• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Last Stock Legends Is Important

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
Late last week, Last Stock Legends, a Kickstarter project hoping to document some of the most significant moments in Melee history, was launched. By spending time on some of the great moments in Melee, the team hopes to humanize the players and matches behind these exciting stories. The team is comprised of the best the Smash community has to offer. Former commentator Wynton 'progducto' Smith, community videographer Jason 'Papapaint' Durso, stats man Daniel 'tafokints' Lee and more are on board to make this project everything it can be.

Learn more about Last Stock Legends at its Kickstarter page!

Last Stock Legends is the history of our community.
Currently, the project is sitting at about two-thirds of the way to its goal with $4,125 dollars raised. I'm here to talk to you all today as a lover of Smash. Last Stock Legends is a shared history. Whether you love Melee or have never even touched it, Melee is what got us here, and we owe it to the Smashers who came before us to honor their contributions to the series we love so much.

You Might Not Know This, But...

What if I told you that The Best Player in The World isn't one of the Gods of Melee? What if I told you one of the most popular players of the Golden Age of Melee was actually a Bowser main? What if I told you Melee was the first game to popularize combo videos? If you've been around since the early days, you might know all these things. But what about the new generation of Smashers? A large part of our community has grown up on Twitch streams, watching sponsored players fight for hundreds if not thousands of dollars. They know the Smashers from the documentary and that's a great start, but there's so much more to be learned.

There are tons of important moments in Melee history still to be discovered in the archives

Last Stock Legends is taking a new route into Smash history. Instead of tackling long timelines the way The Smash Documentary did, Last Stock Legends is melting down small moments - single matches, sets, and even moments - and giving them up close and personal takes from the people they affected most. Want to know how Zhu felt during the Wombo Combo? How about Mango and Armada's thoughts on facing each other for the first time, all the way back at Genesis in 2009? These are pivotal moments in Smash history, and they're getting put under a microscope. Wouldn't you want to take a look?

Don't Stop Now

To start, Last Stock Legends is looking to do a run of eight videos, each capturing a moment of Melee history. But there's more to be done than that. Melee is a game with a history that spans over a decade - there are so many moments to talk about, so many people that have gone without their due credit. If this project truly takes off, who knows how many moments from the past will be honored?

The project started out of the gate strong, getting over half of its funding in a single day. That said, Last Stock Legends still needs your help. If you love Smash, consider donating. I know I will be.

----

Still want to learn more about the project? Follow Last Stock Legends online:

Twitter
Last Stock Legends AMA!
Kickstarter Page

Editor's Note: Hey guys, The Derrit here. While I'm sure I echo the sentiments of many on the Smashboards staff, this piece is purely my opinion - as a fellow Smash historian, I think it's really important to see this project flourish. The LSL team is made up of some really stand-up guys, and I can't think of a better group of guys to entrust with our community's storied past. If you've got any questions for me about the project, or Smash in general, Tweet me up at @TheDerrit.

Last edited:

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Awww.....going back to VCR tapes back then. The good days.....I guess. Or IDK are those VCR tapes?

Last edited:

NalsXR

Smash Cadet
Dang those Ice Climbers

There's flipping two of them man

Drill l canceling once more

---

Roy has been my boy

But his friend marth is so cool!

So would it be ok...?

---

Wistful eyes look away

He could not move fast enough

'What could I have done?'

Last edited:

C_Mill24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C-Mill24
3DS FC
3609-1632-1621
First pledge I've ever made on Kickstarter. Really excited to see this project become a reality.

WOMBO COMBO!

Eureka

Smash Ace
So who's "the best player in the world" who isn't one of the gods of melee?
That's almost certainly referring to Ken, the "King of Smash" and the man solely responsible for elevating Marth gameplay beyond rolling and f-smash spamming. No one has ever reached the level of complete dominance that Ken had during his prime, there's a reason Marth's most famous combo is named after him.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
So this is like a Melee version of ESPN's 30 for 30?

Huh. Hope we eventually see stuff like this for the other Smash games as well.

Last edited:

The Derrit

Smash Lord
BRoomer
That's almost certainly referring to Ken, the "King of Smash" and the man solely responsible for elevating Marth gameplay beyond rolling and f-smash spamming. No one has ever reached the level of complete dominance that Ken had during his prime, there's a reason Marth's most famous combo is named after him.
You are almost (read 100%) certainly incorrect.

