• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why no shiny Squirtle?

Wiisnake

Smash Journeyman
Not because I want it, but because all the other Pokemon Trainer Pokemon got a Shiny color.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
I agree it's odd, but he doesn't have one simply because there are other priorities for the team; it'll probably get added one of these days, but good job bringing it up, I hadn't even realised :p.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Shiny Squirtle isn't different enough from the original color to warrant it, IMO.

vs.

DarkFlame

Smash Apprentice
Well, they could make a purple Squirtle with a green shell. I just also like Koopa Squirtle, that was cool lol. So, I would say to replace all-pink Squirtle with Shiny. It may not be completely Shiny to be purple instead of more blue than teal, but, blue to teal, yeah, that's not a very noticeable change, so, I would go with purple with the green shell. A lot more noticeable a change in color.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
But then there's overlap with the Koopa Troopa color, as he has a green shell, as well.

I think it would be better to branch out and find another new color entirely than to try to shoehorn something similar to the shiny color that doesn't stand out.

DarkFlame

Smash Apprentice
But then there's overlap with the Koopa Troopa color, as he has a green shell, as well.

I think it would be better to branch out and find another new color entirely than to try to shoehorn something similar to the shiny color that doesn't stand out.
And I just came up with an idea. How's about changing the Koopa Troopa color's shell to red rather than green, then putting in the purple Squirtle with green shell? That could probably work, as far as I know.

TheMarcStone

Smash Rookie
I feel kinda silly not knowing that was a Koopa color variant. I thought Squirtles alts were based off of other turtle Pokemon.

There's his original, then I noticed Turtwig and Torkoal. The Koopa and Pink ones stumped me, haha.

DarkFlame

Smash Apprentice
I feel kinda silly not knowing that was a Koopa color variant. I thought Squirtles alts were based off of other turtle Pokemon.

There's his original, then I noticed Turtwig and Torkoal. The Koopa and Pink ones stumped me, haha.
The pink one stumped me, too, but I didn't know of him emulating Turtwig and Torkoal! I have to see those costumes again! You feel silly, at least you know of Turtwig and Torkoal being copied! XD

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Well, they could make a purple Squirtle with a green shell. I just also like Koopa Squirtle, that was cool lol. So, I would say to replace all-pink Squirtle with Shiny. It may not be completely Shiny to be purple instead of more blue than teal, but, blue to teal, yeah, that's not a very noticeable change, so, I would go with purple with the green shell. A lot more noticeable a change in color.
We need like a purple and black Squirtle

Or purple and white

Anything with purple, really.
Looks like you guys got what you wanted with the Shiny Blastoise pallete.

Koopa shell squirtle is my favorite but I also think he'd be cooler with a red shell.

Also, I really want a costume, official or not, where his shell is a winged, spiked, blue turtle shell from Mario Kart.

Last edited:

OmegaPyron

Smash Cadet
How about make Shiny Squirtle much lighter (almost white) with a lighter green shell, so it could qualify as a White Squirtle, and make the Koopa have a Red Shell. I don't mind too much, but my friend, who is a poke maniac seemed disappointed that there was no Shiny Squirtle, considering that there was for Ivysaur and Charizard. Also, since there is alternate costumes for most characters, like MetaKnight, Link, Mario, Luigi, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Peach, why not have some for the Pokemon? Warturtle, and possibly Blastoise, Bulbasaur and possibly Venusaur, Charizard X/Y and/or possibly Ridley/MetaRidley. They already made all of those textures in Brawlvault.

DarkFlame

Smash Apprentice
How about make Shiny Squirtle much lighter (almost white) with a lighter green shell, so it could qualify as a White Squirtle, and make the Koopa have a Red Shell. I don't mind too much, but my friend, who is a poke maniac seemed disappointed that there was no Shiny Squirtle, considering that there was for Ivysaur and Charizard. Also, since there is alternate costumes for most characters, like MetaKnight, Link, Mario, Luigi, Fox, Falco, Wolf, Peach, why not have some for the Pokemon? Warturtle, and possibly Blastoise, Bulbasaur and possibly Venusaur, Charizard X/Y and/or possibly Ridley/MetaRidley. They already made all of those textures in Brawlvault.
Actually, I've already noticed that we do now have a Shiny Squirtle texture, at least somewhat. It seems they listened to my suggestion and made it purple with a green shell rather than the usual Shiny Squirtle colors which are unnoticeable from normal usually, along with giving the Koopa color a red shell.

Burnsy

Smash Lord
Look at shiny Blastoise, then back to PM's purple Squirtle. That's what they did, it isn't shiny squirtle.

Last edited:

DarkFlame

Smash Apprentice
Look at shiny Blastoise, then back to PM's purple Squirtle. That's what they did, it isn't shiny squirtle.
Oh, alright, well, the real Shiny Squirtle is not very noticeable from normal, but Shiny Blastoise is a very noticeable difference.

OmegaPyron

Smash Cadet
That's why if they made Shiny Squirtle lighter, and reg Squirtle darker, that way it would be easy to notice the difference. Hell, make all of the Shiny pokemon "Mewtwo" clones so there's even a bigger difference. Give them glowing red eyes. Maybe eve make regular Squirtle with the Leader's "Squirtle Squad" Shades. Besides that purple has no purpose. There isn't a purple squirtle, and it's supposed to tie into Blastoise, but because it's Squirtle and not Blastoise, it's a f*cking failure. I really don't care too much, but sometimes I just don't understand why they did what they did to the Pokemon.

They could fix that "No Final Smash Pkmn Dilemma" if they just reverted the Trio back to Pkmn Trainer and kept the "non-switch" upon KO and new down B attack instead of switch. Choosing Pkmn/Gameplay would still be identical to P:M, so Switching mid-battle would be non-existent or possibly only possible through a taunt.

This was already proven possible from Brawlvault's PSAs, including Samus using a Taunt to transform out of/into ZSuit Samus, "Shine" Link using his Final Smash from a taunt, and DivineOverlord's "Creator of Etereal Blade" (A Marth with 5 movesets, accessed via taunts.)

OmegaPyron

Smash Cadet
Lol, Pokemon Trainer? No thanks.
Choosing a pokemon from the select screen could be similar to Brawl. He'd just be in the background. Their Down Specials would still exist. They wouldn't switch upon KO.
GAMEPLAY would be the same! It's not even a loss. It's just a way to fix the game.

Optional: if they wanted to switch mid-battle, they could just use a taunt as the "switch" button.

Also, another solution could be using multiple PSA's under one character selection panel.
They could put Charizard for the first 6 portaits, 6 for Ivysaur, and the last 6 for Squirtle, just like P:M's Mario/ Dr. Mario.

Top Bottom