in the past out of instinct.

But really, you can hit someone with rollout. It's just dumb to start doing it from standing position. As people have mentioned earlier, jump to half charged rollout can work. Personally, I like using it when I'm hit to one of the top corners of the screen. This works first as a recovery to get back on the stage, and also can actually hit your opponent, especially if you switch it up. Like if they've learned to jump to a platform on battlefield, let go early and land on the platform turn around if you missed initially, and kill them.

If a Marth is in the air when he tries to counter rollout, you will go right behind him as he does the hit for counter. Or, as he sees you using rollout as a recovery, and you know he will counter, let go so you fly right over his head, turn and hit him in the back.

chubb-o-wub

Smash Journeyman
I did the same thing as Pasqual did today, only in the air far from the ledge. I'm up for Rollhugging, but Wubing just sounds funny. "Jigglypuff just wubbed the ledge".

Top Bottom