• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why pick toon Link over Link?

pika-power

Smash Apprentice
Okay, we all know this little chap is a clone. I am not going to order you to "get over it" only to stay out of my topic until you have, okey dokey?

Now, why pick Toon Link? What are the actual differences between them? Positives, Negatives, same, different?

Positive:
Speed

Negative:
Weight

Same:
Final Smash

Okay, now please attempt to fill in the chart on what toon Link has over Link, and what his disabilities are.

One is obviously the weight. Another is speed.

GO!

VVayfarer

Smash Journeyman
Pros: Toon Link is smaller, faster, and if you look far away, he looks like cel-shaded.
Cons: Well... he's not cel shaded... and his sword is kinda short.

//And of course TL has way better aerials than Link does.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Positive:
Speed
Back A is a slash that juggles way better than the kick

Negative:
Weight
Less range with sword and hookshot

Same:
Final Smash
Damage from bombs

Hm...I wasn't able to add much. I just can't think at the moment. XD

Ween

Smash Cadet
toon link's play style is really different. The way he feels (jumping and moving) is different. I think he's more floaty than link and can do more aerials. His dair also moves really fast. That's all I can tell I've only used toon link and not link but I've watched both of them play at the same time in this seems to be true.

mike2014

Smash Rookie
Toon Link has some weaker smashes,but is way faster than TP Link which gives him an advantage.

Iwan

Smash Ace
Toon Link's smash moves are quicker, he's a way faster character in general, his boomerang is WAY better than Link's, and his arials are (arguably) the best in the entire game. T-link's b-air is ridiculously good and one of the most comboable moves in the game, and his f-air is great at KOing. his dair spikes AND star KO's (depending on your timing), and he's better at getting back on stage because of his weight. It's easier for him to bomb jump too, because since he doesn't fall fast (link free falls like its his job), it gives time for the bomb to explode, resetting his upB animation. Basically Toon Link>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Link....times a billion.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Toon Link definitely has advantages, but if you don't want to be a jerk who just uses a character because he's good, then use who you like.

We here at the Toon Link forums, well most of us anyway, will play Toon Link because of who he is, not because he might be good.

Iwan

Smash Ace
Toon Link definitely has advantages, but if you don't want to be a jerk who just uses a character because he's good, then use who you like.

We here at the Toon Link forums, well most of us anyway, will play Toon Link because of who he is, not because he might be good.
lol...was that aimed towards me? I wasn't bashing any character in general. Anyone knows that ANY character in the entire game can be a GREAT character in the right hands. I was simply stating that Toon Link is really, really versatile and in general a more useful character from the get go. I'm positive there are people out there great with Adult Link (and for that matter, any other character). And btw.....I'm a HUGE zelda fan. I played 400 VS Matches to unlock toon link because the Wind Waker is one of my favorite games of all time. Hopefully that wasn't directed towards me. lol and if it was.....sorry? lol :p

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
Pros:
Faster
More combo-able (Bair)
Better boomerang
Better recovery
Cons:
Lighter
Floatier
Many moves slightly weaker
Shorter Ranged

Basically, he's going to die a lot easier off of the top, but if he's knocked off and not immediately killed, he's coming back better than Link is.

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
Better combo ability, better killing potential, better projectiles...

I honestly can't see a reason to use Link over Toon Link other
then not fitting your playstyle...

InsomniaK

Smash Apprentice
i dunno if this has been mentioned, but like TOON LINKS DOUBLE JUMP IS SOOOO **** HIGH. ITS LIKE, SOMETIMES WHEN I DOUBLE JUMP IM ALL LIKE " DID I JUST FOOTSTOOL JUMP THE AIR?"

Minipolce

Smash Rookie
Toon Link allows me to go toe-to-toe with chars like Sheik and Marth without havign to play cheaply and/or spam projectiles. His hookshot range sucks, though so less chain grabbing.

InsomniaK

Smash Apprentice
Toon Link allows me to go toe-to-toe with chars like Sheik and Marth without havign to play cheaply and/or spam projectiles. His hookshot range sucks, though so less chain grabbing.
do u know what chain grabbing is? lol

KazuTheNut

Smash Apprentice
Canada, Quebec, around the border between Ontario

I know that's why I'll play him. I always was the type of person who used characters I liked, not those who are good.

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
I haven't played Brawl yet, but I've always been a faithful Regular Link mainer. Sure I'll use Toon Link, but Reg Link for life.

And unless they've beaten Link with the nerf bat to hell and back, Link deals more damage than Toon Link and his projectile game (in the hands of a competent player) looks like it can match Toon Link's. Also, he's outdistanced.

And last but not least, while Toon Link is a combo *****, Link can kill quite easily.

So I have to disagree with you all: Toon Link is not greater than Link. Just different.

Dragnil

Smash Cadet
First Toon Link can't really float like Peach, because I havent found anyone who can replicate that glitch, and another pro or con is that toon links down air goes a lot faster than regular links.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
First Toon Link can't really float like Peach, because I havent found anyone who can replicate that glitch, and another pro or con is that toon links down air goes a lot faster than regular links.
In most cases, I believe it will be a pro. The problem is that the move is a spike, so unless you hit them when they are on the ground, they're not dying from it.

The con of the fastfall is only the fact that it spikes, so to use the spike, you must use it off the ledge. If you miss, you're going to die.

I'm going to test this a lot, see if I can get good with it off the stage. if not, I'll use something else to fight off the ledge with, but this would definitely be a good move to learn.

KazuTheNut

Smash Apprentice
Canada, Quebec, around the border between Ontario
It's good because the oponent won't have as much time to dodge, but it'll be harder to aim.

I don't think we'll actualy be ABLE to replicate it. Besides, I doubt you'll be able to move during the time you stuck there, and I still can't figure out HOW it'll help you any.

Top Bottom