NGUY (guitarstage)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
guitarstage
Late last week, Last Stock Legends, a Kickstarter project hoping to document some of the most significant moments in Melee history, was launched. By spending time on some of the great moments in Melee, the team hopes to give new. The team is comprised of the best the Smash community has to offer. Former commentator Wynton 'progducto' Smith, community videographer Jason 'Papapaint' Durso, stats man Jason 'tafokints' Lee and more are on board to make this project everything it can be.

Learn more about Last Stock Legends at its Kickstarter page!

Last Stock Legends is the history of our community.
Currently, the project is sitting at about two-thirds of the way to its goal with $4,125 dollars raised. I'm here to talk to you all today as a lover of Smash. Last Stock Legends is a shared history. Whether you love Melee or have never even touched it, Melee is what got us here, and we owe it to the Smashers who came before us to honor their contributions to the series we love so much.

You Might Not Know This, But...

What if I told you that The Best Player in The World isn't one of the Gods of Melee? What if I told you one of the most popular players of the Golden Age of Melee was actually a Bowser main? What if I told you Melee was the first game to popularize combo videos? If you've been around since the early days, you might know all these things. But what about the new generation of Smashers? A large part of our community has grown up on Twitch streams, watching sponsored players fight for hundreds if not thousands of dollars. They know the Smashers from the documentary and that's a great start, but there's so much more to be learned.

There are tons of important moments in Melee history still to be discovered in the archives

Last Stock Legends is taking a new route into Smash history. Instead of tackling long timelines the way The Smash Documentary did, Last Stock Legends is melting down small moments - single matches, sets, and even moments - and giving them up close and personal takes from the people they affected most. Want to know how Zhu felt during the Wombo Combo? How about Mango and Armada's thoughts on facing each other for the first time, all the way back at Genesis in 2009? These are pivotal moments in Smash history, and they're getting put under a microscope. Wouldn't you want to take a look?

Don't Stop Now

To start, Last Stock Legends is looking to do a run of eight videos, each capturing a moment of Melee history. But there's more to be done than that. Melee is a game with a history that spans over a decade - there are so many moments to talk about, so many people that have gone without their due credit. If this project truly takes off, who knows how many moments from the past will be honored?

The project started out of the gate strong, getting over half of its funding in a single day. That said, Last Stock Legends still needs your help. If you love Smash, consider donating. I know I will be.

----

Still want to learn more about the project? Follow Last Stock Legends online:

Twitter
Last Stock Legends AMA!
Kickstarter Page

Editor's Note: Hey guys, The Derrit here. While I'm sure I echo the sentiments of many on the Smashboards staff, this piece is purely my opinion - as a fellow Smash historian, I think it's really important to see this project flourish. The LSL team is made up of some really stand-up guys, and I can't think of a better group of guys to entrust with our community's storied past. If you've got any questions for me about the project, or Smash in general, Tweet me up at @TheDerrit.
GiMPY FISH HYPE xd

Speed Stick 2400

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpeedStick2400
3DS FC
4699-7838-3944
To be honest, i'd rather not back a project like this, but come on! This seems really cool. Watching videos of Melee is something I tend to do a lot on my free time, so seeing obscure video archives of Melee sounds pretty good.

Chaos_Exalted

Smash Cadet
As a guy who wants to start going into the competitive smash scene I would love for this to happen since I'm planning to do sm4sh and melee tournaments. This would help a lot of beginners and veterans alike to learn how to improve their skills. I wish I had money to donate for this, but I dont. I hope more people see this and decide to donate for it. Not just for them but for everyone!

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Wow over 4 grand already!! If I had spare money I would pledge as well but I got kids to feed XD

Thank you so much to everyone who has contributed so far, as an old school smasher this brings me immense joy.

Not enough new smashers realize just how much epicness was involved in the old days of melee, and how it grew to be what it is today.

I hope darkrain gets his own section. He was the first falcon after Isai to truly blow my mind....

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
I lack conditions to back this project, but it is a great idea. Melee is a game with a big history, a history that must not be forgotten because its scene has grown and changed more than any competitive game. I am mainly curious about the matches with Items and about the discovery of Wavedashing.

Last edited:

Smapo

Smash Rookie
Why can't kickstarter take paypal cash. I'm all out of cash cash right now but I have ~100€ laying around on my paypal account. :(

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Glad to hear long forgotten smashers like gimpyfish and tang and the like may be getting their due, and getting to see a closer look at Melee as a whole.

Top Bottom